09-11-14 05:43 AM
154 ... 34567
tools
    BlackBerry: Can't release BBM on multiple platforms in a timely fashion. Announces half-assed BBM availability on desktop in the same week. Expects people to be wooed and excited.

Posted from my ZED10
    09-27-13 06:48 AM
    What good is this if it has to be tied to a BB phone? What happened to BBM4ALL, etc?

If it does not run directly on the computer and only from your device over Wi-Fi or USB then what is the real point?
    Sure, you can use a better keyboard to type messages (irony?) but it won't help expand BBM and you still need a working BB phone right there.

This should be more like the iMessage app for OS X. It works without any connection to a phone (but messages can be sent from the computer "as-if" they came from the phone number). In fact, you don't need to own a phone at all.

Also, was this merely a technology demonstration or was it actually announced - with a real public release date or ETA?
    I think it is absolutely great that it is not a self contained PC app. To begin with, having it only on your phone means versatility. I can use it to any pc I want as long as I have my phone with me and then it means security. I do not log into an app on a system. I just practically mirror it on the PC. When I am not in front of my pc anymore, the app and messages come with me.

At the same time, while I work on the pc, I do not really have to stop and use the phone, I just click on the app, communicate and keep doing what I was doing.

I perceive the structure idea to be well thought.
    I guess it may come over to other phones, not only BB, I mean I would not expect BBRY to come out on a Jam demo showing how "android and iOS can use desktop BBM", but that does not mean they will exclusively leave it on for BBRY phones only.

And if they do, in case BBM goes on to pick up on non BB OS user base, then the desktop use may as well become a way to attract more ppl to BB (although that last observation I am cautious as to it actually working, just mentioning it as a possible thinking line of BB...).

Just my 2 cents.
    si001 and RECOOL like this.
    09-27-13 06:49 AM
    I think it is absolutely great that it is not a self contained PC app. To begin with, having it only on your phone means versatility. I can use it to any pc I want as long as I have my phone with me and then it means security.
    Except you can't. You have to install something on the PC first.

With Hangouts or Facebook messenger, you go to any old computer, open the browser in incognito mode, and you're on.
    mikeo007 and howarmat like this.
    09-27-13 06:54 AM
    Making desktop only work with BB phones is the proper way to have an incentive to buy a BB phone. Otherwise, people would continue to buy another platform phone.

They want multiple platform support to drive up acceptance and become a standard, and then they want to have a reason for people to want and buy a BB phone, or else they are just providing free services for Android and Apple.
    Where are you living man? No one cares about BB and their voice/video was actually cool. Until LINE can do all that as well. It just came out with video calling, there is a desktop/mobile(ios,droid,bb-sideload) versions. They aren't coming back. I swear this whole blackberry thing was making me angrier by the day. Im happy im out, will support someone who appreciates it.
    09-27-13 07:51 AM
    Ok, next q is. Since this is supposed to be an "inspiration".. does that mean that some developer can come up with it? ;p

Posted via CB10
    No Blackberry will end up dropping you like the whatsapp dev -- Karma
    09-27-13 07:53 AM
    Whatever time they spent creating this was a total waste.
    Except its not actually out, or even dated, even if dated wouldn't be the actual date, so really just forget it
    09-27-13 07:54 AM
    I think it is absolutely great that it is not a self contained PC app. To begin with, having it only on your phone means versatility. I can use it to any pc I want as long as I have my phone with me and then it means security. I do not log into an app on a system. I just practically mirror it on the PC. When I am not in front of my pc anymore, the app and messages come with me.
    iMessage works across Mac OS X, iPad, iPhone, iPod. And you don't have to plug your phone into a PC. BBM Desktop could work the same way, but Blackberry no longer has the engineering resources to match their competition.
    09-27-13 09:16 AM
    Apparently it does not run directly on the computer. It runs from your device over wifi or usb. You can attach files using the native windows file picker, etc.

Like a BBM bridge to desktop type thing.
    Except you can't. You have to install something on the PC first.

With Hangouts or Facebook messenger, you go to any old computer, open the browser in incognito mode, and you're on.

From the article in the CB front page ( BBM on the desktop gets a BlackBerry Jam Asia demo | CrackBerry.com)
    What you see in the above image was a tech demo for BBM on the desktop at BlackBerry Jam Asia, essentially showing how your BlackBerry can be used to mirror the content on your BlackBerry to the desktop over USB and WiFi which also includes Windows integration, allowing for such things as using the file picker to send photos, files and more.
    I think it is pretty obvious that this is not a self contained app. How they will integrate it is another story but It still is not a self contained app that you have to download to your pc from what is being told up to this poin? Please do help me understand what I missed here.
    09-27-13 09:16 AM
    iMessage works across Mac OS X, iPad, iPhone, iPod. And you don't have to plug your phone into a PC. BBM Desktop could work the same way, but Blackberry no longer has the engineering resources to match their competition.
    I see your point but from what I read they are using wifi (i would assume wifi-direct in the future would be the way to do this) in order to do that. So wireless local communication is what I take initially as the general framework on connectivity.

Also if I am not mistaken, iMessage works across using the cloud and data, not wifi or wifi direct. This does change the flow of info from your phone to the pc and vice versa in the local-remote part of the info flow no?

That, if it is the case, creates versatility for use with PCs in a form of the pc being a "terminal" and not a core component with necessity to customization on the PC software? At least this is what I think their general idea is (having the famous -alas not yet seen- "mobile computing"in mind).
    09-27-13 09:21 AM
    From the article in the CB front page ( BBM on the desktop gets a BlackBerry Jam Asia demo | CrackBerry.com)

I think it is pretty obvious that this is not a self contained app. How they will integrate it is another story but It still is not a self contained app that you have to download to your pc from what is being told up to this poin? Please do help me understand what I missed here.
    regardless if its an app or a webpage, not much ppl are excited for it. if you received a msg at home or at a friends home would u respond by typing on your phone or you will be like, hey can you get off your computer and let me bridge my phone to your computer and wait for it to sync so i can type and respond to my msg. not to mention it will drain your battery life too.

can't beleive BB so out of touch. if they are going to make a bbm client, make it so you dont need your phone. no one got time to sync it. ppl will just respond with their phone.
    09-27-13 09:57 AM
    Very productive commentary. Thanks for that.

Posted via CB10
    Do I really need to do a detailed analysis? That would be like writing an essay on why its bad to hit yourself in the head with a hammer.
    09-27-13 10:59 AM
    regardless if its an app or a webpage, not much ppl are excited for it. if you received a msg at home or at a friends home would u respond by typing on your phone or you will be like, hey can you get off your computer and let me bridge my phone to your computer and wait for it to sync so i can type and respond to my msg. not to mention it will drain your battery life too.

can't beleive BB so out of touch. if they are going to make a bbm client, make it so you dont need your phone. no one got time to sync it. ppl will just respond with their phone.
    Your point is totally void. The premise is to be able to use BBM on the desktop for just this set up: for when you want to use it on the desktop.

The situation you propose is at least out of context. When I am working and I am on the pc I will be able to use the BBM messaging without having to be diverted on using the phone. The point is that be it what desktop you are working on, if it can be used simply by connecting your phone to the desktop-laptop, while you use the PC you have the option.

i.e: the very feature presupposes that you are using a PC. In other contexts, obviously you will be using the phone....

and as for the battery drain, I would go that far as to tell you that to the contrary, when you have very little battery left you can connect via USB, give a battery boost to your phone and at the same time use BBM on the PC.

If you need to express negative critique, please at least make some serious points. It is not even out yet, just a tech demo. I for one would welcome such feature and of course I am waiting to see how it may work in order to fully grasp it, but as a possibility it is a nice feature to see being in the works.

Before dumping an idea on "features" I prefer to let it evolve. Currently I appreciate it as an idea and as such it seems positive (added feature).
    si001 likes this.
    09-27-13 12:01 PM
    How BlackBerry implement this depends on the business driver.
    If they want to add features to the BB10 experience, then having it bridge makes sense.
    But if they want to increase BBM market penetration then having a pc client or Web app makes more sense.

Posted from my ??????
    09-27-13 12:18 PM
    Do I really need to do a detailed analysis? That would be like writing an essay on why its bad to hit yourself in the head with a hammer.
    You shouldn't write an essay without knowing the subject. Please do some practical application on this topic and let us know when you have that essay ready. I'm very anxious to read it!

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 01:29 PM
    Going to be a pretty cool experience.
    09-27-13 01:44 PM
    What good is this if it has to be tied to a BB phone? What happened to BBM4ALL, etc?

If it does not run directly on the computer and only from your device over Wi-Fi or USB then what is the real point?
    Sure, you can use a better keyboard to type messages (irony?) but it won't help expand BBM and you still need a working BB phone right there.

This should be more like the iMessage app for OS X. It works without any connection to a phone (but messages can be sent from the computer "as-if" they came from the phone number). In fact, you don't need to own a phone at all.

Also, was this merely a technology demonstration or was it actually announced - with a real public release date or ETA?
    It was a technology demonstration. It will likely never be available. It was more to showcase what is meant by "mobile computing platform"

Talking with inventor of BBM about PC, iOS, and Android rollouts | CrackBerry.com

"BBM on PC, enabled over Wi-Fi and borrowing elements of Link and Bridge, is less of a product announcement and more a demonstration of the power of the platform. It certainly reiterates BBM's focus on mobile first, rather than building an entirely separate product category to manage. Gary was also clear that the demo also showed the general direction BlackBerry drifting towards."
    09-27-13 02:19 PM
    It was a technology demonstration. It will likely never be available. It was more to showcase what is meant by "mobile computing platform"

Talking with inventor of BBM about PC, iOS, and Android rollouts | CrackBerry.com

"BBM on PC, enabled over Wi-Fi and borrowing elements of Link and Bridge, is less of a product announcement and more a demonstration of the power of the platform. It certainly reiterates BBM's focus on mobile first, rather than building an entirely separate product category to manage. Gary was also clear that the demo also showed the general direction BlackBerry drifting towards."
    I swear if I hear "mobile computing" one more time................

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 02:24 PM
    Mobile computing! :-P

"Hey that is my Q... 10... via CB10
    09-27-13 02:45 PM
    Apparently it does not run directly on the computer. It runs from your device over wifi or usb. You can attach files using the native windows file picker, etc.

Like a BBM bridge to desktop type thing.
    STUPID! Should either be web based or on PC app. Lots of folks can't connect to their work computers, dumb, dumb, dumb...
    techvisor likes this.
    09-27-13 03:30 PM
    STUPID! Should either be web based or on PC app. Lots of folks can't connect to their work computers, dumb, dumb, dumb...
    True. But to play devils advocate, then they probably don't have permissions to install an IM client either.
    09-27-13 03:37 PM
    There's been a desktop bridge app for Playbook for over a year now. I used it, it worked, only difference is it was used conjunction with BBOS.

They need stand alone desktop bbm. Anything else is a joke.

Sent from, My Motorola side view pager. 4-5683-8
    techvisor likes this.
    09-27-13 03:55 PM
    Now I get it, because Thorsten thinks and therefore BlackBerry thinks tablets will be dead in 5 years, they have transferred the bridge concept from Playbook to PC. I guess from BlackBerry's view this makes perfect sense. In all seriousness, I get that they are working on integration of the phones with other devices, but I think they should be focusing on TVs and cars, not PC's.
    09-27-13 05:07 PM
    As per the usual BBRY practice, they have now gone into hiding on BBM4ALL. Not a peep about when to expect anything just the same old rehashed commentary about shutting it down. If BBRY can't figure out how to properly launch BBM4ALL, how on earth can anyone expect BBM Desktop to even be real?
    09-27-13 08:01 PM
    True. But to play devils advocate, then they probably don't have permissions to install an IM client either.
    Not true at all, our new VOIP will be including IM capability (desktop and phone). Also I run Chrome, Firefox, and IE... I could easily login to a web based client in most cases if not all cases, and have reasons to do such (I have two 3rd party web based clients I must use ever day currently). Plugging in a "USB" device throws different flags to IT.
    09-27-13 10:05 PM
    Not true at all, our new VOIP will be including IM capability (desktop and phone). Also I run Chrome, Firefox, and IE... I could easily login to a web based client in most cases if not all cases, and have reasons to do such (I have two 3rd party web based clients I must use ever day currently). Plugging in a "USB" device throws different flags to IT.
    I was speaking from my personal experience as well (general dynamics)
    09-28-13 01:16 PM
154 ... 34567