I am getting very fearful that I will soon have to give up my Blackberry Classic (which I like very much) because it does not work with the Apps supplied by my banks. Personally, I can manage quite well with lack of Apps - there are too many and I have no need of them, and frankly I do not want any financial App on my phone in case I lose it. So I have been happily accessing my bank accounts via my computer. But in September, for both banks, things are changing due to new financial regulations and prevention of fraud. Even just to look at my account, I will have to carry with me their "access cards" and go through a stately dance of putting in various code numbers. I have no issue with extra security and using access cards when wishing to set up payments etc but I do not wish to carry with me yet more cards on my travels.

This, plus the fact that Windows 10 does not seem to synchronise with Blackbery Link any more, is making me seriously consider a visit to the phone shop to get another phone.

Can anyone please throw me a lifeline to help me before I throw in the Blackberry towel?
    08-14-19 03:57 AM
    Banking/financial apps no longer work on BB10 devices. If the browser isn't sufficient for your banking needs, then you'll need to upgrade to an Android/iOS device.
    08-14-19 05:15 AM
    I used to work in that field. There are many more changes coming to banking apps and apps are already offering transactions which are no longer deemed safe on the websites.

And none of this work is being done with BB10 in mind. So if you want a portable secure banking solution I would strongly recommend iOS. If that is not acceptable to you, then a Pixel or Samsung. These are the devices banks test carefully.
    08-14-19 08:10 AM
    This, plus the fact that Windows 10 does not seem to synchronise with Blackbery Link any more, is making me seriously consider a visit to the phone shop to get another phone.
    It might work if you re-enable SMBv1, which is disabled by default now because it's horrendously insecure. Still, having to pull the computer's pants down just to sync with the phone is indicative of the rest of the world not picking up obsolete platforms' slack. Once banking outpaces the anemic browser or the antique Android runtime, then it's a trip to the phone shop, ideally for the iPhone/Pixel/Samsung mentioned earlier.
    08-14-19 08:48 AM
    Thank you all for your comments on my cri de coeur. Not what I wanted to hear but realistic. Pity.
    08-15-19 05:58 AM
    Will say you don't have to throw in the BlackBerry towel... you just need a newer BlackBerry.
    glwerry likes this.
    08-15-19 07:28 AM
    Thank you for all advice on not throwing in the towel just yet. Unfortunately every time I try to download my banking app onto the Classic Blackberry the Bank App says that my device isn't suitable. I have been in touch with the Bank to ask if they are making their App compatible with Blackberry but they have responded "No". I am reluctant to upgrade to Blackberry 10 and find that I might meet the same diffficulty. Further, this doesn't get round the Windows 10 synchronisation issue either. Not rushing out immediately to get a new phone. I have until end of September but it is looking depressingly likely I will have to go down that path. All these Apps are like a rash of measles which I was safe from with my current phone. I like a keyboard. Sob, Sob. Been a touch typist for over 65 years.
    08-15-19 08:39 AM
    Thank you for all advice on not throwing in the towel just yet. Unfortunately every time I try to download my banking app onto the Classic Blackberry the Bank App says that my device isn't suitable. I have been in touch with the Bank to ask if they are making their App compatible with Blackberry but they have responded "No". I am reluctant to upgrade to Blackberry 10 and find that I might meet the same diffficulty. Further, this doesn't get round the Windows 10 synchronisation issue either. Not rushing out immediately to get a new phone. I have until end of September but it is looking depressingly likely I will have to go down that path. All these Apps are like a rash of measles which I was safe from with my current phone. I like a keyboard. Sob, Sob. Been a touch typist for over 65 years.
    I think he meant you can throw in the towel on BB10 , but not necessarily throw in the towel on BlackBerry-branded devices like the Android-powered KEYx series.
    glwerry likes this.
    08-15-19 08:45 AM
    Hey pej,

Don't throw in the BB10 towel yet either! Check your PMs; we may be able to get you going. Out of curiosity, you reference a Blackberry Classic in the first post but then say you're reluctant to upgrade to Blackberry 10. What device are you currently using?
    08-15-19 08:51 AM
    Blackberry Classic. I know it is not the latest Blackberry phone. Blackberrys aren't cheap in the UK and the Classic does everything I need it to do, so I haven't upgraded. But I did have problems a few weeks ago when I tried to get Link to work with Windows 10 (new computer) and somehow that zapped everything on my phone and I had to start all over again! Very tiresome and the phone still tells me I have a BBC weather app installed which I can't see or access. Nor did it lose all my data. Some survived. So I am getting the message that the Classic too is getting as tired as its owner!
    08-15-19 09:06 AM
    Blackberry Classic. I know it is not the latest Blackberry phone. Blackberrys aren't cheap in the UK and the Classic does everything I need it to do, so I haven't upgraded. But I did have problems a few weeks ago when I tried to get Link to work with Windows 10 (new computer) and somehow that zapped everything on my phone and I had to start all over again! Very tiresome and the phone still tells me I have a BBC weather app installed which I can't see or access. Nor did it lose all my data. Some survived. So I am getting the message that the Classic too is getting as tired as its owner!
    Ah, got it! The Blackberry Classic actually is one of the latest Blackberry phones to run an OS designed by Blackberry Limited, the company which has made all Blackberry phones save the Android versions to date. It is running Blackberry 10 as an FYI, so you're actually already upgraded!

Sorry to hear about your issues using Link! If you like I'd be happy to walk you through the process for getting Link to work with Windows 10, or there are alternative apps that can be used to back up your phone that work perfectly on Win 10 (they are called Sachesi and Darcy's Blackberry Tools).

I think the Classic is probably just as reliable as its owner--its owner just needs a little help to keep using it in a way that works for them.

What banks are you using, if I may ask?
    08-15-19 09:15 AM
    First Direct (threatened to close my account but made no difference) and Nationwide. Both UK banks. My software for Classic is 10.3.3 so yes, I understand what you are getting about. I use Link to synchronise calendar and contacts - that's all. Oh yes, and to download pictures when I take them. So not a complicated user. I am just in the painful process of upgrading to Windows 10 and Office 365. It is all making my head hurt! Definitely no new phone until I have been siting in a darkened room for a couple of days after faffing around with my new computers (3 of them!).
    08-15-19 09:21 AM
    How are you currently accessing these banks on your Classic, did they have apps on BB World or are you using the browser?

Will say you don't have to throw in the BlackBerry towel... you just need a newer BlackBerry.
    If you can find one and even then, with everything being talked about on the forums I'm not sure it would be a good purchase.
    08-15-19 11:22 AM