07-23-13 05:10 PM
38 12
tools
    According to multiple sources BBM will come pre installed on non BlackBerry devices. Any idea what companies would do this? I can't help but think Sony would want to partner with BlackBerry but I highly doubt Apple or Samsung would have native BBM but maybe I'm wrong?

CB10 on the Z10
    07-23-13 09:25 AM
    According to multiple sources BBM will come pre installed on non BlackBerry devices. Any idea what companies would do this? I can't help but think Sony would want to partner with BlackBerry but I highly doubt Apple or Samsung would have native BBM but maybe I'm wrong?

CB10 on the Z10
    Well ask your multiple sources.....
    07-23-13 09:30 AM
    This is unlikely, but it would be a bad move anyway. Consumers resent pre-installed apps, specially those ones that they can't uninstall. For example I actually like Flipboard but I didn't appreciate that it came preinstalled. It would just foster a bad feeling towards BlackBerry.
    07-23-13 09:36 AM
    This is unlikely, but it would be a bad move anyway. Consumers resent pre-installed apps, specially those ones that they can't uninstall. For example I actually like Flipboard but I didn't appreciate that it came preinstalled. It would just foster a bad feeling towards BlackBerry.
    Cause people are upset that BBM comes pre-installed on the BB devices?!?!?!

As long as its useful, people are not going to ***** about it.. All the carrier add on are anoying.. But a Instant Messaging client is not that same. Having BBM pre-installed will cause a lot of people to start using it right off the hop since its free, and baked in.
    07-23-13 09:44 AM
    Cause people are upset that BBM comes pre-installed on the BB devices?!?!?!

As long as its useful, people are not going to ***** about it.. All the carrier add on are anoying.. But a Instant Messaging client is not that same. Having BBM pre-installed will cause a lot of people to start using it right off the hop since its free, and baked in.
    So you would be okay with googletalk, WhatsApp, imessage, msn, yahoo, etc all being pre installed on your bb?
    07-23-13 09:51 AM
    So you would be okay with googletalk, WhatsApp, imessage, msn, yahoo, etc all being pre installed on your bb?
    I would very much like to hear adrenaline's answer to this question.
    07-23-13 09:54 AM
    Yup. I would be okay with them pre-installing Skype, Whatsapp etc if you can delete them from the os after you get it.

IM clients are not that same as ROGERS tv etc. The majority of consumers use their mobile devices for mobile instant messaging either via sms or im clients. If there is a goto IM app pre-installed on your phone when you get it, and all your friends phones have the same app pre-installed everyone is going to use that by default unless the app really sucks.

Additionally, the pre-installed apps don't bog down the os... is the horrible ui that are applied by the different manufactures.. Touchwiz was a great interface for me, but it was sooo slow later on it crashed alot.. Moving to apex launcher made the phone waaaay better.. The samsung store apps etc didn't make any difference to the phone as i NEVER ran them and they didn't run in the background.
    schmeat likes this.
    07-23-13 10:02 AM
    Answer this question for yourself.. Would BBM be so popular for BB users if it wasn't pre-installed and users had to go to the app world or OTA link to download and isntall the app themselves? Would Imessage be so popular with IOS users if wasn't pre-installed? What about Facetime?

WHatsapp did because there was no real one goto app on android from what i recall and its avaible cross platform.
    07-23-13 10:12 AM
    According to multiple sources BBM will come pre installed on non BlackBerry devices.

CB10 on the Z10
    Link please??
    07-23-13 10:15 AM
    Answer this question for yourself.. Would BBM be so popular for BB users if it wasn't pre-installed and users had to go to the app world or OTA link to download and isntall the app themselves? Would Imessage be so popular with IOS users if wasn't pre-installed? What about Facetime?

WHatsapp did because there was no real one goto app on android from what i recall and its avaible cross platform.
    IOS users expect iMessage, Android users expect Hangouts, Blackberry users expect BBM. It's the third party apps that consumers resent. I think you're in the minority. Myself, I'd be annoyed if a bunch of messaging clients came pre-installed. I like to control the apps closely and as much as possible I try to rationalize and remove apps that have duplicate functions.
    h20work and 21stNow like this.
    07-23-13 10:22 AM
    I've seen where BlackBerry (Kristian Tear) has said they would like to see BBM preinstalled on other devices - of course they would, any developer would.

But I haven't seen where any manufactures have said that they wanted/would preinstall it.

Both Apple and Google want their own services to be the "it" messaging service. But the do recognize when a app is popular and the need to have that app available.

Just not sure I've seen very many preinstalled apps (other than carrier junk) they weren't already very big on their own come preinstalled. Now maybe BBRY might try to get carriers to add BBM to their packages, and allow the carriers to benefit from any revenues it generates???
    07-23-13 10:24 AM
    07-23-13 10:41 AM
    IOS users expect iMessage, Android users expect Hangouts, Blackberry users expect BBM. It's the third party apps that consumers resent. I think you're in the minority. Myself, I'd be annoyed if a bunch of messaging clients came pre-installed. I like to control the apps closely and as much as possible I try to rationalize and remove apps that have duplicate functions.
    What if BBM was the only Pre-installed IM CLient? (alongside imessage or hangouts?)
    07-23-13 10:43 AM
    Both Apple and Google want their own services to be the "it" messaging service. But the do recognize when a app is popular and the need to have that app available.
    Let's leave Google aside, because they don't make handsets (assuming Motorola has autonomy)

Let's then say Apple was approached, and they deny BBM pre-installation. Could this be akin to the Internet Explorer monopoly issue from a few years back then? I don't remember if MSFT was dinged for pre-loading IE and IE only, or was it something else?
    07-23-13 10:44 AM
    Let's leave Google aside, because they don't make handsets (assuming Motorola has autonomy)

Let's then say Apple was approached, and they deny BBM pre-installation. Could this be akin to the Internet Explorer monopoly issue from a few years back then? I don't remember if MSFT was dinged for pre-loading IE and IE only, or was it something else?
    Apple builds it's own hardware and they are allowed to dictate which software gets installed.

Anti trust issue would be if Google strong arms the other vendors from pre-installing competing apps.
    Last edited by notfanboy; 07-23-13 at 12:43 PM.
    raino likes this.
    07-23-13 10:51 AM

You know what I have done with every single BlackBerry I ever bought? Delete games, notes, Help, MySpace, Live Messenger, Yahoo, any so called entertainment app like Slacker or whatever....I want a clean device. That's one I'd the things I LOVE about Apple. No junk. If i want something I go get it.

So no. I want BBM on my non BlackBerry devices but I want to get it myself. Cuts down on my set up time, not having to delete all that junk.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
    h20work and 21stNow like this.
    07-23-13 10:51 AM
    Many of us here are hardcore or advanced users. We want things a certain way. I don't think the average user goes through their smartphone and deletes unused pre-installed apps. In contrast, I think they feel it is added value to their devices if an app comes pre installed.

Regardless the advantage of having BBM pre installed is increasing attention of the BlackBerry name. Many people think BlackBerry is done for. They probably wouldn't look for BBM in the app store of their own volition. Pre installation would at least have more people curiosity of BBM and BlackBerry increase.

Just my two cents.
    07-23-13 11:07 AM
    What if BBM was the only Pre-installed IM CLient? (alongside imessage or hangouts?)
    It would still annoy me. Mind you, I plan to install BBM the moment it becomes available but this is a decision I want to make by myself and not forced upon me.
    07-23-13 11:08 AM
    Many of us here are hardcore or advanced users. We want things a certain way. I don't think the average user goes through their smartphone and deletes unused pre-installed apps. In contrast, I think they feel it is added value to their devices if an app comes pre installed.

Regardless the advantage of having BBM pre installed is increasing attention of the BlackBerry name. Many people think BlackBerry is done for. They probably wouldn't look for BBM in the app store of their own volition. Pre installation would at least have more people curiosity of BBM and BlackBerry increase.

Just my two cents.
    Agree it would be GREAT for BlackBerry...

But there is no way Apple would even consider it.
    So the question is WHY would Samsung, HTC or Motorola be interested in preloading it? They aren't going to do it because they just love supporting a competitor and just want to give them a fighting chance. And they know that customers don't want a bunch of JUNK installed on devices these days...

So it comes down to what will BlackBerry be willing to pay them? One time fee per installation, percentage of any BBM revenues?

BlackBerry says a lot of thing that they wold like to be true... but unfortunately "saying it don't make it so".
    07-23-13 11:24 AM
    Agree it would be GREAT for BlackBerry...

But there is no way Apple would even consider it.
    So the question is WHY would Samsung, HTC or Motorola be interested in preloading it? They aren't going to do it because they just love supporting a competitor and just want to give them a fighting chance. And they know that customers don't want a bunch of JUNK installed on devices these days...

So it comes down to what will BlackBerry be willing to pay them? One time fee per installation, percentage of any BBM revenues?

BlackBerry says a lot of thing that they wold like to be true... but unfortunately "saying it don't make it so".
    I agree that it is not very likely to happen. I don't see BlackBerry pre installing Google Maps...
    07-23-13 11:37 AM
    BBM is at least useful

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 11:46 AM
    BBM is at least useful

Posted via CB10
    So are Whatsapp and others IM. It should be left upto the users to decide.
    h20work likes this.
    07-23-13 11:52 AM
    Link please??

At 1:00 they mention it.

CB10 on the Z10
    07-23-13 12:01 PM
    I agree that it is not very likely to happen. I don't see BlackBerry pre installing Google Maps...
    Let's get an installable Google Maps first...
    07-23-13 12:04 PM
    I'm thinking a partnership with Sony is in order...

CB10 on the Z10
    07-23-13 12:06 PM
38 12