07-26-15 01:17 PM
32 12
tools
    Received this advertising from Bell Canada promoting the all new BlackBerry OS10 phones in the mail. I was surprise seeing it because I have not seen any BlackBerry advertising from a carrier in a long time. I took a few pictures. I must say, it is nice to see for a change.
    Bell,Canada advertising BlackBerry-img_20150716_140840.jpg
    Bell,Canada advertising BlackBerry-img_20150716_141537.jpg
    Bell,Canada advertising BlackBerry-img_20150716_141620.jpg
    Bell,Canada advertising BlackBerry-img_20150716_141709.jpg
    Bell,Canada advertising BlackBerry-img_20150716_141737.jpg

Wife Z10, daughter got my old Z10 and me with the awesome new World Z30. That's how we roll baby!
    07-16-15 01:25 PM
    Targeted marketing at business.... that is very good.
    07-16-15 01:32 PM
    Targeted marketing at business.... that is very good.
    I don't think it's targeted at or solely at business, I received one at home and the only service I have with Bell is TV. No phones
    07-16-15 01:53 PM
    I don't think it's targeted at or solely at business, I received one at home and the only service I have with Bell is TV. No phones
    I was just reading the letter that was posted, it is definitely directed towards business.

If they are just sending it to everyone that has a Bell account... Bell and BlackBerry might be wasting to marketing dollars.
    Cynycl likes this.
    07-16-15 02:14 PM
    One mysterious thing for me is why most of Canadian are not using blackberry phones.
    07-16-15 02:22 PM
    One mysterious thing for me is why most of Canadian are not using blackberry phones.
    Why? Should we be? Last I checked we were a free nation, despite being run by communists
    FF22 likes this.
    07-16-15 02:29 PM
    I was just reading the letter that was posted, it is definitely directed towards business.

If they are just sending it to everyone that has a Bell account... Bell and BlackBerry might be wasting to marketing dollars.
    Doh!

It was mixed in with mail from work. Guess I shouldn't drink at lunch when I'm supposed to be working from home.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and FF22 like this.
    07-16-15 02:31 PM
    Nothing mysterious about it, the reasons are the same as they are all around the world. The market share in Canada is still miles ahead of the global average, however - BlackBerry holds 8.9% of the market here, versus 0.3% globally.
    07-16-15 02:41 PM
    I do My part an also my Family .
    07-16-15 03:27 PM
    Ya why not support a Canadian company that employs people in Canada. I see quite a few Blackberrys here in alberta.

Posted via Special Edition Red Passport
    07-16-15 04:37 PM
    I think, one way or another, the federal government will not allow blackberry phones to actually cease to exist. Too ingrained with the IT services here in the government workforce.
    07-16-15 06:12 PM
    No Passport love
    nolimits7 likes this.
    07-16-15 08:15 PM
    Nothing mysterious about it, the reasons are the same as they are all around the world. The market share in Canada is still miles ahead of the global average, however - BlackBerry holds 8.9% of the market here, versus 0.3% globally.
    Much of the 8.9 % is in or around Toronto. The remainder around Calgary and Vancouver. This is where the most legacy enterprise devices were employed. You still see BlackBerries in the federal civil service and some in the provincial public sector. It is quite rare to see a BlackBerry at public events. Of course the 9% is dropping as we speak.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 11:42 PM
    No Passport love
    Yeah, kinda weird that all we see are the Leap and Classic, but not the king of the hill Passport. I wonder if there is some incentive coming from the BlackBerry for that advertisement. In any case, I am glad that at least one of the Canadian carriers starts to spread the word.
    07-16-15 11:52 PM
    Interesting.
    07-17-15 12:36 AM
    From what I have seen Bell has few or no working BlackBerry's to test in their stores.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-15 01:35 AM
    Out of all of the Canadian carriers, Bell seem to be the only ones to do any marketing regarding BlackBerry devices in any capacity. I've seen some online advertising for the Passport, Classic, and Leap, in addition to being mentioned in some mail marketing that gets sent out from time to time.

Both of the local Bell stores here also have BlackBerry devices on display and available for demo, whereas both Rogers and Telus only have the plastic dummy models and even then they aren't displaying the complete lineup.

I've also noticed that plenty of salespeople are quick to dismiss BlackBerry even if you are specifically asking for one, they're quick to point you to Samsung or Apple devices instead...
    07-17-15 02:31 AM
    Yeah, kinda weird that all we see are the Leap and Classic, but not the king of the hill Passport. I wonder if there is some incentive coming from the BlackBerry for that advertisement. In any case, I am glad that at least one of the Canadian carriers starts to spread the word.
    I see many Passports in KW area not to hard to miss if being used ,
    07-17-15 06:13 AM
    Much of the 8.9 % is in or around Toronto. The remainder around Calgary and Vancouver. This is where the most legacy enterprise devices were employed. You still see BlackBerries in the federal civil service and some in the provincial public sector. It is quite rare to see a BlackBerry at public events. Of course the 9% is dropping as we speak.

Posted via CB10
    Indeed it is. It was actually 14 or 15 percent last year, so 8.9 is a significant drop already. Won't be surprised to see it below 5 percent next year.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-15 08:39 AM
    I live in a small town in eastern Ontario and I see lots of Blackberrys at my work (in a restaurant). I know several regulars who have Passports too. Haven't seen a red one yet though. There are still far more iPhones and Androids, but a comparatively large number of BBs.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-15 12:36 PM
    I see many Passports in KW area not to hard to miss if being used ,
    I was referring to not seeing Passports in the advertising in OP.

Posted with my awesome Z30
    07-17-15 12:46 PM
    Much of the 8.9 % is in or around Toronto. The remainder around Calgary and Vancouver.
    got a source for that?
    07-19-15 08:25 AM
    got a source for that?

You well know that Toronto is the major business centre in Canada. A stroll in the Pearson airport is like a trip back in time.

Calgary is also a business hub.

You can run a search on Google Trends to see that in some places interest in Blackberry is moderate and other places very weak. The popularity of BlackBerry in the GTA is driven through business buying and entropy.

Still, the numbers are quickly dropping.

PKB phones are not popular and the tide has turned even in Toronto. It will be interesting to see if the Leap catches on with business buyers vs the Classic.

A relative of mine works in Toronto for a large company that uses BlackBerry. The phone most requested was the Z30.

Anyway, just in terms of population and head office concentration it is no surprise that BlackBerry is still relevant in places like Toronto and Calgary.

Where I live hardly anyone owns a BlackBerry.
    http://www.financialpost.com/m/wp/bl...-sales-toronto

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Infog...-alive_id57021

If you have better information even anecdotal please share.
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 07-19-15 at 10:06 AM.
    07-19-15 09:28 AM
    If you have better information even anecdotal please share.
    Posted via CB10
    I don't, but I was the one asking you. :-)

"Because I live here and I don't see anyone with one, most of the rest of Canada must be that way" is not really the way to empirical evidence so why pass it off like it is?

It's not like you were personally looking through the records from BlackBerry's NOC or reviewing the pipeline of their Canadian salesforce to come to the conclusion. You were guessing. And passing off your personal speculation as though it was a fact. You're above that.
    07-19-15 11:31 AM
    No I was not guessing. Sometimes facts are pretty self evident or you can make inferences. Regardless, I had remembered the source. I seem to recall you accusing me of speculating about the impending demise of the Playbook back in the day.

It is true for example that where I live Bell does little to promote BlackBerry where as Telus does. In Ontario perhaps that will be reversed. I will be in Ontario soon. As always I am looking to spot Blackberries in the wild.

I think you might agree that the positive stories here on CB -Canada are mainly isolated to the GTA. That is not a speculation merely an observation. Going by the Ontario market some might assume that BlackBerry is in a better situation than they are.

Google Trends is one way to determine brand strength is a particular market. It is interesting to follow changes over time. Maybe not empirical evidence but a strong indicator nonetheless.

Anyway almost every post here on CB is a guess to a greater or lesser degree. I am not sure why you would be concerned with the suggestion that the GTA followed by Calgary and Vancouver would be the strongest Canadian markets for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 07-19-15 at 12:47 PM.
    07-19-15 11:53 AM
32 12