10-29-13 11:08 PM
177 ... 23456 ...
tools
    If this is true the official Bbm twitter account would have reported it.

Posted via CB10
    Problem is that BlackBerry is not really good at keeping an open stream of communication....
    MarsupilamiX and NYC10065 like this.
    10-25-13 02:34 PM
    Forget downloads... downloads mean nothing. How many iOS and Android users are actually signed up and are using it... My guess, is this. Since there has been no official press release from BlackBerry, it ain't good. I'm not being pessimistic, but you would think any sort of good news is worth screaming from the roof tops. Not silly one page ads in news papers...
    why would you download it not to use it?
    10-25-13 02:55 PM
    Funny, Play Store shows 5-10 Million still. iOS has no numbers.
    A day or so ago PLAY showed 1-5M - they have now doubled.
    When PLAY was showing 1-5M BBM was the top trending app in IOS AppStores globally and BBM broadcast 10M downloads.

So - 50% Apple 50% Android? 10M each? Not hard to think of 20M total now that PLAY is showing double the figures from two days ago.
    10-25-13 03:04 PM
    that's remarkable, if its true..
    10-25-13 03:13 PM
    Hype. That's why I downloaded it. Then I saw my BBM contact list was empty.
    10-25-13 03:53 PM
    I didn't even bother. Too many hoops to go through and everybody I know moved onto other messaging clients years ago.
    10-25-13 03:56 PM
    Work at it a bit. Most of your friend probably have it. If not, then they're behind the times!!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    10-25-13 03:57 PM
    Because it's free...
    They need to quickly add innovative functionality at a minimal price, otherwise it won't make it in the long term.
    10-25-13 04:10 PM
    After my son fell asleep last night, I downloaded it on to his iPhone, and am waiting in queue.
    you sneaky ba$ta#d
    Last edited by snihed; 10-25-13 at 05:56 PM.
    R Field likes this.
    10-25-13 04:23 PM
    Google play store doesn't update the numbers real time. I heard its every 72 hours. Would not be the least bit surprised it it is beyond 20 million already. Still a relatively small portion. Even the biggest BlackBerry haters I know have added it. My BBM list has jumped up over 50 people in just a few days.
    10-25-13 04:38 PM
    they might have but i wont believe that source for anything lol

Agreed.

It will be true when CrackBerry says it is true!

Stay tuned....
    10-25-13 04:48 PM
    Once BBM become TRUE cross platform including all tablets then I am sure the user base would grow over 150m hopefully anyways
    10-25-13 04:59 PM
    The usual naysayers of course are going to look for the "glass half empty" perspective.

If "downloads" (ie "installs") was not considered an important figure about an app's popularity, then Google Play wouldn't feature that number on every single app listing. (Right at the top, on my Android device)

Some quotes:

BBM is conquering the iPhone as it tops iOS app charts in 66 countries
    "A day after being released, BBM became the most popular messaging app in the world. By 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday, it was ranked as the No. 1 free iPhone app in 66 countries"
    https://twitter.com/StephenBB81/stat...09419475410944
    "Angry Birds Space took 3 days to Reach 10 Million downloads. @BBM took 24 Hours to Reach 10 Million downloads."
    BBM's continued success is truly stunning
    "On its third day, BBM for iPhone is clinging onto the No. 2 slot on the top free iOS app chart after rocketing to No. 1 right out of the gate. This is no trivial achievement. Nokias HERE maps for iPhone hit the No. 1 spot in the U.S. soon after it launched, but it had plunged to No. 27 by its third day. Morbid curiosity only takes you so far. And that is what many expected BBM to do hit the top and drop out of the top-10 in about a day. Yet the app is showing remarkable legs considering it was downloaded 10 million times during its first 24 hours of availability. Notable early glitches dont seem to have stalled its momentum at all.

It is worth noting that the top of the iOS app chart has a steep curve. The leading app has between 8 and 10 times the download volume of the No. 10 app. The volume gap between the No. 1 and No. 3 apps can be 100%.

Holding onto the No. 2 position in the brutal U.S. market is a big deal. But its the global appeal of BBM that really pops out. It held the No. 1 download position in 73 countries on Thursday morning at App Annies comprehensive global iPhone chart page. The apps success in Latin America, Caribbean, Middle East and select European countries is not surprising; BlackBerry used to hold strong user bases in Brazil, Mexico, UK, Kuwait, UAE, etc.

Holding the top spot in India and France is stunning, however. BlackBerry never reached mainstream status in India before the Android avalanche buried it there. The company also didnt achieve UK-type success in France or the Netherlands. Yet the BBM app is now the most downloaded iOS application in markets where WhatsApp already owns 70% of the market, or even more. [...]

Now it has cracked the top of the iPhone charts in countries where BlackBerry never had real traction, even moving into the top-10 in Germany."
    https://twitter.com/BBM/status/393468255630684160
    "Those weird duplicate reviews of #BBM on Google Play? Definitely not our doing. Love feedback, but pls keep it real, peeps!"
    10-25-13 05:05 PM
    Don't blame BBM if no one wants to talk to you.
    10-25-13 05:05 PM
    So you were expecting it to be full upon downloading?

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 05:06 PM
    So you were expecting it to be full upon downloading?

Have to admit that would be a cool feature tho. A list of pre-configured buddies, so even the caustic and anti-social people would have someone to chat with.
    theRock1975, DPSydBerry and kcdist like this.
    10-25-13 05:45 PM
    How long until it overtakes Kik?

BlackBerry Bold 9900; Q10; Z10 [BBM#6]
    10-25-13 05:54 PM
    How long until it overtakes Kik?

BlackBerry Bold 9900; Q10; Z10 [BBM#6]
    Err, just WTF is Kik?
    10-25-13 05:58 PM
    I have friends (multiple) that are on IOS, have the app, and have NOT been notified that their time on the waitlist has run out yet -- one of them now into his second day.

He's tried saying "I got it" on the email already too -- didn't work. It just locks and does nothing.

Either they're getting slammed or something's broken.
    10-25-13 06:01 PM
    The usual naysayers of course are going to look for the "glass half empty" perspective.

If "downloads" (ie "installs") was not considered an important figure about an app's popularity, then Google Play wouldn't feature that number on every single app listing. (Right at the top, on my Android device)

Some quotes:

BBM is conquering the iPhone as it tops iOS app charts in 66 countries

https://twitter.com/StephenBB81/stat...09419475410944

BBM's continued success is truly stunning

https://twitter.com/BBM/status/393468255630684160
    Considering the funny media coverage about the fake reviews, it's interesting that right now on Google Play it's sitting at an average rating of four stars with almost 210K reviews. I don't know if Google has cleaned up the fakes (1 star, 5 star, etc). But four days in, I'm impressed. And that's with just the initial rollout. Assuming they manage to add Voice/Video/Channels within a few months, I'm guessing BlackBerry will do well by cross platform BBM.
    10-25-13 06:04 PM
    Err, just WTF is Kik?
    A messaging client started by someone that interned at BlackBerry years ago. There was a lawsuit recently that just got settled.

BlackBerry and Kik settle lawsuit over messaging patents
    10-25-13 06:07 PM
    Still #2 free app for iPhone:
    App Annie App Store Data | iOS Top Charts United States - Overall - Oct 25, 2013

Sitting at #21 on Google Play (WhatsApp is #20, Kik is #13, Snapchat is #9)
    App Annie App Store Data | Google Play Top Charts United States - Overall - Oct 25, 2013
    10-25-13 06:13 PM
    Either they're getting slammed or something's broken.
    I would not be surprised if the sheer volume of new users is putting pressure on their infrastructure.

Which is why they were smart to introduce the waiting-list thing, so they can expand capacity before just opening the doors to all and finding them overwhelming their current bandwidth capability.
    10-25-13 06:17 PM
    I don't think 20M downloads is true. Here is my reasoning :

Google Play shows 5,000,000 to 10,000,000 downloads. Let's take 'high' of this range. That is, 10,000,000 downloads. Android has a much larger marketshare than iPhone. If we assume that download-proporation is same in both OSes, it stands to reason that iPhone would have less than 10,000,000 downloads so far.

This means, total downloads would be < 20M.

What does this mean? This means, we need to
    a. invite more of our friends and family to BBM
    b. once invited to BBM, we NEED to talk to them over BBM next few days so that they get used to using that app. If we just ask them to download and then don't chat with them on BBM, they'd soon forget about it and won't invite anyone else.
    While I like where your reasoning is but also remember that not everyone with an Android phone has the minimum required OS to install. So that 10m could equate to a higher comparable number of iOS downloads since many more are able to download it. Not knocking your rationale just additional food for thought...

Also you're right with B. Everyone I have added on BBM I will now only talk to on BBM and have been spamming the crap out of everyone else on FB
    10-25-13 06:18 PM
    #1 in Canada on Apple Store and Google Play, I should have specified.

Nice to see it doing well in the U.S. as well.
    10-25-13 06:23 PM
177 ... 23456 ...