Pini admits that such partnerships are not likely to occur with Androids biggest names, who have already developed their own in-house security and productivity offerings. The company is instead targeting what he deems second- and third-tier handset makers.
    https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/29/bl...source=twitter

Doogee? Blu? Someone using Mediatek processors?

How low-end do you think these phones will go?
    09-30-16 02:11 PM
    As they will be licensed be region... I expect that Indonesia and India (if they become one) partners are looking at pretty low end devcies. I read an article a while back that the average price in India a around $130 for a smartphone, would not be surprised if that were not a target price point. Don't think they'll go as low as at $50 phone, but do expect they'll be below what most of us in North America would consider a good phone. I think the Z3 and it's $250 price tag was a clear signal of what won't sell in that market... unless it's a better received Brand and device.
    09-30-16 02:44 PM
    I would be shocked if BlackBerry branded devices in North America would be ultra low end. I think the TCL reference devices are basically what we're looking at going forward in North America.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-30-16 02:49 PM
    I would be shocked if BlackBerry branded devices in North America would be ultra low end. I think the TCL reference devices are basically what we're looking at going forward in North America.

Except... they don't sell (or at least the DTEK50 didn't seem to sell).

So why would someone else try the same and expect any different results?

When a brand gets as tarnished as Blackberry, the only way is down.

I mean think about it -

• A maker with a successful software and hardware platform (BBOS) - (The Big man around town)
    • A maker with an unsuccessful software and hardware platform (BB10) - (I've still got it)
    • A maker that licenses the software and builds its own hardware (Android) - (Please google, you've got to help me)
    • A maker that licenses the software and buys off the shelf reference designs (Android/TCL) - (Make it look like a good phone but make it cheap!)
    • A company that tries to get people to take a punt on its failed brand (now) - (You soon get used to the taste of paint-stripper when times are hard).
    JeepBB and TGR1 like this.
    09-30-16 02:58 PM
    Except... they don't sell (or at least the DTEK50 didn't seem to sell).

So why would someone else try the same and expect any different results?

When a brand gets as tarnished as Blackberry, the only way is down.

I mean think about it -

• A maker with a successful software and hardware platform (BBOS) - (The Big man around town)
    • A maker with an unsuccessful software and hardware platform (BB10) - (I've still got it)
    • A maker that licenses the software and builds its own hardware (Android) - (Please google, you've got to help me)
    • A maker that licenses the software and buys off the shelf reference designs (Android/TCL) - (Make it look like a good phone but make it cheap!)
    • A company that tries to get people to take a punt on its failed brand (now) - (You soon get used to the taste of paint-stripper when times are hard).
    So based on your logic no one anywhere will sell blackberry devices in north america. Ya sorry I don't buy that, and I don't buy BlackBerry allowing there name to go on junk devices in NA where there security software brand is in the middle of a revitalization.

09-30-16 03:39 PM
    So based on your logic no one anywhere will sell blackberry devices in north america. Ya sorry I don't buy that, and I don't buy BlackBerry allowing there name to go on junk devices in NA where there security software brand is in the middle of a revitalization.

I wouldn't completely rule it out but I'm doubtful anyone will pay for a license for north america - so that problem will solve itself. At the end there they were selling 400,000 units across multiple territories - spilt between BBOS, BB10 and Android - so with the best will in the world, the North America sales were likely in the tens of thousands if that (BBRY themselves say Indonesia was still one of their more popular markets so that decreases the amounts of sales for other places).

What is the advantage for one of these low-end producers to license a name which doesn't sell?

As for the security aspect, Chen is cool with doogee or Wilyfox or whoever licenses it to not include that stuff.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-30-16 03:50 PM
    I wouldn't completely rule it out but I'm doubtful anyone will pay for a license for north america
    Donnation is buying a licence for North America. He's a billionaire doing it for the lols, so it doesn't matter if it's profitable.

It must be true, I read it here on the forums... or maybe I wrote it... can't remember.
    09-30-16 04:41 PM
    Many are forgetting one major point of these Chinese manufacturers is that many even Alcatel have less brand equity in North America than BlackBerry.

For example, a company who manufactures devices wanted to enter North America but were unheard of here, they could license BlackBerry software and name. Now, there is two points you must consider.

1) BlackBerry has more brand equity, they could in theory sell more devices than selling as brand X. Yes, I am aware of current sale numbers, but BlackBerry didn't have the marketing dollars.

2) I would assume that BlackBerry would be responsible under the license to provide software updates for X number of years. Software updates are a major issue for many manufacturers.

So we have a situation where the manufacturer only has to worry about building and selling. Software would be handled by BlackBerry. If they are entering a new market, BlackBerry may be a better brand for them. No matter how tarnished people still know the BlackBerry brand better than brand X.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-16 08:03 PM
    I think BlackBerry may license off parts as well. For example, LG phone with BlackBerry keyboard or something like that. The keyboard it self might be licensed.

Posted via CB10 on my PP
    10-02-16 10:26 AM
    The low end market, at least for North America, is more than likely referring to the phones you can get at various retailers like Wal Mart, Target, 7-11, or anyone else that sells cheap pre-paid phones. Even then, many of those are backed by the larger networks already anyway. I really can't see any of those paying a premium price for Blackberry's software for cheap $50 - $100 disposable phones being sold to a specific market. Even then, you can already buy cheap Samsung, LG, Motorola, etc. phones in the cheap pre-paid section and that name recognition is probably going to be better than seeing something with Blackberry on it. You can even still get a physical QWERTY keyboard on a number of these existing cheap phones, so that wouldn't be anything new or novel to add either. Another words, anyone buying one of those phones is doing so due to their financial situation and probably couldn't care less whose name is on the phone.

I'd say the international market would be a more likely target as they tend to have more cell use than we do in North America and it's generally significantly cheaper (hardware and service). I was planning a trip to India and I could get an all inclusive unlimited phone plan there for the equivalent of $13 U.S. That same thing here would cost you close to $100 a month (or thereabouts). Standard phones are also still reasonably popular there, but I'm sure the smart phone market is increasing if the prices are right. I talk to a number of people in Thailand, India, China, etc. and most of them seem to indicate "normal" phones (flip phones, older Nokia style, etc.) are pretty much the norm.

Oh well...
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    10-02-16 11:54 AM
    One of the more perplexing things for me is what has happened with the DTEK50.

I understand some of the reasons why the Priv didn't sell well, one of the biggest factors being cost.

The question I have is why did BlackBerry go ahead with the DTEK50 UNLESS they had some solid support or purchase commitments from some of their corporate clients?

The consumer market for BlackBerry is a very small fraction so I suspected that the corporate crowd was looking for a lower cost secured Android. It seems odd to me that they would move to this TCL re branded model unless there was strong evidence to show that it was going to be moderately successful.

In any event I hope subsequent BlackBerry devices sell well and things go ok.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-16 02:55 PM

I understand some of the reasons why the Priv didn't sell well, one of the biggest factors being cost.

The question I have is why did BlackBerry go ahead with the DTEK50 UNLESS they had some solid support or purchase commitments from some of their corporate clients?

The consumer market for BlackBerry is a very small fraction so I suspected that the corporate crowd was looking for a lower cost secured Android. It seems odd to me that they would move to this TCL re branded model unless there was strong evidence to show that it was going to be moderately successful.

In any event I hope subsequent BlackBerry devices sell well and things go ok.

Posted via CB10
    Just a guess is i think they wanted that phone to handle large corporate orders in the coming years or two.

Also I would suspect it was a test run for potential outsourcing of their phones, which clearly in there minds if we believe this theory was a success.

10-03-16 05:37 PM

I'm not sure you could call it "solid support" much less purchase commitments. Rather, BB pushed a lot of their customers hard to adopt the Priv, and the #1 reason they cited when they refused the offer was that the Priv was too expensive, and that they were looking at phones in the $400 (US) range, and not the $800 range.

Now, this may have been true for BB's customers, but most of us know that the vast majority of big enterprises (that still buy phones for their workers) are buying iPhones and Galaxy S's, which are $650+ each - and they seem to have no problem paying that money for those phones. So, despite what BB heard, I suspect those enterprises were saying "we don't value BB enough to spend $800 on your phone (the Priv)."

Unfortunately, that doesn't mean that those same enterprises are willing to spend $300 on a $200 phone (the price of the Idol 4).

The thing is, if you aren't a top-tier provider (Samsung, LG, HTC, Sony, Moto), then you probably aren't going to be able to buy QualComm's latest top-of-the-line SoCs for the first 6 months or so of their release. It's not a matter of money so much as that those companies can order enough to consume QualComm's entire output for half the year, and they do so reliably, thus earning their spot at the top. 2nd and 3rd-tier manufacturers have to make due with last-years SoC or they have to buy a competing brand (Nvidia, Intel, MediaTek, etc.) which are generally less desirable. The net result is that those other companies simply cannot compete - hardware wise - with the flagships of the 1st-tier companies. And those are the devices that most enterprises buy.

Note that Android or not doesn't make a lot of difference - enterprise wasn't buying BB10 phones either, and they still had the same problem: lagging behind in specs for the same reason above (not to mention the additional cost of QNX drivers).
    10-05-16 07:54 PM
    Many are forgetting one major point of these Chinese manufacturers is that many even Alcatel have less brand equity in North America than BlackBerry.

For example, a company who manufactures devices wanted to enter North America but were unheard of here, they could license BlackBerry software and name. Now, there is two points you must consider.

1) BlackBerry has more brand equity, they could in theory sell more devices than selling as brand X. Yes, I am aware of current sale numbers, but BlackBerry didn't have the marketing dollars.

2) I would assume that BlackBerry would be responsible under the license to provide software updates for X number of years. Software updates are a major issue for many manufacturers.

So we have a situation where the manufacturer only has to worry about building and selling. Software would be handled by BlackBerry. If they are entering a new market, BlackBerry may be a better brand for them. No matter how tarnished people still know the BlackBerry brand better than brand X.

Posted via CB10
    Yet in Canada Alcatel non working dummy phones for $ 299 are in all the stores. The DTEK 50 not so much. At the bottom end, a low price is everything. Instead of the PRIV, BlackBerry should have just made a mid spec Mercury PKB.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-16 02:35 AM