Twig Error: Failed to write cache file "sites/crackberry.com/files/twig_cache/9b/9b093e6c755381eaf5b3a2a9d53a115325b340cb51b7a9ad830fdea13f06c9e8.php". (Line 80 in /web/drupal7-20200402123023/vendor/twig/twig/src/Cache/FilesystemCache.php)
08-05-10 12:29 PM
69 123
tools
    While the overall shipments are going up, the revenue per handset is going down. And, while RIM gets a percentage of the monthly subscriber fee, the carrier gets all the monthly subscriber fee from Android. But, it isn't the end game for RIM. It's just time for them to step up and throw some bad *** hardware and software out there!
    08-03-10 09:28 PM
    I could really careless about all the speculation and trend BS. My Blackberry Storm 2 works great for me and it is still available to buy. I don't like android and not interested in the iphone enough to make me switch carriers. If the Iphone makes it to Verizon...I get one as the back up to my 'berry.

Oh and personally what phone you have doesn't matter to me one bit!
    08-03-10 09:32 PM
    I could really careless about all the speculation and trend BS. My Blackberry Storm 2 works great for me and it is still available to buy. I don't like android and not interested in the iphone enough to make me switch carriers. If the Iphone makes it to Verizon...I get one as the back up to my 'berry.

Oh and personally what phone you have doesn't matter to me one bit!
    Good. that makes one of you!
    08-03-10 09:37 PM
    And not one like you 11.
    08-03-10 09:42 PM
    I don't believe these surveys. They seem bogus. Surveys are dependent on a lot of factors that have not be listed in the news. I was bit worried initially after reading the news. But, I like BB more than some stupid iphone.
    08-04-10 01:31 PM
    If anyone is going to dethrone RIM, it will be Android, not apple
    I agree. Its actually happening as we speak; android just passed bberry as the #1 selling OS in America. Go check it out on google. RIM's eroding and sad as it is, the 9800 appears to reveal that RIM doesn't care. By the end of next year they will fall behind apple and android both.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-10 01:37 PM
    I agree. Its actually happening as we speak; android just passed bberry as the #1 selling OS in America. Go check it out on google. RIM's eroding and sad as it is, the 9800 appears to reveal that RIM doesn't care. By the end of next year they will fall behind apple and android both.

NO need to go to google as the link you want me to find is actually IN THE POST you quoted,

and all trending aside, RIM still sold 32.1% of the smartphones in the US, with Android Selling 34% Android will need to find it's consistent balance right now a 800+ growth rate is unsustainable, they need to do 3 consistent quarters before I would say it is anything more than a fortunate anomaly.

I do not think Apple will topple RIM, currently there is no manufacturer with a direct competitor to the Bold/Curve/Pearl, only the Tour, and the Storm have direct competitors, the TRUE Bold/Curve/Pearl market wont be serviced by touch screen, though many of the users could use either or, many will want to keep candybar phones. that keeps RIM in the game in it's self.

They do need to step up on the flash front, and we can hope the Storm3 will launch with all the bells and whistles that people are yelling for in a LTE device!
    08-04-10 01:46 PM
    <SNIP>
    I do not think Apple will topple RIM, currently there is no manufacturer with a direct competitor to the Bold/Curve/Pearl, only the Tour, and the Storm have direct competitors, the TRUE Bold/Curve/Pearl market wont be serviced by touch screen, though many of the users could use either or, many will want to keep candybar phones. that keeps RIM in the game in it's self.

They do need to step up on the flash front, and we can hope the Storm3 will launch with all the bells and whistles that people are yelling for in a LTE device!
    There will continue to be pressure from other devices, and even more so on the business front. Android is going to have a remote administration feature coming out soon. A lack of control over devices is a huge problem, especially given SOX and other internal control requirements businesses face. Also, having a few hundred thousand customer's information compromised because someone got tanked and lost a phone is an unacceptable risk. But, that is going to be addressed.

I am not sure Flash matters. I think the POS browser is a bigger problem. Worse, RIM has known it for two years. And even worse, they did nothing about it.

OS 6 seems to be a huge step in the right direction, but this step is not being matched on the hardware side by RIM. I don't believe RIM will launch a 4G handset before Q3 next year because Mr. Ballsillie seems to be more focused on conserving electrons than taking advantage of new technology on the carriers moving to LTE. I think this will be like the 8330 on CDMA carriers, available, but deemed unneeded by the eggheads at RIM. Besides, OS 6 delivers no capability that couldn't be matched by another OS. It is more of a catchup.

I would love a kick *** Blackberry. One that can do everything any other smart phone does, and do it better. But I don't think RIM is going to produce one. Even the reviews on the Torch comment on the lack of hardware power.
    08-04-10 02:52 PM
    ...RIM still sold 32.1% of the smartphones in the US, with Android Selling 34% Android will need to find it's consistent balance right now a 800+ growth rate is unsustainable, they need to do 3 consistent quarters before I would say it is anything more than a fortunate anomaly...
    Agree 100%
    I think what Android fanboys should really find disturbing is the 28% of current Android users planning to dump the Android OS.
    With an 800% growth in the last year, that means that a vast majority of these users have had their phone for less than a year and already nearly 1/3 want to switch to another OS? Wow. That doesn't sound like a happy bunch over at the Android camp. Maybe that's why they are always hanging out here.

Now I can see a 5 year BB user looking to try another OS for a change, but all these Android users unhappy within a year of purchase? Looks like the end for Google.
    08-04-10 03:50 PM
    Agree 100%
    I think what Android fanboys should really find disturbing is the 28% of current Android users planning to dump the Android OS.
    With an 800% growth in the last year, that means that a vast majority of these users have had their phone for less than a year and already nearly 1/3 want to switch to another OS? Wow. That doesn't sound like a happy bunch over at the Android camp. Maybe that's why they are always hanging out here.

Now I can see a 5 year BB user looking to try another OS for a change, but all these Android users unhappy within a year of purchase? Looks like the end for Google.
    Before RIM "fanboys" get excited, the question to be asked is what are they going to move to? iPhone? Or are they going to move to RIM? Like it or not, iPhone is the most desired device on the market.
    08-04-10 03:54 PM
    Before RIM "fanboys" get excited, the question to be asked is what are they going to move to? iPhone? Or are they going to move to RIM? Like it or not, iPhone is the most desired device on the market.
    For sure. iPhone is a decent phone, I have one. Although I prefer my BB.
    I could see a lot of Android users going to the iPhone.
    Competition is good. The consumer wins in the end.
    I'm just tired of the Android fanboys prophesying the end of RIM.
    Last edited by Jake Storm; 08-04-10 at 04:02 PM.
    08-04-10 03:59 PM
    @exiled bulldog - Storm3 has always been referred to as supporting LTE. It should also be available late this year, or early next depending on Vow's plans for LTE handsets.

08-04-10 04:17 PM
    There will continue to be pressure from other devices, and even more so on the business front. Android is going to have a remote administration feature coming out soon. A lack of control over devices is a huge problem, especially given SOX and other internal control requirements businesses face. Also, having a few hundred thousand customer's information compromised because someone got tanked and lost a phone is an unacceptable risk. But, that is going to be addressed.

I am not sure Flash matters. I think the POS browser is a bigger problem. Worse, RIM has known it for two years. And even worse, they did nothing about it.

OS 6 seems to be a huge step in the right direction, but this step is not being matched on the hardware side by RIM. I don't believe RIM will launch a 4G handset before Q3 next year because Mr. Ballsillie seems to be more focused on conserving electrons than taking advantage of new technology on the carriers moving to LTE. I think this will be like the 8330 on CDMA carriers, available, but deemed unneeded by the eggheads at RIM. Besides, OS 6 delivers no capability that couldn't be matched by another OS. It is more of a catchup.

I would love a kick *** Blackberry. One that can do everything any other smart phone does, and do it better. But I don't think RIM is going to produce one. Even the reviews on the Torch comment on the lack of hardware power.

I don't understand why you quoted me then went on to type this, doesn't matter what Android or iPhone are doing on the back end right now, there is still NO direct competitor for the Candybar phone, which was the point I was trying to get across, I would not accept a touch exclusive phone from my employer, or I would do as I do now and run my own phone along side my employer phone, my employer provides me with an 8330, I wanted more out of my BB, so I got a 9630, and my next purchase will be a 9800, which is the closest to a touch screen phone I think I will ever get. and I know I am not alone of the front of hating touch screen phones,

Maybe Samsung, or HTC, or Motorola will make a quality Candybar with the Android platform, but I wouldn't bank on Motorola or HTC as both make pretty junky keyboards.
    08-04-10 04:46 PM
    As Mark Twain said, "Figures don't lie, but liars figure."
    Do you mind if i steal this for my signature, that was a smooth reply. I can dig it. I'm going to steal it anyway I just thought it was polite to ask lol.
    08-04-10 04:53 PM
    Do you mind if i steal this for my signature, that was a smooth reply. I can dig it. I'm going to steal it anyway I just thought it was polite to ask lol.
    It would do you well to read a collection of Mark Twain quotes!

he had some great lines in his day.
    08-04-10 04:55 PM
    I don't understand why you quoted me then went on to type this, doesn't matter what Android or iPhone are doing on the back end right now, there is still NO direct competitor for the Candybar phone, which was the point I was trying to get across, I would not accept a touch exclusive phone from my employer, or I would do as I do now and run my own phone along side my employer phone, my employer provides me with an 8330, I wanted more out of my BB, so I got a 9630, and my next purchase will be a 9800, which is the closest to a touch screen phone I think I will ever get. and I know I am not alone of the front of hating touch screen phones,

Maybe Samsung, or HTC, or Motorola will make a quality Candybar with the Android platform, but I wouldn't bank on Motorola or HTC as both make pretty junky keyboards.
    I am agreeing with you. Call it a concurring opinion, I think it is going to be the hardware that will give RIM the edge. Not the software, but they have to improve the software at a faster pace. I think the bread and butter messaging must be supplemented with a good browser and then paired with some kick *** hardware. Something snappy and fast. Something that can open a PowerPoint and not die. And not a touchscreen device, just as you said. I don't care to have a slider. I don't want a touchscreen (though I am currently using one.) For work, a good keyboard is a necessity. Again, RIM bread and butter.

A hardware feature that would be useful is a wifi hotspot on a 4G capable device. Just think, internet wherever you need it! With a Berry!
    08-04-10 08:33 PM
    It would do you well to read a collection of Mark Twain quotes!

he had some great lines in his day.
    Still good ones! I am pleased to pass along any nugget of wisdom Mr. Twain left us with!
    08-04-10 08:36 PM
    I am agreeing with you. Call it a concurring opinion, I think it is going to be the hardware that will give RIM the edge. Not the software, but they have to improve the software at a faster pace. I think the bread and butter messaging must be supplemented with a good browser and then paired with some kick *** hardware. Something snappy and fast. Something that can open a PowerPoint and not die. And not a touchscreen device, just as you said. I don't care to have a slider. I don't want a touchscreen (though I am currently using one.) For work, a good keyboard is a necessity. Again, RIM bread and butter.

A hardware feature that would be useful is a wifi hotspot on a 4G capable device. Just think, internet wherever you need it! With a Berry!
    I think Wifi Hot spots are counter productive to the RIM carrier centric mentality, they are focused on Data compression, and talk about the low data footprint BB users have on a system whilst being a fully functional smartphone, a Wifi Hot spot would act as a major data draw, and be opposite of their message.

and personally as a Business user primarily I can't see when I would use it. if I am in a place I am pulling out my notebook it has Wifi access, or I could tether, unlimited data plans for corporate Canada don't exist, so sharing my data wouldn't be something my company would encourage, and on my personal BB, ideally if I need to be mobile I'm using the BB and not using it as a hotspot
    08-05-10 01:58 AM
    I don't like carrying the cable. I saw a colleague with the Evo turn on the access and connect his laptop. No cables or real setup. Because I do a good bit of traveling in rural areas, I find a good many motels with no wifi. Or really SLOW wifi. Or worse $10 per day wifi. Being able to use my phone is helpful. Being able to move the phone by the window while I sit at the table would make tethering easier, especially since that option would be cableless.

There really are no unlimited plans even here in the US. Unlimited really means about 5GB. Anything else is investigated and would probably involve a TOS violation (not supposed to stream movies etc) The only exception to the rule is Sprint/Clear's 4G service. But I am sure there is a limit to that as well.
    08-05-10 12:29 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD