In an excellent article on montezing BBM, BlackBerry BBM chief John Sims tells CNET:

When asked whether a desktop BBM client could be in upcoming plans, Sims suggests that BlackBerry's priorities and key markets are very much focused on mobile.
    The monetized future of BBM | Mobile World Congress - CNET Reviews
    02-27-14 09:53 PM
    Not sure I think this is such a good idea. I feel like they need a desktop client that allows for a meeting room with screen sharing etc. like adobe connect or Microsoft lync.
    But maybe that isn't a priority. Can think of lots of ways to spend money.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    1magine, Grumblegrumble and Gerii like this.
    02-27-14 10:17 PM
    They way they are implementing BBM right now I agree its not a priority. Until you can be logged on multiple devices with the same ID seamlessly I just dont see it working well. Most people dont want to have to deal with multiple IDs for each device they want to use BBM on.
    RJB55 and gebco like this.
    02-27-14 11:20 PM
    But...... it's already been written
    In fact, there are already 2 versions of BBM desktop written internally
    Version 1 works without them having to change their current infrastructure. It's like the BB Fuse idea
    Version 2 will require changes to BBID handling
    1magine likes this.
    02-27-14 11:25 PM
    Lol bullocks to it not being a priority.
    02-27-14 11:27 PM
    I think they are going after the growing markets as well. Many of those markets are mobile only when it comes to web or IM access. Facebook is obsessed with that low end mobile market.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 11:33 PM
    I think they are going after the growing markets as well. Many of those markets are mobile only when it comes to web or IM access. Facebook is obsessed with that low end mobile market.

Posted via CB10
    But BBM desktop is, by all accounts thus far, poised as an Enterprise option which they're also going after. If you're going to Enterprise with eBBM/BBM Protected, an option for BBM on the Desktop is the next step.
    02-27-14 11:36 PM
    They way they are implementing BBM right now I agree its not a priority. Until you can be logged on multiple devices with the same ID seamlessly I just dont see it working well. Most people dont want to have to deal with multiple IDs for each device they want to use BBM on.
    I would love to have this. It's one of the few things I like better in iMessage, even though it can be really flaky in terms of how it syncs between the devices. Ever since they've gone cross-platform with BBM, I've wanted the same BBM on all my devices and to be able to continue my conversation with whatever happens to be nearby.

It's probably a fairly intense engineering project, I imagine.
    02-27-14 11:41 PM
    I would love to have this. It's one of the few things I like better in iMessage, even though it can be really flaky in terms of how it syncs between the devices. Ever since they've gone cross-platform with BBM, I've wanted the same BBM on all my devices and to be able to continue my conversation with whatever happens to be nearby.

It's probably a fairly intense engineering project, I imagine.
    both imessage and hangouts do this pretty well IMO so it cant that hard. We have had up to 28 BBids in our CB mod group, it consists of maybe 12-14 people and I am sure it could be more in reality. That just isnt efficient IMO
    02-27-14 11:46 PM
    But BBM desktop is, by all accounts thus far, poised as an Enterprise option which they're also going after. If you're going to Enterprise with eBBM/BBM Protected, an option for BBM on the Desktop is the next step.
    That's a good point. I'd love to have it on my computer.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 11:48 PM
    and I do agree that desktop BBM is essential for enterprise
    02-27-14 11:49 PM
    both imessage and hangouts do this pretty well IMO so it cant that hard.
    Haha - I hear you and use Google Talk and Hangouts all the time too. Though, I wouldn't pretend to assume what's easy or hard just because a competing product has something. Might have been a fair bit of work for Apple and Google too! :-) Where I find iMessage gets flaky is that the messages sometimes get out of sync. I'm probably unusual in that I had conversations persisting across a Mac, an iPod, an iPhone and an iPad at the same time. They wouldn't always been current and sometimes messages would appear on one device and appear on another. This is what leads me to believe it's probably a bit trickier routing the conversation accurately based on what a user is on at the time in a bandwidth efficient way.
    02-27-14 11:53 PM
    My Z10 sits in a cradle on my desk. I get frustrated that I can't see my BBM messages on my computer. I have to take the phone out of the cradle and navigate to BBM. When I'm at home I leave my Z10 in the charger while I use BBM on my playbook. That's the experience I want with my laptop at work.

From a business productivity stand point it might make more sense to have a desktop app just so that people are less tempted to look at their phone. We use BBM as our work IM.
    02-28-14 12:07 AM
    They are going to have "BBM on the desktop" but not "BBM for the desktop". Difference being BBM is going to run from your phone, and messages can be pushed to your desktop as well. Very much like BlackBerry bridge right now, but you won't have to pair your phone to your desktop through bluetooth.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 12:28 AM
    This is just old guard BB thinking again. Is BB losing touch with what the customer wants again. BB we want BBM desktop now.
    02-28-14 12:29 AM
    They are going to have "BBM on the desktop" but not "BBM for the desktop". Difference being BBM is going to run from your phone, and messages can be pushed to your desktop as well. Very much like BlackBerry bridge right now, but you won't have to pair your phone to your desktop through bluetooth.

Posted via CB10
    Bad idea should have the option of both. Preferably to run independent to increase user base.
    HUNTZODIAC likes this.
    02-28-14 12:33 AM
    In an excellent article on montezing BBM, BlackBerry BBM chief John Sims tells CNET:

The monetized future of BBM | Mobile World Congress - CNET Reviews
    Considering BBM hasn't arrived on Windows Phone yet, this sounds right to me. Make BBM truly cross platform on mobile and ensure it works well. Simplify the signup and stamp out the bugs. That's what needs to happen before trying to bring BBM to desktop.
    02-28-14 12:34 AM
    My Z10 sits in a cradle on my desk. I get frustrated that I can't see my BBM messages on my computer. I have to take the phone out of the cradle and navigate to BBM. When I'm at home I leave my Z10 in the charger while I use BBM on my playbook. That's the experience I want with my laptop at work.

From a business productivity stand point it might make more sense to have a desktop app just so that people are less tempted to look at their phone. We use BBM as our work IM.
    If you own a windows PC, download Bluestacks then BBM into bluestacks. I have the latest BBM channels running on my PC, works hundreds.
    02-28-14 12:43 AM
    How about running BBM as an add-on to browsers instead of as an application on computer OS?
    Gerii and LoganSix like this.
    02-28-14 02:04 AM

Posted via CB10
    Lol. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    02-28-14 04:24 AM
    But what do you expect him to say? This was the same guy that stated not so long ago that they had no plans for BBM on Windows . So people he has to say this they probably trying to figure out how and getting working perfectly with just one pin instead having multiple pins for multiple devices one pin for all

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 10:12 AM
    I'd settle for a pc and mac version of the bridge just to hold me over until a full-featured desktop BBM client is available.
    02-28-14 10:54 AM