Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
08-29-13 01:22 PM
59 123
tools
    BlackBerry Breakup Analysis: Smartphone business called ‘worthless’ | BGR

BlackBerry said to be destined for breakup, phone business called ‘essentially worthless’
    By Zach Epstein on Aug 21, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    Business
    Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google PlusShare on LinkedInBusiness August 21, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    12:25 PM

With BlackBerry getting desperate, a new report claims that a breakup may be inevitable at this point. BlackBerry is beyond difficult to value right now but according to some industry watchers, any remaining value plummeted when BlackBerry announced it is exploring a possible sale. ”You’re effectively killing that business by saying ‘I’m up for sale,’ ” Red Sky Capital Management’s Brian Huen told Bloomberg on Wednesday. “Nobody is interested in buying the entire entity. I think they are now in the phase of saying, ‘We will do anything to maximize value, including breaking up the company.’ “
    Analysts at Raymond James and BMO agree that a breakup is likely coming, and they don’t expect BlackBerry’s struggling smartphone business to make it out alive.

“The phone unit, BlackBerry’s biggest source of revenue, is essentially worthless because most buyers would shut it down in favor of their own technology, at a cost of as much as $800 million, said analysts at Raymond James Ltd. and BMO Capital Markets,” Bloomberg’s Hugo Miller wrote. “Its patents, software and a secure network are each worth more than $1 billion, the analysts said, and the company has about $2.8 billion in cash.”

Earlier reports suggested that there is still much more value left in BlackBerry and the huge discrepancies among analysts can likely be attributed to the fact that BlackBerry is currently next to impossible to value.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 08-21-13 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Added quote code.
    08-21-13 10:49 PM
    First problem, is where the article comes from
    08-21-13 11:13 PM
    It's just re-written from here anyway - BlackBerry. Might as well go to the source.
    08-21-13 11:14 PM
    It's just quoted from Bloomberg, Kris. Shoot the messenger?
    08-21-13 11:15 PM
    I'll believe it when I see it!
    08-21-13 11:17 PM
    BGR has never been a fan of BlackBerry so it is no surprise that most (if not all) of their recent "articles" are doom and gloom regarding BlackBerry. It is all speculation at this point. The "analysts" try to sound "knowledgeable" but scientific research has shown their success to failure rate in getting a prediction correct is no better than statistical chance. Just read Robert Levine's book "The Power of Persuasion: How We Are Bought and Sold" for a more concise take on this. Only time will tell what happens. Asking "experts" as BGR appears to be doing has the same weighted value as getting the "word on the street."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CB Forums mobile app
    maddie1128 likes this.
    08-21-13 11:25 PM
    BGR has never been a fan of BlackBerry so it is no surprise that most (if not all) of their recent "articles" are doom and gloom regarding BlackBerry. It is all speculation at this point. The "analysts" try to sound "knowledgeable" but scientific research has shown their success to failure rate in getting a prediction correct is no better than statistical chance. Just read Robert Levine's book "The Power of Persuasion: How We Are Bought and Sold" for a more concise take on this. Only time will tell what happens. Asking "experts" as BGR appears to be doing has the same weighted value as getting the "word on the street."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CB Forums mobile app
    Except I would say if BGR said something about BB being around for 100 more years and becoming the #1 smartphone maker in the world it would magically become a reliable source.

As far as the article goes, I think right now pretty much anything is possible.
    08-21-13 11:42 PM
    LOL......sigh....I'll make an exception from silent observation because it's you KevinN.... I will say this once - I don't post here anymore because of what I see as a very disturbing turn in admin here, and because, I am not, and never have been, interested in fighting - and frankly, as I am now saying, there is nothing more to fight....or really say.... about it because.....

YES. BB is done. Come to terms with it.

Before launch, I said IF they get out a relatively bug-free (they almost did), on time (nope), with solid app support (not even remotely) OS, then they'd have a ~20% (again....if such things can be quantified as a percentage) chance of surviving, and becoming a strong player in the market.

I tried to warn people of this....not to cause arguments....I even private messaged a couple of people to strongly warn them of this....fearing they might make career damaging recommendations.....

Launch occurred.....the OS was completely lackluster (though CB'ers quickly glossed over the fact that month before they were crowing that HUGE revolutionary surprises were coming, and that swiping and the hub were merely pedestrian little features that BB felt safe in showing). The launch was of course....disaster from day 1. BB knew BB10 had no chance, and that's why they chose the silly staggered launch anyways....drag it out as long as possible....hope beyond hope that a miracle uptake would occur, or that they could find a buyer/partner.

In that sense, Heins isn't as dumb as he may look if one judges his actions of a person trying to majestically lead BB10 to success. He wasn't. He was trying to play a shell-game while looking for a back-door to run out of. On the other hand, just about everything he said was a lie - that's the truth. Boulben, incompetent yes.....he didn't sell ONE single phone. Not one person on planet earth saw a BB10 ad, and said "hey, WOW! I wasn't thinking of BB, but NOW....." Still, it hardly matters....he was only one small compounding factor.

Right after launch, I basically said....in gentle, slightly couched terms: likely, probably, really, essentially, virtually......that it was over.

The results came in.....some CB'ers realized....but other denied.

Now, BB has formally, and publicly admitted it's over....and STILL some deny...though many more are coming to terms with it. I am glad to see many have recognized this for what it is though....and what it means to BB10, and any future it has.

They have not been able to find a buyer/partner in all this time...now reduced to publicly advertising like a street-walker. If/when it is sold, it will be gutted and carved up. Don't look to Watsa - even if interested, he'll carve it to pieces to get as much of his money out as he can. Don't look to an angel buyer who will pour riches and efforts into reviving BB10....nobody wants to produce BB10 phones...they KNOW it was not going to work...I KNEW it was not going to work...now we actually have a big failed attempt to illustrate!

The phones will be chopped. (although I did read somebody on here float the idea of BB7 going on....POSSIBLE! Nice call.....a Chinese manufacturer may wish to pick up the name for cheap, and milk the legacy market until it runs dry). BB has absolutely nothing else working....and no other plans. It is way to late to capitalize on software or services....a company picking them up, would essentially be starting at square one. The right buyer might be interested in doing that......there certainly is no buyer who will want to produce BB10 phones. The BB name is less worth than 0....it is now synonymous with left-behind-ineptness.

Developers know it. There will be no more development for BB10. There is no more chance. BB10 will not ever take-off.

If anyone chooses to buy a BB10 phone now, realize you're buying orphaned technology. If you want it, by all means do it. Your choice.

Believe me, agree with me, ignore me, attack me.....it really doesn't matter.

I feel bad for BB employees....but most of all, I feel bad for duped consumers who might have believed what Heins was telling them. When I first came here, I didn't really care what happened to BB - that's my secret power over you people.....I don't care and I see things for what they are - but if anything I was rooting for BB. Competition is good...very good for all consumers, and why not have a continued Canadian tech success? Now, honestly, I think they deserve to die. All the lying.....all the snake-oil lying to customers....man you die-hards are forgiving.

Oh well.....hi KevinN!! LOL

EDIT: credit to CrackedBarry, who floated the idea of bb07 going on....not sure if the numbers would work for a reduced BB, or a buyer.....plus they'd have to deal with the complication/expense of keeping BIS services going......but it's an interesting notion.
    Last edited by richardat; 08-23-13 at 06:52 PM.
    08-22-13 12:01 AM
    LOL......sigh....I'll make an exception from silent observation because it's you KevinN.... I will say this once - I don't post here anymore because of what I see as a very disturbing turn in admin here, and because, I am not, and never have been, interested in fighting - and frankly, as I am now saying, there is nothing more to fight....or really say.... about it because.....

Before launch, I said IF they get out a relatively bug-free (they almost did), on time (nope), with solid app support (not even remotely) OS, then they'd have a ~20% (again....if such things can be quantified as a percentage) chance of surviving, and becoming a strong player in the market.

I tried to warn people of this....not to cause arguments....I even private messaged a couple of people to strongly warn them of this....fearing they might make career damaging recommendations.....

Launch occurred.....the OS was completely lackluster (though CB'ers quickly glossed over the fact that month before they were crowing that HUGE revolutionary surprises were coming, and that swiping and the hub were merely pedestrian little features that BB felt safe in showing). The launch was of course....disaster from day 1. BB knew BB10 had no chance, and that's why they chose the silly staggered launch anyways....drag it out as long as possible....hope beyond hope that a miracle uptake would occur, or that they could find a buyer/partner.

In that sense, Heins isn't as dumb as he may look if one judges his actions of a person trying to majestically lead BB10 to success. He wasn't. He was trying to play a shell-game while looking for a back-door to run out of. On the other hand, just about everything he said was a lie - that's the truth. Boulben, incompetent yes.....he didn't sell ONE single phone. Not one person on planet earth saw a BB10 ad, and said "hey, WOW! I wasn't thinking of BB, but NOW....." Still, it hardly matters....he was only one small compounding factor.

Right after launch, I basically said....in gentle, slightly couched terms: likely, probably, really, essentially, virtually......that it was over.

Now, BB has formally, and publicly admitted it's over....and STILL some deny...though many more are coming to terms with it. I am glad to see many have recognized this for what it is though....and what it means to BB10, and any future it has.

They have not been able to find a buyer/partner in all this time...now reduced to publicly advertising like a street-walker. If/when it is sold, it will be gutted and carved up. Don't look to Watsa - even if interested, he'll carve it to pieces to get as much of his money out as he can. Don't look to an angel buyer who will pour riches and efforts into reviving BB10....nobody wants to produce BB10 phones...they KNOW it was not going to work...I KNEW it was not going to work...now we actually have a big failed attempt to illustrate!

The phones will be chopped. (although I did read somebody on here float the idea of BB7 going on....POSSIBLE! Nice call.....a Chinese manufacturer may wish to pick up the name for cheap, and milk the legacy market until it runs dry). BB has absolutely nothing else working....and no other plans. It is way to late to capitalize on software or services....a company picking them up, would essentially be starting at square one. The right buyer might be interested in doing that......there certainly is no buyer who will want to produce BB10 phones. The BB name is less worth than 0....it is now synonymous with left-behind-ineptness.

Developers know it. There will be no more development for BB10. There is no more chance. BB10 will not ever take-off.

If anyone chooses to buy a BB10 phone now, realize you're buying orphaned technology. If you want it, by all means do it. Your choice.

I feel bad for BB employees....but most of all, I feel bad for duped consumers who might have believed what Heins was telling them. When I first came here, I didn't really care what happened to BB - that's my secret power over you people.....I don't care and I see things for what they are - but if anything I was rooting for BB. Competition is good...very good for all consumers, and why not have a continued Canadian tech success? Now, honestly, I think they deserve to die. All the lying.....all the snake-oil lying to customers....man you die-hards are forgiving.

Was this a rant or nah? Also, I don't get the "hi KevinN" part. I do, but umm, creepy.
    richardat likes this.
    08-22-13 12:54 AM

Welcome back Richard.
    08-22-13 03:05 AM
    Well, the way I look at it, It doesn't really matter to me either way. But as it stands nothing is final just yet, so i'll just keep enjoying my BB devices. For now, this is all just people posting commentary and people commenting on commentary. If they eventually got broken up for sale, etc, then it will be sad for me since I think BB10 has potential. But I'll move on. I have 3 other platforms to choose from.

Even being a huge BB fan, I am inclined to believe that the future is looking really bleak. But I still have some hope left in me that the company might go private and hopefully still kept operational in one piece. I'm not oblivious to the fact that BB is not doing well at all, but really, as much as I like the company and it's products, it is just a company after all. I might feel some nostalgia when I pick up my old BB devices 10 years down the road, but that's probably about it.

There are no excuses to be made. They company choose to do what they did, no one forced them at gunpoint. If the decisions that they made are killing the company so be it. That's just how it is. As a fan of the company, I have bought 2 Z10 and the Q10. All of which I enjoyed immensely despite their flaws, in fact the Q10 is only a few features aways from being the perfect device for me (something I have said time and time again and am not hopeful that BlackBerry will implement).

Nonetheless, I think it's all too early for the doom and gloom speculations. There are still other things to look forward to. The Z30, BB10.2, BBM cross-platform, BB Jam asia is coming up too. I am personally just going to let nature take its own course and enjoy my BlackBerry devices now.
    08-22-13 03:33 AM

This would explain that astonishingly bad piece of software called "Link".

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    08-22-13 07:27 AM
    Lol. Nice Grand Finale richarddat.

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    08-22-13 07:47 AM
    The sources are all hawks and only hawks. So pretty one sided

The problem with the article though is stating that nobody wants to buy the less profitable parts... They're saying nobody want's the whole company.

Logic or lack of it being BB- should sell of their profitable parts while keeping thier junk

72 million is still a lot of users with new BB7 out - discounting the users from BB10. The point is not that everything is roasy but more that the scenario BGR sees will never happen it's a quit without a pro quo senario and these never happen..
    08-22-13 08:04 AM
    What I dont understand is how amazingly naive these authors are.

They make points then disregard half of their own points to focus on the negative.

For example... BB phone business is MOSTLY worthless because MOST buyers dont want it, so that means BB will be sold in pieces.

the authors conclusion from THAT statement, which is their own is that BB will be broken up because MOST buyers wont want the phone services. Well, if you are buying pieces then does that not mean that you have the choice NOT to buy the phone services? Also, if MOST buyers are not interested in the phone business does not not also mean that SOME buyers are? So is there not a chance of someone buying ALL of BB by reading the exact same sentence that leads the author to conclude that BB is dead and going to be sold for scrap?

Sure, chances are if there is an offer it wont be refused, regardless of the type of deal... but lets at least be civil here. People are posting nonsense like this and it is literally fueling the fire that is costing people their jobs. The amount of negative spin from years ago has put BB into this position just as much as a slow release of BB10. IMO BB10 is easily a top 2 OS, but with all the negative clouding around BB it did not get a fair chance, especially since there are people just waiting to be the first to 'report' on the failure of a former leader.

Every time something good is posted about BB we are told to 'take it with a grain of salt' , but something 'bad' does not happen and BAM front page news with obituaries.

I know this is a dire situation, but none of us have our jobs and lives on the line like the people losing jobs because of trolling and blatant misinformation that has been going on for years regarding BB.
    08-22-13 08:51 AM
    If the next BlackBerry could cure cancer, solve world hunger and spawn world peace, BGR would still rip it apart. Their negativity of BlackBerry has no bounds

Swipe, swipe it good...via CB10 from my Z10
    08-22-13 08:59 AM
    @FS, there really hasn't been any good news lately. A few random threads saying BlackBerry is making huge gains in markshare using Statcounter data, but that's about it.
    richardat and JeepBB like this.
    08-22-13 09:04 AM

Although I agree that there are problems, and BB will look vastly different in the future I do see BB living on. I know the phones arent selling... but that is the fault of everything on BBs management side. If a company like samsung or nokia (or my hopeful sony) pump a bit of money into BB10 I believe it will succeed. Im not sure why you say it is lackluster, i personally feel it is much better than iOS and Android... difference of opinion is fine though.

I know there hasnt been discussion of this yet, and I dont want to start rumors (because this is just my imagination running wild) but imagine a company like Sony buying BB. They can then release their own phones with the option of BB10 or Android, or abandon Android if they want (highly unlikely)... but, this will open up a whole new secure market for whatever company buys BB. Sony can then use BB10 as a base for their mobile devices like PS Vita, and eReaders and everything else. They want to make a push in mobile computing, and this may be the way. There are many companies that are on the edge of having total control of consumers and Sony and Samsung are only a few. Sony build very nice hardware, but is relying on others for OS and software. I can go into more detail but really this is all just my thoughts. For me, there are just as many options for BB as others believe there is not. I really enjoy the Z10 and BB10, and BB has failed miserably at advertising and developing aftermarket for both of these... but that doesnt mean another company cannot take over and do a proper job.

I think that the only thing that can save BB (in whatever way) is a buy out by a competent company because it is clear that all Heins was attempting was to have a quarter or two of decent results to raise the sale value. Now, what they need is someone to realize what the potentials of a competent company being behind BB10 can lead to.

So, rich... I do agree with most of what you said. Mostly of BB botching almost everything in the last year+... but i still see some hope of survival, in whatever way. It may not be BB10, but the OS does have potential... BB as a company (leadership) doesnt.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    08-22-13 09:09 AM
    The margin for handset manufacturers is going away. Much like the shift in the PC market back in the day. The only way forward for BlackBerry is SaaS. They know it and the transition to get there isn't going to be easy. RIM was always a niche product company, always will be. At this point its the software that matters and if they can sell it. The handsets are just a distraction.
    08-22-13 09:22 AM
    @FS, there really hasn't been any good news lately. A few random threads saying BlackBerry is making huge gains in markshare using Statcounter data, but that's about it.
    agreed. but that may be part of the problem. is there absolutely no good news or are people just not caring to report it? If they report a positive about BB then that breaks the stream of negativity and gives hope to people. It is much easier to just ignore the good and continue to highlight the fact that the assistant janitors coffee was cold on wednesday. Yes, at this moment there are not many good things to say... but when there was good news it was glossed over, and that has helped lead us down the path we are on right now.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    08-22-13 09:25 AM
    The margin for handset manufacturers is going away. Much like the shift in the PC market back in the day. The only way forward for BlackBerry is SaaS. They know it and the transition to get there isn't going to be easy. RIM was always a niche product company, always will be. At this point its the software that matters and if they can sell it. The handsets are just a distraction.
    Agree on this as well... I know the manufacturing of phones just for BB10 isnt making money. And im not knowledgeable on this, but can a company not buy the BB phone business and retool it to fit their needs at a cost that is less than 800 million... and in doing so also end up with all the patents and BB10 OS?

again, i have no idea of the possibility of this, but it would seem that the physical space and machinery that BB owns will at least be worth something to companies.

Personally, i love sony desings but dont like android... so I wont buy a sony phone. If a company like sony offers BB10 phones (or BB10 on their current phones) I will be all over that!
    08-22-13 09:28 AM
    I wish bgr would break up.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 10:07 AM
    I know there hasnt been discussion of this yet, and I dont want to start rumors (because this is just my imagination running wild) but imagine a company like Sony buying BB. They can then release their own phones with the option of BB10 or Android, or abandon Android if they want (highly unlikely)... but, this will open up a whole new secure market for whatever company buys BB. Sony can then use BB10 as a base for their mobile devices like PS Vita, and eReaders and everything else. They want to make a push in mobile computing, and this may be the way. There are many companies that are on the edge of having total control of consumers and Sony and Samsung are only a few. Sony build very nice hardware, but is relying on others for OS and software. I can go into more detail but really this is all just my thoughts. For me, there are just as many options for BB as others believe there is not. I really enjoy the Z10 and BB10, and BB has failed miserably at advertising and developing aftermarket for both of these... but that doesnt mean another company cannot take over and do a proper job.
    Quoted because I really like this idea. After using the Xperia Z for over a month, I'm quickly becoming a Sony fangirl the same way I was a fan of HTC a couple years ago. BB10 + some of Sony's native apps + Sony's hardware = potential win. The Xperia Z is easily the slickest phone I've ever owned, and I've owned a fair few.
    FSeverino likes this.
    08-22-13 10:20 AM
    So..... BGR says.

Who the hell cares what BGR says.
    when Apple Fan writer (All BGR writers) says things about BBRY, you know it 100% HATE
    so i hope they will Shutdown
    08-22-13 10:23 AM
    Quoted because I really like this idea. After using the Xperia Z for over a month, I'm quickly becoming a Sony fangirl the same way I was a fan of HTC a couple years ago. BB10 + some of Sony's native apps + Sony's hardware = potential win. The Xperia Z is easily the slickest phone I've ever owned, and I've owned a fair few.
    I will always buy sony ereaders. no matter how well integrated all the other ones are with book stores the sony ereaders actually FEEL good, and the buttons are a huge plus in my mind, and they even look good (the newest version is a bit iffy though). I even went so far as buying an extra sony prst1 in case mine breaks or gets lost. still in the box lol.

but yes, it boggles my mind how no one is 'thinking' of this in any articles. no one is talking about potential ways to save the company (not that they necessarily should by any means, but it would just be a nice piece of journalism in my mind)
    08-22-13 10:28 AM
59 123