I'm not too sure where I should have posted this so feel free if it needs to be moved

BlackBerry's Biggest Shareholder May Buy Wind Mobile - Techvibes.com

Fairfax Financial Holdings, which last year doubled its stake in BlackBerry to become the Waterloo company's biggest shareholder, is contemplating bidding for Wind Mobile, which went up for sale last week.

Fongo has also made a bid for Canada's largest startup discount wireless carrier, although it was more of a publicity stunt than actual offer. Wind's founder, Anthony Lacavera, is also expected to bid.

Lacavera left Wind earlier this year and transferred ownership to VimpelCom. In order to afford the company, Lacavera would partner with Accelero Capital, which is owned by Egyptian billionaire Naguib Sawiris, who in 2011 famously said that Canada has "the most inefficient operators in the world" and completely regretted his decision to do business in Canada's wireless market.

Fairfax has not submitted a forma bid, but sources informed The Globe and Mail that the investment firm, owned by Prem Watsa, is "engaged in early-stage talks and is contemplating making an offer for the Toronto-based carrier, potentially as part of a consortium or in partnership with another player."
    03-30-13 08:10 AM
    It would be good if someone could make Wind really go somewhere.
    We need more than the faux competition going on now.

Posted via CB10
    Acumenight likes this.
    03-30-13 08:54 AM
    Wasn't Rogers making an offer to buy Wind? Or the original owners? I heard something about it on CBCRadio
    03-30-13 08:55 AM
    I'm not sure if the government will allow the big carriers to make a bid for wind.

They want options for Canadians and having Rogers own Wind will not help.

It might happen as a last resort though.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 09:02 AM
    Wasn't Rogers making an offer to buy Wind? Or the original owners? I heard something about it on CBCRadio
    The Incumbents can't make an offer on any of the new entrants until the latter half of next year as per rules that were part of the AWS auction agreement. I'm intrigued by Fairfax's interest, they must see at least some value in WIND which gives me hope for the future of competition in Canadian telcom. Not too sure that Lacavera and Sawiris would be good, they're pretty much responsible for the mess that WIND finds themselves in now. As to Fongo, well, the less said about that offer the better
    03-30-13 09:41 AM
    Wind was great before the came out.
    They were great when the first came out.
    They are still great to a lot of people.
    But just like most competitive business, you are only so great for so long.
    There is a lot of hate for Wind that is building because of poor service. Bad reception, bad customer service, billing issues, etc.
    So their customer base hasn't really taken off from there.
    03-30-13 10:13 AM
    Wind was great before the came out.
    They were great when the first came out.
    They are still great to a lot of people.
    But just like most competitive business, you are only so great for so long.
    There is a lot of hate for Wind that is building because of poor service. Bad reception, bad customer service, billing issues, etc.
    So their customer base hasn't really taken off from there.
    I was with WIND for 3 years before I made the recent jump to Telus and I can honestly say that I didn't have any of those issues. Neither did any of the 24 people I introduced to WIND during my time there. I would never suggest that they provided perfect service, far from it, but I don't think it was remotely as bad as it was painted on sites such as Howard Forums or Mobile Syrup. In fact, it was probably WIND's own attempt at keeping the "conversation" going with their own customer forum that made things seem much worse than they were. There's an old adage in retail that says "A satisfied customer will tell 2 people, a dissatisfied one will tell 8." Giving people an opportunity for grievance just fosters more anger and grievance and also encourages that faction of the interwebs that have a hate on for a certain subject, just because. Look what happens here when someone who's an over zealous fanboi or grl of XYZ Company goes out of their way to prove that it's better than BlackBerry. If you check WIND's BBB rating it's actually pretty good, sitting at A-. There are some other carriers who could learn a thing or two from them.

Anyhow, my own personal experience with WIND was far more positive than I had with any other carrier, I just saw the writing on the wall and felt I needed to be somewhere a lot more stable.
    03-30-13 10:51 AM
    Mmm... Let see....Level 3 + Frontier Communications + Blackberry+ now bid for Wind......maybe their could be some future synergies here
    03-30-13 10:59 AM
    Wind is an absolutely fine carrier for customers.

they offer incredible value to the customer.

you can't complain about reception when you know that their coverage is not up to the big 3. However, the prices and plans offered are great. Where can you get a all-in voice/data package for $25+tax? a plan like that on the big 3 carriers will cost you at leasts DOUBLE that.

Wind is a good carrier, as long as the customer understands what benefits they offer vs the competition. For example, someone who tends to stay in the city core majority of the time will like Wind's service. Someone who travels outside the city core often will say it sucks because they can't get reception.

honestly, for $25/month. it's incredible value for the customer.

What really killed Wind, I believe was not having the iPhone. That reason alone was enough for people who were on Wind to leave and goto the competition. Right now though, they need some cash injection to upgrade their network to LTE, otherwise they will continue to bleed. They can't compete with the big boys if they don't have the backbone.
    Papsilog likes this.
    03-30-13 12:02 PM
    Well I hope they don't. Ive seen on Blackberry's FB page WIND Mobile employees putting down the z10.
    03-30-13 12:06 PM
    Mmm... Let see....Level 3 + Frontier Communications + Blackberry+ now bid for Wind......maybe their could be some future synergies here
    It's odd that you should mention that, I jokingly thought to myself earlier what it would be like with an all BlackBerry network! LOL!
    03-30-13 04:10 PM
    Well I'm a new WIND costumer and I'm happy with it. A little slow downloading things but not aweful, I'm happy with it. 40 bucks for unlimited everything is awesome
    03-31-13 12:10 AM
    Been with Wind for 4 years and love it. Never really had an issue. I believe they started going downhill more recently because they exported their customer service.

But I think overall they are great. I wouldn't mind horribly if BlackBerry bought them out and had their own network either.

Would be interesting to see BlackBerry run it's own network, with only BB devices running on it, with all the BB services running through their infrastructure.

The fees could also much lower if you bought a BlackBerry or could upgrade them annually or every 2 years as long as you kept the contract going.

By subsidizing their own devices, and charging people monthly fees, it could all become service revenue. And they already have exclusives like BBM and such.

Make it so you CAN Bring your own device, and you get BBM on your Android or iphone only on blackberry network, but they have to pay for them, or they can get a cheaper blackberry.

Run it only in Canada, and you're golden with the goverment.

Posted via TimeMachine
    03-31-13 12:44 AM
    you can't complain about reception when you know that their coverage is not up to the big 3. However, the prices and plans offered are great. Where can you get a all-in voice/data package for $25+tax? a plan like that on the big 3 carriers will cost you at leasts DOUBLE that.
    Their so-called HSPA+ speed is like one quarter of my old Virgin Mobile HSPA+ speed, they don't have LTE, and the $30 plan I was on was only for the first year and is now $45.

Admittedly, the business line I use with Wind doesn't get much use, so I'm switching it over to Speak Out (I don't need a data plan on that line) but what I don't understand is: if my first year plan at $30 was profitable, why shoo me away by raising the price by 50 percent in year 2? If it wasn't profitable, then I guess being in the cell carrier business is just pointless.
    04-01-13 09:51 AM