10-14-13 04:12 PM
43 12
tools
    I had not realized that BB10 was so similar to what Nokia was doing.

It does not bother me. RIM is taking things to a higher level. Where Mego has static cards, BB10 has live apps. RIM has the peeking gestures. Plus, we have not seen everything about BB10's UI.

I didn't realize how cool Mego is. Nokia should not have given up on it.
    I've always thought that was an interesting call and wondered if it was the wisest one. All I can think is that Nokia was looking at the down-stream support costs, and maybe they figured between that and trying to compete with so many other platforms, it wasn't worth trying to introduce yet another platform to the party. I can see that reasoning, but at the same time it's a shame because I've heard nothing but good things about Meego from the few people who have actually used it.

As for copying designs, we need to remember that were talking about a 4" diagonal interactive slab here or there abouts, and there are only so many ways to lay components out on it and interact with them, and even fewer ways that work well. For example, many people really like how the PB has implemented multi-tasking, and I understand that is very similar to how WebOS did it. I've seen how Android does it and how iPhone doesn't, and the PB's approach is the most intuitive. So the way I see it, why reinvent the wheel. If this is how it's going to work on BB10, nobody is going to care if someone else did it similarly first, only that it does it well.
    05-14-12 09:41 AM
    Through my limited insight (full hardware/software tour of the N9 and Harmattan; leaks, BBW demos, and design documents for application layout and function) I've found that BB10 definitely has it's own unique language about it. It seems more thorough and thought out; as though it is better suited for as mass-market consumer product. Comparing the two, BB10's differences have their tradeoffs, but I feel the benefits more than make up for it. BB10 seems to handle notifications and application menus much better. I've also seen considerable improvements in multitasking (in general, not just app switching). "Application awareness" is much less of a factor in BB10. At the risk of sounding trite, it seems much better suited for getting things done. All in all, I think how things turned out is for the best: the N9 is available for those who want it and BB10 handsets, which have the potential to be much stronger products hit the masses.
    05-14-12 10:27 PM
    I had not realized that BB10 was so similar to what Nokia was doing.

It does not bother me. RIM is taking things to a higher level. Where Mego has static cards, BB10 has live apps. RIM has the peeking gestures. Plus, we have not seen everything about BB10's UI.

I didn't realize how cool Mego is. Nokia should not have given up on it.
    meego has very much live apps. it can open over 30 apps at once and multi task!

ofcourse you dont want to open so many because it will kill your phone but it can be done an its live. meego and nokia have big advantages in terms of free navigation (yes, worldwide almost)..with voice navigation for driving walking etc...its a great device indeed..

and meego is completely buttonless..pure swipe...
    05-15-12 02:56 AM
    That one's not an issue. A TomTom partnership has already been announced.
    im not how advanced tomtom is but nokias navigation is superb..it is also connected to nokia city lens which is an augmented reality app and nokia has the 3d place finder which gives you real picture of the area where you want to go

guess what..the recently announced Apple 3d map was done through buying a company (forgot the name) which has been providing this service to nokia for ages..

i recall months back saying , i bet apple's next 'big' thing will be to market this 3d navigation which nokia has been providing for a while...too bad nokia has developed so many technologies but lack of proper marketing for them is making it a boon for apple..

the 3d navigation on nokia looks great..i believe it will be marketed strongly on the lumia phones...

i dont think tomotom has these technologies but will provide basic stuff...
    05-15-12 03:06 AM
    some even claimed they were able to open +90 live apps on the N9!!

the phone is so simple, its purely beautiful...nokia does not want to introduce it in NA because it will simply attack its own lumia lines..

nokia refuses to release the sold numbers of N9 because many claim that it has outsold the lumias so it would not give the market a bad signal..
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    05-15-12 03:10 AM
    The Nokia/ Windows marriage was an error by Nokia.
    If they were dumping their own OS they should not have tied themselves to one untried OS. They should have kept all options open and released some devices on Android.
    I however think WP is just getting started as the wave of Windows 8 tablets sure to come will swing things in their favour again. Even Android was not made in one day.
    I just think they should be preparing a decent line up of Windows 8 Tablets to be ready at launch.These will drag the mobile business up too. Microsoft products tend to be tightly woven together.
    05-15-12 08:00 AM
    Swipe UI resembles BB10 a bit. Thats all.
    and QT.
    That's because Nokia/Intel probably hired TAT to design the actual Meego UI.

Exploring Tablet Interfaces | The TAT Blog

It's not copying when you bought the original designer.
    05-15-12 09:19 AM
    As a Nokia N9 owner, coming to BB10 Z30, i miss the feed screen, the time display, battery and call display on the sleep screen, the offline navigation. Hope BB10 can borrow these features soon
    Sexy Sadie and QtHelex like this.
    10-14-13 12:34 AM
    RIM is copying everyone just like Wal-Mart copied the original super market, or how new car companies have copied the older ones. The point is that a car is always the same, they drive, they ALL drive. They also have similar features but, what is different is what each company has innovated on their own. BB10 is certainly going to have features and designs that are similar because the core of the phone and OS is efficiency. RIM, Apple, Nokia, Samsung, Microsoft etc.. Have all come up with innovations and designs that work best and when a new product is built these designs are used because they are efficient and make sense. RIM's BB10 platform is going to use all the best innovations and add a bunch of their own. Is it copying? Well yes it is but, does that mean they are stealing? Not at all. They simple take something they know is great and useful and make it even better. Stealing a design and building upon someones idea are totally different. BB10 is gonna blow minds and rock peoples worlds and yes it will look like things we have seen but, will that make it any less amazing? NOT A FREAKING CHANCE!!!
    That is all I have to say about that.
    "We stand on the shoulders of giants"

Z10 via CB10
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    10-14-13 06:25 AM
    Jolla's Sailfish OS is the continuation of MeeGo by former Nokia employees. Some European BB fans could migrate to Sailfish OS now that BB10 is dead.

https://sailfishos.org/
    Sailfish OS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    10-14-13 07:23 AM
    But Jolla is like taking forever to release it's phone

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 09:11 AM
    As a Nokia N9 owner, coming to BB10 Z30, i miss the feed screen, the time display, battery and call display on the sleep screen, the offline navigation. Hope BB10 can borrow these features soon
    Those are some general Nokia features I really do miss coming from Symbian. Sleeping Screen with notifications was a nice thing to have, they just reintroduced it with Glance for Windows Phone. I also had high hopes we'd get offline maps for BB10, yet we only got a very lackluster, basic mapping application.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    10-14-13 09:57 AM
    But Jolla is like taking forever to release it's phone

Posted via CB10
    Companies keep underestimating the time and resources needed to develop a mobile OS. Although, the first Sailfish OS should be in the stores before the end of the year, hopefully in time for the Christmas season.
    10-14-13 10:28 AM
    "We stand on the shoulders of giants"

Z10 via CB10
    Max Weber.
    10-14-13 10:36 AM
    Jolla's Sailfish OS is the continuation of MeeGo by former Nokia employees. Some European BB fans could migrate to Sailfish OS now that BB10 is dead.

https://sailfishos.org/
    Sailfish OS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I'm not ready to declare BlackBerry 10 dead yet. Hopefully they both are options down the road.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 10:37 AM
    I had a N900, I loved my N9, I preordered the Salifish device from Jolla within the first hour without knowing any Hardwarespecs but I will stick to my Z10 as my main phone. I miss sometimes to have a full features Linux computer in my pocket, so I hope Jolla is able to fill this gap. But from a developer point of view I see BB10 as the more widespread system in the long term and since it delivers the feeling I loved at my N9 (somehow a improved 2.0 version) I will stick to it as my main device.
    10-14-13 03:48 PM
    I'm not ready to declare BlackBerry 10 dead yet. Hopefully they both are options down the road.

Posted via CB10
    Just like those poor SOB's over at palm central.
    10-14-13 04:00 PM
    Just like those poor SOB's over at palm central.
    Yah you tell em FFR! You set him straight.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 04:12 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD