07-15-14 11:06 PM
174 ... 4567
tools
    Using my talent of indulge seamlessly in selective amnesia, I imagine that this is exactly what happened when BlackBerry launched Z10 and Q10 in India ( INR 44990/- and INR 43990/- respectively). Only my deepest desire for a BB10 platform forced me to buy a Q10 at that price. That too I had to visit Blackberry showroom three times for the stock to appear.

That situation improved a bit when the released Z30. The price was somewhat ok ( INR 39,990). But by that time I grew a pretty wisdom tooth and waited for a couple of months for the price drop .

This is the story of an ISO certified BlackBerry fanatic. I seriously doubt average Raj or Sita will exihibit that kind of patience. Like someone said before, he/she takes INR 10K notes, go to that 'mobile shop' and buy the mobile he / she thinks best at that time. Considering the kind of marketing effort happens from BlackBerry India, I am not sure an average Indian customer would have even heard about a BB10 phone. Oh, all these are in the assumption that the particular 'mobile shop' even have a single BB10 phone in their stock.

Best of luck, BlackBerry marketing team. Trust me, you need it.
    Why everybody assumes that the average Raj or Sita are the target audience in the absence of any sort of advertisement.

Phew! Even a infant diaper needs ads.
    currentodysseys likes this.
    06-26-14 09:15 AM
    Lol, I really like your humour! thanks for the local knowledge input.
    Thank you and you are strongly welcome .

The more the thread extends the more simple is the question needed to answer:

What is the strategic targeting and the target audience of BB in India with the launch of the Z3 and how they plan the different phases of the product placement. If we could only know...
    Why, it is our same Raj and Sita again. I am not sure how is it in your country, but Ram and Sita in their higher teens and lower, roaring twenties should be in the cross-hair of BlackBerry . They know the 'specs' of the mobiles their peer (pressure) use. They form the beings of internet of things , in fact live in the eternal ether of net . They fancy bettering their friend circle with their latest and 'blingest' gizmos. They can easily loose or tear open their parents otherwise stingy purses / wallets. They are employed in the myriads of call / customer centres, software companies and other sections of the service based industries. They earn pretty equal or more than their parents. A lot of them may be working as system administrators or IT support persons in those companies BlackBerry actually target. They are the eyes, ears and hands of most of the CIOs, CFOs or CEOs when there are questions related to technology. They can influence the decision makers if BlackBerry can convince them.

If you had look at the comments posted in forums that discuss the release of Z3 in India, you might recognize them from the comments - or rather by the way they write English. ' u no wht i mean by dis'?.
    Last edited by divyan; 06-26-14 at 10:44 AM.
    currentodysseys likes this.
    06-26-14 09:48 AM
    Thank you and you are strongly welcome .

Why, it is our same Raj and Sita again. I am not sure how is it in your country, but Ram and Sita in their higher teens and lower, roaring twenties should be in the cross-hair of BlackBerry's bulls-eye. They know the 'specs' of the mobiles their peer (pressure) use. They form the beings of internet of things , in fact live in the eternal ether of net . They fancy bettering their friend circle with their latest and 'blingest' gizmos. They can easily loose or tear open their parents otherwise stingy purses / wallets. They are employed in the myriads of call / customer centres, software companies and other sections of the service based industries. They earn pretty equal or more than their parents. A lot of them may be working as system administrators or IT support persons in those companies BlackBerry actually target. They are the eyes, ears and hands of most of the CIOs, CFOs or CEOs when there are questions related to technology. They can influence the decision makers if BlackBerry can convince them.

If you had look at the comments posted in forums that discuss the release of Z3 in India, you might recognize them from the comments - or rather by the way they write English. ' u no wht i mean by dis'?.
    Much appreciated stating you perception and viewpoint of understanding of your market! Sure things to consider and ponder upon in your comment!

Thanks again! Interesting perspective!

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 09:55 AM
    Current sale prices of select BlackBerry smartphones in India :

₹19,000 - Torch 9810 (3G)
    ₹18,000 - Torch 9860 (3G)
    ₹17,000 - Q5 (4G)
    ₹17,000 - Z10 (4G)
    ₹16,000 - Z3 (3G)
    ₹15,000 - Curve 9360 (3G)
    ₹14,000 - 9720 (3G)
    ₹13,000 - Curve 9320 (3G)
    ₹12,000 - Curve 9300 (3G)

Z3 pricing seems alright in this market where even 3G is still-born. It is an open secret that BBOS is a high-margin line (unlike BB10) for BlackBerry.
    Last edited by mas.quemex; 06-26-14 at 10:28 AM.
    vicky_235235 likes this.
    06-26-14 10:08 AM
    Foolish to consider profit on a handset at this time. Foxconn should make some profit, but BBRY's main concern needs to be adoption. Until BB10 hits 2%-5% worlwide adoption, BB remains in trouble. This device does not sell into the vacuum of an econ classroom. It sells into a market saturated by IOS and Android. Where BB has not turned a profit in many years. Where the stock price has fallen from $120 in 2008 to hovering below $10 this week. Where developers will not develop for the platform. Where Tech bloggers and analysts regularly contemplate out-loud whether BBRY will still be around next year. One of the many, many unforced errors that pushed blackberry into the hole was the choice to maximize profit by producing handsets of cheap quality. Plastic screens and outdated internals. The result was that enterprise users locked into BES only plans began to complain louder and louder about their piece of cr-p BBs and why can't they use their lovely I-phones. Enter BYOD. Enter loss of market share. Enter developer's not bothering to write apps for the #3 eco-system.

The Z3 was announced by BBRY as a sub $200 handset for emerging markets. A $260 price tag is not a sub-$200 handset. If the reason is profit - - it is in my very humble opinion a mistake. In fact, I will reiterate what I said on page 2 - - It does not matter why it is priced this way. It is a mistake. At a time when BBRY can neither afford mistakes or to ignore a single user. Let me remind you all - no one ever complains that a company has priced something too low and no company wants to be seen as not keeping its word.
    anon1727506 likes this.
    06-26-14 10:19 AM
    Current sale prices of select BlackBerry smartphones in India :

₹19,000 - Torch 9810 (3G)
    ₹18,000 - Torch 9860 (3G)
    ₹17,000 - Q5 (4G)
    ₹17,000 - Z10 (4G)
    ₹16,000 - Z3 (3G)
    ₹15,000 - Curve 9360 (3G)
    ₹14,000 - 9720 (3G)
    ₹13,000 - Curve 9320 (3G)
    ₹12,000 - Curve 9300 (3G)

Z3 pricing seems alright in this market where even 3G is still yet to take off.
    I agree that compared to other BlackBerry device that haven't been written off (Z10) the Z3 pricing fits nicely within the existing BlackBerry line up. But if you throw in some of the major selling devices in the market and that list doesn't have the same meaning. When your brand has gone from one of the major players a few years ago to not even being ranked (most reports I found for sales don't even show BlackBerry anymore), maybe it's time to make some changes to the lineup.
    06-26-14 10:30 AM
    ... Where BB has not turned a profit in many years. Where...
    False news. BlackBerry did not make profit for 2 years only.
    06-26-14 10:30 AM
    Foolish to consider profit on a handset at this time. Foxconn should make some profit, but BBRY's main concern needs to be adoption. Until BB10 hits 2%-5% worlwide adoption, BB remains in trouble. This device does not sell into the vacuum of an econ classroom. It sells into a market saturated by IOS and Android. Where BB has not turned a profit in many years. Where the stock price has fallen from $120 in 2008 to hovering below $10 this week. Where developers will not develop for the platform. Where Tech bloggers and analysts regularly contemplate out-loud whether BBRY will still be around next year. One of the many, many unforced errors that pushed blackberry into the hole was the choice to maximize profit by producing handsets of cheap quality. Plastic screens and outdated internals. The result was that enterprise users locked into BES only plans began to complain louder and louder about their piece of cr-p BBs and why can't they use their lovely I-phones. Enter BYOD. Enter loss of market share. Enter developer's not bothering to write apps for the #3 eco-system.

The Z3 was announced by BBRY as a sub $200 handset for emerging markets. A $260 price tag is not a sub-$200 handset. If the reason is profit - - it is in my very humble opinion a mistake. In fact, I will reiterate what I said on page 2 - - It does not matter why it is priced this way. It is a mistake. At a time when BBRY can neither afford mistakes or to ignore a single user. Let me remind you all - no one ever complains that a company has priced something too low and no company wants to be seen as not keeping its word.
    The only problem I really see to your argument is.... does it matter. Would a $199 Z3 really sell much better than a $260 Z3? Think Chen know that right now their user base is BlackBerry "fans", and the are taking "advantage" of those "fans". I really doubt that many that have only owned an Android Device or that never owned a smartphone is going to chose a BlackBerry anyway. The Z3 is for those that want to upgrade from a BBOS device to a BB10 device with a BlackBerry touch experience.

But I agree this isn't the way to grow your platform. Really going to be "interesting" to see the pricing on the Passport and Classic....
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    06-26-14 10:42 AM
    False news. BlackBerry did not make profit for 2 years only.
    Some say tomāto, some say tomăto
    06-26-14 10:49 AM
    Some say tomāto, some say tomăto
    Check earnings, they were profitable 2 yes ago
    06-26-14 10:52 AM
    - Err you do understand that the 'prices' are determined by the exchange rates?? the INR has seen it's biggest fall past few days, so the pricing had to rise, stop living in a shell and think that the world moves how you expect it to, Is the pricing high? yes it is. Is it overtly out of reach? no. Is it better than Z10? A comparison video had shown that Z3 launches apps faster then Z10 (new gen hardware despite lower specs). Exchange rate affects the price in India because these phones are 'Not' manufactured here in India. Will i buy this phone? Definitely
    Same here

Sent via CrackBerry
    vicky_235235 likes this.
    06-26-14 10:55 AM
    OK I have to go back to work - but want to address responses real quick.

2 years is a long time not to turn a profit. Most businesses would not survive this, and hence why they are priced under $10 a share right now. Not that 2 years or 4 or 6 is even remotely important.

Next, why they priced like this, what the results will be, or how well it is priced comparitively to other BBs or other phones IS NOT THE ISSUE. Certainly not the one I raised - so I apologize for my failure to effectively communicate.

My issue, is that BB has indicated since they day we learned about the Z# that it would be a $200/ sub $200 handset aimed for emerging markets. I will not get into the need to expand their market share (you either understand why it is the most important thing for the future of BB10 or you don't). To put the device in those markets at an amount higher than $200 is a mistake. And $60 makes it a big mistake.

Do not say one thing and do another. It is not a good idea. Not for any company, especially not for BB.
    JeepBB and anon1727506 like this.
    06-26-14 11:01 AM
    PS Price here is not determined by exchange rate. This is not ebay. This is not buying oil commodities on an open market. This is retail price setting. Logically, this would mean that all smartphones fluctuate price weekly against the Canadian or US dollar. Come on! You must know better than to believe that. The price is set weeks in advance of launch. Print advertising and in-store displays are printed up well in advance and without consultation of the exchange rate....this is just too silly, I'm sorry, done.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-26-14 11:07 AM
    OK I have to go back to work - but want to address responses real quick.

2 years is a long time not to turn a profit. Most businesses would not survive this, and hence why they are priced under $10 a share right now. Not that 2 years or 4 or 6 is even remotely important.

Next, why they priced like this, what the results will be, or how well it is priced comparitively to other BBs or other phones IS NOT THE ISSUE. Certainly not the one I raised - so I apologize for my failure to effectively communicate.

My issue, is that BB has indicated since they day we learned about the Z# that it would be a $200/ sub $200 handset aimed for emerging markets. I will not get into the need to expand their market share (you either understand why it is the most important thing for the future of BB10 or you don't). To put the device in those markets at an amount higher than $200 is a mistake. And $60 makes it a big mistake.

Do not say one thing and do another. It is not a good idea. Not for any company, especially not for BB.
    This is an excellent point, the price itself is not so bad but they clearly said it would be sub $200. Maybe they were referring just to Indonesia but that wasn't clear. If Chen had promised a sub $300 phone the price today would actually seem quite decent. It's all about perception I guess.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 11:11 AM
    .......Really going to be "interesting" to see the pricing on the Passport and Classic....
    ...Shivers....!!!

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    06-26-14 11:46 AM
    It's actually quite laughable that some of you here are still thinking that Blackberry will miraculously somehow pull market share away from cheap Androids. I think it really doesn't matter how close in price they get to the cheap Android's, because I think people that have decided to buy an Android will by an Android anyway and not even consider a BB. What I've been reading from JC is basically if BB does not sell enough phones at a profit to make a profit they will simply get out of the phone business altogether. If and when that happens we all move on and will complain about our Android's and iPhones. At the end of the day these are all JUST phones so if BB stops making phones - so be it and even though I've been a loyal BB user I will move on - No big deal but I WILL refrain from being an armchair CEO as I'm pretty sure JC is not a stupid man and is a lot more qualified than I am.
    06-26-14 12:15 PM
    It's actually quite laughable that some of you here are still thinking that Blackberry will miraculously somehow pull market share away from cheap Androids. I think it really doesn't matter how close in price they get to the cheap Android's, because I think people that have decided to buy an Android will by an Android anyway and not even consider a BB. What I've been reading from JC is basically if BB does not sell enough phones at a profit to make a profit they will simply get out of the phone business altogether. If and when that happens we all move on and will complain about our Android's and iPhones. At the end of the day these are all JUST phones so if BB stops making phones - so be it and even though I've been a loyal BB user I will move on - No big deal but I WILL refrain from being an armchair CEO as I'm pretty sure JC is not a stupid man and is a lot more qualified than I am.
    I disagree! There have been loads of people commenting all over the place saying that they would have bought the device if the price had been between 10-12k... I've spoken to random people (not a stalker :P...they were interested in my Z10) and all of them were amazed with the new phone! Most of them were android users and wanted to get rid of the same for reasons ranging from software glitches to random reboots... so the demand for different devices is there and bb10 adoption can be bolstered if a proper marketing scheme is set in place...

MATVD - Movies, Advertisements, Tv Shows and Documentaries! The Largest Entertainment Channel out there! Join now!
    06-26-14 01:25 PM
    Here is something very important.
    These are comments of potential buyers and most of them say expensive

Here is the link> BlackBerry Z3 - User opinions and reviews
    Guys read those comments.
    CrackBerry is a BlackBerry fan site and I for one will always defend BlackBerry first and then think about it later.

Those comments are from people who are probably no BlackBerry fans but potential buyers.
    06-26-14 01:44 PM
    Here is something very important.
    These are comments of potential buyers and most of them say expensive

Here is the link> BlackBerry Z3 - User opinions and reviews
    Guys read those comments.
    CrackBerry is a BlackBerry fan site and I for one will always defend BlackBerry first and then think about it later.

Those comments are from people who are probably no BlackBerry fans but potential buyers.
    To me it seems to be a marketing gimmick. I know people are paid to write such one liners and also to counter them.

Dark side of Internet!
    mas_quemex likes this.
    06-26-14 02:46 PM
    Never doubted you boss, I'd hate to see what the LTE version would be priced at!
    true said.. bb hav a standard it should go for this only.......

Sent from pin:2AD743B7 on Tapatalk Pro
    06-26-14 04:20 PM
    think it really doesn't matter how close in price they get to the cheap Android's, because I think people that have decided to buy an Android will by an Android anyway and not even consider a BB.
    That is definitely not true. Windows Phone has achieved significant (READ: 20%+) marketshare in a some SouthEast Asian countries by pricing their products at a low price.

It's simply that what fans on Crackberry claim to be a bottom barrel, low end for developed nation like the United States isn't really a low price or great value for many markets Blackberry is currently marketing. 200 USD is a fortune in countries like Indonesia or India where even "middle class" workers earn less 3x that of the average US worker.

I think the Z3 would hit the sweet spot at 40 or 50 USD unlocked. Many will claim that Blackberry isn't Microsoft and it can't be done; but, it doesn't take away from the fact that individuals in many developing countries would consider BB10 (or rather ignore the fact it is not Android) for the right price.
    06-26-14 04:42 PM
    I don't think there is any potential Buyers hear on this site from India. Probably nobody from India hear at all just a bunch of people bull s**ting. Any opportunity to slag BlackBerry we probability won't get any real news for several months.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 05:04 PM
    I don't think there is any potential Buyers hear on this site from India. Probably nobody from India hear at all just a bunch of people bull s**ting. Any opportunity to slag BlackBerry we probability won't get any real news for several months.

Posted via CB10
    Wrong

I pre ordered my 3 at flipkart
    vicky_235235 likes this.
    06-26-14 10:49 PM
    That is definitely not true. Windows Phone has achieved significant (READ: 20%+) marketshare in a some SouthEast Asian countries by pricing their products at a low price.

It's simply that what fans on Crackberry claim to be a bottom barrel, low end for developed nation like the United States isn't really a low price or great value for many markets Blackberry is currently marketing. 200 USD is a fortune in countries like Indonesia or India where even "middle class" workers earn less 3x that of the average US worker.

I think the Z3 would hit the sweet spot at 40 or 50 USD unlocked. Many will claim that Blackberry isn't Microsoft and it can't be done; but, it doesn't take away from the fact that individuals in many developing countries would consider BB10 (or rather ignore the fact it is not Android) for the right price.
    LOL at $40 or $50 US - You really are wanting Blackberry to get out of the handset business don't you? How can they make any money selling phones at that price? In some ways, I kind of hope they do stop making handsets altogether so we don't have anything more to complain about with them.
    06-27-14 12:10 AM

Posted via CB10
    Hahaha...well Mr. Know-it-all, first learn how to spell then come back to us... I'm from India and from what I can see, you're the only one who's complaining... I think we need to start a Blackberry Fact Check of our own :P

MATVD - Movies, Advertisements, Tv Shows and Documentaries! The Largest Entertainment Channel out there! Join now!
    06-27-14 01:23 AM
174 ... 4567