7digital has struck a music deal thought to be worth 1m-plus with BlackBerry to launch a new music service, two months after its share price nose-dived following the troubled Canadian smartphone company shutting its music and video app store.

Digital music company 7digital saw its share price almost halve weeks after launching on the AIM stockmarket, when major customer BlackBerry announced it was closing the music and video app sections of BlackBerry World.

BlackBerry instead struck a licensing deal with Amazon, giving its users access to its apps.

7digital’s efforts to appease investors, with an announcement about talks with BlackBerry for an alternative music service, failed to calm investors.

However, on Thursday, the company unveiled a new deal to continue offering BlackBerry customers a music service up until August 2015.

In addition, 7digital will take over the sales of music from BlackBerry – which had previously been shared – which means it will retain all profits from the track sales.

“We are pleased to have agreed new terms with BlackBerry to provide its users with access to music,” said Simon Cole, chief executive of 7digital. “This arrangement ensures both the continuation of our relationship with BlackBerry and our ability to sell music to its users.”

7digital listed on the AIM market on 10 June following a 30m reverse takeover by multimedia content company UBC.

The company began trading at about 29p, climbing to as high as 33p. However, following the announcement on 1 July that BlackBerry was changing its service, 7digital’s share price dropped as low as 13.3p.

In June, 7digital struck a deal with mobile company ROK to provide a music streaming service.

SOURCE:theguardian.com
    nick13b likes this.
    08-14-14 05:28 AM
    Let's see what's gonna happen,
    maybe a last minute pre-loaded app on the Passport?

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    08-14-14 06:12 AM
    This is good news I hope as it means they should really think about updating the app big time so it doesnt bug up constantly!! But im guessing the company is gonna do nothing and continue to drop the stock price lower and lower. Poor 7digital...

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    08-14-14 07:51 AM
    I want music back in the BlackBerry World app store where it belongs!

Posted via CB10
    step07 and David Tyler like this.
    08-14-14 10:38 AM
    It would be nice to have a native music app... this android bs is really aggravating me. I'm not on BlackBerry to experience and-effing-droid

Swordsmanship & Western Martial Arts Channel C000C9AF6
    David Tyler likes this.
    08-14-14 10:42 AM
    That article lacks specifics. We knew a deal was coming, which is why the Android version even got ported over to begin with what's the rest of the deal? Or was that it? We'll port the Android app over and call it a deal. lol.
    08-14-14 10:47 AM
    I won't buy a single track from them until they release a native app. This deal is good for their stock price? Great, then put some effort in for the consumers.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-14 11:43 AM
    That article lacks specifics. We knew a deal was coming, which is why the Android version even got ported over to begin with what's the rest of the deal? Or was that it? We'll port the Android app over and call it a deal. lol.
    Think you can pull some strings and get BBM Music back for us? Pretty please!!!

Posted via CB10
    spike12 likes this.
    08-14-14 11:52 AM
    Think you can pull some strings and get BBM Music back for us? Pretty please!!!

Posted via CB10

If Bla1ze has some string pulling power.... there are a few other items that come before BBM Music.
    08-14-14 12:02 PM
    I am SO HAPPY they reached this deal. I probably spent more money on music in BlackBerry World than anything else.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    08-14-14 12:42 PM
    I won't buy a single track from them until they release a native app. This deal is good for their stock price? Great, then put some effort in for the consumers.

Posted via CB10
    It will be native, since this means the return of music to BlackBerry World.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    08-14-14 12:44 PM

If Bla1ze has some string pulling power.... there are a few other items that come before BBM Music.
    BBM music...I like the sound of that...
    08-14-14 12:54 PM