12-19-13 05:57 AM
27 12
tools
    BlackBerry Messenger to come pre-installed on LG smartphones | Reuters

(Reuters) - BlackBerry Ltd said on Wednesday that its popular messaging platform BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) will soon be coming pre-installed on LG Electronics Inc smartphones.

Waterloo, Ontario-based BlackBerry said the G Pro Lite, an Android-based smartphone, will be the first LG device to offer BBM out-of-the-box.

The announcement comes less than two months after BlackBerry began to roll out its BBM service to users of Android and iPhone devices.

Should help with getting bbm in more hands
    12-18-13 10:58 AM
    I have seen this just now at Engadget. Its excellent news for BB but what's in it for LG? Sales, marketing?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    12-18-13 11:07 AM
    What's in it...when someone with bb7 wants a need phone...they can keep bbm and use LG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    12-18-13 11:10 AM
    I have seen this just now at Engadget. Its excellent news for BB but what's in it for LG? Sales, marketing?

Every bit counts, if they want to utilize it as advantage. Thinking of this there were anti-BlackBerry device lobbyist groups and individuals here in Malaysia are exactly harping on this point ('hey i can get BBM on a non BBM device so long suckers!" kind of a post).

Though I think its a good move for both LG and BlackBerry anyway.
    12-18-13 11:40 AM
    What's in it...when someone with bb7 wants a need phone...they can keep bbm and use LG.

All Android phones can get BBM - its a simple install from the Play Store.

12-18-13 11:41 AM
    They REALLY need to spin off BBM into its own company NOW. It has the potential to be huge, but not if it's tied down by the rest of Blackberry.
    h20work and m1a1mg like this.
    12-18-13 11:41 AM
    It should help LG sell more phones. When a legacy BB user looks for their next phone, the presence of BBM on an LG phone is a factor in LG's favor.
    12-18-13 11:45 AM
    Like I already said: BBM for all Android devices is available on the Play Store, so everybody running Android can freely install. I won't pass by a Nexus 5 because BBM is not pre-installed. There must be something bigger in it for LG.

12-18-13 12:05 PM
    Like I already said: BBM for all Android devices is available on the Play Store, so everybody running Android can freely install. I won't pass by a Nexus 5 because BBM is not pre-installed. There must be something bigger in it for LG.

i'm going to take a wild guess. BBM exclusivity for Korean devices (you can't just bring in any phone to South Korea, they have to be bought there, and registered there as well).
    12-18-13 12:14 PM
    i'm going to take a wild guess. BBM exclusivity for Korean devices (you can't just bring in any phone to South Korea, they have to be bought there, and registered there as well).
    Yes that's a possibility, but how big is BBM in Korea (honest question)?

12-18-13 12:15 PM
    BlackBerry made this announcement. You can bet that they also made a deal with LG to get this to happen.
    12-18-13 12:18 PM
    Yes that's a possibility, but how big is BBM in Korea (honest question)?

no idea. Don't have korean friends nor do I know Koreans, or the situation.

But if the BBM deal with Samsung in South Africa is of any precedence, then I suspect the carriers are also in play.
    12-18-13 12:20 PM
    BlackBerry made this announcement. You can bet that they also made a deal with LG to get this to happen.
    Agree there is something bigger here than just a "token of friendship from the side of LG" to pre-install BBM. Is this not the same company that prompted people to write their eulogy for BB? So a sudden change of heart???

12-18-13 12:26 PM
    I think it's because samsung and some smaller android vendors in Asia/Africa have it pre-installed. The G pro lite is an entry/budget device.

12-18-13 12:49 PM
    I think it's because samsung and some smaller android vendors in Asia/Africa have it pre-installed. The G pro lite is an entry/budget device.

I think the confirmed ones are in India and was it Vietnam / Cambodia. Nothing else though?
    12-18-13 12:52 PM
    I think the confirmed ones are in India and was it Vietnam / Cambodia. Nothing else though?
    Samsung offers BBM through it's Samsung App Store I think in Africa.

12-18-13 12:57 PM
    I don't know if I can call this good news or not. I wouldn't want people to be buying LGs over BlackBerrys, but atleast it will increase the presents of BBM on the market which might be good in the long run.
    12-18-13 01:27 PM
    The last thing Android-based devices need is more pre-installed bloatware. BBM is available for free from the Google Play Store for anyone who wants it. What is the point of turning it into pre-installed bloat?

Sad part is, BlackBerry is spending money on this. They have so little faith in the app that they are actually paying their competiton to turn BBM into an annoyance for their users. No way competitors like LG and Samsung is adding a new piece of bloatware to their devices for free. If they were doing it just for the fun of it, wouldn't they have already done it with Whatsapp, KIK, snapchat and others? Heck if it is so much fun for them, why not pre-install all the apps from Google Play?

This is a perfect example of one of the big reasons why I like Nexus devices. I don't care if a particular 3rd party Android app is my all time most favorite app ever, I still don't want it pre-installed. I and most other people in the world are smart enough to get the apps we want from Google Play. So no need to pre-install any 3rd party app unless it actually sucks so bad that no one would install it on their own. I'm looking at you VZ Navigator!

I hope it is easily removable for the people out there that don't want to use.
    techvisor likes this.
    12-18-13 01:34 PM
    Sad part is, BlackBerry is spending money on this. They have so little faith in the app that they are actually paying their competiton to turn BBM into an annoyance for their users. No way competitors like LG and Samsung is adding a new piece of bloatware to their devices for free. If they were doing it just for the fun of it, wouldn't they have already done it with Whatsapp, KIK, snapchat and others? Heck if it is so much fun for them, why not pre-install all the apps from Google Play?
    Maybe, maybe not. It's possible that LG gets some patent licensing out of it (or some other form of non-cash incentive). Maybe LG wishes to build a keyboard device without having to pay patent royalties to BBRY. :shrug:

The deal is anybody's guess. It doesn't have to be cash money.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    12-18-13 02:16 PM
    Samsung offers BBM through it's Samsung App Store I think in Africa.

Samsung App store? Ah, then its not Samsung exclusive. It means BlackBerry just entered Samsung's ecosystem. Hmm, nice thing to happen.
    12-18-13 08:14 PM
    The last thing Android-based devices need is more pre-installed bloatware. BBM is available for free from the Google Play Store for anyone who wants it. What is the point of turning it into pre-installed bloat?

This is a perfect example of one of the big reasons why I like Nexus devices. I don't care if a particular 3rd party Android app is my all time most favorite app ever, I still don't want it pre-installed. I and most other people in the world are smart enough to get the apps we want from Google Play. So no need to pre-install any 3rd party app unless it actually sucks so bad that no one would install it on their own. I'm looking at you VZ Navigator!

I hope it is easily removable for the people out there that don't want to use.
    I would be very interested on how you reached the conclusion that BlackBerry paid cash just to install BBM?
    12-18-13 08:15 PM
    Samsung App store? Ah, then its not Samsung exclusive. It means BlackBerry just entered Samsung's ecosystem. Hmm, nice thing to happen.
    It's not exclusive but it's still on there. This is really about Asia, Africa, Middle East in my opinion. Doubt you'll see it pre installed in the states. BBM isn't in my top 200 free apps anymore

12-18-13 08:27 PM
    Doubt you'll see it pre installed in the states.
    I doubt (well hope not anyway) it would happen in the North American or European markets. If it did, it would immediately become associated with bloatware, which is a stigma that BBM definitely could do without. Better they avoided that.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Saiga and techvisor like this.
    12-18-13 08:37 PM
    I would be very interested on how you reached the conclusion that BlackBerry paid cash just to install BBM?
    If not cash, they're obviously getting something out of it. I mean honestly, why else would LG bother with pre-installing BBM?

The fact remains, BlackBerry squandered the advantage they once had and turned the crowning jewel that was BBM into bloatware. How the deals were struck is meaningless, the fact that BlackBerry felt they needed to do this at all is pretty sad though. That was my main point. And it goes without saying, this is all just my opinion.
    techvisor likes this.
    12-18-13 08:45 PM
    If not cash, they're obviously getting something out of it. I mean honestly, why else would LG bother with pre-installing BBM?

The fact remains, BlackBerry squandered the advantage they once had and turned the crowning jewel that was BBM into bloatware. How the deals were struck is meaningless, the fact that BlackBerry felt they needed to do this at all is pretty sad though. That was my main point. And it goes without saying, this is all just my opinion.
    I'm sure it could be a win-win situation, hopefully. That assessment, I can agree with. I doubt BlackBerry would even release a cross platform BlackBerry of they did not see it being vital to their financial growth / financial survival ility at thia point.

However, as much as I can agree with that opinion of yours, I still do have a question that I think its valid. The point I raised was what led you to somehow draw up the conclusion that BlackBerry used cash in order to have LG to carry BBM on their devices as a pre-installed product? I am actually quite interested in what sourcez you perused to deduce or add up to arrive to such a conclusion.
    12-18-13 10:06 PM
27 12