10-24-13 05:50 PM
68 123
tools
    My business partner used to be a diehard BB user, then went to an iPhone as BB7 had so many limitations. He's now a diehard iOS user.

I was a long term BB user until BB10 turned out to be so lame (yes, true believers, it was at the start and the app shortage and company uncertainty still hurts it). I now use Android. But I still appreciate many of the things BB brings to the table so I drop in on Crackberry to keep up on new developments. Plus I'm a shareholder so I want to see how much I'm going to gain/lose November 4 with the Fairfax deal.

Anyway, today I read about BBM Android and iOS being released and asked my business partner if he'd like to try it with me. His first question was "Why do I care? It's BBM.". Then I showed him all BBM could do according to BBM for Android & iOS - Download BlackBerry Messenger with BBM Video & Screen Share - Canada. His response? "That's amazing!". And now we're going tro try it in about a week when the dust settles, and two ex-BB fans may return (partially) to the fold.

This is all well and good, but why did I have to be the one who told him about BBM's features and how much more it did than just texting? I thought that's what you paid a Marketing department for?

Sorry, I know Blackberry's poor marketing isn't new news, but it really hit home today.

Iguess if you want to look for a silver lining, it just may be that BBM will help save Blackberry after all. "Amazing!" wasn't what I expected to hear from a born-again iOS user. And I guess I'd suggest anyone reading this may want to check out BBM and try it with their Android and iOS-using friends. Not because I think we should be selling BBM for Blackberry, but because any product ranked "Amazing!" might be one you should check out.

- R.
    10-21-13 03:56 PM
    The Amazing part will be if they keep rolling this out. Once its stable and 'successfully' rolled out, then there 'should be' a swell of marketing. Execution seems to be lacking so who knows....
    FSeverino likes this.
    10-21-13 04:01 PM
    With you there: get the rollout to all without glitches and then start the marketing.
    10-21-13 04:05 PM
    The Amazing part will be if they keep rolling this out. Once its stable and 'successfully' rolled out, then there 'should be' a swell of marketing. Execution seems to be lacking so who knows....
    as much as i believe your statement is true (and awesome) ... just dont get your hopes up with BB and marketing... we've been let down WAY too much
    10-21-13 04:11 PM
    It's gonna be at the top of both app stores as top free app and promoted as well. Don't worry

Posted from my Z10
    10-21-13 04:13 PM
    My business partner used to be a diehard BB user, then went to an iPhone as BB7 had so many limitations. He's now a diehard iOS user.

I was a long term BB user until BB10 turned out to be so lame (yes, true believers, it was at the start and the app shortage and company uncertainty still hurts it). I now use Android. But I still appreciate many of the things BB brings to the table so I drop in on Crackberry to keep up on new developments. Plus I'm a shareholder so I want to see how much I'm going to gain/lose November 4 with the Fairfax deal.

Anyway, today I read about BBM Android and iOS being released and asked my business partner if he'd like to try it with me. His first question was "Why do I care? It's BBM.". Then I showed him all BBM could do according to BBM for Android & iOS - Download BlackBerry Messenger with BBM Video & Screen Share - Canada. His response? "That's amazing!". And now we're going tro try it in about a week when the dust settles, and two ex-BB fans may return (partially) to the fold.

This is all well and good, but why did I have to be the one who told him about BBM's features and how much more it did than just texting? I thought that's what you paid a Marketing department for?

Sorry, I know Blackberry's poor marketing isn't new news, but it really hit home today.

Iguess if you want to look for a silver lining, it just may be that BBM will help save Blackberry after all. "Amazing!" wasn't what I expected to hear from a born-again iOS user. And I guess I'd suggest anyone reading this may want to check out BBM and try it with their Android and iOS-using friends. Not because I think we should be selling BBM for Blackberry, but because any product ranked "Amazing!" might be one you should check out.

- R.
    I'm afraid BBM voice and video and screen share aren't on the iOS and Android apps.
    They're meant to be 'coming soon'
    How soon is anyone's guess.
    Makes sense not publicising those features when the wait could be months or years.
    richardat and app_Developer like this.
    10-21-13 04:22 PM
    Still a ton of IOS users complaining on twitter about how they have been put in a queue. Apple fans whine about everything.

Posted via the best Keyboard in Existence my Mo Fo Z10
    indie_b and bb624 like this.
    10-21-13 04:37 PM
    I'm afraid BBM voice and video and screen share aren't on the iOS and Android apps.
    They're meant to be 'coming soon'
    How soon is anyone's guess.
    Makes sense not publicising those features when the wait could be months or years.
    But they ARE publicizing these features as being available for iOS and Android - check out BBM for Android & iOS - Download BlackBerry Messenger with BBM Video & Screen Share - Canada How else can you interpret what's on this web page? No disclaimers, "Coming soon!" messages or anything else.

Oh Blackberry, what are you doing to yourself - again??? Pick up gun, aim at foot.

- R
    bobauckland likes this.
    10-21-13 04:40 PM
    Still a ton of IOS users complaining on twitter about how they have been put in a queue. Apple fans whine about everything.
    True, but the flip side is that folks on other platforms are probably not used to broken deadlines followed by queues. They are not as patient as BB users, and that is not necessarily a bad thing.
    Rooster99, xandermac and xanadome like this.
    10-21-13 04:41 PM
    But they ARE publicizing these features as being available for iOS and Android - check out BBM for Android & iOS - Download BlackBerry Messenger with BBM Video & Screen Share - Canada How else can you interpret what's on this web page? No disclaimers, "Coming soon!" messages or anything else.

Oh Blackberry, what are you doing to yourself - again??? Pick up gun, aim at foot.

- R
    Yep... holding the "coming soon" till ready features might have been the way to go, I think. It kills a potential stream of criticism.
    10-21-13 04:43 PM
    I used to be a diehard BB user, but I am very happy that BBM is now cross platform. It looks and performs great on the iPhone! Hopefully, it gets up to par with BB10 soon! I imagine that it will be a paid upgrade, but I hope to God it's not a subscription. That would guarantee that I wouldn't get it. Overall, BlackBerry came through.....FINALLY!!
    10-21-13 04:45 PM
    Or maybe read the page.... it says you need a BlackBerry device for those features

Posted via CB10
    10-21-13 04:46 PM
    Yep... holding the "coming soon" till ready features might have been the way to go, I think. It kills a potential stream of criticism.
    I assumed Apple Fans are use to waiting in line.

10-21-13 04:46 PM

Zing.....

Posted via CB10
    Carjackd and bobauckland like this.
    10-21-13 04:49 PM

... and having the object of desire work immediately...
    Rooster99, KOOLWATER and richardat like this.
    10-21-13 05:10 PM
    Is anyone else using it on Android realizing that you have to turn WIFI off to get BBM to work? I hope this is a joke.
    10-21-13 05:11 PM
    It's gonna be at the top of both app stores as top free app and promoted as well. Don't worry

Posted from my Z10
    Not. FB is tops in Play Store. 500,000,000 downloads. Yes, I meant to put in that many 0's.
    10-21-13 05:13 PM
    Or maybe read the page.... it says you need a BlackBerry device for those features

Posted via CB10
    You know, your'e right.

In the smaller type under BBM Video : "Enjoy this new BBM experience on BlackBerry 10 smartphones.2 "

And in the smaller type under BBM Voice : "To enjoy BBM Voice, you need to have a BlackBerry smartphone with BlackBerry Device Software v5 or higher. Then simply update to BBM 7 to get the new feature."

Wow - "Bait and switch" marketing at its finest. I guess that may work, but in my experience that kind of sleazy behaviour is rarely well received and can/often does seriously backfire. Like I said - "Pick up gun, aim at foot".

- R.
    10-21-13 05:18 PM

hit it out the park!! that dude amoung a few others have nothing except negative to say about BB
    Tre Lawrence and Carjackd like this.
    10-21-13 05:22 PM
    hit it out the park!! that dude amoung a few others have nothing except negative to say about BB
    Let's be mature. Don't ride the coattails of others to take pot shots by calling home runs.

You got an issue with what I say about your beloved platform, say it. I'm here LOL.

BTW, while getting that juiced ball, what did I say that was negative?

Put the defender cake down, let's talk tech or hit ignore. But most of all, let's try to be mature.

LOL.
    richardat likes this.
    10-21-13 05:26 PM
    You know, your'e right.

In the smaller type under BBM Video : "Enjoy this new BBM experience on BlackBerry 10 smartphones.2 "

And in the smaller type under BBM Voice : "To enjoy BBM Voice, you need to have a BlackBerry smartphone with BlackBerry Device Software v5 or higher. Then simply update to BBM 7 to get the new feature."

Wow - "Bait and switch" marketing at its finest. I guess that may work, but in my experience that kind of sleazy behaviour is rarely well received and can/often does seriously backfire. Like I said - "Pick up gun, aim at foot".

- R.
    It'll come in an update later. "Later".

Posted via CB10
    10-21-13 05:38 PM
    You know, your'e right.

- R.
    That's the standard BBM page on the BlackBerry site. Just so happens they have the BBMX banner today as it's now, finally, available. I don't really see a bait and switch but at the same time, there's nothing wrong with advertising features that are platform specific. BlackBerry users and those investigating the option will visit that page as well.
    wincyUt likes this.
    10-21-13 05:39 PM
    That's the standard BBM page on the BlackBerry site. Just so happens they have the BBMX banner today as it's now, finally, available. I don't really see a bait and switch but at the same time, there's nothing wrong with advertising features that are platform specific. BlackBerry users and those investigating the option will visit that page as well.
    Fair point, but they can expect to get some heat from a few cross platform folks that might not know.
    10-21-13 05:41 PM
    You're right - nothing wrong with advertising platform-specific features. However, they should be called out as such much more clearly. It doesn't matter if something is "technically" true or accurate - if people perceive they've been duped or even provided with unclear information they won't be happy. Blackberry can't afford to burn any more bridges.

- R.

- R.
    Tre Lawrence and KOOLWATER like this.
    10-21-13 05:47 PM
    I looked at the page as well....there are two options:
    1.BB web design/marketing is simply clueless...they don't realize, and never thought to think about how misleading it is
    2.they know

Either way, my only comment is that if of those who looked at that page for info, many will be sorely disappointed...the OP is hardly the only one who would never catch/figure out from that page that it's not on the ios/android versions. The page screams the opposite, and one would have to look at the page far more meticulously than most people would (or should have to) to even get the hint that its not.

The upside for BB is more initial downloads - the downside is more disillusionment later.
    Rooster99 likes this.
    10-21-13 05:48 PM
68 123