10-14-13 11:10 AM
214 ... 6789
tools
    Yup, fabricated fiction.

Thanks for posting this!!!!
    diegonei likes this.
    10-09-13 11:15 AM
    Umm, that was Gizmodo. (I think)

Does BRG's credibility even matter. Even if I were an Apple fan boy, its been a long time since he found a phone in a bar and leaked it to the world. Has he had any interesting content since then? Yet somehow he has found a way to stay relevant and funded for a long time.

At least here at MN you can get useful info on all platforms with a healthy does of good spirited rivalry.

Posted via CB10

Twitter: xandermac
    Just Me likes this.
    10-09-13 11:22 AM
    Ouch, there's another punch to the groin of Gellar.

Whats BGR's credibility at now?
    Well, to be fair (assuming we have to be), I'm the one who made that connection. Gellar didn't really say much of anything about the sender.
    10-09-13 11:26 AM
    Yup, fabricated fiction.

Thanks for posting this!!!!
    I do agree that it is fake, but I think there is still a lack of clarity in the actual "tweet". What she said is "FYI: whoever wrote the fake article is not me... And have no idea why this person does that"

I think it can be construed that she is indicating that she was not the author of the article. It is not making any comments on the actual content of the article/email. I know folks will talk about it may be a "second language", but seeing how she was a reporter (I think that is what I read) and she majored in communications in the US, perhaps she is purposely not commenting on the emails.

Anyway ... good to finally see her say something about it.
    10-09-13 11:30 AM
    Well, to be fair (assuming we have to be), I'm the one who made that connection. Gellar didn't really say much of anything about the sender.
    But he posted it. We know how much he loves to brag about his sources being reliable and true, then what does that say?
    10-09-13 11:33 AM
    I found this part interesting. After all that has happened, I have to agree with him. I remember all of the excitement surrounding BlackBerry when they announced that they had taken over QNX. We saw countless people here mention "nuclear power stations, tanks, international space station, the routers that power the internet" and so on and so on.

I admit, there was a time when I got really excited as well. But reality slowly sets in and one day I asked myself - "Self, if QNX was so amazing, why did it take so long for someone to buy them and why was the entire company only worth $200 million?".

Now, years after the fact, we can look back. Upon looking back, we see that BlackBerry hasn't released a single successful product based on QNX. Not one! The PlayBook was a failure to the tune of nearly 1.5 billion if the estimates are true. The Z10 just had a $930 to $960 million dollar write off. We don't know how poorly the Q10 and Q5 have done yet, but based on the very small numbers of shipped BB10 device, we know they aren't doing well. 2 year old BlackBerry phones are still out selling the ones that are based on QNX.

I don't know what BlackBerry could have or should have done differently, but buying QNX certainly seems like a mistake at this point.
    This is probably the most clueless post in a long time...

...I never understood: why do people so keen on displaying their utter lack of knowledge about various topics by posting long-winded, ignorant opinion pieces, without any clue or real facts, only based on ideas pulled out of their bottom part, resulting in some meaningless conclusion? Like this quote above: he clearly has absolutely no ****in' clue about QNX' product line, nothing, nada, nil - yet he loudly declares it to be a failure, saying there are no products. I'm baffled by this ... are you people too lazy to use even Google now?
    QNX is a well-established RTOS for a long time now and though it's not exactly my area by touching on it during discussions with friends working in EDA/CAM/etc fields I think it was in dire need of a modern, capable, nice GUI and a load of other things back then to be in the best position to prevent Android encroaching into commercial embedded territory as soon as "the internet of things" starts taking up (think of online fridges, cars, houses, etc etc.). In my eyes it was supposed to be a match made in heaven (especially with the TAT acquisition - I still consider BB10 one of the best looking GUIs out there, certainly miles ahead of iOS), Lazaridis was actually dead on with this deal, this could have been - with the right investor still could be, I must add - a way out of the killer handset market or at least could have given it a new lease of life.
    Unfortunately, as always, BB/he once again royally screwed up the execution (probably even his game plan was bad from the beginning eg running the two teams separated), this time apparently fatally wounding the company.
    QNX was largely left untouched so it will likely live on but I'm not sure if it stays within BB...
    Last edited by szlevi; 10-09-13 at 11:56 AM.
    r0v3rT3N and cbvinh like this.
    10-09-13 11:35 AM
    All for discussing products. But bringing in Steve Jobs to a thread having to do with an email exchange supposedly between BlackBerry leadership has absolutely no bearing on Steve Jobs.
    Well, I was one of those who invoked Steve Jobs. The reason was because the poster I was replying to first said it's unprofessional on the part of Saunders, which I agree with. Then s/he went on generalize and say it's typical behavior of BlackBerry because they're "amateurs trying to compete against professionals," and ended with this amateurism being the reason why BlackBerry "will soon be out of business." So this person brought non-BlackBerry entities into the discussion (said professionals.) If he would have just said it was unprofessional, I wouldn't have replied. Heck, even if s/he had said it was unprofessional, it's typical and they'll be out of business soon, I wouldn't have replied.

BTW, guess who Motorola recently hired in Waterloo. Guess Google likes amateurs on their payroll too.
    playboldbook and bigbmc26 like this.
    10-09-13 11:57 AM
    But he posted it. We know how much he loves to brag about his sources being reliable and true, then what does that say?
    I dunno. That there's someone else out there named Sha Sa who is somehow connected with BBRY? I'm not going to defend him. (Or criticize him for that matter -- I'm BGR-neutral.)
    diegonei likes this.
    10-09-13 12:00 PM
    All for discussing products. But bringing in Steve Jobs to a thread having to do with an email exchange supposedly between BlackBerry leadership has absolutely no bearing on Steve Jobs.
    I guess I will politely disagree. If the statements are that upper management of companies should not act this way, then bringing in other examples as reference is acceptable. Especially if others have no qualms about using this as an example of how BB staff act. In other words, it is not just BB staff that act poorly sometimes. I know Steve Jobs did a lot for Apple and the smartphone world, but he was far from a saint.
    10-09-13 12:26 PM
    "My twitter account was HACKED!!!!"
    10-09-13 03:54 PM
    OT

Samsung Galaxy Note II (yes, mine is bigger than yours)
    Xperia Z Ultra here, get out of the way, little man...
    10-09-13 04:07 PM
    Ouch, there's another punch to the groin of Gellar.

Whats BGR's credibility at now?
    I'm not aware BGR has had any credibility since he was first to break info on the BB Pearl. Ever since he's been a nasty little joke.
    diegonei likes this.
    10-09-13 04:29 PM
    Does BRG's credibility even matter. Even if I were an Apple fan boy, its been a long time since he found a phone in a bar and leaked it to the world. Has he had any interesting content since then? Yet somehow he has found a way to stay relevant and funded for a long time.

At least here at MN you can get useful info on all platforms with a healthy does of good spirited rivalry.

Posted via CB10
    But you gotta admit.. the photos Jonathan and co. at BGR find of the latest iPhone and iPad cables and other internal pieces are STUNNING.......................................... ........
    raino likes this.
    10-09-13 05:18 PM
    But you're the biggest one there....

I troll the BBRY trolls there.....never tried to hide it..
    10-09-13 11:48 PM
    Who died and made u the queen of the message board?
    The king

Posted from my Z10
    10-10-13 12:03 AM
    So... I don't see where is the news?
    There is this "sha sa" sending insults from weeks to Alec, and he replied with "F you"
    ?

Where is the news? He should say "thank you"?
    10-10-13 02:00 AM
    Not sure what QnX has to do with BlackBerry 'failures '.

As far as I know, QnX is top RTos.

Posted via CB10
    So was Symbian.
    10-10-13 06:45 AM
    I troll the BBRY trolls there.....never tried to hide it..
    You're not exactly doing the BB fanbase or its reputation any favors by clogging the comments section there with those kinds of antics.
    kevinnugent and diegonei like this.
    10-10-13 06:52 AM
    So was Symbian.
    Symbian's core was nice but all the things on top of it - UI/framework/etc - was always inefficient crap, I think, at least compared to the hardware that powered their target platforms (phones.)
    10-10-13 08:53 AM
    Symbian's core was nice but all the things on top of it - UI/framework/etc - was always inefficient crap, I think, at least compared to the hardware that powered their target platforms (phones.)
    Wow that sounds ridiculously familiar...
    10-10-13 09:29 AM
    Wow that sounds ridiculously familiar...
    And we're back to normal... Why can't good things last?
    raino likes this.
    10-10-13 10:36 AM
    Assuming this "story" is legit, why didn't BGR post a PDF of the original email? Just posting the text makes it suspicious that working was changed, but showing a PDF of the email with headers would be more credible.
    10-10-13 10:41 AM
    But it is doing BBRY favors to allow BGR and the usual trolls on the site to spread their lies and anti-BBRY rhetoric?

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 11:40 AM
    And I do when given the opportunity... I'm just sick of people mindless bashing that goes on there...and, just like any organization with a poor culture, it is cultivated from the top down. Case in point....BGR posts this BS article about Alec, yet doesn't post FACTUAL information about BBRY like how they made Thomson Reuters Top 100 innovative companies in 2013...or how QNX has release a new software driven noise dampening system..

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 11:44 AM
    Because none of those things are going to keep them in business. Noise dampening system? Yay...you wont see that on a phone so who really cares what qnx does?
    I'm not sure that an email with a swear word would have a material effect on their business either...

Posted via CB10
    mnhockeycoach99 and h20work like this.
    10-10-13 12:06 PM
214 ... 6789