Honestly i don't see anything new.....
    I'm still using gmail in imap with this version of BIS, so....?
    New thing is that when you write ******@gmail.com it will be automatically configured as IMAP?
    02-19-09 11:42 AM
    maybe the new implementation would make gmail imap instant push. before when we did the work around method in order to get gmail imap, it wasnt really pushed, there was a delay when receiving messages over time. sometimes as long as 15 minutes. it happened to me and i know it happened to quite a few folks as it been discussed numerous times. hopefully this will fix that and make it real push.
    02-20-09 07:26 AM
    It will also not show a sent Gmail when sending one, it drives me nuts. Is BIS 2.6 live allready?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-09 07:11 AM
    i dont think itll be out until like april-ish. the sooner the better but it looks like april, maybe late march if lucky.
    02-22-09 08:55 AM
    2.6 works well. Theres a few things different than the current version as you all know, but the changes really do make it better. As you see theres no mind-blowing differences, but it's better. Heck just the fact gmail syncs properly now makes my day. Regardless, I like 2.6 better than 2.5 and it shows the powers that be are trying to make things better for the end user.
    02-22-09 09:57 AM
    I guess its just me but I've been getting gmail push perfectly with imap. No problems with reconciliation either. I just followed gmails instructions and set it up manually like they said.

02-23-09 10:26 AM
    I am confused by the BIS 2.5 vs. 2.6. Please explain to me what software you are referring to by BIS 2.5 or 2.6 and where I can see what I am using....and how to upgrade. I am using Blackberry internet service and Gmail IMAP. for some reason I am not getting emails today on the phone (unrelated but annoying). Changes from my Outlook or Gmail take a LONG time to reconcile to the phone (HOURS). Things changed on the phone reconcile to Outlook and Gmail in seconds. Thanks for the BIS explanation in advance.
    02-25-09 06:29 PM
    2.6 works well. Theres a few things different than the current version as you all know, but the changes really do make it better. As you see theres no mind-blowing differences, but it's better. Heck just the fact gmail syncs properly now makes my day. Regardless, I like 2.6 better than 2.5 and it shows the powers that be are trying to make things better for the end user.
    What do you mean by syncs properly? I've always had a problem with the message read status with gmail and thought that was a well-known issue until I saw a bunch of posts saying they have no problem. I thought I even saw previous threads saying this is a known issue but doing a search I didn't really find anything. Are you referring to the message read status not syncing correctly?

Edit: So I found this link to the BB website that does seem to say gmail read/unread status doesn't work. It's still confusing because a bunch of people here still claim theirs works just fine.
    Last edited by phonefiend; 02-25-09 at 09:14 PM.
    02-25-09 08:59 PM
    My experience has been as follows:

- Email that I've read on my BB shows as read in GMail
    - Email that I delete on my BB shows up in the Trash in GMail
    - Email that I send from my BB shows up in the Sent folder in GMail
    - Email that I've read in GMail does not show as read on my BB
    - Email that I delete in GMail gets removed from my BB after a 10-15 minute delay (on average)

02-26-09 08:09 AM
    So for me, one-way sync from my BB to Gmail works OK. I'm waiting for improved GMail-to-BB sync, but apparently that's not going to be in BIS 2.6.

Also forgot to mention that for the most part I receive my @gmail emails on my BB within seconds of my desktop (sometimes just before, sometimes just after).

02-26-09 08:13 AM
    My experience has been as follows:

- Email that I've read on my BB shows as read in GMail
    - Email that I delete on my BB shows up in the Trash in GMail
    - Email that I send from my BB shows up in the Sent folder in GMail
    - Email that I've read in GMail does not show as read on my BB
    - Email that I delete in GMail gets removed from my BB after a 10-15 minute delay (on average)

Agree, so what is the concern?
    02-26-09 08:21 AM
    So for me, one-way sync from my BB to Gmail works OK. I'm waiting for improved GMail-to-BB sync, but apparently that's not going to be in BIS 2.6.

Also forgot to mention that for the most part I receive my @gmail emails on my BB within seconds of my desktop (sometimes just before, sometimes just after).

I guess I am missing something. Why would you want to sync you gmail if you have BIS? I assume your gmail is on your bb account settings,
    02-26-09 08:24 AM
    The point is that if you read e-mail on gmail via the web then it still shows up as unread which is quite a pain. I wonder why this is so hard to support if yahoo can handle it just fine.
    02-26-09 11:05 AM
    i wish theyd just let full gmail sync- folders the works. They wanna keep BIS locked down, fine, but allow personal email to have full support.

Were in a day and age where people use personal email too not just a work account. And people need access to folders and such to organize themselves.

Keep BIS locked down since its cheaper than BES which offers folders and such through their servers, but let imap be fully supported. I just dont get their reasoning when there's an app that will do it anyways, so why not offer a better solution and please your customers.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 02-26-09 at 12:40 PM.
    02-26-09 12:29 PM
    Agree, so what is the concern?
    No real issue — just a general post in response regarding BIS 2.6's "improved" google GMail support. They're saying BB-to-GMail sync and IMAP support are "new" in 2.6 but we've all had it for a while now.

I do want better GMail-to-BB sync so that emails read in GMail show up as read on my BB. And faster syncing/updating when emails are deleted from GMail.

Apparently there will be an improved GMail app for BB (made by RIM?) coming in the BIS 2.7 timeframe...

Coming from RIM's BIS Roadmap, the good news for Gmail users is that a major update is scoped under BIS 2.7 (target launch in July 2009) that will bring a Desktop like Gmail user experience to the BlackBerry. It will be a Gmail client, with a Gmail icon and the proposed functionality includes Starring, Labelling, Contacts sync, Calendar sync and search.
    Last edited by Mode; 02-26-09 at 04:35 PM.
    02-26-09 04:30 PM
    I do want better GMail-to-BB sync so that emails read in GMail show up as read on my BB. And faster syncing/updating when emails are deleted from GMail.
    It's not RIM fault, Gmail server doesn't send "read" flag to client, so it won't happen....
    02-26-09 04:57 PM
    No real issue just a general post in response regarding BIS 2.6's "improved" google GMail support. They're saying BB-to-GMail sync and IMAP support are "new" in 2.6 but we've all had it for a while now.

Apparently there will be an improved GMail app for BB (made by RIM?) coming in the BIS 2.7 timeframe...
    don't know if it would do any good but maybe a suggestion to Google about the read flag. Also Would BIS know how to interpret it?
    02-26-09 05:40 PM
    Ok, so as I understand it, if we use the BIS email provided by sprint ( sprint.blackberry.com) email, we dont get to use folders.

Also, if we setup a hotmail or gmail account on the bb email setup, we still dont get full access to folders?

So far my only solution is to continue to use the Gmail app where I have access to folders and labels. Yes, gmail now supports folders. You can label mail on he bb gmail app but on the desktop, you can place them and label them to a folder.

Any other suggestions to get around the lack of folders?
    Has anyone tried saving emails to a folder on teh memory card? I am unable to do so.
    02-26-09 09:25 PM
    I feel that this update to the BIS for IMAP is COMPLETELY useless!!!. They have basiclly just created a behind the scenes filter for sent mail.
    03-30-09 09:08 PM
    It's not RIM fault, Gmail server doesn't send "read" flag to client, so it won't happen....

That is not true!!!
    If you log into gmail web and check message and then wait for imap client on PC. New email will turn from unread to read.

But BB does not check for the read unread. The BIS update is useless. They have just created a filter automatically for gmail imap users.
    03-30-09 09:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD