10-14-13 12:10 PM
214 ... 56789
tools
    I found this part interesting. After all that has happened, I have to agree with him. I remember all of the excitement surrounding BlackBerry when they announced that they had taken over QNX. We saw countless people here mention "nuclear power stations, tanks, international space station, the routers that power the internet" and so on and so on.

I admit, there was a time when I got really excited as well. But reality slowly sets in and one day I asked myself - "Self, if QNX was so amazing, why did it take so long for someone to buy them and why was the entire company only worth $200 million?".

Now, years after the fact, we can look back. Upon looking back, we see that BlackBerry hasn't released a single successful product based on QNX. Not one! The PlayBook was a failure to the tune of nearly 1.5 billion if the estimates are true. The Z10 just had a $930 to $960 million dollar write off. We don't know how poorly the Q10 and Q5 have done yet, but based on the very small numbers of shipped BB10 device, we know they aren't doing well. 2 year old BlackBerry phones are still out selling the ones that are based on QNX.

I don't know what BlackBerry could have or should have done differently, but buying QNX certainly seems like a mistake at this point.
    So you think sticking with the old os would have been better?
    Or changing to android?

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 07:34 AM
    Pales in comparison to some of the things Steve Jobs said to people while leading Apple.... Also, if real, he showed a lot of restraint, I wouldn't have been near as polite to the person.
    Last edited by pkcable; 10-09-13 at 09:20 AM.
    undone and diegonei like this.
    10-09-13 07:41 AM
    Uhh.. just me or is anyone else failing to see why any of this even matters? Alec dropped an F bomb in an email.... and.. so what? lol.
    Wouldn't have mattered at all if bgr didn't decide to 'report' it . . .
    diegonei likes this.
    10-09-13 07:42 AM
    If you spent more time here on CB, you'd never ask that question.

It's interesting on a number of levels, aside from the F-bomb one. Whoever Sha Sa is, even if it isn't the same BBRY employee Sha Sa who mysteriously and abruptly disappeared from the BB Jam Asia presentation she was supposed to give, she/he made some prescient observations about the company, name checked Lenovo CEO Yang Yuanqing, and then of course obviously struck a nerve with Alec.
    Well, we can certainly agree there. That is indeed the more interesting part.. but then I'm left to wonder if that's the real motivation behind the BGR post rather than the stated intent. Her Twitter has gone silent as well..https://mobile.twitter.com/chinaliuba

Something truly... Odd here.
    diegonei and mnhockeycoach99 like this.
    10-09-13 09:03 AM
    Her Twitter has gone silent as well..https://mobile.twitter.com/chinaliuba

Something truly... Odd here.
    Looks like she didn't use it much to begin with.
    10-09-13 09:19 AM
    Uhh.. just me or is anyone else failing to see why any of this even matters? Alec dropped an F bomb in an email.... and.. so what? lol.
    it's unprofessional. but that's typical of Blackberry. they're amateurs trying to compete against professionals. and that's why they'll soon be out of business.
    10-09-13 09:36 AM
    I care not. If Alec dropped the F bomb, so be it. Does it really matter at the end of the day? I think it is all pseudo, but even if it is not, who cares?
    10-09-13 09:49 AM
    it's unprofessional. but that's typical of Blackberry. they're amateurs trying to compete against professionals. and that's why they'll soon be out of business.
    Nice tie-in there. Now tell me, have you used your iMore membership to call out Steve Jobs' unprofessional behavior too? That was typical too, so I would love to hear what you have to say about that, and what you would tie that in to.
    10-09-13 09:51 AM
    Also, my life has been much easier since I stopped going over to BGR. Not sure of the allure of that site.
    10-09-13 09:52 AM
    Her linked In profile still said employed by BlackBerry when I checked yesterday
    10-09-13 09:54 AM
    It's the BlackBerry double standard. If Steve Jobs told someone like this to eff off he would be celebrated as a hero of the people. But someone at BlackBerry says it and it's clearly the worst thing to ever happen to humanity.

Posted via CB10
    undone likes this.
    10-09-13 10:03 AM
    It's the BlackBerry double standard. If Steve Jobs told someone like this to eff off he would be celebrated as a hero of the people. But someone at BlackBerry says it and it's clearly the worst thing to ever happen to humanity.
    Why are you guys comparing current BlackBerry execs to a dead guy?
    10-09-13 10:05 AM
    Why are you guys comparing current BlackBerry execs to a dead guy?
    Because nobody would have blinked if Steve Jobs, or any other public tech figure sent this same email. It's another case of piling onto BlackBerry and kicking them while they are down.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 10:08 AM
    Because nobody would have blinked if Steve Jobs, or any other public tech figure sent this same email. It's another case of piling onto BlackBerry and kicking them while they are down.
    I think the biggest river has already been cried.
    10-09-13 10:11 AM
    I think the biggest river has already been cried.
    Hey, I don't feel sorry for Alec, I'm sure he's done very well over his time with BlackBerry. I just find the intense desire some people have to kick Blackberry while they are down very strange.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    10-09-13 10:15 AM
    Nice tie-in there. Now tell me, have you used your iMore membership to call out Steve Jobs' unprofessional behavior too? That was typical too, so I would love to hear what you have to say about that, and what you would tie that in to.
    If I was to hazard a guess, I would assume he would compare the two behaviours and suggest that Jobs' unprofessional behaviour was done in a more respectful and subtle manner and then of course continue to tie this into "why blackberry will be bankrupt".
    10-09-13 10:18 AM

Posted via CB10
    Can't a BlackBerry discussion stand on its own merits without bringing in any outside players?

Posted via CB10
    reeneebob and kevinnugent like this.
    10-09-13 11:20 AM
    If saying the F bomb is so serious, we should get Obama to say it so he can get impeached. Children everywhere will no longer like him. /sarcasm. LOL Seriously, he just said the F-bomb. Big deal. Sometimes, an extensive vocabulary just doesn't add up to all the frustration, that that one word has. If I read that travesty of the english language, I would have been frustrated too.
    10-09-13 11:32 AM
    Don't you know? Anything posted over BGR is of the utmost importance. Whatever he touches turns into news-gold.

/endrant
    10-09-13 11:36 AM
    10-09-13 11:39 AM
    Can't a BlackBerry discussion stand on its own merits without bringing in any outside players?

Posted via CB10
    That is a bit rich, how many threads have you been a part of where it started out trying to be excited about BlackBerry products and several people jump in to say BlackBerry sucks because apple and/or android already have this or do it better. I'm afraid there is always a comparison to the other in these forums. So why is it a big deal now? Not supposed to mention the bad things others do?
    10-09-13 11:41 AM
    Ouch, there's another punch to the groin of Gellar.

Whats BGR's credibility at now?
    diegonei, r0v3rT3N and SK122387 like this.
    10-09-13 11:42 AM
    Ouch, there's another punch to the groin of Gellar.

Whats BGR's credibility at now?
    Miko! We had our fair share of disagreements, but boy, when we agree, we agree 110%.
    10-09-13 11:48 AM
    Does BRG's credibility even matter. Even if I were an Apple fan boy, its been a long time since he found a phone in a bar and leaked it to the world. Has he had any interesting content since then? Yet somehow he has found a way to stay relevant and funded for a long time.

At least here at MN you can get useful info on all platforms with a healthy does of good spirited rivalry.

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    10-09-13 12:11 PM
    That is a bit rich, how many threads have you been a part of where it started out trying to be excited about BlackBerry products and several people jump in to say BlackBerry sucks because apple and/or android already have this or do it better. I'm afraid there is always a comparison to the other in these forums. So why is it a big deal now? Not supposed to mention the bad things others do?
    All for discussing products. But bringing in Steve Jobs to a thread having to do with an email exchange supposedly between BlackBerry leadership has absolutely no bearing on Steve Jobs.
    10-09-13 12:11 PM
214 ... 56789