05-11-14 01:22 PM
31 12
tools
    All I ever see on crackberry is negative news or disgruntled users professing to anyone poor soul who happens to stumble into a thread how BlackBerry is either dying/dead or exiting the consumer market. But nothing is done.
    Yet here we have an article which even if you didnt want see it as positive news, it still categorically states that BlackBerry is not leaving the consumer market and will be staying in carrier stores and said by the President of Global Enterprise Solutions, which disproves so much BlackBerry hate, Ive already seen it reported on other sites, but the front page at CrackBerry is filled with screen protectors and covers which are clearly much more important....awesome.

"BlackBerry Ltd. may be shifting its focus to business and government customers, but it is still crucial that its phones remain visible in retail outlets, says the head of the companys enterprise division.
    John Sims, Blackberrys president of global enterprise solutions, said Monday that products need to be widely sold in cellular companies stores, and consequently its relationships with the wireless carries who sell handsets are important. While Blackberrys strategy is grounded in enterprises, and chief information officers who make decisions on technology dont go to the local store, Mr. Sims said, it is still important for us to be present in those environments because their employees go to those stores and they see the devices.
    Workers may get their smartphones from their company, but they are going to be a lot more comfortable with the device ... if they saw it in a store, he said."

The Globe and Mail
    Published Thursday, May. 08 2014, 1:24 PM EDT

And here's the link for anyone who wants to read the rest of the article
    BlackBerry targets business clients through their employees - The Globe and Mail
    05-08-14 02:21 PM
    I'm looking at the front page fight now and it's far from negative. Lots of news about 10.3 and even saying wind mere will be interesting. This whole BlackBerry victims complex is getting really old quick.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor and anon1727506 like this.
    05-08-14 02:53 PM
    You are telling us here thanks for the heads up Missy
    BB_Junky and ronfc like this.
    05-08-14 02:59 PM
    To a great degree, BB has left the mature-market consumer market already, and it wasn't necessarily by choice. BB can want whatever it wants, but given that it relies on hundreds of business partners to succeed, if those partners have lost faith in BB, then they won't work to sell BB devices, and then, whether BB "officially" leaves the market or not, they'll be out.

That's why this article isn't taken all that seriously: it's obviously spin, and it's exactly what you would expect any exec to say when they are in a similar position as BB is in right now, but it's equally meaningless, because other than confirming that they aren't "giving up", it doesn't change the reality they have with their business partners.

BB "left" the consumer market when it stopped marketing BB phones, which was around July 2013. They've been riding on their inertia ever since (the wheels of business turn pretty slowly, and there's a long tail, with long-term contracts and the like), but until they start marketing in a real, substantial way, they are effectively out of the consumer market (in mature markets).
    CyberMan2013, NYC10065 and JeepBB like this.
    05-08-14 03:03 PM
    Mr. Sims said, it is still “important for us to be present in those environments because their employees go to those stores and they see the devices.”

Intentions do not always equal results. What a CIO for BlackBerry says... and what the CEO for T-Mobile (and others) are saying are two different things.

BlackBerry is going to sell devices anywhere and to anyone they can. They aren't going to suddenly announce - "you can't buy this" (at least as long as they make devices they won't). But their focus in developed markets is Enterprise, in developing markets it will be consumers with either BBOS devices or hopefully the Z3.
    05-08-14 03:07 PM
    Thanks for the info, OP. And for contributing to our site.

Posted from my awesome Q10 via CB10.
    05-08-14 03:25 PM
    Well then you must agree that happy screen protectors are important. I guess if I used Blackberry devices for maybe 3-4 years I would not be disgruntled. If the OP of this thread can just simply explain to me how this company was trading at $160 a share in 2008 and now is trading at approximately $10 a share that is positive and/or good business practices. This may make good business sense to those who got business degrees online or from non accredited schools but in the real world this is a failure. So you will have to excuse me if I question everything this company does.
    neoberry99 and milo53 like this.
    05-08-14 04:53 PM
    Some of the comments on this thread are typical of exactly what what I mention in the OP. I won't address anyone individually, but if it makes anyone feel any better I have had various BlackBerry devices, for more then 3-4 years. I have nothing to prove to anyone nor do I need to, this is also to clear things up for any future comments.

To those who appreciate the post for what it is, I appreciate the comments and feedback, I will concede that Clewley's 10.3 updates have been featuring, although in fairness I do think BlackBerry are trying to spread the 10.3 update info as far and wide as possible but they certainly are very positive and getting a good response in general, so you did get me there.
    For those that can't appreciate it for what it is, I just don't get it, it happens in thread after thread, if it's gonna make you angry or super defensive, or annoyed or you just absolutely hate it, why comment.
    And note theres a vast vast difference between sharing a constructive insightful opinion, everyone is entitled to an opinion, and "discreetly" antagonising people because you can.
    Think before you post!

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    05-08-14 05:34 PM
    I am with you OP. And this is a fan site according to Kevin, is it not?Then should they not be reporting it? Especially if it is spin?

Lot of people have complained that the site does not feel like a fan site. Kevin did write an article about it.

I don't see this as a victim complex. We come here because we love our BlackBerry and want to talk about it etc. At least I do. We are NOT stupid we know what went wrong with BlackBerry. We just prefer to see the glass half full and cheer on our chosen home team, not dump on them every chance we get as the usual suspects do.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 05:40 PM
    To a great degree, BB has left the mature-market consumer market already, and it wasn't necessarily by choice. BB can want whatever it wants, but given that it relies on hundreds of business partners to succeed, if those partners have lost faith in BB, then they won't work to sell BB devices, and then, whether BB "officially" leaves the market or not, they'll be out.

That's why this article isn't taken all that seriously: it's obviously spin, and it's exactly what you would expect any exec to say when they are in a similar position as BB is in right now, but it's equally meaningless, because other than confirming that they aren't "giving up", it doesn't change the reality they have with their business partners.

BB "left" the consumer market when it stopped marketing BB phones, which was around July 2013. They've been riding on their inertia ever since (the wheels of business turn pretty slowly, and there's a long tail, with long-term contracts and the like), but until they start marketing in a real, substantial way, they are effectively out of the consumer market (in mature markets).
    Have you looked at all at BlackBerry in Africa, you might be pleasantly surprised
    And that is before the Z3 launching, mind you.
    I say this, because if "mature markets" were the sole defining factor, BlackBerry would have sunk a long time ago but there are still places in the world that BlackBerry is highly popular and although they are not what some would consider to be the most important, that doesn't mean that they can simply be over looked.
    And I would only really be guessing at this, but I would definitely think there is a whole lot of marketing going on in Indonesia.
    A fair number of people had to have a substantial awareness of the device for the pre orders to sell out so quickly , I do realise that we have no idea how many devices there were to begin with etc etc etc

Last edited by MiSsY_; 05-08-14 at 06:06 PM.
    05-08-14 05:53 PM
    We all understand that Africa and Asia-Pacific are big consumer markets for BB where they still have some significant presence, and that's exactly the point: BB is focusing there because it makes sense to focus there. It also makes sense to focus on the regulated enterprise markets in North America and Europe. These are currently BB's strengths, and they are doing what they can to exploit them. That's smart - well, it's kind of their ONLY real choice, but at least they are smart enough to know it.

But that's not what this post is about - it's about the consumer market in North America and Europe. In those markets, carrier and retailer support is evaporating quickly, and no statement from BB about their intentions is going to make people forget that. Sure, a senior exec is saying what he needs to say, but no one who knows what's going on actually believes it, or was really expected to. It might make a few delusional fan boys feel better for a few minutes, but the truth is the truth.

The good news is that as long as BB is able to do okay in Africa, Asia, and in enterprises, there will still be BB phones for NA/EU consumers to buy, as long as they're willing to buy outright and order direct online. That's the spin that Sims was spinning. But it's delusional to expect the retail/carrier situation to change substantially for the better anytime soon - the current trajectory is still downward, and it's going to take focus, money, and luck from BB to change that trajectory, and they've openly admitted that they aren't focusing on that market right now. It's not difficult to comprehend what that means, or what to expect.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-08-14 06:10 PM
    We all understand that Africa and Asia-Pacific are big consumer markets for BB where they still have some significant presence, and that's exactly the point: BB is focusing there because it makes sense to focus there. It also makes sense to focus on the regulated enterprise markets in North America and Europe. These are currently BB's strengths, and they are doing what they can to exploit them. That's smart - well, it's kind of their ONLY real choice, but at least they are smart enough to know it.

But that's not what this post is about - it's about the consumer market in North America and Europe. In those markets, carrier and retailer support is evaporating quickly, and no statement from BB about their intentions is going to make people forget that. Sure, a senior exec is saying what he needs to say, but no one who knows what's going on actually believes it, or was really expected to. It might make a few delusional fan boys feel better for a few minutes, but the truth is the truth.

The good news is that as long as BB is able to do okay in Africa, Asia, and in enterprises, there will still be BB phones for NA/EU consumers to buy, as long as they're willing to buy outright and order direct online. That's the spin that Sims was spinning. But it's delusional to expect the retail/carrier situation to change substantially for the better anytime soon - the current trajectory is still downward, and it's going to take focus, money, and luck from BB to change that trajectory, and they've openly admitted that they aren't focusing on that market right now. It's not difficult to comprehend what that means, or what to expect.
    No the tour was in North America and Europe, as most are, there was no mention of that information being specific to those regions.
    Your last paragraph is basically contradicting the whole article.
    The rest of your post I'm not going to bother commenting on, you may disagree, but you don't have to be rude nor parade your opinion as fact

spyeagle likes this.
    05-08-14 07:20 PM
    Come on people debate the topic not the community members! All are welcome at CB as long as they follow our community rules and guidelines!
    05-08-14 07:25 PM
    I can certainly understand why you would post on CB if you were a dual platform user (including BB). You are on Android which is fine but why only 20 posts out of nearly 1100 global are on Android?
    It really should be a policy here to attack the post content, not the poster. Do you disagree with his analysis/comments? Would really improve S/N here.

FWIW, OP, I think you misinterpreted what Mr. Sims said. You commented that " it still categorically states that BlackBerry is not leaving the consumer market and will be staying in carrier stores". I disagree as the two bolded sections do not necessarily mean the same thing.

From the article: "John Sims, Blackberrys president of global enterprise solutions, said Monday that products need to be widely sold in cellular companies stores, and consequently its relationships with the wireless carries who sell handsets are important. While Blackberrys strategy is grounded in enterprises, and chief information officers who make decisions on technology dont go to the local store, Mr. Sims said, it is still important for us to be present in those environments because their employees go to those stores and they see the devices.
    Workers may get their smartphones from their company, but they are going to be a lot more comfortable with the device ... if they saw it in a store, he said." "

To me, it says that BBRY will use the carrier stores to support their enterprise customers and while non-enterprise customers are welcome to come in and buy as well, it does not mean that BBRY will choose to provide the feature sets they may favor. IOW, the non-enterprise customer will have to take what is available to enterprise. The wording was very careful. It may well be that the phones will be satisfactory to many customers regardless; it may not. In any case, it means that while not actually leaving the consumer market, serving non-enterprise is not much of a priority for them at this time.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-08-14 08:25 PM
    I don't completely understand what Sims is saying. He says it is crucial that end users can experience BB devices in retail stores, because that is necessary to support enterprise sales.

OK, that makes sense, but that's not up to BlackBerry. It's up to the carriers and other retailers to make their own floor space decisions. So did Sims talk about what BB will do differently, going forward, to encourage retailers to actually have phones on display?

In other words, what BB does now isn't keeping their phones on display in many places. So what is BB going to do to change that?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    allengeorge and JeepBB like this.
    05-08-14 08:34 PM
    Where did people hear that blackberry was leaving in the first place?
    05-08-14 08:36 PM
    Where did people hear that blackberry was leaving in the first place?
    Depends on what you mean by "leave". I don't think many are expecting that BB will put up a sign saying "consumers can no longer buy our products, sorry".

But in large developed markets, it certainly feels as if BB has effectively abandoned the consumer segment with no significant marketing and no new consumer oriented devices in these large markets.

Now is Sims saying that will change?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-08-14 08:51 PM
    This is not going anywhere else.
    Op is just letting us know what's going on with BlackBerry and somebody contradicts it. I just don't get it.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 09:07 PM
    very interesting
    05-08-14 10:26 PM
    A companies harshest critic is it's customer, whether consumer, reseller or enterprise. I have to confess when I first came to CrackBerry it was full of negatives regarding BlackBerry devices and the company and I actually started to question my OWN sanity for even purchasing a BlackBerry 10 device.
    We have to think, all this negativity is over BlackBerry 'consumer' share which lets be honest the phones do not get wide spread marketing like the billions spent by Apple or Microsoft etc.

In phone stores it's all about the sale of the contract more so than the phone so as a phone store rep I would love to sell that 45pm contract with a spanking new iPhone 5S than I would sell that 15pm contract with a BlackBerry Z10 or 25 for a Z30.

It wasn't long ago that BlackBerry really entered the pre pay phone world but the fact remains if BlackBerry truly want to sell those devices they would spend millions on the marketing and yes they do have a cash flow they just don't have the market share in the consumer market they once did but that's obvious really.

I do question though BlackBerry statement because a phone sat in a shop is a lot different to a phone sold. No revenue is going to be made if it's just sat on the display.
    05-08-14 10:49 PM
    Great news!! Go BlackBerry Go!

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 10:59 PM
    There's nothing really new to be said there. It's the same thing they've been saying since 2012.

Reality Check: RIM is not giving up on the consumer market | CrackBerry.com
    Message from BlackBerry CEO John Chen: We are committed to reclaiming our success | CrackBerry.com
    BlackBerry CEO John Chen has been busy at CES 2014 | CrackBerry.com
    RIM Remains Committed to the Consumer Market | Inside BlackBerry

Same story, different person saying it. In fact, a lot of the same verbiage is used. Given Sims was hired by Chen, that's of little surprise. I'm sure they've got all their ducks in a row on what to say together.

As a BlackBerry user and having been essentially, a part of the community since 2007, the comments are great to hear but on the other side of the coin.. BlackBerry hasn't done much to show that outside of the comments. Their whole focus has been on Enterprise since Chen's arrival.

They've cancelled a lot of consumer focused events and replaced them with smaller BES focused events, the marketing has moved away from consumers and what marketing does remain is all Enterprise focused. The emphasis is on BES in Enterprise and the next BIG things are BES12 and BES Cloud, even BBM has gone Enterprise.

I don't believe they've given up on the consumer market entirely but there's no denying that over the next little while they'll be leveraging more of the Enterprise than the consumer market, and that is what's causing confusion. Of course, that's what's also going to get them healthy again so they can compete in the consumer market like they want.
    05-08-14 11:55 PM
    Have you looked at all at BlackBerry in Africa, you might be pleasantly surprised
    And that is before the Z3 launching, mind you.
    I say this, because if "mature markets" were the sole defining factor, BlackBerry would have sunk a long time ago but there are still places in the world that BlackBerry is highly popular and although they are not what some would consider to be the most important, that doesn't mean that they can simply be over looked.
    And I would only really be guessing at this, but I would definitely think there is a whole lot of marketing going on in Indonesia.
    A fair number of people had to have a substantial awareness of the device for the pre orders to sell out so quickly , I do realise that we have no idea how many devices there were to begin with etc etc etc

no there are not...i lived in indonesia, Jakarta

the ads only available on Z3 first day of pre order, there are no buzz, and there are miss information Z3 is not sold out, it still available in several store like erafone and okeshop two largest retail store in indonesia
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-09-14 12:15 AM
    no there are not...i lived in indonesia, Jakarta

the ads only available on Z3 first day of pre order, there are no buzz, and there are miss information Z3 is not sold out, it still available in several store like erafone and okeshop two largest retail store in indonesia
    Well thanks for clarifying that, like I said I couldn't be certain on that, it was just my assumption. Are no longer in Indonesia then?

So you are saying that the carriers that offered pre order for the Z3 didn't sell out?

@Bla1ze I hear you, but at the same time, I'm hearing people still constantly saying, "don't bother with BlackBerry it's dead or BlackBerry is not selling to consumers anymore " or about the apps.
    Bearing that in mind, it's nice to be able to the show people who insist on saying that, something to consider. I don't think sharing this kind of thing would do any harm.
    I think and again I could be wrong here, but BlackBerry's original and best form of marketing was from enterprise customers/ business users, who loved their devices, indirect but effective, word of mouth built the brand for consumers. I don't think BlackBerry ever really targeted non-enterprise consumers, but once they all started pitching up in droves, BlackBerry did try accommodate them too, and for a while they really did. Word of mouth is still one of the very best ways to get things around.
    I could understand their moving the approach back to that model. I don't say that there's not a lot of work to do, we all know that there really is.

Last edited by MiSsY_; 05-09-14 at 02:19 AM.
    05-09-14 01:48 AM
    Well thanks for clarifying that, like I said I couldn't be certain on that, it was just my assumption.

So you are saying that the carriers that offered pre order for the Z3 didn't sell out?

it still available in several large phone retailer...sell out only for limited number Z3 phone with huge discount, for normal price or small discount Z3 it still available for pre order

fyi : carrier only involve with promotion, they are not the one selling the phone...most phone in indonesia are unlock, pre paid plan...no contract with carrier needed
    05-09-14 02:19 AM
31 12