08-05-10 12:29 PM
69 123
tools
    Posted today. Hmmm, this does not look good for RIM.

Most BlackBerry owners plan to defect to Android, iPhone | Electronista
    08-02-10 01:16 PM
    Not me ill keep my berry thank you

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-10 01:20 PM
    i think heavy email and messenger users that are currently on blackberry will be disappointed when they move to droid or iphone. that being said, rim needs to step it up, asap. i don't think the odin refresh is going to cut it.
    08-02-10 01:22 PM
    I am not leaving and neither are my husband 2 friends who got BBs in the last 2 weeks because of me.

08-02-10 01:27 PM

So sad...truly, more than half the users of a BlackBerry don't want a BlackBerry anymore. I wonder why that is? It cant be the competition with better products can it?

RECORDING BREAKING PHONE SALES, STILL LOSING MARKETSHARE
    Dont be surprised if RIM falls to 2nd place by the end of this year, and i know it will immediately tank once Apple finally gets off its exclusivity.
    08-02-10 01:31 PM
    You have to wonder if the results would have been different if Nielsen had mentioned the 9800 (i.e., iPhone-like touch screen and radically improved browser).
    08-02-10 01:33 PM
    They don't list the Perameters of the Survey, so it is just the same bull that gets people to come and read your page, this is a hot topic right now, and Survey groups are going crazy for it,

When I look at the Charts looks like nielsen did about 2000 users, in their Survey, that's an acceptable sampling of the population don't you think?

your opinions are clearly reflected in a sampling of 40 people from your state, wouldn't you agree?
    08-02-10 01:34 PM
    It's hard not to think about getting a different phone platform next for most phone users, with all the buzz about Android and iPhone lately. Maybe they will come back to Blackberry after trying whatever smartphone platform next though.
    08-02-10 01:34 PM

RECORDING BREAKING PHONE SALES, STILL LOSING MARKETSHARE
    Dont be surprised if RIM falls to 2nd place by the end of this year, and i know it will immediately tank once Apple finally gets off its exclusivity.
    If anyone is going to dethrone RIM, it will be Android, not apple
    08-02-10 01:36 PM
    Considering android & apple are touch screen and there is a fairly large percentage of us who don't want touchscreens, I wonder what the charts would look like if all the ones who converted just for the storm weren't included.

08-02-10 01:40 PM
    You have to wonder if the results would have been different if Nielsen had mentioned the 9800 (i.e., iPhone-like touch screen and radically improved browser).
    The 9800, no matter how improved is still not in the same league as the iPhone 4 or its Android offerings (spec wise the 9800 is pitiful). Oh and its going against one of the most popular phones in the US market on the same carrier.

If anyone is going to dethrone RIM, it will be Android, not apple
    The pent up demand for the iPhone is huge (im talking atleast 10 million), the carrier its on...not so much. Should Apple just let it go on T-Mo, VZW, & Sprint it would crush RIM in a heartbeat and do significant damage to the Android adoption in the US. Although as it stands, Android is the one who will be putting RIM down.
    08-02-10 01:44 PM
    The 9800, no matter how improved is still not in the same league as the iPhone 4 or its Android offerings (spec wise the 9800 is pitiful). Oh and its going against one of the most popular phones in the US market on the same carrier.

The pent up demand for the iPhone is huge (im talking atleast 10 million), the carrier its on...not so much. Should Apple just let it go on T-Mo, VZW, & Sprint it would crush RIM in a heartbeat and do significant damage to the Android adoption in the US. Although as it stands, Android is the one who will be putting RIM down.

Even 10 Million is not that much in a 300 million phone market, a large number of people wanting iPhone 4's are iPhone 3 owners, RIM has been shipping 10 Million phones per quarter, admittingly not all to the US, but the Growth required by apple to unseat RIM, is too great, the trends by Android are going to make it a real Apple competitor, and really they will be competing with each other. RIM will still very much enjoy the large segment of the population that does not like the touch screen, neither Android nor Apple will get that segment, which is something analysts all seem to ignore at least when publishing such tiny survey results.

I suspect Q2 2011 will see Android surpassing iPhone in both sales, and Market Share, and possibly really taking a chunck out of RIM, you'll see those 3 all fighting in the mid to high 20's of Market share, with WebOS, and WinMo7 biting ankles
    08-02-10 01:53 PM
    Even 10 Million is not that much in a 300 million phone market, a large number of people wanting iPhone 4's are iPhone 3 owners, RIM has been shipping 10 Million phones per quarter, admittingly not all to the US, but the Growth required by apple to unseat RIM, is too great, the trends by Android are going to make it a real Apple competitor, and really they will be competing with each other.
    iPhone is expected to sell about 36 million units in 2010. Not far off from RIM's 40 million. Also, iPhone sales increased by something like 40% in 2010 over 2009, which isn't as good as Android's 900%, but still respectable granted the smartphone market is growing at a 41% clip. Apple doesn't need to increase it's growth rate to outsell RIM, they just need RIM to slow down theirs, which is not an unlikely event.

I also firmly believe that Android will eventually become the dominant phone platform. There is however one caveat. It seems iPod Touch actually outsells the iPhone in volume, though obviously, not revenue. I presume a large number of those are sold to younger people. As these people get older, there is a good chance they will eventually upgrade to iPhone as they get older and require a smartphone.

Finally, there is one other thing to consider. There's something called the Peel, which is an interesting device. It's a CDMA device that will let you stick in an iPod Touch, download an app, and use the iPod Touch as a cellphone. It's not a real iPhone, but it might not be a bad facsimile.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 08-02-10 at 02:47 PM.
    08-02-10 02:21 PM
    I am very tired of these surveys they are totally unreliable
    08-02-10 02:30 PM
    It seems iPod Touch actually outsells the iPhone in volume, though obviously, not revenue.
    I have heard many users here, to include myself, that use an iPod touch as an entertainment and multimedia device. Then use the Blackberry as a phone, email and scheduling device. Best of both worlds really.
    08-02-10 02:31 PM
    iPhone is expected to sell about 36 million units in 2010. Not far off from RIM's 40 million. Also, iPhone sales increased by something like 60% in 2010 over 2009, which isn't as good as Android's 900%, but still respectable granted the smartphone market is growing at a 62% clip. Apple doesn't need to increase it's growth rate to outsell RIM, they just need RIM to slow down theirs, which is not an unlikely event.

I also firmly believe that Android will eventually become the dominant phone platform. There is however one caveat. It seems iPod Touch actually outsells the iPhone in volume, though obviously, not revenue. I presume a large number of those are sold to younger people. As these people get older, there is a good chance they will eventually upgrade to iPhone as they get older and require a smartphone.

Finally, there is one other thing to consider. There's something called the Peel, which is an interesting device. It's a CDMA device that will let you stick in an iPod Touch, download an app, and use the iPod Touch as a cellphone. It's not a real iPhone, but it might not be a bad facsimile.
    I don't deny that Apple is growing, I am just saying that I think if anyone is to topple RIM is will not be apple, Android is going to catch Apple first, then Catch RIM, if you consider RIM really hasn't released a NEW device in over a year, where Apple Just released their new device, I suspect Apple will achieve it's 36Million units, and RIM will likely still outsell Apple, the gap is closing, but Android is on apples tail, and Android IS going to start taking apple hard now that it is seeing real advertising, this growth Android has seen has been on minimal advertising, as it continues to step up the touchscreen phone market is going to be very aggressive.
    08-02-10 02:50 PM
    I don't deny that Apple is growing, I am just saying that I think if anyone is to topple RIM is will not be apple, Android is going to catch Apple first, then Catch RIM, if you consider RIM really hasn't released a NEW device in over a year, where Apple Just released their new device, I suspect Apple will achieve it's 36Million units, and RIM will likely still outsell Apple, the gap is closing, but Android is on apples tail, and Android IS going to start taking apple hard now that it is seeing real advertising, this growth Android has seen has been on minimal advertising, as it continues to step up the touchscreen phone market is going to be very aggressive.
    There's a very good chance that Android is outselling iPhone RIGHT NOW. I no longer think it's a question of whether Android will take the pole position. I think the question is now who will take second. For 2010, RIM probably will take the top spot in the US, followed by Apple, and Android. For 2011, even if Android slows down significantly, it will probably still take the top position. The 2nd place spot though, is likely up for grabs. If Android can maintain a strong growth rate, somewhere north of 40%, for another few years, they might top the big dog, Nokia. That's assuming that Meego doesn't make a huge impact on the market, but hey, who knows? It might be a 3D phone that walks the dog for you.

All this is ignoring one thing though. Revenue wise, iPhone will still top all smartphone OSes. Nothing comes close to iPhone's $600+ ASP.
    08-02-10 03:19 PM
    There's a very good chance that Android is outselling iPhone RIGHT NOW. I no longer think it's a question of whether Android will take the pole position. I think the question is now who will take second. For 2010, RIM probably will take the top spot in the US, followed by Apple, and Android. For 2011, even if Android slows down significantly, it will probably still take the top position. The 2nd place spot though, is likely up for grabs. If Android can maintain a strong growth rate, somewhere north of 40%, for another few years, they might top the big dog, Nokia. That's assuming that Meego doesn't make a huge impact on the market.

All this is ignoring one thing though. Revenue wise, iPhone will still top all smartphone OSes. Nothing comes close to iPhone's $600+ ASP.

Actually right now Android is not even close to out selling the iPhone, but it is gaining, they are doing 50% of what apple is doing currently
    08-02-10 03:21 PM
    Very smart looking graphs, but i personally will stay with blackberry.
    08-02-10 03:26 PM
    Actually right now Android is not even close to out selling the iPhone, but it is gaining, they are doing 50% of what apple is doing currently
    Well, recent numbers being thrown out is about 160,000 activations per day worldwide, which is greater than iPhone sales. Back on July 16, Jobs said they sold 3 million in 22 days, which is a bit less than 160,000 per day. There are supply constraints on i4 though, so once it's more available, iPhone might sell more than Android, although that will most likely not be a permanent situation.
    08-02-10 03:26 PM
    one thing those graphs tell me: apple has succeded in making clones out of their users. they have made them reliant on their over simplified, feature poor products, to the point where they don't think to look elsewhere for a better one. i wonder how many current iphone users have never had another smartphone, other than an iphone? that 1984 apple commercial is looking pretty ironic these days.
    08-02-10 03:32 PM
    one thing those graphs tell me: apple has succeded in making clones out of their users. they have made them reliant on their over simplified, feature poor products,....
    Oh, I don't know - maybe they're happy with a simple device that doesn't crash often, integrates well with the most popular North American online music/video store and has a massive app catalog that they can use to continually keep their phone 'fresh' ?
    08-02-10 03:44 PM
    one thing those graphs tell me: apple has succeded in making clones out of their users. they have made them reliant on their over simplified, feature poor products, to the point where they don't think to look elsewhere for a better one.
    Not everybody loves the battery pull feature, which I believe is a Blackberry exclusive.
    08-02-10 03:50 PM
    Oh, I don't know - maybe they're happy with a simple device that doesn't crash often, integrates well with the most popular North American online music/video store and has a massive app catalog that they can use to continually keep their phone 'fresh' ?
    point taken. and i'll add one more: does any smartphone have an integrated mp3 player (or should i just go ahead and say it, an "ipod") that is as familiar and usable as the one in the iphone? still, i'll never go iphone...N E V E R!!!
    08-02-10 03:51 PM
    still, i'll never go iphone...N E V E R!!!
    That's cool, everybody has their preferences.
    08-02-10 03:53 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD