10-02-13 07:56 PM
32 12
tools
    But here we are seeing exactly the same pattern repeat itself. Now people (including Watsa!) are saying never mind about the consumer market, we'll just succeed in the enterprise market instead.

But again, the consumer market is the leading indicator. Where consumer preference goes, so goes the enterprise (albeit with a little delay). So I don't understand the enterprise strategy, unless they have some new enterprise focused product in development that we don't know about.

I think an enterprise-focused BlackBerry might actually be worth much less than $9/share.
    Prem Watsa isn't a tech executive. From what I know, BBRY is his only tech investment to date. I think people need to interpret what Watsa says carefully because his motivation is as much to preserve and enhance his existing investment in BBRY as it is to ensure that BBRY has a future. If BBRY doesn't have a future, Watsa's investment is largely worthless so by talking up "enterprise", he's talking up his firm's position.

But what if this is all sincere and Watsa truly believes that the future of BBRY is, indeed, enterprise. This would be a peculiar turn of events because less than a year ago, the board (on which Watsa sat) and senior management (ie. Thorsten Heins) made is clear that BBRY could no longer afford to remain focused on enterprise and had to broaden BBRY's appeal to the consumer market. In less than a year, these very same people are saying that BBRY's future is 100% tied to enterprise. It begs the question then: what has materially changed in the marketplace from fall/winter 2012 to summer/fall 2013 that would now make enterprise a viable business line for BBRY when it wasn't 8-12 months ago?
    mmarco likes this.
    10-02-13 02:34 PM
    Looks like another hint that they may be exiting the consumer market. Sad.

Posted via CB10
    Too bad the corporate and government market want the same things consumers do: APPS. Apps that connect to phone systems, productivity apps, etc.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 02:51 PM
    But here we are seeing exactly the same pattern repeat itself. Now people (including Watsa!) are saying never mind about the consumer market, we'll just succeed in the enterprise market instead.

But again, the consumer market is the leading indicator. Where consumer preference goes, so goes the enterprise (albeit with a little delay). So I don't understand the enterprise strategy, unless they have some new enterprise focused product in development that we don't know about.

I think an enterprise-focused BlackBerry might actually be worth much less than $9/share.
    I agree that we're seeing blackberry regress to the same mentality that led to their decline. A "prosumer" phone just sounds like a phone that doesn't draw consumer interest and thus ignored by most app developers.

Further, due to economies of scale in manufacturing, I don't see how this prosumer phone would be able to offer competitive specs at reasonable prices even for a prosumer crowd willing to pay a premium. It's not like the prosumer device will offer specs that can't be matched by the consumer-market oriented phones. Does anyone think that the prosumer phone will be able to out-spec Samsung?

So basically, the prosumer phone will be over-priced and lack apps. How is that any different than what's going on now with BB10 phones?
    Last edited by chr1sny; 10-02-13 at 05:31 PM. Reason: spelling
    10-02-13 05:30 PM

100% agree with this. The lines blurred between consumer and enterprise a long time ago.

I also don't get the "prosumer" angle. If you want to target the high-end consumer with a premium price, you've got to justify that price. For what reason would a prosumer want to buy a device that just does email and phone calls, when you could instead get it all with an iPhone/Android device (and for cheaper)? Is "prosumer" a codeword for sucker?
    mmarco likes this.
    10-02-13 05:57 PM
    I honestly don't know why BlackBerry wasn't building it's own applications. They make the twitter & FB apps in-house, should have done the same for instagram, netflix, hulu etc... All that talent wasted on FB for christ sake. And where were T.A.T. through all this!, what could they have done with an instagram app I wonder.
    One thing that is clear if anything is -- BlackBerry has been resource constrained. As it is they don't have enough developers that can make BlackBerry 10 hum. Look how late support for headless apps is for example. Look at the missing features from BBOS that they likely want to include to various degrees.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1443
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-02-13 06:15 PM
    when people (consumers ans prosumers) talks about BB10 phones they'll say that's a good phone. Everybody that touch on a Z10 say it's a good phone.

So, why it's selling ??

Maybe apps. For interprise, it's the some problem, apps... They'll need apps
    10-02-13 06:34 PM
    Again. Marketing failure. When there are other choices, you need a differentiator.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 07:56 PM
32 12