09-11-14 06:43 AM
154 1234 ...
tools
    What good is this if it has to be tied to a BB phone? What happened to BBM4ALL, etc?

If it does not run directly on the computer and only from your device over Wi-Fi or USB then what is the real point?
    Sure, you can use a better keyboard to type messages (irony?) but it won't help expand BBM and you still need a working BB phone right there.

This should be more like the iMessage app for OS X. It works without any connection to a phone (but messages can be sent from the computer "as-if" they came from the phone number). In fact, you don't need to own a phone at all.

Also, was this merely a technology demonstration or was it actually announced - with a real public release date or ETA?
    The dont ******* use it.
    09-26-13 12:28 AM
    This appears to be in line with my thoughts on the RIM Tunnel Service included with BB Link basically enabling a "bridge" to the PC from BB10 devices. First we got remote file sharing, and now BBM, but I am thinking that this will eventually turn into a full mirror of sorts, and really hoping for things like hub, caller ID, SMS/MMS, calendar and any other mobile computing service coming from the phone.

I guess I can dream for now!
    09-26-13 12:31 AM
    I know he was using sarcasm...I don't care
    Or was I? The plot thickens.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 12:37 AM
    I'd be all over this if it wasn't dependent on your phone. I spend a lot of time in front of a laptop or my desktop. I don't plan on having BlackBerry devices much longer and the BBM for Android app has the stupid status bar notification that annoys me. So for me, I'd prefer only having BBM on my PC.

Not that any of this realistically matters since we are talking about BlackBerry and have no clue if this will ever happen or not anyway.
    09-26-13 12:38 AM
    The dont ******* use it.
    Oh don't you worry yourself about that, sweetie.
    09-26-13 12:42 AM
    Forgive me for being dense, but this does need a mobile device with BBM to work, correct? And only BB10 at that?
    Probably. Because why would BlackBerry build something with mass appeal when they can make something with minimal appeal? Jeez, so many squandered opportunities. A third-party developer already built this app... 2 years ago.

Would have to be a native PC app for me to download it. I'm not interested in more networking, I want less. Skype still reigns supreme for our team at work because we can pick up where we left off on any device. Client-server-client syncing.

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    09-26-13 12:48 AM
    Also, was this merely a technology demonstration or was it actually announced - with a real public release date or ETA?
    It was only presented as "something they are working on." There is no indication of when or even if it will be made available.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    09-26-13 12:49 AM
    BBM Desktop? Meh.
    09-26-13 12:49 AM
    I'd be all over this if it wasn't dependent on your phone. I spend a lot of time in front of a laptop or my desktop.
    This is only a problem if your laptop and/or desktop aren't on the same network as your device*. Yes, I know there's some who can't have their devices on them for work purposes. But if leaving it is for security reasons, you probably won't be using any sort of messenger other than what the employer allows.

I don't plan on having BlackBerry devices much longer and the BBM for Android app has the stupid status bar notification that annoys me. So for me, I'd prefer only having BBM on my PC.
    Hopefully it's to be a basic BBM feature available to all.

Not that any of this realistically matters since we are talking about BlackBerry and have no clue if this will ever happen or not anyway.
    Coming soon. Maybe.

*I actually agree with you on the standalone BBM, that'd be my preference. I'm just playing devil's advocate with this post.
    09-26-13 01:11 AM
    This didn't go to well for bridge so I hope the same doesn't happen to BBM. Why not make it a native client On the desktop itself?

Posted via CB10
    I'm guessing security reasons.
    09-26-13 01:23 AM
    So this is basically BBM trying to be iMessage, except you MUST have your phone handy?

The stupid just never stops.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-26-13 01:42 AM
    So this is basically BBM trying to be iMessage, except you MUST have your phone handy?

The stupid just never stops.
    Not only that but assuming BBM is ever released for iOS and Android, it doesn't sound like this will work with the BBM on those devices...
    knownastron likes this.
    09-26-13 01:51 AM
    It was only presented as "something they are working on." There is no indication of when or even if it will be made available.
    "Geez, Alec, we're only into Day One of the Jam and we've run out of any real news to feed the folks. What have you got in the storage shed we can trot out to shut them up for an hour?"
    masque2 likes this.
    09-26-13 01:59 AM
    Most likely just another announcement from BB that won't happen as described.
    09-26-13 02:07 AM
    Right idea almost but must be standalone if they truly want to hit the Mac and PC platforms. Otherswise won't do much good to be tethered.

They want to be cross platform yet cut out the PC and Mac desktop or Linux makes absolutely no sense. If they all can't "talk" together what's the point..

Heck it can even be ad supported on the desktop for a revenue stream.

To bad they're probably not to smart to figure that out...
    09-26-13 02:15 AM
    Going to be interesting to have phone, PlayBook and PC all synced with the same messages at once.
    How much you wanna bet that v1.0 is so bug-riddled and/or feature-deprived that the above scenario doesn't actually happen? How much?

In theory it's a good idea... like AirDroid for Android. Typing SMSes on the desktop is soooo much better than typing them on a 5" screen.
    09-26-13 02:36 AM
    Let's get it out for public use before we start complaining
    There isn't even any confirmation yet. Who knows it might really let u do it without a phone, or it won't even get released...

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 03:10 AM
    Can I be the first one that apps to put your BBM or your entire BlackBerry have existed for years? They haven't exactly been so popular.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 03:28 AM
    Not botherd about desktop tbh want it on me phone!!: (

Sent from my GT-I8190 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-26-13 03:30 AM
    It's another con!

"I had a session with Chris Smith, the Vice President of Application Platform at BlackBerry, and asked him about availability for BBM from the desktop like we saw in the morning keynote. In exact words “no plans” to which I said “so was it just a proof of concept?” and his words “not even a proof of concept”. Ultimately Chris wanted to make it clear that what we say today was just a demo of how capable the USB Host feature can be and for developers to take that and run with it." -
    See more at: NotAnalog.com
    09-26-13 03:47 AM
    This didn't go to well for bridge so I hope the same doesn't happen to BBM. Why not make it a native client On the desktop itself?

Posted via CB10
    +1

Wondering the same. What are the benefits?

Posted via CB10
    walt63 likes this.
    09-26-13 03:56 AM
    It's another con!
    Wow, typical BBRY. Showcase something actually useful and then fail to follow through with it.
    Deanig_12, cgk and mjdimer like this.
    09-26-13 04:03 AM
    Another too little, too late. Unfortunately...
    09-26-13 04:30 AM
    I bet they're now thinking woops, we shouldn't have shown that!

Or...

I wonder if Alec, the engineers, and programmers have finally had enough of upper management and presented this without upper management knowing.

Think about it. Everything great has been done by the workers. Everything bad by upper management.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 06:05 AM
    Go to see the demo. Now, let's see it in the real world.
    09-26-13 06:12 AM
154 1234 ...