Billionaire Dave E. Shaw Doubled His BlackBerry Stock-dave-shaw.jpg
    Most people may have never heard of Dave E. Shaw. However, followers of Wall Street almost certainly are familiar. Shaw is the founder and Chief Scientist of D.E. Shaw & Co., L.P.

More importantly are the returns hes garnered for investors. Since the inception of his company in 1988, Shaw has consistently posted double-digit returns. Shaws company is now one of the largest hedge funds in the world with roughly $32 billion in managed assets.

According to SEC filings in August, Shaw is investing further into BlackBerry. Shaw has begun investing heavily in companies around the Internet of Things, commonly referred to as IoT: the connection of everyday objects from cars and refrigerators to the Internet.

BlackBerry announced they were positioning QNX in the IoT market with Project Ion. Weve previously discussed how BlackBerry is a leap ahead of the competition in the field. Given this knowledge, Shaw is betting big and has nearly doubled the size of his stake in BlackBerry.

As of June, the billionaire investor owns 4.5 million shares of the company valued at around US$45.8 million. Indeed it seems Shaw has faith in BlackBerrys new CEO John Chen, who recently emphasized, while there are 5 billion handsets in the world that we want to connect to, there may be 500 billion devices out there that present a tremendous opportunity for an organization with the experience and track record of QNX.

Source:N4BB
    09-03-14 11:29 AM
    That's a good sign, indeed !

P.s: to be perfecly clear, the source is Motley fools : http://www.fool.ca/2014/09/03/billio...d-you-buy-too/
    09-03-14 12:00 PM
    Thanks for posting

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 12:37 PM
    Just another hedge fund guy dealing with numbers. Wait for a blip in the stock make millions and then dump it. These,are not long term investors they are big buck gamblers. He may be right in his assumption but they have the money to stay in for the short term and then dump when they make the one or two dollar gain on the price. Its why the markets are more like Vegas and less like they should be. We shouldn't be praising this we should be wondering why we all can't make money instead of the lucky 1 Percenter's . what's the average guy going to make a few hundred bucks vs a few hundred million?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    09-03-14 07:23 PM
    Interesting, right after the icloud hack

Sent from my white Q10 using Tapatalk
    09-03-14 07:27 PM
    I guess if you were a shorter you wouldn't be happy about this new. I'm long and I enjoyed reading this.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 08:30 PM
    Agree with trwallace. I wish it was a sign of faith and positive things to come.
    More likely just buying shares at some nice comfy negotiated price like buffet does.

Us common folk catch wind of it, people start following, stock price goes up and Mr billionaire investor quietly dumps his holdings.

If only it meant good things and super innovation were in the pipeline...imo it's not about that at all.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 08:32 PM
    And you know that how?

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 09:56 PM
    Agree with trwallace. I wish it was a sign of faith and positive things to come.
    More likely just buying shares at some nice comfy negotiated price like buffet does.

Us common folk catch wind of it, people start following, stock price goes up and Mr billionaire investor quietly dumps his holdings.

If only it meant good things and super innovation were in the pipeline...imo it's not about that at all.

Posted via CB10
    I think you have little understand of how a hedge fund works. It is a high risk capital pool in which managers expect to invest and make significant gains over a short time period. Investors demand results due to their uber high management fees and their typically 20% cut of all profits.

Given the high risk nature of these investments, the average hedge fund only lasts 2.5 years. So for Mr. Shaw to stay in business as long as he has, he must be doing something well.

When Mr. Shaw invests in a company like BlackBerry, he expects to make in short order, greater than a 100 percent return. Perhaps it's a bluff but I doubt it. One need only look at the tea leaves to realize that a stock pop is very likely based on simple metrics. Make no mistake, he believes there is a big upside to BlackBerry. If you don't believe him, then ask the shorts who have been leaving this stock in droves. It's not rocket science.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 10:34 PM
    I think you have little understand of how a hedge fund works. It is a high risk capital pool in which managers expect to invest and make significant gains over a short time period. Investors demand results due to their uber high management fees and their typically 20% cut of all profits.

Given the high risk nature of these investments, the average hedge fund only lasts 2.5 years. So for Mr. Shaw to stay in business as long as he has, he must be doing something well.

When Mr. Shaw invests in a company like BlackBerry, he expects to make in short order, greater than a 100 percent return. Perhaps it's a bluff but I doubt it. One need only look at the tea leaves to realize that a stock pop is very likely based on simple metrics. Make no mistake, he believes there is a big upside to BlackBerry. If you don't believe him, then ask the shorts who have been leaving this stock in droves. It's not rocket science.

Posted via CB10
    And I think you have a tough grasp of reading.

I understand quite clearly how hedge funds work. I don't believe d.e. Shaw has the best intentions of BlackBerry in mind. As you stated his job is to make money. Period. That's why I don't think this is necessarily good news for the company or its shareholders.

You've stated that if he invests in a company he expects to make 100% in short order, so he expects to double his money on his number 1 holding?

So using this theory: his number one holding is 11.89 million shares of apple. Guess he's hoping both companies provide him with 100% ror.

Hopefully I'm proven wrong, obviously I'm a huge BlackBerry fan. Only time will tell but I don't think he'll be around for long.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 07:19 AM
    And I think you have a tough grasp of reading.

I understand quite clearly how hedge funds work. I don't believe d.e. Shaw has the best intentions of BlackBerry in mind. As you stated his job is to make money. Period. That's why I don't think this is necessarily good news for the company or its shareholders.

You've stated that if he invests in a company he expects to make 100% in short order, so he expects to double his money on his number 1 holding?

So using this theory: his number one holding is 11.89 million shares of apple. Guess he's hoping both companies provide him with 100% ror.

Hopefully I'm proven wrong, obviously I'm a huge BlackBerry fan. Only time will tell but I don't think he'll be around for long.

Posted via CB10
    Mr Shaw's intention is irrelevant. His job is to make money quickly, that is it. He sees an opportunity with BlackBerry and he put his money where his mouth is. He is simply making a bet and given his long term success as a hedge fund manager, people pay attention.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 09:42 AM
    $46 million is a positive for the company, any person wouldn't be putting 46 million on something they thought was going bad... but let's be clear, the only thing I have 46 million of is dead skin cells...

Z30 144GB
    09-05-14 03:45 AM
    Great news indeed but people who are thinking at doing the same thing need to keep things in check:

These guys are professionals hence why they are dealing with stuff like hedge funds on a daily basis. They'll double and reduce their investments based on the analysis, informations and stuff they are gathering from inside sources.

Personally speaking I think BBs stock will increase and then shortly before the launch of the BB might be the best time to sell, just to rebuy later. But that's just bsic assuumption.

That's one of the benefits of being that rich you can play around with tons of milliones and if you where right you are even richer than before :-)
    ozdezignr likes this.
    09-05-14 04:25 AM
    Great news indeed but people who are thinking at doing the same thing need to keep things in check:

These guys are professionals hence why they are dealing with stuff like hedge funds on a daily basis. They'll double and reduce their investments based on the analysis, informations and stuff they are gathering from inside sources.

Personally speaking I think BBs stock will increase and then shortly before the launch of the BB might be the best time to sell, just to rebuy later. But that's just bsic assuumption.

That's one of the benefits of being that rich you can play around with tons of milliones and if you where right you are even richer than before :-)
    "Inside sources"..... insider trading is bad... OK.

Z30 144GB
    09-05-14 04:53 AM
    Just following Prem... ;-)

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    09-05-14 07:12 AM
    Just following Prem... ;-)

Hey Prem, put $50 on for me will ya?

? Posted with the brilliance of my Z30 ?
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    09-06-14 04:39 AM
    Hey Prem, put $50 on for me will ya?

? Posted with the brilliance of my Z30 ?
    LOL :-)

09-10-14 06:36 AM