12-18-13 01:32 PM
44 12
tools
    BlackBerry 10 sure to be the HTML5 king, currently ahead of all others in compatibility testing | MobileSyrup.com

BlackBerry 10 is set to be a monster OS, both in terms of its UI performance, developer toolkit breadth, and compatibility with all the latest standards. Many developers choose to build native applications in HTML5 and wrap them in native code to run faster, while others still keep them in the web browser for maximum cross-platform usability. BlackBerry 10, even in its infancy, is pulling HTML5 browser test numbers that are just astounding. It is beating previous up and coming winner Tizen by 39 points, and the current leader, Opera Mobile, by almost 100.

While this wont mean much in real-world usage most current mobile browsers can render the majority of HTML5 content without issue it certainly will appeal to developers who want to build and test HTML5 content on a mobile browser. Whether we will see a proliferation of HTML5 content on the new BlackBerry 10 platform is debatable native apps are still the way to go for most users. HTML5 will eventually allow for an app-like experience within the browser, with rich media, text and gaming based on newer hardware.

As BlackBerry 10 matures on its way to a public release, it will be snippets of tests like this that prove the OS has what it takes to return RIM to its former glory.
    06-05-12 11:35 AM
    I saw that too. Pretty cool!

Also tested my Bold & PB
    06-05-12 12:06 PM
    Thats great. Good to see RIM has taken the lead in this area. HTML5 will continue to be important over the next few years at least.

That being said, any devs understand why BB10 is so far ahead? As far as I understand they are using Webkit, just like Apple and Google? Are they using a newer branch of Webkit, or do they have an internal development branch?
    06-05-12 12:23 PM
    Goes perfectly with the first bb10 phones, can't wait
    06-05-12 03:32 PM
    While you won't see intensive games written in HTML 5, it's the perfect platform for apps delivering subscription content that originates on a website. This includes newspapers, magazines, and popular blogs. Take a look at the Crackberry app for BB phones as a good example. The app is slick, it delivers the content, and was fairly easy to implement.
    06-05-12 06:45 PM
    Great article. Maybe I am crazy optimist, but I think BB10 is going to be amazing. I actually love the developer alpha device, and I would buy one in a heartbeat.
    recompile likes this.
    06-05-12 06:55 PM
    Any HTML5 developers will focus their testing on the platforms with the most market share. For mobile this means iOS and Android. It doesn't matter how html5 compliant mobile Safari it, the developers will make sure their sites/apps work on iOS.
    06-05-12 07:01 PM
    That is what you call growth and determination! BB10 is coming and I wish it will kill everything on the market.
    Eumaeus likes this.
    06-06-12 03:28 AM
    HTML5 Test
    HTML5test - How well does your browser support HTML5?

BlackBerry 10.2: 491

Android 4.4: 424

iOS 7.0: 412

Windows Phone 8: 332
    12-09-13 11:07 PM
    I can believe Microsoft. They have almost infinite resources and always have the ****tiest browsers.

Posted via CB10
    Mack Gans and FinancialP like this.
    12-09-13 11:16 PM
    Here's to hoping BlackBerry can make it through all this turmoil to take advantage of this. Great article.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 11:20 PM
    I can believe Microsoft. They have almost infinite resources and always have the ****tiest browsers.

Posted via CB10

and they own their own search engine(bing)!!! how ironic
    12-09-13 11:58 PM
    They need to keep working on the browser (which I love btw)

I want to see them listed as the top browser on sunspider next. Their java implementation is a bit week

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 06:11 AM
    Excellent. It is definitely a step in the right direction. Slowly but surely.

Simply enjoying my Z30 - - - - Channel # C000E218D
    12-10-13 08:16 AM
    Anyone notice that this thread is really old?

Oh well, on topic - I wish they would make the browser more enjoyable to use. BB10's browser has a high HTML5 score and little else going for it. I'd trade that high HTML score for bookmarks that automatically sync between all of my devices (something Chrome on Android already does) any day of the week.
    12-10-13 08:45 AM
    Anyone notice that this thread is really old?

Oh well, on topic - I wish they would make the browser more enjoyable to use. BB10's browser has a high HTML5 score and little else going for it. I'd trade that high HTML score for bookmarks that automatically sync between all of my devices (something Chrome on Android already does) any day of the week.
    I noticed. I also noticed that in the 18 or so months since this article was posted, none of the other manufacturers started to care more about HTML5 scores than they did back then. It stands to reason that these scores mean very little in the grand scheme of things.
    Saiga and Knightcrawler like this.
    12-10-13 09:50 AM
    Pretty good news

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 10:03 AM
    Our company has been rebuilding their site in html5. I really like the way I can now access everything on my Z10.

Of course, I could access everything before just by flipping to desktop browser, but the html5 experience is very smooth and a lot easier to work with.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 01:52 PM
    This is great but my experience feels the same across all of my devices (Z10, 5S, Galaxy Nexus and iPad) while visiting HTML5 sites. They are all basically the same speed as well.
    12-10-13 02:02 PM
    I noticed. I also noticed that in the 18 or so months since this article was posted, none of the other manufacturers started to care more about HTML5 scores than they did back then. It stands to reason that these scores mean very little in the grand scheme of things.
    That's because the other guys weren't on top. If they were we would never hear the end of it. I don't think these scores really matter much either though I'm just saying.

Has this thread been revived? lol. Back from the dead!
    12-10-13 02:13 PM
    If anyone wants to see some updated 2013 comparisons...

HTML5test - How well does your browser support HTML5?
    12-10-13 02:16 PM
    Webos was html5. Unfortunately html5 has really been a major factor

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 10:46 PM
    Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 03:08 AM
    HTML5 Test
    BlackBerryOS.com - The Results Are In: HTML5Test Confirms BlackBerry 10 Is Still The Best Mobile Browser

BlackBerry 10 sure to be the HTML5 king, currently ahead of all others-screen-shot-2013-12-12-31056-am-5ce.png

BlackBerry 10 still ranks #1 in the list of mobile device browsers, with 491 points out of 555. It is still 67 points ahead of Android 4.4 and 79 points ahead of iOS7. Windows Phone 8 which is positioning its self as the third ecosystem in the consumer market lags behind BlackBerry 10's browser by 159 points. Of course that is not the entire story, apps play a huge part in making a platform thrive, and in this case better compatibility means higher quality apps, even if they are created as "web apps."

BlackBerry recently released an updated software development kit to WebWorks 2.0 which is now powered by Apache Cordova, making it even easier for developers to build and debug their apps on the fly.
    12-12-13 11:37 PM
    This is one of those features best answered with a sarcastic "BFD." Basically meaning.... nobody cares.
    12-13-13 01:00 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD