10-02-13 07:56 PM
32 12
tools
    Not that this will come as a surprise to anyone, but here it is anyway. The good news is that U.S. consumers are off the hook.

http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2013/10...nce-dominated/

BlackBerry has admitted for the first time that it is losing its appeal in the emerging markets that have traditionally been its best performing regions, as lower-priced smartphones from competitors and a lack of BlackBerry apps turn customers away.

In a filing first spotted by the New York Times which was released on Tuesday, having been initially delayed, the struggling firm detailed the truths behind its collapsing business.

In particular, it specifically namechecks competitively priced Android phones and its lack of apps as reasons why it is losing market share across Asia, Africa and Latin America

From the filing:

The intense competition impacting the Companys financial and operational results that previously affected demand in the United States market is now being experienced globally, including in international markets where the Company has historically experienced rapid growth.

The increase in competition encountered by the Company in international markets is due to the recent entry into those markets of global competitors offering high end devices that compete with the Companys BlackBerry 10 devices, as well as other competitors targeting those markets with lower end Android-based devices that compete with the Companys lower cost devices.

The decline can also be attributed to consumer preferences for devices with access to the broadest number of applications, such as those available in the iOS and Android environments.
    10-02-13 03:18 AM
    Isn't this what people on Crackberry have been warning about since '09 or '10?!?
    10-02-13 03:31 AM
    It doesn't surprise me at all and I have been saying that for quite some time now.
    The prediction actually was a pretty easy one, as BlackBerry's and BIS' value propositions were steadily getting worse in the last 3 years.

There was hope with the BB10 introduction, but BlackBerry blew it completely with their pricing.
    And as the quoted article evoked, low-cost Android phones see an enormous growth since quite some time now.

It's good to hear it from BlackBerry themselves, because it means that pretty much everyone will have understood it in a short period of time, if there were any doubts before.

It's kind of worrying though, that the emerging markets that have sustained BlackBerry's userbase growth in the last 2-3 years, are moving so rapidly to other platforms.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 10-02-13 at 06:49 AM.
    szlevi, southlander and kbz1960 like this.
    10-02-13 05:53 AM
    So if anyone says to you "apps don't matter" tell them that BBRY disagree.
    10-02-13 05:57 AM
    Pretty much people in those regions had to 'settle' for BlackBerry for all these years for one reason or another (device price/availability, data price etc),.. doesn't mean they weren't longing for the shiny stuff they saw on TV, movies, magazines and everywhere else. Now they can get it (in some form).

BlackBerry, "the thing you were stuck with".

Posted via CB10
    Mack Gans likes this.
    10-02-13 06:09 AM
    What's interesting is that BBRY knows what the problem is, but has apparently been helpless or powerless to do anything about it. Hence the scramble back to enterprise as the "new" focus. Unfortunately, enterprise has changed, and they're going to run headfirst into BYOD as the problem there. The only possible salvation is hanging on to the BB-only entities, e.g., that remaining handful of government agencies and private institutions. I'm not sure that's a prescription for survival at this point, however.
    anon1727506, boi2012 and kbz1960 like this.
    10-02-13 06:20 AM
    Was only a matter of time. The US was a leading indicator, not an anomaly. Other countries are finally catching up. BlackBerry waited too long to respond to iOS and Android copied them.

Posted via CB10
    Mack Gans likes this.
    10-02-13 06:27 AM
    Problem is BlackBerry doesn't have low cost BB10 handsets and Android has tons of low cost handsets. The Q5 should be priced in the $100-200 range and aimed only at emerging markets. Instead it's $300-400 which leaves cheap BB7 devices which are looking pretty long in the tooth now.

Posted via CB10
    Mack Gans likes this.
    10-02-13 07:08 AM
    I honestly don't know why BlackBerry wasn't building it's own applications. They make the twitter & FB apps in-house, should have done the same for instagram, netflix, hulu etc... All that talent wasted on FB for christ sake. And where were T.A.T. through all this!, what could they have done with an instagram app I wonder.
    mmarco, kbz1960 and Mack Gans like this.
    10-02-13 07:11 AM
    At least we have a sell-through number for BB10 devices. Sell-through was 1.7 million BB10 phones for the quarter. I don't remember seeing that before.

Looking at revenue in Indonesia, I wonder where that 300% growth claim that we heard a couple weeks ago came from?
    chr1sny likes this.
    10-02-13 07:23 AM
    At least we have a sell-through number for BB10 devices. Sell-through was 1.7 million BB10 phones for the quarter. I don't remember seeing that before.

Looking at revenue in Indonesia, I wonder where that 300% growth claim that we heard a couple weeks ago came from?
    Yeah, that's the most important/interesting figure that came out of this report and yet almost nobody is talking about it. 1.7M BB 10 devices for an entire quarter. And it's on the _decline_ according to BlackBerry!

That's like...the amount of Android devices activated per day.
    Mack Gans and chr1sny like this.
    10-02-13 07:28 AM
    Was only a matter of time. The US was a leading indicator, not an anomaly. Other countries are finally catching up. BlackBerry waited too long to respond to iOS and Android copied them.

Posted via CB10
    Don't say that! The US is not the whole world! Just because people in the US don't like BlackBerry because they aren't a US company, doesn't mean the rest of the world will not use their wonderful devices!

It never had to do with the US, but with more mature networks with higher speeds. BBOS devices might have been 3G capable, but "tied" to the BlackBerry's NOC those devices never left 1G speeds. Add in file size limitation the sucky browser and small screen sizes and ALWAYS outdated hardware, there is no wonder that people lost interest in BlackBerry. As networks across the world have expanded and choices in OEM have become available, people have found device that better meet their needs. Now with BB10 BlackBerry lost their last foot hold in most of these markets, BIS with lower BB data plans being offered by many carriers.

And it's the same for their supposed enterprise niche... as these markets start to see other devices that provide security and management features - pricing, flexibility and ecosystem are going to be push BB into a smaller and smaller niche.

I could see BB hanging on a few years, but ultimately even enterprise is going to want more than just a secure communications device. Mobile Computing is the future, but BB's path of everything being open and free with all apps being HTML5 and browser based.... is most likely not where Apple or Google want to lead us.
    10-02-13 07:30 AM
    I've seen it first hand while on business trips to the Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia. Where once I had several BBM/Pin contacts from clients in those countries, now I only have a handful. I used to see BB almost everywhere in Jakarta and relatively frequently in Manila/Makati and Kuala Lumpur. On my last few trips, I barely saw any BB in the Philippines and Malaysia and a dwindling number in Indonesia. With the "developing" markets basically joining the US and Western Europe in giving BB a big thumbs down, where does BB go now?
    10-02-13 07:33 AM
    Not the whole world, just their biggest, most important market.

Don't say that! The US is not the whole world! Just because people in the US don't like BlackBerry because they aren't a US company, doesn't mean the rest of the world will not use their wonderful devices!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-02-13 07:36 AM
    Looks like another hint that they may be exiting the consumer market. Sad.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 07:41 AM
    It proves that no amount spin can mask reality. When there are no queues to buy a device and when so few of them are found in the wild, it means that no one is actually buying them!
    10-02-13 07:47 AM
    That's what happens when you make phones that are too expensive. CHEAP LUMIAS!! That should have been BlackBerry model. Cheap, good phones.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 08:20 AM
    I honestly don't know why BlackBerry wasn't building it's own applications. They make the twitter & FB apps in-house, should have done the same for instagram, netflix, hulu etc... All that talent wasted on FB for christ sake. And where were T.A.T. through all this!, what could they have done with an instagram app I wonder.
    i haven't used any BB10 inhouse app yet, but judging by inhouse app from playbook they should never make another app themselves if its the same quality. I don't think other company would even let them create it. ppl might think those are official apps from them and ruin their reputation.
    10-02-13 08:52 AM
    The US was always an indicator of what was to come, and not a unique market. This was bound to happen as networks in other countries matured and the competition entered new markets. A few months ago, there were some members that suggested the company may be better off pulling out of the US altogether and focusing on the rest if the world. I think this shows that they have to be able to make a dent in the US first in order to have a shot at holding on everywhere else.
    10-02-13 09:01 AM

Those sell through numbers are almost worthy of their own post.
    Mack Gans likes this.
    10-02-13 10:04 AM

don't hope to much from indonesia from last report blackberry market share already decline very fast from 39% to 21% . while samsung still number one smartphone vendor in here..

source :
    BlackBerry failure: A lesson for Apple, Samsung - Times Of India

BlackBuried: Indonesia failings offer lessons for Apple, Samsung | Reuters

local source :
    blackberry indonesia admitted their marketshare in indonesia are declining
    BlackBerry akui pangsa pasar di Indonesia turun | merdeka.com
    codehut likes this.
    10-02-13 10:05 AM
    So if anyone says to you "apps don't matter" tell them that BBRY disagree.
    it doesnt really mean that BB is saying they agree with it... they are simply saying that they believe the consumer market is failing because consumers want apps, but if they are moving away from consumers that they dont place that big of an importance on apps.

the quote doesnt say, "we are trying to get more apps' it gives a possible reason for the decline... not stating if BB agrees or not.
    10-02-13 10:27 AM
    They know consumers want apps. Prosumers (stupid word) want apps too. They will find that people aren't going to pay a lot of money for a phone that simply gets emails and calls. BYOD can do this. I think they are clearly saying apps are important and they know it. They are seemingly admitting to what the rest of the world has known for years. Why couldn't they figure this out sooner?

Posted via CB10
    mmarco likes this.
    10-02-13 10:54 AM
    BBRY has lost all credibility. I'm amazed anyone wants to buy it for $9 per share. It needs to be shut down before they can waste any more of their shareholder's money. The patents need to go to a real company that can use them to develop products that people actually want.
    phuoc likes this.
    10-02-13 11:56 AM
    The US was always an indicator of what was to come, and not a unique market. This was bound to happen as networks in other countries matured and the competition entered new markets. A few months ago, there were some members that suggested the company may be better off pulling out of the US altogether and focusing on the rest if the world. I think this shows that they have to be able to make a dent in the US first in order to have a shot at holding on everywhere else.
    But here we are seeing exactly the same pattern repeat itself. Now people (including Watsa!) are saying never mind about the consumer market, we'll just succeed in the enterprise market instead.

But again, the consumer market is the leading indicator. Where consumer preference goes, so goes the enterprise (albeit with a little delay). So I don't understand the enterprise strategy, unless they have some new enterprise focused product in development that we don't know about.

I think an enterprise-focused BlackBerry might actually be worth much less than $9/share.
    NYC10065, chr1sny and codehut like this.
    10-02-13 12:34 PM
32 12