12-18-13 12:32 PM
44 12
tools
    This is one of those features best answered with a sarcastic "BFD." Basically meaning.... nobody cares.
    Because it doesn't matter to you. Got it.
    :>)
    GS51 and Vorkosigan like this.
    12-16-13 11:26 AM
    Well you know how it goes. If Android becomes the leader then it'll be the greatest thing ever.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 05:39 PM
    Well you know how it goes. If Android becomes the leader then it'll be the greatest thing ever.

Posted via CB10
    When Android was the leader no one cared as far as I remember. The only people who have cared about this test on a mobile browser seem to be users here.

Before BB10, I don't remember any discussions on iOS or Android forums about this.
    Saiga, mikeo007 and aniym like this.
    12-16-13 05:44 PM
    The issue with HTML5 compliance scores is that if there is an HTML5 feature, tag, or attribute that doesn't work on mobile safari or chrome, then developers just won't use it.

Your job, if you are designing or developing a mobile website, is not to use every HTML5 feature on the checklist. Your job is to make your site look and behave beautifully on mobile Safari and Chrome.

The BlackBerry browser team definitely deserve credit for leading the way in compliance, but it won't make a practical difference for users until sites actually use the features on the checklist that the other browsers don't render properly.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    12-16-13 05:50 PM
    It doesn't matter to web site developers either. They're more inclined to make their mobile sites compatible with Safari and Chrome.
    12-16-13 06:14 PM
    It doesn't matter to web site developers either. They're more inclined to make their mobile sites compatible with Safari and Chrome.
    Irregardless, having it way better than the competition (in this case safari and chrome) isn't so much of a bad thing either. They can keep pulling forward, and that means (in theory, speaking-wise) that what you can see in a Safari and Chrome would be rendered, exactly in a BlackBerry device or better. So even if the app developers are not going to use everything in the checklist, it does pay to stay ahead.

I would feel slightly troubled if BlackBerry devices are way too far behind on the HTML5 compliance scores, because that means whatever is rendered in Safari and Chrome may not be rendered on my BlackBerry device. But now that I know that BlackBerry has higher compatibility scores, I now know (perhaps in theory) that if there's no problems rendering it in Safari and Chrome, it shouldn't be a problem rendering the same thing in BlackBerry device, and I feel its fair for users to be slightly converned about it.
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-18-13 07:54 AM
    And remind me how BlackBerry's market share is? That's right. This doesn't mean a thing. It's just another way for fanboys to to say, mine is bigger than yours. How's JavaScript on BB10... ops, let's not bring that one up...
    12-18-13 07:58 AM
    And remind me how BlackBerry's market share is? That's right. This doesn't mean a thing. It's just another way for fanboys to to say, mine is bigger than yours. How's JavaScript on BB10... ops, let's not bring that one up...
    So with that logic, assuming the data from this site is valid:
    HTML5test - How well does your browser support HTML5?
    and data from here:
    How many Americans will be using an iPhone when the US smartphone market saturates? |

and if you allow a correlation to be drawn from the two data, basically every single developer can already say "F U" to Android for having higher scores, but lower marketshare on CHROME (mobile version) alone, assuming every single effin' 4.x and above have Chromes installed and actively used. This is US data alone. That is a flawed reasoning, because HTML 5 isn't just used in mobile, it is also used in other devices, desktops, gaming consoles, etc. Are you saying that just because Apple has the higher marketshare, and even if other devices have better HTML5 scores devs are going to say "F U" to others just because of the train of thought "but aww, Apple's HTML 5 is only at xxxyyyzz score!"

I would doubt that actually would work in a mass scale. Yeah, sure, A dev may not even bother to design anything for a BlackBerry device, but at the very least, that compliant score will give any BlackBerry device using that browser (should be BB10 browser, since it does label 10.2 there) a much needed "I'm ready for whatever you're gonna throw at me, even if i'm not supported" boost.

So what's the problem with or without marketshare again? I think BlackBerry users should be happy, and I don't see how this is a point that is not worth mooting for BlackBerry owners. So again, what's the problem with marketshare and BlackBerry 10.2 having really good HTML5 scores?
    neteng1000 likes this.
    12-18-13 08:52 AM
    It's an advantage for Blackberry, no doubt... but an advantage that's become less and less important.

Most people use apps to do what they need to do... surfing a webpage on a smartphone to get information isn't as efficient or productive.

Since getting my Nexus 5 I really haven't touched the browser much at all. I find that most information I'm interested is available in one app or another. More and more websites are offering apps because they're seeing less traffic on their websites.
    12-18-13 09:18 AM
    It's an advantage for Blackberry, no doubt... but an advantage that's become less and less important.

Most people use apps to do what they need to do... surfing a webpage on a smartphone to get information isn't as efficient or productive.

Since getting my Nexus 5 I really haven't touched the browser much at all. I find that most information I'm interested is available in one app or another. More and more websites are offering apps because they're seeing less traffic on their websites.
    And advantage, is still an advantage, based on the use case. Just like in a parallel argument people would say "iPhones have Candy Crush, and Angry Birds, na na na na na!".. Yes, they are useless to me, and I don't want those, but it is still an advantage, nevertheless (though I was reliably informed BlackBerry devices on .1055 can nearly circumvent this, though the legality of the entire thing is still debated), cutting down on the disadvantage.
    12-18-13 10:06 AM
    Blah, Blah, Blah
    It's the same stupid logic that was used when the Playbook came out with Flash. Or as BlackBerry invented the term "the whole/full internet" or whatever stupid term they came up with. That worked out well, in their favor. I've yet to see any BlackBerry ads touting Flash on the BB10 devices. Consumers don't care. Other wise BlackBerry wouldn't be in the mess they are in because they have the best HTML 5 score or have flash on their devices. Sure HTML 5 is great, and so is their score, but then I ask. So? It's not selling any devices for them at all. The facts are, it's great at HTML 5, and sucks on Java Script. I've yet to see any consumer walk into a BestBuy, and ask the sales person, "What device has the best HTML 5 score, that's the device I need." Benchmarks a for fanboys who like to get off on that sort of thing.

keep arguing all you want, if it helps you justify your mobile device....
    aniym likes this.
    12-18-13 10:35 AM
    The browser on an iOS device is a sad excuse and really rather lousy. The other day my friend posted a song his son did on Skydrive and sent out the public link for a bunch of us to download/have a listen. My PC, no problem. My Z30, no problem. Android, no problem. Guess which browser/OS couldn't do it?
    Pretty lame in 2014 if you ask me. If you need an app for that, it's a fail.
    12-18-13 10:54 AM
    It's the same stupid logic that was used when the Playbook came out with Flash. Or as BlackBerry invented the term "the whole/full internet" or whatever stupid term they came up with. That worked out well, in their favor. I've yet to see any BlackBerry ads touting Flash on the BB10 devices. Consumers don't care. Other wise BlackBerry wouldn't be in the mess they are in because they have the best HTML 5 score or have flash on their devices. Sure HTML 5 is great, and so is their score, but then I ask. So? It's not selling any devices for them at all. The facts are, it's great at HTML 5, and sucks on Java Script. I've yet to see any consumer walk into a BestBuy, and ask the sales person, "What device has the best HTML 5 score, that's the device I need." Benchmarks a for fanboys who like to get off on that sort of thing.

keep arguing all you want, if it helps you justify your mobile device....
    Thanks, but i'm enjoying Flash on my PlayBook quite well, and happily alright at that. And one more thing,

I do ask about HTML5 compliance when i walk into an IT shop (no Bestbuy here though), just because I'm curious to know.
    I'm not arguing, but I think I pointed that an advantage is still an advantage, whether its used or not. You can call it a stupid logic, but by reasoning with that, you're also in the same boat of saying that Apple users who bought iPhones in the first place are equally, erm.. well, whatever you want to call because they had a lower marketshare, apps wasn't even there yet, and anything that wasn't Nokia / Sony Ericsson / Samsung / Motorolla up to that point was, erm.. whatever you want to call it, and using your own words,

"or whatever stupid term they came up with".

Yeah, that advantage didn't count, right? Because you kept harping that devs don't care because it wasn't on the biggest marketshare. *points to your argument*

I have been very consistent in pointing an advantage / disadvantage is an advantage / disadvantage depending on use case. You got a problem with that philosophy?

wait a minute, did I say "blah blah blah" anywhere in recent posts?

add-on:
    oh, i forgot, I'll like to repeat the same argument with Android, because it totally screams the same situation too. Android popped out when idevices were dominating the scene, and so by that logic devs should just let Android "turn left, roll and jump off the 14th floor and die", because they did not have marketshare, therefore their advantage of being open source is moot.

Yeah, I can see that happening. Er, wait. what?
    12-18-13 10:59 AM
    Exactly... that's what it all boils down to - it's not making much of a difference, if any difference, at all.

And it's not like an iPhone or Android device can't view HTML5 pages. It may be slower - but will people care? I'm not even sure it makes all that much difference since websites ensure they work well with Safari and Chrome first and foremost - so that makes the HTML5 lead even less so.

Assuming the HTML5 scores actually make a noticeable difference in surfing, which would you rather have:

a) Slightly faster and more compatible surfing and very few apps and overall small ecosystem?
    b) slightly slower and less compatible surfing and a HUGE range of apps to choose from and overall HUGE ecosystem?

The answer for what the people want can be found in the sales numbers.
    12-18-13 11:00 AM
    Exactly... that's what it all boils down to - it's not making much of a difference, if any difference, at all.

And it's not like an iPhone or Android device can't view HTML5 pages. It may be slower - but will people care? I'm not even sure it makes all that much difference since websites ensure they work well with Safari and Chrome first and foremost - so that makes the HTML5 lead even less so.

Assuming the HTML5 scores actually make a noticeable difference in surfing, which would you rather have:

a) Slightly faster and more compatible surfing and very few apps and overall small ecosystem?
    b) slightly slower and less compatible surfing and a HUGE range of apps to choose from and overall HUGE ecosystem?

The answer for what the people want can be found in the sales numbers.
    Assuming if global numbers are true, that idevices are lagging behind every single accounted for Android devices, then I supposed that within that walled garden of Apple, taking into the account; would it not be a 'countable' advantage that Apple may be able to do something that an Android can't do?

But per the earlier post, the poster insist its irrelevant, because the marketshare is smaller.

Or pray tell, if I put in WP in the equation, or Jolla Sailfish (god forbid, somebody from Jolla Sailfish may want to skewer me), it doesn't matter because they don't have a meaningful marketshare. (hey, Jolla can do some really awesome stuff too)
    12-18-13 11:06 AM
    btw currently chrome on my nexus 5 is 484, and when chrome 31 is pushed it will be 503. BB better get going or they wont be leading anymore....not that I care at all really.

Chrome is also default on 4.4 an ASOP browser doesnt even come installed to my knowledge so im not sure why they have it listed like they do. I guess on other OEMs it might still
    anon1727506 likes this.
    12-18-13 11:07 AM
    btw currently chrome on my nexus 5 is 484, and when chrome 31 is pushed it will be 503. BB better get going or they wont be leading anymore....not that I care at all really.

Chrome is also default on 4.4 an ASOP browser doesnt even come installed to my knowledge so im not sure why they have it listed like they do. I guess on other OEMs it might still
    Well that means BBRY should have an incentive to try to top the charts, no? Seeing that if Google can push the envelope, what harm trying? If BBRY loses the edge, I would be worried if it gets too far behind. That would be bad. After all, Google being such a big company would send a lot of ripple even by upping the marks on the HTML5 (I think Chrome desktop has the highest score thus far).
    12-18-13 11:12 AM
    According to the html5test.com site, chrome 31 on mobile will still only score 484, it is the desktop version that gets 503.

To be honest, whether the BB10 browser is a few points ahead or behind is not a big deal, the important thing is for them to be competitive as otherwise it is just another stick for lazy reviewers to beat them with.
    howarmat likes this.
    12-18-13 12:19 PM
    good catch! i didnt change the tab it appears to mobile
    12-18-13 12:32 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD