10-14-13 11:10 AM
214 123 ...
tools
    From BGR: BlackBerry VP unloads in epic email thread with shareholder, analysts | BGR

For those of you too afraid to click the scary link:

BlackBerry VP of Developer Relations Alec Saunders hasnt done a great job in his role. But to pop off like this in an email chain thats sent to a whole heap of important BlackBerry analysts, investors and executives? Thats low, even for someone who has basically failed to try to corral developers and big name partners into developing apps for BlackBerrys ecosystem.

Below is a portion of the full email thread, and we have removed part of the actual emails out of respect for the unwilling participants. It starts off with the sender blasting out an email insinuating that Prem Watsa, BlackBerry shareholder and investor, is out of his mind for thinking BlackBerry is worth $9 a share. He goes on to discuss what he thinks BlackBerry is worth, or not worth, and how it will affect Fairfax Financial if its goes through with its not-so-solid deal. Alec Saunders replies with a big **** you you parasite, and the original sender then calls Saunders impotent at work (and at home!).

Its hard to blame Alec for lashing out, though. Just for some context, the sender has been sending emails like this for months, maybe longer. But whats more interesting is how accurate most of them are in terms of predicting whats happening to BlackBerry, how the market will most likely react, and what traders and other companies have been saying about the company behind closed doors.

Date: Sep 26, 2013
    To: sha_sa2
    Cc: sha_sa2″; asarim; Aziz Sarim; xiaowei wang; Weidong Li; Scott Thomson; Mark Sue; Peter Misek; Mike liu; Tim Long; Jiayuan James Zhou; Frank Cotter>; harrywangca; Ehud Gelblum; Jeff Kvaal; Alec Saunders; Jonathan Geller<jonathan@bgr.com>; dthandapany; Tal Liani; alec.saunders; Thorsten Heins;

Subject: Did Wasta Predicted Tech Crash in 2000?

9 dollar is decentI have to admit he was good predicting crashes, however, just like buffet, hes not good at tech, in fact, he doesnt even know how to use a computer.If he was good at tech, why did he buy RIMM over 40 dollars? While he was in the board of director, he did BBRY do?Mike Larzaridis is not coming back even if he didnt get illness. He has no face to come back, he lied too much before he step downAugust quarter, it loses 1 billion, what about Sep-Nov quarter, it lays of 4500 people, it will cost them around 400 million, depend of each mans salary, years of services, vacation, etc. next quarter they will lose more than 1 billion dollars, over 2 dollars/share, BBRY should only worth 4 to 5 dollars by November, so 9 dollars offer is decent, again Wasta doesnt know anything about smartphone.free BBM makes no money, more user it took, more man power, hardware they will spend, so cost up, revenue 0 from BBM, I dont recommand any Chinese to buy BBRY phone, or develop APP for BBRY, but I DO recommand all Chinese to download BBRY.

Wasta can learn from his mistake, still walk away with no penalty, BBRY keeps bleeding, bankruptcy is near, however, if Wasta takes bbry with him, with in 2 years, Fairfax will go bankruptcy

QNX was a garbage, RIMM takes it, RIMM becomes garbage, Fairfax takes RIMM, Fairfax becomes garbage

Original

Now all analysts are following me, so theres no doubt that bbry to lose another billion or 2 dollar/share by end of November, By end of November Wasta wont pay 9 dollars for a company only worth 5 dollars.
    Another big win this quarter for the teacher. actually the teacher starts to cover now, short too many shares, take time to cover.
    Although the teacher suspect, no one takes over bbry, then bankruptcy. Stock market is like this, Goog takes over Moto, Dell takes over dell, msft takes over nokia, everyone believe someone to take over bbry, band! band! just like Lehmann, bbry bankrupt. no one did anything!
    However, the teacher is expert in trading, and evaluate.
    The game plan is following: start to cover all shorts first, probably it will take another week or so. Then wait until November, if fairfax take over RIM, short FFH.TO, if no one takes over RIM, short BBRY, If someone else take over RIM, short someone else

Original

Date: Oct 5, 2013
    To: sha sa
    Subject: Re: The teacher predicted layoff cost 400 million before Sep 26themail

**** you. Take me off your goddamn mailing list you parasite.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Original

Alec,
    I forgive you to use that F word, I am shameful as you graduated from University of Waterloo. Its not your fault QNX is garbage. Its not your fault RIM goes to bankruptcy. Relax man, you lose too much hair recently, As I am good at evaluate company and people, I say you are both impotent at work and home!

Sha Sa

Here are a couple completely separate emails from earlier in the year:

For the tech world, dont take over the worst player, i.e. QNX is the worst real time OS, BBRY took over QNX, then the market value goes down 90%, so dont take over the worst player like BBRY. One day, very soon, BBRY wont be even worth 500 million dollars, i.e. 1 dollar a share.Thanks

And:

1. Heins said in the conference call about its still early stage of BB10. No, it was supposed to release 2 years ago. Larzaridis lied about missing hardware, now can he tell us which hardware, so BB10 is a 2 years ago grandfather phone.

2. 2.7 million BB10 phone was sent to carrier, recognized as revenue, to sold to customer, there will be million BB10 phones return from Carrier to RIM

And:

I probably shouldnt short BBRY without hedge, I probably shouldnt short so many BBRY. However, Yang told his leadership team that after BBRY is bankrupt for fire sale, we will buy a few buildings, cheap equipments ETC. He said BB10 is dead, we are focusing on Android and Windows phone.
    10-08-13 10:16 AM
    We have got to stop putting people with low to zero interpersonal and ethical intelligence at the top of human organizations. No matter how much money they make.
    BCITMike and Mack Gans like this.
    10-08-13 10:23 AM
    I think Alec said the right thing. I've seen worse with much less provocation. What I don't understand is why this is news.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 10:24 AM
    It seems BGR bloggers love to write these kind of articles. "Anonymous", please hack BGR.
    10-08-13 10:30 AM
    Impeccable timing

Posted via CB10
    Air Force One likes this.
    10-08-13 10:36 AM
    as i wrote in another thread

First part of email, all quotations are correct

Date: Sep 26, 2013
    To: “sha_sa2
    Cc: “sha_sa2″; “asarim”; “Aziz Sarim”; “xiaowei wang”; “Weidong Li”; “Scott Thomson”; “Mark Sue; “Peter Misek; “Mike liu”; “Tim Long”; “Jiayuan James Zhou”; “Frank Cotter>; “harrywangca”; “Ehud Gelblum”; “Jeff Kvaal”; “Alec Saunders”; “Jonathan Geller”<jonathan@bgr.com>; “dthandapany”; “Tal Liani”; “alec.saunders”; “Thorsten Heins”;
    Second part, quotations all are wrong.

Date: Oct 5, 2013
    To: ”sha sa”
    Subject: Re: The teacher predicted layoff cost 400 million before Sep 26themail
    So that's pointed out, and also the "subjects" are different.

Some people have no times on their hands other than to think of ways to bash BlackBerry
    10-08-13 10:39 AM
    He's obviously been trolling Saunders (and that list) for a long time. I would have probably replied the same way... although I'm amazed it didn't get blocked as spam... since it makes the Nigerian prince I transferred $10,000, to help him transfer out $10,000,000, sound like a Nobel Literature prize winner.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 10:44 AM
    Nice spam, i guess it's really time to cover those shorts, you ******* parasites

Posted via CB10
    tahabashir1991 and ItrathA like this.
    10-08-13 10:48 AM
    He's obviously been trolling Saunders (and that list) for a long time. I would have probably replied the same way... although I'm amazed it didn't get blocked as spam... since it makes the Nigerian prince I transferred $10,000, to help him transfer out $10,000,000, sound like a Nobel Literature prize winner.

Posted via CB10
    He sent you an offer too?

I figure either invest it in BBRY or send him the $10K....
    10-08-13 10:55 AM
    GOD!!! will Geller ever stop? This “article” has no facts, no relevance, no dignity, no honor, no nothing! This is a new low even for someone like Gellar. He should consider moving to perez Hilton website! At least people would know what to expect from his “articles”
    10-08-13 10:56 AM
    Geller is a parasite ....
    Last edited by pkcable; 10-08-13 at 03:30 PM. Reason: language
    10-08-13 10:58 AM
    Good for Alec, I would of said far worse to the parasite.

I don't see what the problem is.

Posted via CB10
    Dodger52, Dougie011, Pard and 2 others like this.
    10-08-13 11:00 AM
    QNX was a garbage, RIMM takes it, RIMM becomes garbage
    I found this part interesting. After all that has happened, I have to agree with him. I remember all of the excitement surrounding BlackBerry when they announced that they had taken over QNX. We saw countless people here mention "nuclear power stations, tanks, international space station, the routers that power the internet" and so on and so on.

I admit, there was a time when I got really excited as well. But reality slowly sets in and one day I asked myself - "Self, if QNX was so amazing, why did it take so long for someone to buy them and why was the entire company only worth $200 million?".

Now, years after the fact, we can look back. Upon looking back, we see that BlackBerry hasn't released a single successful product based on QNX. Not one! The PlayBook was a failure to the tune of nearly 1.5 billion if the estimates are true. The Z10 just had a $930 to $960 million dollar write off. We don't know how poorly the Q10 and Q5 have done yet, but based on the very small numbers of shipped BB10 device, we know they aren't doing well. 2 year old BlackBerry phones are still out selling the ones that are based on QNX.

I don't know what BlackBerry could have or should have done differently, but buying QNX certainly seems like a mistake at this point.
    10-08-13 11:01 AM
    No one likes to be told they should have listened to so and so... Especially when it's an epic F-up or a series of them.

But we all learn to come to grips with these things. And as we mature, very often we learn that many people have valuable insight and advice.

Execs and directors have to this day (as a group) not matured to this level. I'm not attacking them, or putting them down. It's just the way it is.

What would have been the harm for Alec to say - "thank you for your valuable imput. We will take it under proper advisement."

Or heck, I don't know, the guy has made $10M + over the last decade in the tech industry, you'd think he could simply add the guy to his spam folder. Or asked his tech folks to do it for him.

I don't have a problem with anyone using profanity. It is a valuable tool at expressing a certain level of dissatisfaction. I think the fact that he could not ignore or block more electronic communication far more disconcerting.
    kbz1960, JeepBB, richardat and 2 others like this.
    10-08-13 11:02 AM
    soooo.... this "sa sha" emails every bbry head and a guy from bgr?

how convenient...

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 11:03 AM
    Even if this is true, it doesn't make me think any less of Alec. Everyone can have a bad day and I don't think it's indicative of a pattern.
    And what's with the impotence reference? That's way more unprofessional than swearing, IMO.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 11:05 AM
    Such a shame that Alec has stooped to this level. Doesn't surprise me with the way things are going though.
    richardat likes this.
    10-08-13 11:05 AM
    First of all the email composer, "sha sa" possesses the linguistics skills of a Grade 5 student, which makes for a painful read. He says things that are so outrageous even I wouldn't dare think to say them. Just shouldn't be taken seriously.

Secondly, Alec Saunders should have handled himself better. "Kindly remove me from your mailing list immediately or I'll charge you with harassment" might have been a more appropriate response. By cursing at someone he only made himself and BlackBerry look bad.

Some people have said he's CEO material. I don't see that at all with this exchange.
    10-08-13 11:06 AM
    Some people have said he's CEO material. I don't see that at all with this exchange.
    Does it really matter that he dropped the f bomb? He's not a church leader or a school principal... he didn't say anything that raises questions about his ability to work in the technology field.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 11:08 AM
    Alec Saunders should be terminated. The person who wrote the email said something that got under his skin.
    Yeah, I'm supporting Alec on this one.

What an absolute bell-end.

Posted via CB10
    RIM99, Pard and maddie1128 like this.
    And everyone ignores the fact that this has proof of possibly being fake...

Posted Via CB10 On The Brother Of Future Z30
    10-08-13 11:09 AM
    Awesome. This is how I'll be responding to the obvious trolls now.

**** you, you parasites.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    RIM99, gfondeur and maddie1128 like this.
    10-08-13 11:09 AM
    This is hilarious

Posted on my Q10.......while on the can
    10-08-13 11:12 AM
    And even if it's real, what?

I'm going to reply the same damn way, do u ever look through alec twitter to see how parasites attacks his tweets?

Posted Via CB10 On The Brother Of Future Z30
    10-08-13 11:15 AM
214 123 ...