I guess this makes it official.

September 26, 2013
    "During a Q&A session, we had the opportunity to speak with BlackBerry VP of Developer Relations Alec Saunders. In regards our questions regarding the longevity of legacy BlackBerry OS and developer support for the platform, we learned that the current to market BlackBerry 9720 smartphone is the last device to support legacy OS."

Maybe the rumors are true and blackberry really is exiting the hardware business.
    09-30-13 05:44 AM

September 26, 2013
    "During a Q&A session, we had the opportunity to speak with BlackBerry VP of Developer Relations Alec Saunders. In regards our questions regarding the longevity of legacy BlackBerry OS and developer support for the platform, we learned that the current to market BlackBerry 9720 smartphone is the last device to support legacy OS."

Maybe the rumors are true and blackberry really is exiting the hardware business.
    What's more surprising than that is the fact of the 9720 itself. Did anyone really think that BBRY would release a new legacy OS device after BB10 came out?
    09-30-13 05:46 AM
    What's more surprising than that is the fact of the 9720 itself. Did anyone really think that BBRY would release a new legacy OS device after BB10 came out?
    Quite frankly, that decision (manufacturing/releasing the Bold 9720) was very perplexing. If I were Blackberry, I would have tried to sell down the remaining stock of BB7 (and earlier) devices rather than manufacture a new BB7 device to meet demand for legacy Blackberry devices.

On a related note, I find it hard to believe that Blackberry wasn't able to achieve greater manufacturing efficiencies with previously released BB7 devices, especially the Bold 9900/9930, that would have allowed them to significantly reduce the prices on those devices while still making profits on them. Many of the "newest" BB7 devices besides the Bold 9720 are 1 1/2 to 2 years old.
    09-30-13 08:49 AM
    Did anyone really think that BBRY would release a new legacy OS device after BB10 came out?
    I'm surprised there's people who believed there would be more BBOS devices after the 9720?

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 08:50 AM
    I think the carriers have had a lot to do with this as they have told BBRY that they wont be pushing the OS7 devices and pay the service fees. They have probably given BBRY some sort of a deadline. I would imagine BBRY would have been churning OS7 devices forever if they could and receive 90% profit on the service fees. I believe this is why the situation is dire. It is not the consumer "demand" for the devices at issue only, but the carriers'.
    09-30-13 08:57 AM
    I'm surprised that, not only did they release a legacy device, but they didn't even bother to bump up the specs AT ALL. 800-something MHz processor and 512MB of memory? In 2013?

Plus the thing is a half-inch thick.
    10-01-13 02:45 AM

September 26, 2013

The end BB OS devices has been planned for about 2 years AFAIK. I was informed the BES5 and legacy devices would be supported until end of 2015.

The only reason for the 9720 IMHO is for markets not ready for BB10 (slow networks, cheap BIS plans).
    I have always hoped they could throw out some dirt cheap BB10 (Z5 / Q<5) to get the userbase up, but they did plan otherwise and failed big time..
    10-01-13 03:01 AM
    The end BB OS devices has been planned for about 2 years AFAIK. I was informed the BES5 and legacy devices would be supported until end of 2015.

The only reason for the 9720 IMHO is for markets not ready for BB10 (slow networks, cheap BIS plans).
    I have always hoped they could throw out some dirt cheap BB10 (Z5 / Q<5) to get the userbase up, but they did plan otherwise and failed big time..
    fixed it for you.
    Blackberry is exiting the hardware market, their prosumer stance will only remain valid while stocks of the z30 last.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-02-13 07:13 AM