Interesting seeing the unveiling of the new HTC One today. It appears as though HTC have adopted a variation of the great BB feature to swipe up to unlock - if you swipe to the left on the HTC One you unlock the phone, if you swipe to the right you open BlinkFeed, if you swipe down you open voice dialing, and if you swipe up you go to most recently used apps. There a neat demo of this on the Android Central video review: HTC One Review (M8) | Android Central

Although we've seen lots of innovation amongst Android OEMs (LGs Knock On, Motoroloa's preview function on the X) I think this is the first time we've seen the swipe up gesture to unlock outside of BB10.

Thoughts?
    coachshawks likes this.
    03-25-14 12:42 PM
    Interesting seeing the unveiling of the new HTC One today. It appears as though HTC have adopted a variation of the great BB feature to swipe up to unlock - if you swipe to the left on the HTC One you unlock the phone, if you swipe to the right you open BlinkFeed, if you swipe down you open voice dialing, and if you swipe up you go to most recently used apps. There a neat demo of this on the Android Central video review: HTC One Review (M8) | Android Central

Although we've seen lots of innovation amongst Android OEMs (LGs Knock On, Motoroloa's preview function on the X) I think this is the first time we've seen the swipe up gesture to unlock outside of BB10.

Thoughts?
    Swipe to unlock has been on the galaxy homescreens for a while. Not really a new thing there and looks like they used completely different functionality for the different swipes.
    03-25-14 12:47 PM
    Swipe to unlock has been on the galaxy homescreens for a while. Not really a new thing there and looks like they used completely different functionality for the different swipes.
    Did not know that, thanks!

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 12:49 PM
    Look closer.

Double tap to unlock...
    03-25-14 01:01 PM
    Look closer.

Double tap to unlock...
    ?

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 01:05 PM
    Lol, please look back to the 2012 Palm Webos. I had the gesture unlock then before even the BBOS 7.
    03-25-14 01:07 PM
    This functionality is nothing new. It's been around for quite a while.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    03-25-14 01:11 PM
    Okay, so it appears I've been proved wrong. I guess the next step is for me to edit my original post to make it look as though I knew this all along and that all respondents to date have a screw loose.

Only kidding Mods - perhaps delete this thread instead?

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan and anon5814103 like this.
    03-25-14 01:24 PM
    Even when the screen is off?

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 01:35 PM
    Even when the screen is off?

Posted via CB10
    Maybe not the Galaxy line specifically... but yep.
    03-25-14 05:12 PM
    I would love to see a feature like this come to BB10. They took the idea to the next level IMO

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 02:52 PM
    What I love and can't believe we can't do on bb10 is tap to lock, I don't want to hold down a physical button and then select lock for something so simple. I have flagged this up via different ways to BlackBerry but still bb10 is behind the competition.

I think it is all these little things that make me more frustrated as these should be simple things to address.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 02:53 AM
    Does this mean that Android isn't going to have a consistent swipe gesture for common functionality because all the different vendors went and did their own thing?
    03-27-14 03:19 AM