09-11-14 06:43 AM
154 12345 ...
tools
    So this is basically BBM trying to be iMessage, except you MUST have your phone handy?

The stupid just never stops.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    You know.....just when your sympathy is beginning to overwhelm your memories of the lies and stupidity....they somehow manage to top themselves - top themselves on the way to the bottom!

It is then nothing more than a video output to your computer AND a way to transfer files from the computer to bbm (as opposed, I suppose, to passing files to the phone, and then to BBM. LOL)

.....speechless.....

EDIT: Oh, OK CGK, thanks. I'm glad this turns out not to be real. LOL....love the line in the article:
    "BBM from your PC or Mac will remove the need to check your phone whenever it beeps as you will be able to manage it entirely from your computer"

OH!!! You mean I wouldn't have to check my phone.....which is sitting right here attached by USB to the computer to make this work?
    kevinnugent, TGR1 and qwerty4ever like this.
    09-26-13 06:23 AM
    SMART, SMART, SMART!!!!

Well done, BBRY!
    Ahem

One of many and they work via USB, Bluetooth or Wi-Fi
    09-26-13 09:23 AM
    I'm sure it will be slow to release and when the release occurs it will be botched. I guess an actual client that works without the phone is too hard to pull off.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 09:38 AM
    Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 09:39 AM
    Will this work with Android or iOS devices that have BBM Apps?

I really question WHY even do this. Why not put the time it took to develop this into creating a Windows/Mac app for BBM?
    09-26-13 09:50 AM
    It's another con!

See more at: NotAnalog.com
    Wow. What more of an indictment that right now BBRY has *nothing*? And I wonder how much Jam cost them?
    richardat likes this.
    09-26-13 09:52 AM
    Ahem

One of many and they work via USB, Bluetooth or Wi-Fi
    Your pic reminds me of another app, the Richardatapp which allows you to do something similar with no usb, no wifi, no bluetooth, no IR, nothing....just air (even that is optional). It is free, risk-free, completely secure - as both systems are absolutely self-contained, on a level beyond any NSA level security, is incredibly fast with no lag, and it takes no space.

One simply places their phone on the desktop - as with these other systems. One then launches the richardatapp (also known as your webcam monitor). You then place your webcam really close to the phone screen......
    09-26-13 10:42 AM
    So sad that they were afraid to even say "coming soon", out of fear of it not being here soon. They've come to the point where they don't say anything about time frame at all.
    09-26-13 10:50 AM
    Your pic reminds me of another app, the Richardatapp which allows you to do something similar with no usb, no wifi, no bluetooth, no IR, nothing....just air (even that is optional). It is free, risk-free, completely secure - as both systems are absolutely self-contained, on a level beyond any NSA level security, is incredibly fast with no lag, and it takes no space.

One simply places their phone on the desktop - as with these other systems. One then launches the richardatapp (also known as your webcam monitor). You then place your webcam really close to the phone screen......
    Doesn't S4BB make that app?
    09-26-13 10:53 AM
    Wow, typical BBRY. Showcase something actually useful and then fail to follow through with it.
    To be fair, it's not really very useful.

Standalone BBM client (or even better, web client) might be useful.
    Requiring a Blackberry device be tethered to your PC, not so useful.
    howarmat and k8bushlover like this.
    09-26-13 11:01 AM
    Doesn't S4BB make that app?
    LOL. We're maklng a version for each major city, different types of desktops (oak, particleboard, metal, etc), and of course, for each year of your life.
    09-26-13 11:02 AM
    LOL. We're maklng a version for each major city, different types of desktops (oak, particleboard, metal, etc), and of course, for each year of your life.
    Why not write a book and audio book for each of those as well. But don't have them available for download! Just a link.
    richardat likes this.
    09-26-13 11:07 AM
    To be fair, it's not really very useful.

Standalone BBM client (or even better, web client) might be useful.
    Requiring a Blackberry device be tethered to your PC, not so useful.
    The "10,000,000 to 50,000,000" people who downloaded AirDroid for Android might disagree. One of the major selling points of that app is that you can send SMS texts from your desktop while connected to your Android phone. I use it all the time.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....sand.airdroid
    09-26-13 11:59 AM
    The "10,000,000 to 50,000,000" people who downloaded AirDroid for Android might disagree. One of the major selling points of that app is that you can send SMS texts from your desktop while connected to your Android phone. I use it all the time.

I was using something similar on a Nokia E61 n around 2007

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 12:04 PM

Does this BBM app allow SMS though? That could be useful, I agree...if it does allow that.

If it's just BBM though, that would be like forcing you to tether your phone to use Facebook messenger instead of...you know...just sending a Facebook message.

I would have used MSN/Tethering a Windows phone, but I think that would be an example for 5 years ago, because I don't know anyone who uses MSN anymore.
    09-26-13 12:06 PM
    First they need to figure out how to allow 1 BBM id on all platforms and devices at the same time. Once they can finally do that then a webclient or standalone app would be perfect. This bridge stuff doesnt cut it for me.
    randall2580 and k8bushlover like this.
    09-26-13 12:11 PM
    It's another con!
    If it uses USB Host, I guess that means it wouldn't work with any of the current BlackBerry 10 devices except for the Z30.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    09-26-13 12:12 PM
    Right idea almost but must be standalone if they truly want to hit the Mac and PC platforms. Otherswise won't do much good to be tethered.

They want to be cross platform yet cut out the PC and Mac desktop or Linux makes absolutely no sense. If they all can't "talk" together what's the point..

Heck it can even be ad supported on the desktop for a revenue stream.

To bad they're probably not to smart to figure that out...
    So you came up with all of that and figured no one at BBRY is "smart" enough to figure it out? Methinks they should hire you!
    09-26-13 12:15 PM
    Does this BBM app allow SMS though? That could be useful, I agree...if it does allow that.
    No but the point is that... imagine you're sitting there by your computer anyway. Your phone is sitting there next to you, connected to your computer or a wifi network. Instead of having to pick up your phone every time you get a BBM message you just type into the window on your screen. Whether it's SMS or BBM or Whatsapp or Hangouts or iMessaging or whatever... if you're already on the computer it just makes life easier.

So some sort of desktop BBM service -- even if it requires the phone to be on the same WiFi network (as AirDroid does) -- would be quite useful for plenty of people. Why BBRY would come out with a prototype and then not develop it further but rather use it to showcase some USB hub is beyond me.
    09-26-13 12:17 PM
    I bet they're now thinking woops, we shouldn't have shown that!

Or...

I wonder if Alec, the engineers, and programmers have finally had enough of upper management and presented this without upper management knowing.

Think about it. Everything great has been done by the workers. Everything bad by upper management.

Posted via CB10
    It's like there are two BlackBerry's... One deserves to live. The other does not.
    09-26-13 12:17 PM
    No but the point is that... imagine you're sitting there by your computer anyway. Instead of having to pick up your phone every time you get a BBM message you just type into the window on your screen. Whether it's SMS or BBM or Whatsapp or Hangouts or iMessaging or whatever... if you're already on the computer it just makes life easier.
    Again, I agree.
    I'm saying why do I need to tether to a device to do this?
    I can already do it with iMessage with no tether.
    Same goes for Facebook messages.
    09-26-13 12:20 PM
    Again, I agree.
    I'm saying why do I need to tether to a device to do this?
    I can already do it with iMessage with no tether.
    Same goes for Facebook messages.
    Because of the security of BBs and PINs. BBM is all PIN-based for security purposes. Hard to get around that.

The PIN is tied directly to one phone and one phone only so it can't be spoofed. The best you'll be able to hope for is that the phone gets the BBM message and sends it to the computer via wifi or usb. BBRY will never allow two devices such as a desktop and phone to both use the same PIN. Would defeat BBRY's legendary security and likely isn't even possible.
    bradu1 likes this.
    09-26-13 12:33 PM
    Because of the security of BBs and PINs. BBM is all PIN-based for security purposes. Hard to get around that.

The PIN is tied directly to one phone and one phone only so it can't be spoofed. The best you'll be able to hope for is that the phone gets the BBM message and sends it to the computer via wifi or usb. BBRY will never allow two devices such as a desktop and phone to both use the same PIN. Would defeat BBRY's legendary security and likely isn't even possible.
    That's a shame, especially considering what the average consumer thinks of security vs convenience. Oh well, if this product ever became more than "not even a proof of concept" then there'd at least be someone out there to use it.
    09-26-13 12:40 PM
    This didn't go to well for bridge so I hope the same doesn't happen to BBM. Why not make it a native client On the desktop itself?

Posted via CB10
    It isn't technically possible. Since BBM is a single device to single device communication. Having the same content on multiple devices at the same time is troublesome to say the least. If you have a desktop logged in but in sleep mode, does it show it was delivered or not as it was delivered to your phone. The D and R need to be synchronized across all devices at the same time. So this makes it very difficult to implement. That is by there will be a bridge for Playbook and Desktop from your single BBM device. Your phone.
    09-26-13 12:48 PM
    In midst of the almost launch of BBM for iOS and Android and the BBM4ALL campaign, they show off BBM like this on the Desktop and then basically say nothing will come of it and it was a POC for other things that developers can use it for and not BBM in particular. Why use BBM for the example and its increased scrutiny this week and then basically say, "yeah, you'll never see BBM like this" why??

I realize its a developers conference, but at least they could have used The Hub or Calendar or something! Am I missing something?
    09-26-13 12:59 PM
154 12345 ...