09-11-14 06:43 AM
154 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Because of the security of BBs and PINs. BBM is all PIN-based for security purposes. Hard to get around that.

The PIN is tied directly to one phone and one phone only so it can't be spoofed. The best you'll be able to hope for is that the phone gets the BBM message and sends it to the computer via wifi or usb. BBRY will never allow two devices such as a desktop and phone to both use the same PIN. Would defeat BBRY's legendary security and likely isn't even possible.
    Sorry I am ignorant on this subject, but isn't BBM for iOS and Android based on your BlackBerry ID now? Or is a PIN generated for your BB ID?
    09-26-13 01:02 PM
    This company is clearly out of control.
    09-26-13 01:02 PM
    Sorry I am ignorant on this subject, but isn't BBM for iOS and Android based on your BlackBerry ID now? Or is a PIN generated for your BB ID?
    Yes. But you can only sign into a single device at one time.
    09-26-13 01:06 PM
    No but the point is that... imagine you're sitting there by your computer anyway. Your phone is sitting there next to you, connected to your computer or a wifi network. Instead of having to pick up your phone every time you get a BBM message you just type into the window on your screen. Whether it's SMS or BBM or Whatsapp or Hangouts or iMessaging or whatever... if you're already on the computer it just makes life easier.

So some sort of desktop BBM service -- even if it requires the phone to be on the same WiFi network (as AirDroid does) -- would be quite useful for plenty of people. Why BBRY would come out with a prototype and then not develop it further but rather use it to showcase some USB hub is beyond me.
    Imagine? It's been around for years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 01:12 PM
    A bridge BBM on the Desktop as happens on the Playbook is not a bad idea. But it needs to get the full features of BBM! To be a success, BlackBerry needs to make a native client for the desktop, just like Hookt made it!
    09-26-13 01:13 PM
    I'd like to see a cross browser compatible BBM client (Playbook may finally get BBM without bridge!!), but it'll never happen so Blackberry, release the API's and let some else do it.

It would also open the doors for sites that already incorporate:

Login/post using Facebook
    Login/post using Twitter

Login using BBM !
    ^ the APIs and usage potential for this could be huge.

Also with some decent API's there has been some impressive stuff, Twitter has had a whole host of apps / services built around itself via its API's, one of them being tweetdeck which Twitter gobbled up for $40million.
    09-26-13 01:13 PM
    dont really want to read all this pages of comments, but we all know how this will end - they will announce release date and........................
    09-26-13 01:23 PM
    So this is basically BBM trying to be iMessage, except you MUST have your phone handy?

The stupid just never stops.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    No, this is much like bridge that BlackBerry enthusiasts loved with our play books and have been asking for on PC. Between this, and remote file access, this is a great thing. Personally, I haven't asked for iMessage. I've asked for this. Thanks BlackBerry!

Personally, I'm glad they make it through the phone, and hope they keep it that way. That was a huge plus for me on pb. If I leave my laptop in my office and head out, I don't have to worry about someone jumping on my bbm. And my phone is always on me. Huge positive.

Disclaimer: my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    si001 likes this.
    09-26-13 01:37 PM
    No, this is much like bridge that BlackBerry enthusiasts loved with our play books and have been asking for on PC. Between this, and remote file access, this is a great thing. Personally, I haven't asked for iMessage. I've asked for this. Thanks BlackBerry!

Personally, I'm glad they make it through the phone, and hope they keep it that way. That was a huge plus for me on pb. If I leave my laptop in my office and head out, I don't have to worry about someone jumping on my bbm. And my phone is always on me. Huge positive.

Disclaimer: my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Don't say thanks yet, lets hope at the very least blackberry make it, so far it seems like it's just eye candy to demonstrate what developers could do.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 01:48 PM
    I doubt we will ever see this. And if we do, and they do not make a it a desktop app, I doubt many people would care.

And I don't think people care about security. I think people want something that they can load to their computer and just use it, chat with friends, co workers, etc... And when they leave out, they can pick up their phone, and the conversation picks up right where they left off in their office. If I wanted to transfer files from my phone to my PC or tether, that's when I would worry about a WiFi or USB connection between the two. Otherwise, I wouldn't.

In my opinion, if they can't figure out how to make this work without needing your phone connected, it will not be successful.
    Darlaten likes this.
    09-26-13 02:02 PM
    I was literally looking for a client that did this the other day! No cigar! So this is welcome news!
    09-26-13 02:12 PM
    I was literally looking for a client that did this the other day! No cigar! So this is welcome news!
    Let's all hope they follow through! True cross platform messaging from anywhere is the holy grail, imo. And forget Bridging, just make it work on the desktop regardless of platform or phone.
    09-26-13 02:22 PM
    I hear it's coming real soon! Right after BBM for iOS and Android! LOL
    09-26-13 02:22 PM
    I think the idea of this is a good one, and I bet they are working on doing a bridge to PC via BB Link (which works over wifi). Whether or not it comes out is another story. If they are working on it, it's likely very early in development anyway.
    09-26-13 03:20 PM
    Define Announced: Make a public and typically formal declaration about a fact or occurrence or intention.

Another great idea... I think we should....(Awesomeness here) and then botch everything we thought of (Failed execution here)
    09-26-13 04:16 PM
    Making desktop only work with BB phones is the proper way to have an incentive to buy a BB phone. Otherwise, people would continue to buy another platform phone.

They want multiple platform support to drive up acceptance and become a standard, and then they want to have a reason for people to want and buy a BB phone, or else they are just providing free services for Android and Apple.
    09-26-13 05:18 PM
    Define Announced: Make a public and typically formal declaration about a fact or occurrence or intention.

Another great idea... I think we should....(Awesomeness here) and then botch everything we thought of (Failed execution here)
    Precisely. BBRY has a sorry record of floating these trial balloons only to have them die off before anything serious comes of them.
    09-26-13 05:25 PM
    And here is how TechCrunch described it :

BlackBerry Will Release A Painful-To-Use BBM App For Desktops | TechCrunch

Painful to use. Title says it all. Lol
    09-26-13 11:05 PM
    Are you ever without your phone around the computer you will install it on? I'm not.
    But my mother is and so are my kids, it MUST be Standalone on a Pc/Mac or its pointless. BUT if they can replace the desktop or laptop with a wireless keyboard, mouse and monitor, then there might be something to it (it will still suffer without having it standalone on the PC or Mac) .

Ricocan
    09-26-13 11:47 PM
    Guys, there is much more than what is announced in the pipelines in terms of BBM Desktop
    At the moment, there is no release date for what is shown, or what I know is in the pipelines
    Of course, I cannot reveal the details that have been confided in me, but I'll say that I'm pretty excited
    If you don't believe me, my BL tag should be convincing enough, although what I know did not come from the team
    09-27-13 01:43 AM
    Whatever time they spent creating this was a total waste.
    Damatrix02 likes this.
    09-27-13 01:54 AM
    Whatever time they spent creating this was a total waste.
    Very productive commentary. Thanks for that.

Posted via CB10
    si001 likes this.
    09-27-13 02:05 AM
    This appears to be in line with my thoughts on the RIM Tunnel Service included with BB Link basically enabling a "bridge" to the PC from BB10 devices. First we got remote file sharing, and now BBM, but I am thinking that this will eventually turn into a full mirror of sorts, and really hoping for things like hub, caller ID, SMS/MMS, calendar and any other mobile computing service coming from the phone.

I guess I can dream for now!
    And once again BlackBerry ties itself exclusively to Microsoft Windows.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    kevinnugent likes this.
    09-27-13 02:31 AM
    Ok, next q is. Since this is supposed to be an "inspiration".. does that mean that some developer can come up with it? ;p

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 05:48 AM
    BBM for desktop - what is this, an app for Windows? Why do you need an app when you have a browser?

Google Hangouts and Facebook Messenger are cross platform and require only a browser on desktop machines.
    09-27-13 07:34 AM
154 ... 23456 ...