I'm just wondering what your (the crackberry community) thoughts are.

The news site The Globe and Mail online has a limitation of 10 free articles to read per month for free customers. After that, you either have to become a paid subscriber or get no access to the remaining articles. Because it puts a cookie (*cough* erase browser history *cough*), that stops the user from viewing articles once they go 10 over.

Well when I went 10 articles over I got this:

BlackBerry advertising on the news site the Globe and Mail - Does it really work?-blackberry-globe.png

I thought cool, thanks BlackBerry. But while I have a Z30, it's nothing that would make me say "huh, I should check out the device".

Do advertisements like this really work or is it just BlackBerry marketing at their finest?

(Either way, thanks BlackBerry for the 10 more articles).
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    11-28-13 10:14 AM
    I think it's extremely important for BB to continue advertising like this to show that they still "exist", no matter if this spcific ad works or not. Just continue.
    pcguy514 likes this.
    11-28-13 11:15 AM
    Considering how much hate BlackBerry gets, giving things like this might be a way to get some "thanks BlackBerry!"
    pcguy514 likes this.
    11-28-13 11:18 AM
    Don't particularly think the ad works but I agree with georg4BB that BB must at least continue to show they are still alive.
    11-28-13 11:32 AM
    Considering that the typical audience of this newspaper is toward educated ppl and financial types and other business professionals, which happens to be BlackBerry s target market. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is good advertising.

Posted via CB10
    oilgeo10 and aminrajabi like this.
    11-28-13 11:36 AM
    For some reason that add offends me. It just feels negative.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-13 11:44 AM
    I was just about to make a post on this.
    I really don't know what to think about this. A part of me agrees with the above poster that regardless of the impact of the ad, putting BB in people's faces shows that the company still exists is a good thing... but then I'm of the opinion that this ad really doesn't push BB.
    What does giving away free articles have anything to do with BB? Nothing, I say. Does it show off any features? Bring about any emotional connections to the brand? Nope.
    Unless someone points out some reasons otherwise, this once again is a bonehead marketing move that doesn't push the brand forward and is hopefully the last of Boulben's work that will surface
    11-28-13 11:45 AM
    Yeah, the more i think about it. Is black, dark the words come across as threatening. I didn't even want to read the smaller print, and what i get to read 10 more articles if i go buy a blackberry? This is a poor job isn't advertising supposed to make people feel positive about products.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-13 12:02 PM
    The benefits of online advertising have long been questioned, there's no real way to check their effectiveness. Where online advertising really wins is just getting a name in front of eyeballs, perhaps millions of times per day. If someone like BlackBerry didn't advertise at all online then there's a chance that few will check out their product sometime in the future, but by keeping brand awareness alive the chances are significantly improved that you'll get people to check out current or future product. BlackBerry advertises on CrackBerry all the time and yet you may ask why would they bother here, it's like preaching to the converted? Well, it's the converted you have to keep on side to succeed in the future, that's why sites like G&M, National Post, NY Times, etc are ideal from brands like BlackBerry.
    11-28-13 12:14 PM
    In a way I also feel the add is too ...dark, black dull....I would not look at it twice. Does it jump out at me? No, and I fit the profile of the supposed target market. Definitely doesn't work for me.
    11-28-13 12:15 PM
    I agree with the post that they need to still show they are alive and kicking.

The black, well I don't think of it as depressing just the usual "suits" and business look. But I do think they needed to show of some feature or something. Maybe have a video ad or something?
    11-28-13 01:40 PM
    Posted via CB10
    11-28-13 04:24 PM
    If you get the Globe and Mail App on OS10, there is no limit to the amount of articles. It seems to bypass the paywall.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-13 05:41 PM
    I've seen this ad in a few places, but it only seems to be on Canadian sites. Has anyone seen this on a US or European site? Seems like a waste of advertising budget to advertise to what is likely your biggest market already.

Sent from my BlackBerry Q10
    11-28-13 07:37 PM
    Personally, I like the Ad.
    It demands your attention and I can see that the somewhat ambiguous and bold initial statement compels a person to read the reassuring fine print for some explanation.
    Then it succeeds in stating a clear benefit.
    Good placement and it works for me.
    It's hopefully a strong first step in a carefully planned campaign.

CB10 via Z10
    11-29-13 03:49 AM
    Advertising works and since many think BlackBerry is already dead anything that puts the name and the product out there helps. Also it does touch the connection some have with the phone.

They don't need to advertise to fan boys who by every phone when it comes and complain later when the price goes down. There's no pleasing them anyway.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-13 08:10 AM
    It only helps if the editorials quit slamming the company with

Sent from the future on my Z10.
    11-29-13 01:37 PM
    It only works if the writers quit slamming BlackBerry in the editorials.

Sent from the future on my Z10.
    ibpluto likes this.
    11-29-13 01:40 PM
    Very little will change until the media begins reporting positive news. They have to advertise, sadly it will at best have only stabilizing effects, not forward movement. Advertising is far more effective as positive reinforcement, and the core of propoganda comes from media both commercially and via investor relations.

If you hear a feel good story or a good review, THEN see an advertising....thats when sparks begin to fly. When you read a scathing article, and see an advertisement, it loses credibility.

Blackberry needs to get some folks in mainstream on board, let's see if Chen can do that.
    11-29-13 01:53 PM