10-18-13 04:32 AM
79 1234
tools
    The App catalog is just another version of thin Clients. In some cases is just a simplified method to connect to a web server (clearly not with stand alone apps like games) to get content or interact with your data. As long as it thin and the network and back end holds up, the end point hardware shouldn't matter. It's all moving that way.
    10-16-13 04:08 PM
    I couldn't tell ya, but the technology that Blackberry is using to accomplish is available on android devices. from what i know, the USB hosting and Miracast have been around for a bit.

Like the OP stated, it would be great to have a docking station which eliminated the need to have so many things plugged into the device. If you see at the end of the video, the guy had to unplug three 3 different items.
    The problem I've seen is android is riddled with malware and OS inconsistencies. BlackBerry is more secure via BES as well as the OS IP in general...
    10-16-13 05:42 PM
    I like it. It is the wave of the future. To be more mobile
    10-16-13 06:19 PM
    The problem I've seen is android is riddled with malware and OS inconsistencies. BlackBerry is more secure via BES as well as the OS IP in general...
    CrackBerry seems to be riddled with this ignorant FUD
    10-16-13 06:52 PM

This isn't exactly a new concept. It's never taken off, for good reason.

I like it. It is the wave of the future. To be more mobile
    Yes. Which is why Tablet computers running iOS, Android and Windows 8 are proving to be very popular. Not docking mobile phones.

I expect small, dockable Windows 8.1 tablets to lead the way in this...not Android or BB10 phones.
    Poirots Progeny and Etios like this.
    10-16-13 06:58 PM
    And, specs matter... if you want to go that direction
    10-16-13 11:43 PM
    Aqu vemos como funciona y como podria ser lo mas cercano a un uso en la oficina. Saludos!
    interesante video, pero con la musica de fondo la cagaron,
    10-16-13 11:50 PM
    This is the inevitable future that will kill apple and bring Microsoft to the forefront. And I don't see bbry being the winner.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 12:19 AM
    I was going to ask how well the atrix did. Seems most weren't interested.
    Yeah. I returned mine.
    10-17-13 12:32 AM
    danprown and richardat like this.
    10-17-13 03:42 AM
    Real mobile computing should have a real desktop interface when docked! What we see now is just a blown up mobile interface. It is not designed for desktop.
    10-17-13 03:59 AM
    Well it seems to me that people are talking about different interpretations of mobile computing alright.

A likes a thin client with a good data connection, where all the heavy loading is done back-end. I know Dell and HP in Malaysia does this, with their servers linked to the ones in Singapore.

B prefers everything crammed to a single device. Then again, from what I understood from a friend who works with Intel, the big picture seems to be looking at the "put a power of a PC into the size of a handheld device" as the holy grail of IT technology.

C would want ultraportables, of every kind and bring it along.

Me? I'll be happy if i can find a tablet windows that actually has discreet graphics to boot, therefore replacing my laptop and desktop for most use basis (i'm heavy on documentation side, but I'll prefer some real GPU horsepower in that portability as well)
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    10-17-13 04:22 AM
    Well it seems to me that people are talking about different interpretations of mobile computing alright.

A likes a thin client with a good data connection, where all the heavy loading is done back-end. I know Dell and HP in Malaysia does this, with their servers linked to the ones in Singapore.

B prefers everything crammed to a single device. Then again, from what I understood from a friend who works with Intel, the big picture seems to be looking at the "put a power of a PC into the size of a handheld device" as the holy grail of IT technology.

C would want ultraportables, of every kind and bring it along.

Me? I'll be happy if i can find a tablet windows that actually has discreet graphics to boot, therefore replacing my laptop and desktop for most use basis (i'm heavy on documentation side, but I'll prefer some real GPU horsepower in that portability as well)
    Agreed - we're looking at trialing the surface pro 2 - a possibly small step in the right direction..!?

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    10-17-13 07:22 AM
    Agreed - we're looking at trialing the surface pro 2 - a possibly small step in the right direction..!?

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    I suppose the Dell Venue Pro 11 may be a better choice, then again the Surface Pro 2 has a sexy chassis.
    10-17-13 08:03 AM
    Indeed ,good alternative to desktop but replacing it will be impractical as still very complex computing can be done only by desktop
    10-17-13 08:18 AM
    No mobile platform will ever replace a windows, Linux, or apple based computer. They can dream about that all they want.
    With cloud services some businesses are already moving away from the traditional desktop and notebook computers. Tablets and smartphones have been proving themselves viable in these situations.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    10-17-13 09:31 AM
    With cloud services some businesses are already moving away from the traditional desktop and notebook computers. Tablets and smartphones have been proving themselves viable in these situations.

Different users have different wants. I, will never go for that kind of solution such as a chromebook being the interface, or when there is no connection or poor connection, it becomes a really expensive paperweight.

Sent from my A500 using CB Forums mobile app
    kbz1960, Etios and Poirots Progeny like this.
    10-17-13 09:42 AM
    This is the inevitable future that will kill apple and bring Microsoft to the forefront. And I don't see bbry being the winner.

Posted via CB10
    In what way is Microsoft especially well situated to capitalize on this "inevitable" future, while Apple is incapable? Both have mobile OSs running the same kernel as their desktop versions.

In fact, between in-house SoC design, decades of experience integrating hardware, and a massive and enthusiastic base of mobile users, I would think that Apple has the advantage here.
    10-17-13 10:01 AM
    I would like to give this a try... need to get a mini HDMI adapter and then get something to hook it up to. The Android Citrix Receiver sideload works nice on my Z10.

Does the Z10 work with USB hubs to connect usb kb/mouse?
    10-17-13 12:18 PM
    I would like to give this a try... need to get a mini HDMI adapter and then get something to hook it up to. The Android Citrix Receiver sideload works nice on my Z10.

Does the Z10 work with USB hubs to connect usb kb/mouse?
    No but you could use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10
    10-17-13 01:02 PM
    Since you write documentation and want to use a tablet maybe you should consider the BlackBerry PlayBook and a cloud services called writeLaTeX.com. But I hear you in regards to needing a feature-rich graphics application as well.

10-17-13 02:08 PM
    Sent from my A500 using CB Forums mobile app
    Would the A500 be a Commodore Amiga 500 or something of the smartphone variety? : smile:

10-17-13 02:11 PM
    Personally I dislike laptops with cramped displays and poor keyboards, short battery times, weight etc etc. Thats why i like idea of using mobile phone as productivity tool (with tv/monitor, mouse and keyboard). Something like chrome books, for consuming and some editing. But this will never happen until they make desktop enviroment as comfortable as mobile.
    mithrazor likes this.
    10-17-13 03:07 PM
    Friend has a Windows 8 computer, Windows 8 Surface Tablet and a Nokia Window 8 Phone

He can install an app on one, and it installs on all (Windows Store Apps only). Change setting for email on one and they change all. Save a file via the built in SKYDRIVE and it open in recent documents on all. He can open a MS Office file on his desktop, and edit it on the others. If he loses one... and he still has the others.
    10-17-13 03:57 PM
    Personally I dislike laptops with cramped displays and poor keyboards, short battery times, weight etc etc. Thats why i like idea of using mobile phone as productivity tool (with tv/monitor, mouse and keyboard). Something like chrome books, for consuming and some editing..
    So, I'm not sure what you're saying. You'd like to carry around a tv/monitor, mouse, and keyboard, along with your phone?
    Blacklatino likes this.
    10-17-13 04:39 PM
79 1234