This is one of the most comprehensive and well thought out articles I've read explaining the full potential of BBM and BlackBerry's future.

BBM Could Be Worth Billions If BlackBerry Can Copy The LINE Playbook - Forbes
    10-25-13 04:23 PM
    I love that BBM is doing well even before Voice/Video calling or Channels is added. There is still so much potential.
    Dude_9 likes this.
    10-25-13 04:30 PM
    Solid article thanks for sharing
    10-25-13 04:30 PM
    Very interesting

Posted from my Z10
    10-25-13 04:31 PM
    I saw this as well...potential is good especially with the up and coming sale/buyout.
    10-25-13 04:38 PM
    This great article. I hope blackberry is going to add on channels as there money stream for revenue. BlackBerry has to integrate channels into Bbm a little better.

Posted from the most powerful smartphone,z10
    10-25-13 04:49 PM
    Add channels, voip calling and all the other options BBM users on Blackberry's now have and it will become the biggest instant messaging app.
    MJ R and RH1Pearl like this.
    10-25-13 04:50 PM
    Very good and fair article. As he said, now BB need to figure it out how to make it work and not just let it be.
    10-25-13 04:59 PM
    I love that BBM is doing well even before Voice/Video calling or Channels is added. There is still so much potential.
    Nice to see. I think the initial BBM roll out will help them to get their foot in the door and gauge general consumer interest. Which is probably smart as once they roll out Voice / Video for BBM the server load is going to increase by a large magnitude no doubt....

Maybe BlackBerry's new cross platform strategy should be summarized as "If you can't beat 'em? Manage 'em"...
    10-25-13 05:40 PM
    Way, way under estimating bbm growth - 100 million users by the summer? Are you kidding me? They have 60 million BlackBerry users - even if they leave blackberry they will get Bbm again. 10 million dls in 24 hrs - I bet that's at least 20 million now. That's 80 million already with huge momentum. They will have 100 million by mid-November latest.

Posted from my Q10 on the West Coast
    10-25-13 06:12 PM
    Way, way under estimating bbm growth - 100 million users by the summer? Are you kidding me? They have 60 million BlackBerry users - even if they leave blackberry they will get Bbm again. 10 million dls in 24 hrs - I bet that's at least 20 million now. That's 80 million already with huge momentum. They will have 100 million by mid-November latest.

Posted from my Q10 on the West Coast
    Not necessarily, as happy as I'd personally be to see that happen.

Remember that Android is rapidly eating into BlackBerry's market share in third world countries. A lot of people who carried cheap BlackBerry phones just for BBM will likely now switch devices which will eat into the 60M BBM userbase initially.

I think the real growth for BBM cross platform will happen when they introduce Voice/Video/Channels for Android and iOS.
    10-25-13 06:17 PM
    Not necessarily, as happy as I'd personally be to see that happen.

Remember that Android is rapidly eating into BlackBerry's market share in third world countries. A lot of people who carried cheap BlackBerry phones just for BBM will likely now switch devices which will eat into the 60M BBM userbase initially.

I think the real growth for BBM cross platform will happen when they introduce Voice/Video/Channels for Android and iOS.
    I don't see any correlation between "Android is rapidly eating into BlackBerry's market share in the third world countries ".and the exponential growth of BBM. Those who will switch to a cheaper Android phone will still subscribe to BBM, so the net effect would be zero or very negligible.
    I do totally agree with your last paragraph; plus whatever additional surprises that BlackBerry may have in its "war chest".
    Time and good management is what BlackBerry needs badly.

Posted via CB10
    fedakd likes this.
    10-25-13 10:10 PM
  13. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    BlackBerry Needs to continue to innovate with BBM... and the valuations will follow... good start so far....

Posted via CB10
    fedakd likes this.
    10-25-13 11:27 PM
    Forbes articles seem to be good. And this one is well done. Thanks for the share op.

Sent from my zipaligned and deodexed own custom ROM on HTC One X
    10-25-13 11:43 PM
    Lol. I read the headline and kept wondering what the heck the article had to do with the BlackBerry PlayBook?

Nothing, now that I've read it. Heh.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    10-26-13 12:29 AM
    Yeah the problem is once you have a 100 million + users' attention, how do you make money without degrading the service?

Twitter has not figured this out. Not enough to make it profitable.

That's one reason I still feel the strongest play is to use BBM as a selling point in the enterprise for BES and secure cross platform messaging. Companies will pay a lot for security.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    fedakd and MobileZen like this.
    10-26-13 12:34 AM
    I don't see any correlation between "Android is rapidly eating into BlackBerry's market share in the third world countries ".and the exponential growth of BBM. Those who will switch to a cheaper Android phone will still subscribe to BBM, so the net effect would be zero or very negligible.
    I do totally agree with your last paragraph; plus whatever additional surprises that BlackBerry may have in its "war chest".
    Time and good management is what BlackBerry needs badly.

Posted via CB10
    What he is saying - which is obvious if you'd have taken time out to read through his post and the one he's replying to - is that a reasonable part of the the 20 million downloads comes from the 60 million BBM users. So 60 + 20 = 80million users is likely not strictly true.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    10-27-13 06:41 AM
    What he is saying - which is obvious if you'd have taken time out to read through his post and the one he's replying to - is that a reasonable part of the the 20 million downloads comes from the 60 million BBM users. So 60 + 20 = 80million users is likely not strictly true.

I was thinking the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    10-27-13 10:32 AM
    Potential.... BlackBerry has had SO MUCH POTENTIAL. But they have not been able to come close to realizing that potential, over and over and over.

Don't know much about LINE and how a company that might make $100 Million a quarter in 2014, might be estimated in the $8-$10 Billion range if it goes public.

But from what I understand... it is free, and most of the key features like VoIP calls and Video Calls are also free. They make money on social gaming within the app, selling "stickers" or decorations for the app, and charging for premium accounts for business and prosumers. I just don't think BlackBerry is anywhere close to being able to monetize BBM in this way. And frankly the company doesn't have the time or resources (money or software talent) to do much more with BBM....

POTENTIAL is all that they are trying to show.... it's like when you want to sell an old car you wash and wax it to make it look it's best.
    10-29-13 09:21 AM
    Worth billions to Apple and Samsung. BBM is probably the first demo app shown to Blackberry users in an Apple Store or other retail outlet. I'll bet they download the app for you and assist you in the login before you even leave the store. After all, these companies make money on the hardware.

Apple is also giving away more and more of their software except that it runs on Macs and iOS devices - not their competitors.
    10-29-13 09:42 AM
    BBM cross platform isn't a reason to switch to an iPhone or Android, it is actually a reason not to switch.

BlackBerry BBM users are no longer isolated from communicating with non BlackBerry phone users when using their preferred app, so reduced pressure to switch to another device.

People seem to think that all current BlackBerry users are dying to leave, when in fact most who are not happy have already switched. Those that remain are likely to remain.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 06:48 PM