03-13-14 06:29 PM
36 12
tools
    BlackBerry's identity crisis continues

BlackBerry's identity crisis continues

To say that BlackBerry's had it tough these past few years would be putting it mildly, if not too delicately for a company emerging from a period of willful ignorance. The Waterloo-based outfit, formerly known as Research in Motion, played an embarrassing game of catch-up in the mobile space it once dominated. An uphill rehabilitation that saw it acquire QNX to build a new operating system, release a half-baked tablet, rebrand as BlackBerry in search of a new identity and, tellingly, hire Alicia Keys as a creative figurehead.

Read on...
    03-10-14 06:51 PM
    What specific issues do you have with the article, and how does it classify as "bashing?"
    richardat, techvisor and JeepBB like this.
    03-10-14 07:00 PM
    It dwells on the past and missed opportunities and not where the current focus is. Things been looking good, bound to be someone to put it down
    03-10-14 07:11 PM
    The commenters on Engadget are not the sharpest tools in the shed; if that's what you're basing all of this on. In my opinion we have read the story over and over again. Yes, we get it. The tech media are advocates of having only two smartphone OS's. Not 3. Not 4. (You're joking if you think there is a strong backing for WP).

BlackBerry is still licking some of its old wounds which are for the most part, self-inflicted. So they are in a good position to negatively criticize and laugh at Blackberry's pain. But that's alright. Eventually the European and North American user base will bottom out (I predict at about 1-2% of the market) and be left for dead. Only the diehards - Crackberry Nation et al., will be the last remaining BlackBerry flag bearers, ordering BBs straight from the website. At that point they (the tech media) will have nothing more to talk about. Meanwhile, Chen and gang will be busy rebuilding the other divisions of the company that no one talks about. BBRY will rise and with that rise will come a rebirth if the BlackBerry. BB10 is not the rebirth. It is the road to it.

So it's time to start ignoring these depressing articles and continue to keep our eyes on the prize. I'm willing to bet John Chen tells his team this on daily basis.

Posted via CB10
    Mangelhaft likes this.
    03-10-14 07:52 PM
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: in five years, nobody will know what Engaget was, but I'll still have a BlackBerry to help me organize my real life.

Irrelevant. Move on. Nothing to see here.
    Bor Navas, newfie1974 and acovey like this.
    03-10-14 07:54 PM
    I'm sorry crackheads but I have to agree with them on this one!

BlackBerry is confused! Bbm stickers? Wtf? They have no focus and it shows by all the different way's they're going!

Posted via CB10
    Ernest101 likes this.
    03-10-14 07:57 PM
    Stickers are there to help make BBM more relevant so they can increase advertising revenue, no other reason really lol

Posted via CB10
    newfie1974 likes this.
    03-10-14 08:01 PM
    I'm sorry crackheads but I have to agree with them on this one!

BlackBerry is confused! Bbm stickers? Wtf? They have no focus and it shows by all the different way's they're going!

Posted via CB10
    They make money.. they need to make money and stickers are proven on other IM platforms

C001B7B16 The Gif Exchange
    03-10-14 08:33 PM
    It dwells on the past and missed opportunities and not where the current focus is. Things been looking good, bound to be someone to put it down
    It doesn't dwell on the past at all. It is talking about current issues that BlackBerry is going through during its reorganization under Chen.

Until BlackBerry comes out with something new and advanced to show the industry that they are still in the game you can expect people will remain skeptical.

Calling every article that doesn't sing BlackBerry's praises is ridiculous.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    03-10-14 09:08 PM
    I still can't believe they hired Alisha Keys.

Facepalm.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-14 09:19 PM
    I still can't believe they hired Alisha Keys.

Facepalm.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. Never seemed like a good move to me. She never really personified BlackBerry in my opinion.

03-10-14 09:28 PM
    The article actually does have a valid point about the company lacking direction with its current product line: BBM for teenagers, Q20 for enterprise, Z3 for developing world consumers, etc. etc.

Despite all the talk about focusing on businesses/"prosumers", the only difference between Blackberry's current target demographic and the former target demographic that I can discern is that Blackberry is no longer focusing on developed nation consumers.

And it should be noted that lost of focus doesn't even appear so much the decision of Blackberry. Blackberry products were expelled from carriers, which no longer want to deal with product busts like the Z10 or Q10.
    richardat, Shlooky and JeepBB like this.
    03-10-14 09:34 PM
    The article actually does have a valid point about the company lacking direction with its current product line: BBM for teenagers, Q20 for enterprise, Z3 for developing world consumers, etc. etc.
    I agree. The article did focus on the negative aspects of BlackBerry's reorganization, but it made valid point about the lack of clear direction.

03-10-14 09:40 PM
    I still don't understand why these stickers are such a talking point. So many IM apps and services have them including the Facebook website so why is everyone acting like its a big deal that it has been added to BBM. No one I know from around my age (around 21) uses stickers but it's just another option. I doubt BB ever thought adding stickers to BBM would be their saving grace and turn BBM into the next Facebook or Twitter and solve all of BlackBerry's problems, so why is everyone else treating it like that?

As far as the Engadget article, it was pretty much out of left field and I wouldn't mind it as much (because there is no doubt that BB is in a tough spot, they have made a lot of mistakes, and they have a long way to go to even be considered a competitor) but that author just took a very small handful of quotes, chopped them up and basically found a way to negatively contradict everything the quotes said. Basically making a negative article out of nothing.
    03-10-14 09:41 PM
    Don't see what's wrong with the article at all. Heaven forbid someone/ a site has a opinion that doesn't glorify BlackBerry. I definitely think the have some valid concerns over where the company is going. Things have been looking better, but BlackBerry is far from out of the woods.

Posted via CB10
    eldricho, Shlooky and JeepBB like this.
    03-10-14 11:21 PM
    Focuses on mainly mute points and what its missed, more than where its going.
    It focuses on points that are characterized by an absence of speech?

Never heard of a mute point before. (Pun intended)

03-10-14 11:27 PM
    Please don't listen to Engadget tell you about Blackberry's direction. Everyone knows a tech business needs to diversify to survive. Imagine if Apple only dealt in personal computers, Samsung in TVs or General Electric in kitchen appliances. ALL tech companies have their tentacles spread in more than one area. Any company that doesn't is doomed; even more than BlackBerry supposedly is. The problem here is that when BlackBerry diversifies they call it "no sense of direction". C'mon man!

Posted via CB10
    wnyjackson, acovey and deptech like this.
    03-10-14 11:31 PM
    Please don't listen to Engadget tell you about Blackberry's direction. Everyone knows a tech business needs to diversify to survive. Imagine if Apple only dealt in personal computers, Samsung in TVs or General Electric in kitchen appliances. ALL tech companies have their tentacles spread in more than one area. Any company that doesn't is doomed; even more than BlackBerry supposedly is. The problem here is that when BlackBerry diversifies they call it "no sense of direction". C'mon man!

Posted via CB10
    How is Blackberry diversifying? What are they doing now, that they didn't do 5 years ago.

Back then, they did Enterprise services (MDM, PIM Push, Messaging) and devices.

Now, they are doing Enterprise services and devices.

What difference, other than bolding a Social Network onto BBM, is there from back then? I hardly call that diversifying.

They did try to diversify their product portfolio by branching into the tablet market, but look what happened.

Issue people have is that there is basically no chance in their strategy other than trying to milk BBM for cash. The only difference is that instead of doing a bunch of OS7 devices, they are now going to be doing a bunch of BB10 devices.
    03-11-14 09:31 AM
    The commenters on Engadget are not the sharpest tools in the shed; if that's what you're basing all of this on. In my opinion we have read the story over and over again. Yes, we get it. The tech media are advocates of having only two smartphone OS's. Not 3. Not 4. (You're joking if you think there is a strong backing for WP).

BlackBerry is still licking some of its old wounds which are for the most part, self-inflicted. So they are in a good position to negatively criticize and laugh at Blackberry's pain. But that's alright. Eventually the European and North American user base will bottom out (I predict at about 1-2% of the market) and be left for dead. Only the diehards - Crackberry Nation et al., will be the last remaining BlackBerry flag bearers, ordering BBs straight from the website. At that point they (the tech media) will have nothing more to talk about. Meanwhile, Chen and gang will be busy rebuilding the other divisions of the company that no one talks about. BBRY will rise and with that rise will come a rebirth if the BlackBerry. BB10 is not the rebirth. It is the road to it.

So it's time to start ignoring these depressing articles and continue to keep our eyes on the prize. I'm willing to bet John Chen tells his team this on daily basis.

Posted via CB10
    At the time the OP posted this thread, there were only 2 comments under the article at Engadget, and neither of them was worth getting upset about, so I'm not sure why the comments have anything to do with it.

Also, it's hard to criticize the commenters on any blog site when there are frequent "call to arms" on this forum and posters from here run to those sites to spew their own vitriol.

WP has way more traction with developers and carriers than BB10 does at the moment. At least here. Yes, there is a lot more support behind it than Blackberry at this point. It doesn't hurt that they are actually delivering good, modern devices to their carrier partners as well...
    richardat likes this.
    03-11-14 09:33 AM
    At the time the OP posted this thread, there were only 2 comments under the article at Engadget, and neither of them was worth getting upset about, so I'm not sure why the comments have anything to do with it.

Also, it's hard to criticize the commenters on any blog site when there are frequent "call to arms" on this forum and posters from here run to those sites to spew their own vitriol.

WP has way more traction with developers and carriers than BB10 does at the moment. At least here. Yes, there is a lot more support behind it than Blackberry at this point. It doesn't hurt that they are actually delivering good, modern devices to their carrier partners as well...
    Well said!

03-11-14 07:20 PM
    Some people really need to grow a thicker skin.... even if the article is bashing ( which I do not think it is ) it is an opinion piece which is essentially accurate... some may not like the style or conclusions... but that is what an opinion piece is... it is not a news or analytical piece.... some need to take for what it is... an opinion....
    03-11-14 07:34 PM
    Some people really need to grow a thicker skin.... even if the article is bashing ( which I do not think it is )
    How right you are!

There are too many people on here who take anything that isn't 100% praise for BlackBerry is hate and bashing.

Last edited by crazigee; 03-12-14 at 10:16 AM.
    richardat and JeepBB like this.
    03-12-14 09:10 AM
    There are no quantifiable results to support the statement that things are looking good. The last results were horrendous, and therefore news articles with negative BlackBerry sentiment should be expected until the real results improve.

Now if BlackBerry had good results and there were negative articles, then I would have to agree this is not fair.
    richardat and JeepBB like this.
    03-12-14 10:06 AM
    Engadget is irrelevant.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 10:55 AM
    Engadget is irrelevant.

Posted via CB10
    It's not important to you but with about 4 million visitors per day, Engadget hardly irrelevant
    03-12-14 11:02 AM
36 12