12-09-13 12:39 AM
26 12
tools
    12-05-13 01:29 AM
    I'm not an expert. But my understanding is bes10 is quite competitive price wise. Just doing some casual looking a while back I believe the software itself was free and you purchased per device licences, for a bb10 phone the cost is a one time $99, for android and ios it is $99 every year. With that though afaik they are the only mdm to offer secure workspaces on the ios/android platform. Now obviously this doesn't take into account anything else that needs to be upgraded/server costs but afaik they pretty much all share this type of cost.

Someone can correct me if I am misinterpreting things since I havnt actually gone through with the process but that's the way I read it from their website.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 03:00 AM
    Check some of the other MDM providers... Airwatch chargers either $40 a year subscription or a $50 per device perpetual with a $10 per year maintenance fee. Wouldn't make much of a difference on 10 or 20 devices, but with several hundred or thousand devices....

To in some areas BES or Blackberry Advanced data plans cost more than standard plans, so this can be an additional cost.

It comes down to what your needs are, and how much you are willing to spend. Some MDM system are all online, no servers, no installation, no highly trained IT person.... jus sign up and go thru a few easy installation screens and poof - you are managing devices. For a small company with 10 - 30 devices, it is a no brainer.

Five, Six years ago, BlackBerry was pretty much it, and when it comes to NSA proof security, they still are. But for Bob's lawn care with 10 employees or Jean's Trucking Company with a 1000 drivers all over the country - these cheaper and simpler system might be a better option.

The point is there are OPTIONS - most any company Big or Small, is going to shop around today and find what fits their needs.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-05-13 09:34 AM
    For an existing BES deployment, going to BES10 is literally free. No additional cost for CALs, no additional software cost, you only pay for hardware (and many businesses get Z10s for free just like consumers have been). For new installations, there can be a significant up front cost (or yearly recurring). BES10 CALs are priced just about in the middle, some companies offer lower (like airwatch) and some are higher (GOOD for instance can charge more).
    dusdal, bungaboy and deiop like this.
    12-05-13 09:41 AM
    I have a friend at cisco and he said that was one of the biggest reasons small and midsized businesses were leaving blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 09:49 AM
    I have a friend at cisco and he said that was one of the biggest reasons small and midsized businesses were leaving blackberry.
    Wonder how many BESX installation there were?
    12-05-13 10:22 AM
    The article said that the company used BES with the BBOS devices and they have changed to non BB devices without mention of a 3rd party MDM platform. They could have used the BBOS devices with BIS instead and kept costs down.
    Another example of poor customer service and poor/incorrect product application resulting in negative press.

Sent while driving from my CrackBerry.
    12-05-13 11:37 AM
    My company (100 cellphones in service) is in the process of dropping BlackBerry for another MDM provider. When I asked why, they stated that the price was a big factor. That and their worry about if BlackBerry will be around in 12 months. I have been the biggest supporter to adopt BES10 but they don't listen to one of the sales guys.....
    12-05-13 11:56 AM
    I'm not an expert. But my understanding is bes10 is quite competitive price wise. Just doing some casual looking a while back I believe the software itself was free and you purchased per device licences, for a bb10 phone the cost is a one time $99, for android and ios it is $99 every year. With that though afaik they are the only mdm to offer secure workspaces on the ios/android platform. Now obviously this doesn't take into account anything else that needs to be upgraded/server costs but afaik they pretty much all share this type of cost.

Someone can correct me if I am misinterpreting things since I havnt actually gone through with the process but that's the way I read it from their website.

Posted via CB10
    Actually there are two different licensing types. The non-containerized license is $19.99/yr. The $99/yr is only for the secure container license.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 12:07 PM
    Actually there are two different licensing types. The non-containerized license is $19.99/yr. The $99/yr is only for the secure container license.

Posted via CB10
    What's the difference?
    12-05-13 12:12 PM
    What's the difference?
    The level of security. Essentially the $19 option gives the user email/contacts/calendar access in the native apps(touchdown for non moto Android) through the BES app. With the $99 option it acts like the BB10 Workspace the user uses the BES10 application to access the data. There by giving you more oversite on what if any 3rd party applications get access to work data. Hence the "secure container " concept.

Posted via CB10
    vrud likes this.
    12-05-13 03:12 PM
    I guess with aprox. 15 devices we are a small company. We took our time to investigate the MDM market. Sure airwatch are offering low cost solutions. But they offer device management, not security. When you choose for a container solution, the competition is not low cost. Think of Good for example. BES10 came out best. with the cloud solution coming, I think it can only get better for BlackBerry.

We have ios and BlackBerry devices on BES10.

Posted via CB10
    dusdal likes this.
    12-05-13 04:41 PM
    It appears that in the case cited in the OP the cost was the handset.

They wanted a cheaper handset and didn't need BES at all.

I don't see that they found a cheaper MDM. Looks like none at all?

Van City Coffee ; WhitecapsFC ; PreMed Community ; Bristol Rovers Football Club
    12-05-13 07:34 PM
    In which case it may be that BES is reasonably priced for those that need it.

12-05-13 07:37 PM
    Can someone savvy to BES enlighten me on the upcoming cloud service.

Is this a single subscriber per month service where an individual like myself could get BES access for a personal phone?

If so it would be phenomenal for small businesses.

12-06-13 02:46 AM
    not sure on pricing but the cloud version is basically the same as the on premise setup.... only you dont need any server hardware on your local network to run it. You only need a supported web browser to access the service, and BlackBerry maintains the server for you.

On premise is a single user subscription model so I would imagine the cloud version would be too. You dont need to buy licenses in packs of 5 or anything like that.

Can someone savvy to BES enlighten me on the upcoming cloud service.

Is this a single subscriber per month service where an individual like myself could get BES access for a personal phone?

If so it would be phenomenal for small businesses.

dusdal likes this.
    12-06-13 09:23 AM
    It appears that in the case cited in the OP the cost was the handset.

They wanted a cheaper handset and didn't need BES at all.

I don't see that they found a cheaper MDM. Looks like none at all?

Yeah, it's the overall TCO per user that seems to be what is actually being discussed not the price of BES alone - hard to compete when Nokia Lumia 520s can be had for as little as 60 ($98) per unit and are fine for a lot of staff and Android devices are going down and down in terms of price.
    12-06-13 09:28 AM
    Most small businesses try cut corners financially and security is the last on their minds. Many of the business do not have good it consultants to inform them about security risk and their options.

Posted from the most powerful smartphone,z10
    12-08-13 01:03 PM
    You missed the part where they aren't doing MDM anymore.

She estimated that UrbanVirons is now paying half the amount it did on BlackBerry. That’s because of both the device cost and the fact that the Dave phones do not require BES, she said.
    So they are using cheaper Android phones with no MDM solution. So it isn't a fair comparison on price. The fact that they quote 50 dollars per month per device also means that they didn't look at BES 10.2 costs and compare it to other MDM solutions. So of course it will be cheaper from BBOS 7 devices and BES 5.0 compared to Android and no MDM. Not a fair comparison. When you compare MDM solutions, BB10.2 is competitively priced.
    dusdal likes this.
    12-08-13 01:10 PM
    Check some of the other MDM providers... Airwatch chargers either $40 a year subscription or a $50 per device perpetual with a $10 per year maintenance fee. Wouldn't make much of a difference on 10 or 20 devices, but with several hundred or thousand devices....

To in some areas BES or Blackberry Advanced data plans cost more than standard plans, so this can be an additional cost.

It comes down to what your needs are, and how much you are willing to spend. Some MDM system are all online, no servers, no installation, no highly trained IT person.... jus sign up and go thru a few easy installation screens and poof - you are managing devices. For a small company with 10 - 30 devices, it is a no brainer.

Five, Six years ago, BlackBerry was pretty much it, and when it comes to NSA proof security, they still are. But for Bob's lawn care with 10 employees or Jean's Trucking Company with a 1000 drivers all over the country - these cheaper and simpler system might be a better option.

The point is there are OPTIONS - most any company Big or Small, is going to shop around today and find what fits their needs.
    SO why don't you tell us what it would cost for the same services with BES 10.2?
    nate8830 likes this.
    12-08-13 01:12 PM
    So they are using cheaper Android phones with no MDM solution. So it isn't a fair comparison on price. The fact that they quote 50 dollars per month per device also means that they didn't look at BES 10.2 costs and compare it to other MDM solutions. So of course it will be cheaper from BBOS 7 devices and BES 5.0 compared to Android and no MDM. Not a fair comparison. When you compare MDM solutions, BB10.2 is competitively priced.
    Saying "it isn't a fair comparison" is not entirely productive even if true. It seems more important to me to ask "Did they evaluate BES and if so, why and how did they determine it was too expensive/not appropriate?" If BES is indeed price competitive, then what exactly is stopping its uptake?

ETA: For example, are these businesses deciding that MDM is not needed after all? Is this the trend going forward in a significant part of the business market?
    12-08-13 03:33 PM
    Saying "it isn't a fair comparison" is not entirely productive even if true. It seems more important to me to ask "Did they evaluate BES and if so, why and how did they determine it was too expensive/not appropriate?" If BES is indeed price competitive, then what exactly is stopping its uptake?

ETA: For example, are these businesses deciding that MDM is not needed after all? Is this the trend going forward in a significant part of the business market?
    It is fair if they compared BES10 as MDM solution vs no MDM solution at all. That is what it looks like they did. And if companies are allowing smartphones to access company resources with no MDM solution at all, then they are just playing with fire and will get burnt.
    12-08-13 04:00 PM
    It is fair if they compared BES10 as MDM solution vs no MDM solution at all. That is what it looks like they did. And if companies are allowing smartphones to access company resources with no MDM solution at all, then they are just playing with fire and will get burnt.
    To be blunt, it is still looking at it reactively rather than proactively. Sure it's not fair but so what, life's unfair, and BBRY better not react to this kind of news the way many here are. It completely doesn't address why these companies did such a comparison in the first place, and what BBRY can do to change it. Do they provide risk-assessment that can tip the balance their way? Do they make themselves accessible and seem trustworthy so that potential customers don't feel like they are being taken to the cleaners? Is every MDM losing out or is it only BES10? Is it purely on cost and can BBRY be creative in how they can price things by volume/contract length/etc? Is there a disconnect between sales and head office that can be addressed to improve service? etc., etc.

Or... has BBRY done all that and still nothing is working to make BES 10 attractive? That would be a very sobering situation with dire implications if true.
    12-08-13 04:12 PM
    To be blunt, it is still looking at it reactively rather than proactively. Sure it's not fair but so what, life's unfair, and BBRY better not react to this kind of news the way many here are. It completely doesn't address why these companies did such a comparison in the first place, and what BBRY can do to change it. Do they provide risk-assessment that can tip the balance their way? Do they make themselves accessible and seem trustworthy so that potential customers don't feel like they are being taken to the cleaners? Is every MDM losing out or is it only BES10? Is it purely on cost and can BBRY be creative in how they can price things by volume/contract length/etc? Is there a disconnect between sales and head office that can be addressed to improve service? etc., etc.

Or... has BBRY done all that and still nothing is working to make BES 10 attractive? That would be a very sobering situation with dire implications if true.
    Since the company chose not to use a MDM solution, then this thread topic is BS. No company can compete with zero cost.
    12-08-13 04:19 PM
    Just found out the company I work for is not going to BES10.

A large financial data company.

Sad.....

Verizon Z10 10.2.1.1055
    12-08-13 06:37 PM
26 12