02-11-15 12:25 PM
30 12
tools
    Granted this is only one reference but it does put the risk in perspective.

Latest driving research supports Australia?s hands-free phone laws

Looks like a tempest in a teacup to me.
    Probably not the most dangerous one, I must admit.
    Yet, if you eat a sandwich you'll probably only have one ... while you may have many calls, inducing several factors (search,reach, manipulate device then have the call then put it back in place) that will raise significantly the overall risk. so that you have to sum those "lines of risk" to get the real picture...
    02-04-15 01:15 PM
    Probably not the most dangerous one, I must admit.
    Yet, if you eat a sandwich you'll probably only have one ... while you may have many calls, inducing several factors (search,reach, manipulate device then have the call then put it back in place) that will raise significantly the overall risk. so that you have to sum those "lines of risk" to get the real picture...
    For my Bluetooth headset the call control is one touch on the headset and then voice commands, I can do it literally with my eyes closed.
    Integrated hands-free systems typically have a button on the steering wheel which would be pretty darn easy also.

Agreed, you have to sum the risks.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-04-15 03:17 PM
    Let start by saying half the people driving today are a danger to themselves and everyone else around them. Then put cell phones in the hands watch out!!! Personal I think anyone who tries to multi task while driving either texting talking, either handheld or Bluetooth is just fooling themselves in thinking that they are safe drivers.

When you have two people in a vehicle and talking you also have 2 sets of eyes on the road. Myself I would ban cell phone use in vehicles altogether, and any caught would lose their license for 3 months.

This is coming from a traffic cop, who has seen it all, from a guy wet shaving while driving to couple making out again while driving.
    02-04-15 05:29 PM
    At least as much. Note that all examples you gave are also forbidden in France. You have to keep both hands on the wheel and be able to "maneuver under any circumstances". This excludes approved actions in your car like turn on/of the radio, which are supposingly short actions you can interrupt instantly (while let your device - or a warm coffee - fall isn't something you'll do reflexively).

As a global response: no, you're not as much distracted with a physical conversation. With a phone conversation, you have to mentally "visualize" your interlocutor and/or the situation/emotional state he/she's in. Just remind your last call (on pay attention to the next one) you can easilly feel that your eyes are sometimes rolling up, down or sideways, just like when you want to focus more or react to emotion ... Now that you know that, you should easily notice it. (not to mention : try to remember the road from the beginning to the end of the call ... it's just like it collapsed in no time. In fact, that's a form of self-hypnosis ... but I'm afraid both my English and medical skills will stop me at this simple level lol)
    True, I noticed that, too.

You're kinda zoning out for the duration of the call. If I can, I usually try to pull over anyway. Bluetooth lets me accept the call legally, then I can explain that I'm driving, I just can't allow myself to miss a call, it can be equally costly, as costly as a fine (missed call could be hundreds of dollars of lost income, disregard the "points" on your license for a moment)...

:-)

  Telstra + Classic, Optus + PP, AT&T + PP , Verizon + Classic... why the mix, Mr. Fix?  
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-05-15 12:43 AM
    Grave infraction in Brasil that will set you back worth a mid range android phone or top tier device on a contract.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-11-15 12:25 PM
30 12