09-11-14 05:43 AM
154 ... 4567
tools
    I was speaking from my personal experience as well (general dynamics)
    Not saying you are completely wrong... But I have worked with insanely freaked out CIO's and progressive CIO's. If they want to go with an enterprise solution, they should make it as easy as possible. Like I said, I can login to many services at work, whole department has been warned about plugging in phones to charge into a USB because people well above me but low tech don't realize windows auto mounts as an external drive and if you happened to get a virus on your phone it then can end up on our secure network.

BB should know this well enough... they are crippling the concept of desktop BBM, and with supposed cross platform release actually giving enterprise a reason to go iOS or a secure Android platform where because the desktop solution is complete garbage at this point. I love my BB and want to keep seeing them go forward, but this is a horrible solution for the "prosumer".
    09-28-13 05:34 PM
    What good is this if it has to be tied to a BB phone? What happened to BBM4ALL, etc?

If it does not run directly on the computer and only from your device over Wi-Fi or USB then what is the real point?
    Sure, you can use a better keyboard to type messages (irony?) but it won't help expand BBM and you still need a working BB phone right there.

This should be more like the iMessage app for OS X. It works without any connection to a phone (but messages can be sent from the computer "as-if" they came from the phone number). In fact, you don't need to own a phone at all...
    I wholeheartedly agree that if such a program ever does come to fruition (one of the CrackBerry articles points out that it may *never* actually be released), it should be a stand-alone program which not only allows users to send BBM messages but also text messages via PCs.

I was watching my sister message her friends on her Mac the other day and I asked her how the Mac program worked. She said she could either send messages as an iMessage or a text message just as if she was sending it from her phone. Any similar BlackBerry program should, at the very least, have such capabilities.

Unfortunately, when it comes to PC programs, BlackBerry Link has been a major disappointment since it was released. This leads me to think that if the company can't even get a relatively simple BlackBerry-specific syncing program right, the chances of creating such a program successfully are slim to none which is very, very unfortunate.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 09:29 AM
    #bbmforallexceptpatientandroidusersandslowiosusers andeveryoneelse.
    10-03-13 03:08 AM

I was watching my sister message her friends on her Mac the other day and I asked her how the Mac program worked. She said she could either send messages as an iMessage or a text message just as if she was sending it from her phone. Any similar BlackBerry program should, at the very least, have such capabilities.

Posted via CB10
    Your sister is full of crap, iMessage on mac only allows you to send imessages to other apple users, She can't send an SMS message from her mac to you on your blackberry. And that is where blackberrys system is superior, in my opinion. It is allowing you to mirror all your phone functions on your desktop so while you are working on your PC you would theoretically never have to consult your phone.

I think it's a really clever system and it wouldn't work as a standalone client because otherwise you wouldn't have access to the core phone features.
    bradu1 and anon(8865116) like this.
    10-03-13 03:41 AM
    Your sister is full of crap, iMessage on mac only allows you to send imessages to other apple users, She can't send an SMS message from her mac to you on your blackberry. And that is where blackberrys system is superior, in my opinion. It is allowing you to mirror all your phone functions on your desktop so while you are working on your PC you would theoretically never have to consult your phone.

I think it's a really clever system and it wouldn't work as a standalone client because otherwise you wouldn't have access to the core phone features.
    Forgot to employ reading comprehension skills.
    10-03-13 04:40 AM
    Forgot to employ reading comprehension skills.
    How so?
    10-03-13 06:09 AM
    How so?
    Well, let's see. First we have the post you quoted. Pay attention to the bolded parts, that's where you erred.

I wholeheartedly agree that if such a program ever does come to fruition (one of the CrackBerry articles points out that it may *never* actually be released), it should be a stand-alone program which not only allows users to send BBM messages but also text messages via PCs.

Unfortunately, when it comes to PC programs, BlackBerry Link has been a major disappointment since it was released. This leads me to think that if the company can't even get a relatively simple BlackBerry-specific syncing program right, the chances of creating such a program successfully are slim to none which is very, very unfortunate.

Posted via CB10
    Then you tried to tell him he has no clue what he was talking about.

Now where exactly did proudcdnguy say his sister messaged anyone on a BlackBerry?
    10-03-13 01:26 PM

She said she could either send messages as an iMessage or a text message just as if she was sending it from her phone.

Posted via CB10
    iMessage on a Mac doesn't allow you to send text messages, only iMessages. Which is common sense as text messages are tied to your SIM.
    bradu1 likes this.
    10-03-13 01:41 PM
    I think the BB way is superior, although I think if they had just let BBM be accessible from a browser most people wouldn't care.
    Also, does this mean other apps can be mirrored?
    10-03-13 08:48 PM
    What ever happened to this? Is the claim now that "blend" is what they were showing? Demo showed a BBM demo clearly independent of a BlackBerry device and UI was not that of BlackBerry blend. Almost a year later and still not out
    09-01-14 08:27 AM
    An independent app for desktop, while still using the same BBID as on your phone would result in a horrible experience currently (re-logging all the time). Same as using BBM on multiple devices.
    If they ever make something like this, the first step would be to make sure BBIDs can be shared between all devices simultaneously (maybe peer to peer like Groups).
    Now that Blend is coming I doubt there will be much demand left for a standalone app, not in the world of M2M.

BlackBerry 10 signed @ C0007CC89
    09-01-14 08:53 AM
    An independent app for desktop, while still using the same BBID as on your phone would result in a horrible experience currently (re-logging all the time). Same as using BBM on multiple devices.
    If they ever make something like this, the first step would be to make sure BBIDs can be shared between all devices simultaneously (maybe peer to peer like Groups).
    Now that Blend is coming I doubt there will be much demand left for a standalone app, not in the world of M2M.

BlackBerry 10 signed @ C0007CC89
    Yeah sorry it was announced and shown though. This thread is not about a concept or wish
    09-01-14 10:09 AM
    Yeah sorry it was announced and shown though. This thread is not about a concept or wish
    I'd venture a guess that what was shown was possibly the idea at the time, and in the interim it was decided that BlackBerry Blend would be the end result.
    09-01-14 10:22 AM
    Apparently it does not run directly on the computer. It runs from your device over wifi or usb. You can attach files using the native windows file picker, etc.

Like a BBM bridge to desktop type thing.
    That sounds good for me. One account that you don't have to always be signing in and out of.

I can see BBM becoming very popular in the long term.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    09-01-14 01:17 PM
    It was all a dream, I used to read word up magazine!
    iToya, raino and dalight13 like this.
    09-04-14 11:03 AM
    Going to be interesting to have phone, PlayBook and PC all synced with the same messages at once.

For mac users apparently they are going to make it too.
    Apologies if it's already been said,.. But imessage has done this for years.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-04-14 08:35 PM
    Apologies if it's already been said,.. But imessage has done this for years.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    iMessage on Mac let's you text non iPhone folks? I'm asking because I really don't know lol.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 06:36 AM
    iMessage on Mac let's you text non iPhone folks? I'm asking because I really don't know lol.

Posted via CB10
    iMessage on Mac right now let's you iMessage any Apple device associated with the iMessage account. On iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite, you can also send SMS to any device and it syncs across all Apple devices. It also allows you to answer and place calls (not just FaceTime, normal phone calls) for any Apple device as well.

I've been using iOS 8 and Yosemite and it works really well. Both are still in beta though and should be released this month.
    09-05-14 06:53 AM
    Has been said before... BlackBerry Blend will be our desktop version..... I am happy with that

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 06:56 AM
    iMessage on Mac right now let's you iMessage any Apple device associated with the iMessage account. On iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite, you can also send SMS to any device and it syncs across all Apple devices.

I've been using iOS 8 and Yosemite and it works really well. Both are still in beta though and should be released this month.
    Big deal. Sorry but this doesn't cut it anymore. Another example of Apple being a day late and dollar short.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 06:58 AM
    Big deal. Sorry but this doesn't cut it anymore. Another example of Apple being a day late and dollar short.

Posted via CB10
    I wasn't trying to make it a big deal, just saying what it does.

Day late dollar short? This will most likely be on the market before Blend.
    09-05-14 10:51 AM
    iMessage on Mac right now let's you iMessage any Apple device associated with the iMessage account. On iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite, you can also send SMS to any device and it syncs across all Apple devices. It also allows you to answer and place calls (not just FaceTime, normal phone calls) for any Apple device as well.

Thanks for the clarification.

Posted via CB10
    avt123 likes this.
    09-05-14 03:14 PM
    I wasn't trying to make it a big deal, just saying what it does.

Day late dollar short? This will most likely be on the market before Blend.
    Knowing how well BlackBerry has been able to roll-out BBM on other platforms, and how well the desktop software of the past has worked....
    avt123 and mornhavon like this.
    09-05-14 03:22 PM
    reading through this thread, I'm still wondering if I'm on iMore or crackberry.
    09-05-14 07:42 PM
    reading through this thread, I'm still wondering if I'm on iMore or crackberry.
    That's exactly what I thought! Lol. But these days we're all sisters get it? Hahaha...

Posted via swift BlackBerry ? Z30!
    09-05-14 08:46 PM
154 ... 4567