When will we see one! I certainly would like to update my Z30 with a BB10 based Priv. And think BlackBerry ends a helpful nudge to make it happen.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 01:05 PM
    Likely, not ever. There would be very little return to BlackBerry for all it would cost to develop a phone for an OS that is not selling.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    09-25-15 01:42 PM
    Likely, not ever. There would be very little return to BlackBerry for all it would cost to develop a phone for an OS that is not selling.
    They're not developing the phone... they have already developed it. All they would need to do would be something to make it work on the higher-resolution screen etc. and supposedly the hardware drivers are an issue, but yeah, I doubt there will be ANY new BB10 devices, based on what Chen said this morning.

Someone asked "will there be new BB10 devices THIS CALENDAR YEAR" and of course the answer was NO, but leave it to analysts not to ask the 'right' questions: the question not asked was "Mr. Chen, when do you expect to release the next BlackBerry 10 device?", which would make him "spin" faster than a whirling dirvish: "Um... uh... well, you see, the thing about that is, that, well..."
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 09-26-15 at 11:01 PM.
    Blacklatino and LazyEvul like this.
    09-25-15 01:48 PM
    The issue is not as simple as just putting BB10 on the Priv. Blackberry would have to get Qualcomm to create Snapdragon 808 drivers for BB10. As Chen mentioned in his Q&A it is very expensive to get Qualcomm to create drivers. Using Android is much cheaper because Qualcomm has already created the 808 drivers.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    09-25-15 02:58 PM
    The issue is not as simple as just putting BB10 on the Priv. Blackberry would have to get Qualcomm to create Snapdragon 808 drivers for BB10. As Chen mentioned in his Q&A it is very expensive to get Qualcomm to create drivers. Using Android is much cheaper because Qualcomm has already created the 808 drivers.
    eShropshire?

Proud Salopian by any chance? (I'm from the North).
    09-25-15 03:01 PM
    Someone asked "will there be new BB10 devices THIS CALENDAR YEAR" and of course the answer was NO, but leave it to analysts not to ask the 'right' questions: the question not asked was "Mr. Chen, when do you expect to release the next BlackBerry 10 device?", which would make him "spin" faster than a whirling dirvish: "Um... uh... well, you see, the thing about that is, that, well..."
    I think the analyst's question is better because at least Chen is willing to give a definitive answer. Your question he may just say "I have no details to give at this time" or "I am unable to disclose this information".

No need to spin. CEOs are not obligated to spew future product plans during the conference call.
    09-25-15 03:06 PM
    eShropshire?

Proud Salopian by any chance? (I'm from the North).
    My ancestors were, so I guess I am as well, if I can be invited into the group. My the family has been in the colonies for a number of years. I love to claim the region, I lived in the UK for several years. Shropshire is a beautiful part of the country.
    cgk likes this.
    09-25-15 05:23 PM
    I think the analyst's question is better because at least Chen is willing to give a definitive answer. Your question he may just say "I have no details to give at this time" or "I am unable to disclose this information".

No need to spin. CEOs are not obligated to spew future product plans during the conference call.
    I know, but we already knew the answer to the question that was asked. It's better to ask questions that people don't already know the answers to. And the answer you suggested Chen would have given in response to the "when" question isn't in line with what he's said in the past (i.e. "three new devices this year") so for him to say "no details at this time" DOES say something. Not something good, but we all know what that answer means in this context, and suggesting otherwise isn't naive. It's... something else.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 09-25-15 at 06:39 PM.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    09-25-15 05:49 PM
    What if it was crowdfunded? Unlike startups they already have a lot of the resources needed to get development started, the crowd funding target amount would be the amount they felt needed to adapt BB10 to newer specs (such as scaling, Qualcomm drivers etc etc)

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 07:14 AM
    I second the crowdfunding idea

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 10:16 PM
    Crowdfunding is all well and good but how about just making a BB10 slider with Passport specs? I'd buy one. No need for new drivers from Qualcomm. Maybe only updates for the screen?
    09-28-15 04:42 PM
    https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/...r4us?locale=en

Join in. Let them hear it! :-D

  Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)  
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    10-01-15 07:43 PM
    Crowdfunding is all well and good but how about just making a BB10 slider with Passport specs? I'd buy one. No need for new drivers from Qualcomm. Maybe only updates for the screen?
    Same idea I had yesterday.

+1 for me

____BlackBerry 10 makes me stay___
    10-02-15 06:20 AM
    As Chen mentioned in his Q&A it is very expensive to get Qualcomm to create drivers.
    It shouldn't be. Having worked on one of the driver teams, they are staffed mostly by H1Bs at low pay that are forced to work long hours. You would think after two suicides there, they would put up some nets. It blows my mind how this stuff doesn't make the news.
    10-02-15 10:53 AM
    It shouldn't be. Having worked on one of the driver teams, they are staffed mostly by H1Bs at low pay that are forced to work long hours. You would think after two suicides there, they would put up some nets. It blows my mind how this stuff doesn't make the news.
    Interesting, I guess they just don't want to develop BlackBerry 10 again.
    10-02-15 11:05 AM
    If BlackBerry doesn't want to spend the money to develop qualcomm drivers that perhaps exposes a greater issue. This would mean future bb10 devices will be developed using existing tech with nothing new under the hood similar to what we see with the classic, leap and silver passport, all old tech just rebranded.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-15 01:28 PM
    If BlackBerry doesn't want to spend the money to develop qualcomm drivers that perhaps exposes a greater issue. This would mean future bb10 devices will be developed using existing tech with nothing new under the hood similar to what we see with the classic, leap and silver passport, all old tech just rebranded.

Posted via CB10
    The new "device limit", just like the limited RAM on BBOS7 prevented its growth and continuance...

:-|

 Ahoy, Privateers, ... get ready for some data piracy...! ;-) 
    10-09-15 12:11 AM
    This aint true because we saw a BB10 version at mwc.The drivers have long been bought.BB would never create a device without getting drivers first.Would be absolute waste of all the certifications they gained.They would have to test it on their own OS first. Also to allow of quick release if corporate demand wanted this device. Thsi guy cannot be that stupid to place bets in one place. They have long paid for the drivers Just does'nt make sense for them to not have the drivers.

He's messed up badly. He's over spent on software & now he's just outsourcing everything to keep phone production cost down.Its only now he's relized selling phones is the bread and butter of the company.His software work around vision to generate more money than phones was bull****.There's long ways to go before software makes money.

He's completely messed up on the handset business.How do you comeinto a company and completely ignore teh bread and butter of what makes you money.
    10-09-15 08:25 PM
    This aint true because we saw a BB10 version at mwc.The drivers have long been bought.BB would never create a device without getting drivers first.Would be absolute waste of all the certifications they gained.They would have to test it on their own OS first. Also to allow of quick release if corporate demand wanted this device. Thsi guy cannot be that stupid to place bets in one place. They have long paid for the drivers Just does'nt make sense for them to not have the drivers.

He's messed up badly. He's over spent on software & now he's just outsourcing everything to keep phone production cost down.Its only now he's relized selling phones is the bread and butter of the company.His software work around vision to generate more money than phones was bull****.There's long ways to go before software makes money.

He's completely messed up on the handset business.How do you comeinto a company and completely ignore teh bread and butter of what makes you money.
    What the heck are you rambling about?
    10-10-15 12:04 AM
    This aint true because we saw a BB10 version at mwc.
    We didn't - you saw a BB10 screenprint stuck on a mock hand-set with a really strong back light. There is a theory (and I think its a good one), they came up with the idea of the slider, saw that BB10 had died in its sleep and switched track to make it a Android device.
    10-10-15 02:58 AM
    We didn't - you saw a BB10 screenprint stuck on a mock hand-set with a really strong back light. There is a theory (and I think its a good one), they came up with the idea of the slider, saw that BB10 had died in its sleep and switched track to make it a Android device.
    I'd subscribe to that theory... the market wants an Android device now. BB10 does not need to die, but it's not the crowd puller at the moment due to apps and advertising...
    or can we say appvertising...? ;-)

 Ahoy, Privateers, ... get ready for some data piracy...! ;-) 
    IndianTiwari and cgk like this.
    10-10-15 04:09 AM