08-01-14 03:17 PM
53 123
tools
    BlackBerry... has entered into an agreement to acquire Secusmart GmbH, a leader in high-security voice and data encryption and anti-eavesdropping solutions...
    More -
    CrackBerry.com | BlackBerry announces acquisition of mobile security company Secusmart

? Rockin my StormTrooper Z10 ?
    Last edited by Elite1; 07-30-14 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Replaced external link with link to CB article
    07-29-14 09:12 AM
    Same company the German government uses in conjunction with their Berries

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 09:22 AM
    Agreed. This is a huge boom (no pun intended) for BlackBerry and Enterprise level customers. Doesn't look like bit will be offered to consumers though.

CB has now posted this (the breaking news, not my post) on their front page and is being followed heavily there.

? Rockin my StormTrooper Z10 ?
    07-29-14 09:28 AM
    Ooh big news!! Exciting times ahead!

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    07-29-14 09:48 AM
    07-29-14 10:04 AM
    Just read Zdnet BlackBerry acquires Secusmart, ups voice security ante | ZDNet article about it and particularly appreciated that part:

"Chen also noted that the company is focused on regulated industries such as government, finance, energy and healthcare. "Those markets equate to half of IT spending in mobile," said Chen.

As for the acquisition of Secusmart, Chen said that the two partners will integrate BlackBerry devices and security software to create security for "classified communications for the country's highest public officials."
    (...)
    "The uber-secure message assumes that security and managing risk will be the winning selling point for BlackBerry. After all, if BlackBerry can nail security for regulated industries it'll be good for all enterprises.

BlackBerry boasts customers that include all G7 governments, 16 of the G20 governments, 10 out of 10 of the largest global enterprises in the pharmaceutical, legal and automotive industries, and the five largest oil and gas companies. The big question is whether those governments and enterprises see BlackBerry as a legacy provider or innovation partner for the future."

Seems like a very good strategy and the right move to stabilise Blackberry before considering in the long run to gain back the trendy consumers' market.

Meanwhile security wise (on another ground, it's strictly a commercial issue but still about security) Apple Store's bloop is really incredible:
    The ridiculously simple con that allowed a fraudster to take Apple for $309k | 9to5Mac

"You wouldn’t think it would be easy to use a debit card on a closed account to scam an Apple Store out of around $7200’s worth of kit, but that’s what a 24-year-old fraudster is alleged to have done not just once but a total of 42 times – netting a total haul worth $309,768.

The Tampa Bay Times reports that the East Tampa resident Sharron Parrish used an absurdly simple method to persuade Apple Store staff to override payment terminals after his transactions were declined …

When a card transaction is declined by a bank, sales clerks have the option of phoning the bank to see whether they will authorize the transaction. If the bank agrees, they issue the clerk with an override code they can tap into the terminal to allow the transaction to go through.

The problem is: the system doesn’t check this code – only the number of digits. This crazily lax-sounding security shouldn’t normally matter, as the clerk should only ever override a declined transaction after speaking with the bank on the phone. But what Parrish did was to pretend to call his bank, then tell the clerk they’d okayed it and asked them to tap in the code – which Parrish simply made up.

Some Apple Store staff refused to do it, and Parrish left others stores without any goods when staff grew suspicious, but on 42 occasions the clerks did as asked and forced the transaction through."

Security seems to have chosen its side in the mobile market.
    07-29-14 10:06 AM
    Chen is going to start hiring too!! BB is back and thank you Chen
    07-29-14 10:10 AM
    Meanwhile security wise (on another ground, it's strictly a commercial issue but still about security) Apple Store's bloop is really incredible:
    The ridiculously simple con that allowed a fraudster to take Apple for $309k | 9to5Mac

"You wouldn’t think it would be easy to use a debit card on a closed account to scam an Apple Store out of around $7200’s worth of kit, but that’s what a 24-year-old fraudster is alleged to have done not just once but a total of 42 times – netting a total haul worth $309,768.

The Tampa Bay Times reports that the East Tampa resident Sharron Parrish used an absurdly simple method to persuade Apple Store staff to override payment terminals after his transactions were declined …

When a card transaction is declined by a bank, sales clerks have the option of phoning the bank to see whether they will authorize the transaction. If the bank agrees, they issue the clerk with an override code they can tap into the terminal to allow the transaction to go through.

The problem is: the system doesn’t check this code – only the number of digits. This crazily lax-sounding security shouldn’t normally matter, as the clerk should only ever override a declined transaction after speaking with the bank on the phone. But what Parrish did was to pretend to call his bank, then tell the clerk they’d okayed it and asked them to tap in the code – which Parrish simply made up.

Some Apple Store staff refused to do it, and Parrish left others stores without any goods when staff grew suspicious, but on 42 occasions the clerks did as asked and forced the transaction through."

Security seems to have chosen its side in the mobile market.
    What does stupid sales staff have to do with mobile security?
    JeepBB and dusdal like this.
    07-29-14 10:37 AM
    Secusmart had total of five employees..

They did have revenues of 4 Million last year.... no report of how much was profit. Thinking it didn't cost Chen too much to acquire Secusmart.

Older profile on the company... it has grown some.
    Last edited by scalemaster34; 07-30-14 at 04:48 PM.
    nick13b likes this.
    07-29-14 10:39 AM
    Meanwhile, shares are down. Investors nowadays are complete morons. Give a monkey 2 buttons (buy and sell) and it will make better choices most of the time.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 10:40 AM
    Chen is going to start hiring too!! BB is back and thank you Chen
    John Chen is an clever fox!

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 10:41 AM

They did have revenues of 4 Million last year.... no report of how much was profit. Thinking it didn't cost Chen too much to acquire Secusmart.
    Wow. This is a tiny company with tiny revenues. Not a game changer.
    07-29-14 10:41 AM
    What does stupid sales staff have to do with mobile security?
    it's why i wrote:
    "Meanwhile security wise (on another ground, it's strictly a commercial issue but still about security)"
    So nothing to do except while Blackberry makes the news for being associated to Security, Apple does appear as unsecure for a simple transaction in their shop.
    It was a simple parallel on two different grounds about security.
    A bit of a stretch i must admitbbut just read about it and didn't want to make a thread about it
    Last edited by BroncoVAL; 07-29-14 at 10:55 AM.
    07-29-14 10:42 AM

They have between 51 and 200 employees according to their LinkedIn profile.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 10:45 AM
    Meanwhile, shares are down. Investors nowadays are complete morons. Give a monkey 2 buttons (buy and sell) and it will make better choices most of the time.

Posted via CB10
    nothing new...
    Any Monkey Can Beat The Market - Forbes
    07-29-14 10:45 AM
    Yeah, I don't understand how the stock could drop -_- people are such morons

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 11:00 AM
    Looks like the idiots got it eventually. It took them an hour to decipher the press release. Unbelievable...

Edit: or not, I spoke too early... they are still digesting )
    07-29-14 11:02 AM
    Looks like the idiots got it eventually. It took them an hour to decipher the press release. Unbelievable...

Alas! as long as Blackberry won't have gained back a steady position on the market (and they look at the mobile market share above all... so it's quite tricky as Blackberry is really close to non existent in some countries... )they will still be affected by yo-yo dieting strategy of brokers and other small shareholders.
    I still believe in Blackberry to make it in the short/long term (they could begin by doubling their market share in Europe with the next devices to come) and actually consider to buy some shares myself...
    07-29-14 11:12 AM
    Wow. This is a tiny company with tiny revenues. Not a game changer.
    This is a piece they can add to their current technology that makes their security better. They got it at a low cost and it fits their portfolio. As a single entity its not a game changer but added to the other tech blackberry has its a very complete package. Good on them for doing this. No its not some bemoth like sap,oracle or dell it keeps them nimble. IBM and Apple are going to have a tough time two large companies with different philosophies. We will all look back and say that wasn't a really good deal after all.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-29-14 11:53 AM
    3 words: "Fencing their security niche" it's difficult to see how this could be a bad thing.
    07-29-14 12:06 PM
    The stock is going down because chen specifically mentioned "hiring". This increases cost, and lowers profit. Until sales increase, or very clear prospects of sales increasing, the stock will not go up.

07-29-14 12:13 PM
    Alas! as long as Blackberry won't have gained back a steady position on the market (and they look at the mobile market share above all... so it's quite tricky as Blackberry is really close to non existent in some countries... )they will still be affected by yo-yo dieting strategy of brokers and other small shareholders.
    I still believe in Blackberry to make it in the short/long term (they could begin by doubling their market share in Europe with the next devices to come) and actually consider to buy some shares myself...
    BlackBerry as a device manufacturer is indeed almost non existent. However, BlackBerry is much more than that. BES and BBM alone are worth more than the current market cap. BES is the number one MDM solution on the market today (in terms of features, security and number of licenses) and BBM is in the top 5 mobile messaging apps by number of users.
    07-29-14 12:13 PM
    The stock is going down because chen specifically mentioned "hiring". This increases cost, and lowers profit. Until sales increase, or very clear prospects of sales increasing, the stock will not go up.
    But it also means success and profit in the long term. I stand by my statement.
    07-29-14 12:16 PM
    This is big. I wonder if a similar protection as in the German phones can go consumer?
    07-29-14 12:20 PM
    BlackBerry as a device manufacturer is indeed almost non existent. However, BlackBerry is much more than that. BES and BBM alone are worth more than the current market cap. BES is the number one MDM solution on the market today (in terms of features, security and number of licenses) and BBM is in the top 5 mobile messaging apps by number of users.
    i am aware of all that... but i bet you that if Blackberry were to sell very well its next iteration of BB10 devices then the stock would gain some % in a few hours after the numbers come out.
    And the messaging, security focus and BES wouldn't have move an iota in that while (or would have grow further), to point out the stock is very influenced by the mobile market situation (if Blackberry were to ditch the smartphones as a manufacturer we should see the lowest value ever...even if they could probably survive and even grow just licensing BB10... but i hope they'll continue to make hardware as i really love my Q10 and can't wait for the Passport to be available).
    07-29-14 12:22 PM
53 123