07-15-14 11:06 PM
174 ... 34567
tools
    on flipkart the current price Rs15999 is Rs1000 less during checkout.. so it comes to Rs14999.
    06-26-14 03:13 AM
    WOW! This is hysterical!

Please don't do a BGR on BlackBerry. Even BGR is soft on this issue.
    BlackBerry Z3 launched in India, priced at Rs 15,990 | Latest Tech News, Video & Photo Reviews at BGR India

Since there is no advertisement AFAIK leading to this launch except news (in planted), I hope this will not bounce back. Though news articles carried those 11K price tag before, post launch the news front is putting specs before price. Evidence: Blackberry Z3 launched at Rs 15,990, pre-booking on | The Indian Express and this BlackBerry Z3 to be launched in India: 5 reasons why the latest BlackBerry will be worth a buy | Latest News & Gossip on Popular Trends at India.com

I really think guys here just put "2200000 idr to inr" in Google and boom, they got the Indian price. It never works though as mentioned in previous posts.

That apart, even a zero price tag will not attract the crowd people are referring here if the price is 12K. I am sure JC's target audience are those consumers who have used BB before (curve largely) but moved/planning to move to other platforms as there is no affordable touch devices from BBRY and usual App-blah-blah. Maintain the user base. In Indonesia, that was the target and India that is the target and in middle east that will be the target. Just look in to the order of countries they are trying.

Once this will turn heads towards BB devices, they can think of attracting Android oriented crowd but that's a long shot which will require.....Marketing.

I also remember JC mentioned in one Jakarta article that there are some supply chain constraints with Foxconn and that could have led to revised strategic pricing. That's my assumption.

As far as the pricing of Z3 around Z10, I will be happy if the consumer turns up for Z3 but goes out with Z10 because he thinks that is a smart decision. And JC too.
    currentodysseys and gokulesh like this.
    06-26-14 03:35 AM
    I agree with you, no one said that most (the average) consumers will proceed with such analisys; it was never pictured like this in the thread, at least to my understanding it is the other way around...
    The company that produces/sells the product does this in order to clarify their go to market strategy and they place a price tag on each stage of the project. So, this is what we are talking about... how BB might be pricing this and how it might end up. We are just discussing possibilities here, just like in most forums :-P

Maybe you do not need to know, nor are interested in that "stuff", or following a conversation that might show you an aspect or opinion that you have not thought of or be interested in before, but to ask that the rest of the people "stop talking about stuff" you deem as "not interesting" nor "understandable"... well you know... sorry, will not comply on that one...

Thanks.

PS: I agree on your remark on brand perception being needy of a recovery regarding BB, I think BB also already knows that only very well.
    Lol no need to get defensive...I'm not stopping anyone from saying anything...but sometimes "over analyzing" the situation doesn't really give us a clearer picture of things..it kind of detracts from the original argument.. we can keep on talking about what they "would have done" but the fact remains...why can't they price their products to suit the market? From the very beginning they've marketed the Z3 as an entry level sub 200$ phone...I think as a company the first thing you have to do is stick to what you say and honour it... marketing in India is non existent btw, but I digress... but then "people" defend the same because of strict tax laws... I'm sorry but that's just not going to hold in the minds of the consumers... we all want the BlackBerry brand to succeed and I apologize if I offended anyone in the process ...

Thanks

MATVD - Movies, Advertisements, Tv Shows and Documentaries! The Largest Entertainment Channel out there! Join now!
    JeepBB and currentodysseys like this.
    06-26-14 03:44 AM
    JTaylor, good you brought this up. If I am not mistaken (with all honestly, please correct me if I am) PPP (for the Z3 with a USD 200 parice tag for US standards), the phone would be about 3.3times more expensive in India.
    This. Using the PPP argument the Z3 should be significantly cheaper (like 1/3rd of the US cost) in India. Nominal GDP is around 1500 while GDP by PPP is around 4300.

Furthermore, PPP is never intended to be used on brand name tech products, anyway. Everyone knows that brand name tech products are cheaper in the United States than any other country in the world. PPP is used to compare basic necessities like dairy, bread, and other commodities.

Not only that, few multinationals are concerned about PPP when pricing products. Their concern is always repatriating their profits into their home currency in which their balance sheet is calculated with. Fluctuations in the US are more infrequent because the USD is an eurocurrency and many large corporations are American.

People on here talking about economics and throwing around concepts they are grossly unfamiliar with.
    currentodysseys and JeepBB like this.
    06-26-14 04:13 AM
    Lol no need to get defensive...I'm not stopping anyone from saying anything...but sometimes "over analyzing" the situation doesn't really give us a clearer picture of things..it kind of detracts from the original argument.. we can keep on talking about what they "would have done" but the fact remains...why can't they price their products to suit the market? From the very beginning they've marketed the Z3 as an entry level sub 200$ phone...I think as a company the first thing you have to do is stick to what you say and honour it... marketing in India is non existent btw, but I digress... but then "people" defend the same because of strict tax laws... I'm sorry but that's just not going to hold in the minds of the consumers... we all want the BlackBerry brand to succeed and I apologize if I offended anyone in the process ...

Thanks

MATVD - Movies, Advertisements, Tv Shows and Documentaries! The Largest Entertainment Channel out there! Join now!
    Thank you very much for your answer! Sincerely I was not being defensive, I think I misunderstood your "tone" so to speak; I certainly did not feel offended and in my turn please, accept my apologies if my previous post came across that way!

In essence I think we are in agreement, as far as consumer perception is concerned. What I was trying to point out though was, that in my understanding, we were trying to see into "the way BB moves" with the Z3. In order to do that, the approach was to try and understand (albeit through assumptions, as this is the best we can do being on the 'outside') how BB positions the phone and what they might have in mind.

This is why I personally believe that trying to understand BB's positioning is important in this case, since obviously the market will behave the way it will, and largely I believe your points concerning consumer behaviour to be valid as i stated in my previous post.

Where we disagree is, that I do not believe that pricing strategy is a linear process and I am just pointing out that it is normal to start up higher and gradually adjust in the various cycle phases of selling a product. The assumption would therefore be, from my part, that they are most probably pricing in order to suit different segments in different stages of the sale, or that the "name" price tag will, as suggested by others, probably result in a retail price much closer to 200USD for the main batch of phones sold. If they achieve selling (tops) -24% less than projected with a 200USD price initially in the launch phase with 25% increase in price (as per 250 aprox being the initial tag price), they will have achieved a 1% revenue increase. Finally, I do think that part of this name-price tag will be used as a discount marging in the retail distribution, in order to present an "added" value (via "initial price" -i.e name price tag) when the retail shops "discount" at aprox 200USD.

Hope I cleared up any misunderstandings, and once again, my apologies if I have offended, it was not my intention.

Thank you and all the best!
    06-26-14 04:20 AM
    Ok, I have just went online to check and obtain some perspective. The phone still goes at 14999 for the indian market but the online comparison suggestions by the very selling sites with other mobiles gave me a perspective on how the phone is perceived and placed against competition. In that sense and judging from the pricing of possible alternative handsets presented as the direct competitors by the sites, I honestly believe that pricing of the Z3 is very well informed, unless the online sellers are taking the p*** out of us all.

So my perception now is, that it is not that the phone is too expensive, it is that people's expectations in buying it at 200USD make people complain because they "want this phone" but it is higher on price than what they wanted it (or presented earlier to be). That does not make it expensive when compared with the direct competition though (with the exeption of nokia XL, which pesonaly I consider is nothing close to the Z3, not to mention that it is not an android, which is what has been presented in various posts and other sources of info, as primary OS preference for the market in question)
    1.Expectation of price / 2.pricing placement in market conditions and product placement. These are two diferent things... just another point of view. Below the screenshots for your consideration

PS: look at the last picture on the Z10... that really is something to bring up a red light... especially considering the cross sale of Z10 via placement of Z3 would generate much more revenue/profit potential, given the write off of great part of Z10 stock... just saying... (Also the comparisons of 4,3k people comparing the XL to the Z3 -finding the z3 as better in terms of analysis on the site based on the info seen in the pic- and then... 3,5k comparing with the Z10... I think BB is going for the 2birds with one stone move and is focused on revenue, at least seems like it, in this first launch stage (my take on it at least).

The more I look at it, the more I think Chen and his team are doing it right... but as always, that is just a personal opinion worth less than a dime.

all the best.

Blackberry Z3 Price in India (26 Jun 2014)
    Bad move BlackBerry! (Z3 pricing in India)-2014-06-26-12.56.16.png
    Bad move BlackBerry! (Z3 pricing in India)-2014-06-26-12.57.15.png

and from Blackberry Z3 Price in India on 26 June 2014, Z3 Release Date and Specifications | 91mobiles.com

Bad move BlackBerry! (Z3 pricing in India)-2014-06-26-12.59.21.png

Bad move BlackBerry! (Z3 pricing in India)-2014-06-26-12.59.41.png
    Attached Thumbnails Bad move BlackBerry! (Z3 pricing in India)-2014-06-26-12.56.36.png  
    Last edited by currentodysseys; 06-26-14 at 05:27 AM.
    06-26-14 05:12 AM
    Thank you very much for your answer! Sincerely I was not being defensive, I think I misunderstood your "tone" so to speak; I certainly did not feel offended and in my turn please, accept my apologies if my previous post came across that way!

In essence I think we are in agreement, as far as consumer perception is concerned. What I was trying to point out though was, that in my understanding, we were trying to see into "the way BB moves" with the Z3. In order to do that, the approach was to try and understand (albeit through assumptions, as this is the best we can do being on the 'outside') how BB positions the phone and what they might have in mind.

This is why I personally believe that trying to understand BB's positioning is important in this case, since obviously the market will behave the way it will, and largely I believe your points concerning consumer behaviour to be valid as i stated in my previous post.

Where we disagree is, that I do not believe that pricing strategy is a linear process and I am just pointing out that it is normal to start up higher and gradually adjust in the various cycle phases of selling a product. The assumption would therefore be, from my part, that they are most probably pricing in order to suit different segments in different stages of the sale, or that the "name" price tag will, as suggested by others, probably result in a retail price much closer to 200USD for the main batch of phones sold. If they achieve selling (tops) -24% less than projected with a 200USD price initially in the launch phase with 25% increase in price (as per 250 aprox being the initial tag price), they will have achieved a 1% revenue increase. Finally, I do think that part of this name-price tag will be used as a discount marging in the retail distribution, in order to present an "added" value (via "initial price" -i.e name price tag) when the retail shops "discount" at aprox 200USD.

Hope I cleared up any misunderstandings, and once again, my apologies if I have offended, it was not my intention.

Thank you and all the best!
    No you haven't! great analysis btw!... slightly off topic, but saw another white Z10 today! People still love their BlackBerrys here and I hope it stays that way

currentodysseys likes this.
    06-26-14 05:19 AM
    I think it's going for 200 USD in Dubai, not sure if that is expensive, but if compared with windows XL android, and moto g, they are retailing at a lower price.

I pre-booked one, they say 1st July will deliver.
    06-26-14 05:25 AM
    Lol!! Can anyone tell the crowd reasons to buy z3
    Bad move BlackBerry! (Z3 pricing in India)-img_20140626_152652.png
    Bad move BlackBerry! (Z3 pricing in India)-img_20140626_152708.png
    Bad move BlackBerry! (Z3 pricing in India)-img_20140626_152717.png
    Bad move BlackBerry! (Z3 pricing in India)-img_20140626_152720.png
    Bad move BlackBerry! (Z3 pricing in India)-img_20140626_152740.png
    Bad move BlackBerry! (Z3 pricing in India)-img_20140626_152805.png

If interested to give comments hit the link http://www.igyaan.in/78695/blackberry-z3-2/

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    currentodysseys likes this.
    06-26-14 05:29 AM
    @vicky_235235

Actually this to my eyes suggests once again that the Z3 (and the possible attempt on diverting part of the interest towards the Z10) are well thought moves from BB. The phone I think will do quite well and when the price tag drops a little, it will then sell really really well if BB has anticipated well their competition and counter-actions... lets see. this is getting really interesting
    06-26-14 05:44 AM
    But what's the point in selling less devices on newly launched phone and selling a year old phone again!! Jus simply no logic!!! Launch a new device expecting good sell of devices but instead of this BlackBerry has done opposite of what was expected!!
    06-26-14 06:06 AM
    And well no one said 200 usd price tag!! It was BlackBerry who gave that price tag and now u cant deliver what u said!!
    06-26-14 06:08 AM
    The thing that makes sense here is that devices that flood the market are disposable.
    Cheap tech equates to e- waste and you don't need a degree or poor stats to understand my point.
    Consumerism at its best. Q
    We should not take a chill pill regarding phenomenon because the more we buy cheap the more we waste and who makes the profits again???

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 06:22 AM
    But what's the point in selling less devices on newly launched phone and selling a year old phone again!! Jus simply no logic!!! Launch a new device expecting good sell of devices but instead of this BlackBerry has done opposite of what was expected!!
    It is about handling demand - offer and creating expectations. For every Z10 they sell they make more profit due to the write off of inventory (if I have understood that play right, that is). That does not mean they will not sell the z3. Also, at a second phase I am sure the price of the z3 will drop. Quite common sales practice in a way, at least to my undertanding.

As per your other post regarding the 200USD benchmark, I get you are annoyed and had other expectations on this. I guess BB would be the only one able to answer all of our questions and assumptions that have been going on in the thread. All we can do is suppose.

In any way, if you can wait a couple of months, I am sure the z3 price will drop way closer to the 200USD expected, so if you really want the phone, just wait it out a bit, would be your answer.
    vicky_235235 likes this.
    06-26-14 06:33 AM
    The thing that makes sense here is that devices that flood the market are disposable.
    Cheap tech equates to e- waste and you don't need a degree or poor stats to understand my point.
    We should not take a chill pill regarding phenomenon because the more we buy cheap the more we waste and who makes the profits again???

Posted via CB10
    Tech waste is indeed a quite big issue but I much doubt it can be discussed in this thread... I am with you on that it should be something we should be conscious and proactive about, at least as consumers (which is the part we can actively contribute, for us that are not in the production side of the industry that is).
    06-26-14 06:34 AM

Posted via CB10
    What we in the developed nations consider "disposable" an Indonesian or Indian will be using for 4 or 5 years. With all the hype about emerging markets it is often easy to forget that the average citizen in one of those places earn 10 to 20 times less than we do in a year and that even their "middle class" earns multiple times less than an average American worker. A large portion of these nations don't even own smartphones because even a $100 device is so expensive to them. A $50 Android in India is like an iPhone in the United States without all the prestige.
    06-26-14 06:45 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yet you posted this comment using a phone, computer, or tablet. And the thing you're using is not part of e-waste?
    06-26-14 06:54 AM
    Everyone suggesting that Z3 pricing is meant to drive sales of the Z10.... have drank too much of the BlackBerry Juice.

You are assuming there is a demand and desire for BlackBerry products, and we have seen over the last year that isn't the case. BlackBerry has sold fewer BBOS devices in India and while their have been a few reports of Z10 selling out recently, sales are still dropping over all. You don't try and pull some bait and switch scheme while you are losing marketshare, much less your existing user base.

You guys just wait till the Passport and Classic prices get announced....
    06-26-14 07:28 AM
    Wow, Z3 and Z10 almost the same price? Is Chen pulling of a Batman Gambit to have consumers buy either?

Q10 | Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.3247 | Globe PH
    06-26-14 07:35 AM
    This. Using the PPP argument the Z3 should be significantly cheaper (like 1/3rd of the US cost) in India. Nominal GDP is around 1500 while GDP by PPP is around 4300.
    Using my talent of indulge seamlessly in selective amnesia, I imagine that this is exactly what happened when BlackBerry launched Z10 and Q10 in India ( INR 44990/- and INR 43990/- respectively). Only my deepest desire for a BB10 platform forced me to buy a Q10 at that price. That too I had to visit Blackberry showroom three times for the stock to appear.

That situation improved a bit when the released Z30. The price was somewhat ok ( INR 39,990). But by that time I grew a pretty wisdom tooth and waited for a couple of months for the price drop .

This is the story of an ISO certified BlackBerry fanatic. I seriously doubt average Raj or Sita will exihibit that kind of patience. Like someone said before, he/she takes INR 10K notes, go to that 'mobile shop' and buy the mobile he / she thinks best at that time. Considering the kind of marketing effort happens from BlackBerry India, I am not sure an average Indian customer would have even heard about a BB10 phone. Oh, all these are in the assumption that the particular 'mobile shop' even have a single BB10 phone in their stock.

Best of luck, BlackBerry marketing team. Trust me, you need it.
    06-26-14 07:48 AM
    Everyone suggesting that Z3 pricing is meant to drive sales of the Z10.... have drank too much of the BlackBerry Juice.

You are assuming there is a demand and desire for BlackBerry products, and we have seen over the last year that isn't the case. BlackBerry has sold fewer BBOS devices in India and while their have been a few reports of Z10 selling out recently, sales are still dropping over all. You don't try and pull some bait and switch scheme while you are losing marketshare, much less your existing user base.

You guys just wait till the Passport and Classic prices get announced....

I see you on that one and partly agree.
    Since I am one of those that voiced similar perception, in order to clarify my opinion, personaly I am not saying the pricing is meant to drive sales of the Z10, I am saying it may be meant to partly incite increase of Z10 sales from those that have decided to go with a BB from the consumer base and were waiting the Z3. All in all this is a supposition and thus, just to be clear, as I have mentioned before, these are assumptions. It does give me the impression that J.C is playing it in a smart way. but that is just that, and impression.

Also, I am not assuming a high demand for BB products; in the Indian Market, from the feedback ppl give us in the forums and the data available, it is clear that BB has and is still loosing rapidly space from Android.

at the end of the day, all we can do is wait (and make suppositions and theorise in the mean time - it is good mental excersise hehe). As a last comment, I think that they will be dropping Z3 prices soon, and this will incite some sales increment.

Lets see if they have their homework right in waterloo... (sure they give the impression they do much better than when TH was in charge thgouh, this for me is a fact).
    06-26-14 08:25 AM
    Using my talent of indulge seamlessly in selective amnesia...

....This is the story of an ISO certified BlackBerry fanatic. I seriously doubt average Raj or Sita will exihibit that kind of patience. Like someone said before, he/she takes INR 10K notes, go to that 'mobile shop' and buy the mobile he / she thinks best at that time. Considering the kind of marketing effort happens from BlackBerry India, I am not sure an average Indian customer would have even heard about a BB10 phone. Oh, all these are in the assumption that the particular 'mobile shop' even have a single BB10 phone in their stock.

Best of luck, BlackBerry marketing team. Trust me, you need it.
    Lol, I really like your humour!
    thanks for the local knowledge input. If the purchase behaviour is as you describe and if BB is aiming at the average Raj or Sita and are not up to date with what you describe if it is the situation, I guess that some (quite a few) things might go a bit off the projections when they check on results... interesting...!

The more the thread extends the more simple is the question needed to answer:

What is the strategic targeting and the target audience of BB in India with the launch of the Z3 and how they plan the different phases of the product placement. If we could only know...

(obviously we do not and will not... )
    06-26-14 08:29 AM
    JTaylor, good you brought this up. If I am not mistaken (with all honestly, please correct me if I am) PPP (for the Z3 with a USD 200 parice tag for US standards), the phone would be about 3.3times more expensive in India. The more you get the price up in USD in india, the more the analogy number increases the less PPP.... And to those that will try to throw GDP into the picture in order to make comparison, I would suggest you do not even try, since honestly, even for major investment decisions on productivity and consumption, there is great controversy on reading that data... you might go into the internet and dig this up if you are interested. (start at OECD but then make sure to research online and see how what OECD presents as a fact, gets mingled up with economics theories debates... interesting "game" for those of us that might like things like that ).

On the other hand though, I will agree totaly that maybe, what BB is doing, is analyse the purchasing power of their initial segment/target-group and is expecting to gradually lower prices and increase sales having a higher price initially in order to have increased revenue (most probably equals to increased profits -still may not mean that-) and then lower prices gradualy (an this is where the initial increased revenues may be used to subsidise a price tag burn promo for instance).

In any way, I do not know what would make the Z3 better than a comparable Android (@Marsupilamix) but honestly, I would really like to know what is the strategic thinking of Chen behind this. If he and the new staff has decided everything regarding this launch, I might believe they are actualy up to something, but something tells me that the Z3 launch is highly conditioned by earlier planing that started with TH and if my wild guess is anywhere near to the truth, I fear that JC and his team were facing a difficult recipie re-write or execution.

I am almost sure thow, that the phone will get a considerable discount on initial price really soon in India and this is comon practice: start high, make some extra cash from early adopters, and then lower price in order to increase interest and if you are succesful, sales.

Let us waaaait and seeeee (againnn.... :-P ).
    Why will BlackBerry give a discount (absorb the import duty and sell at 12k $200) when they are selling out and have low inventory in Indonesia? Z10 price was dropped because they overproduced that it
    06-26-14 08:35 AM
    Why will BlackBerry give a discount (absorb the import duty and sell at 12k $200) when they are selling out and have low inventory in Indonesia? Z10 price was dropped because they overproduced that it
    Because (at least it is my perception) 99% of phones drop prices after 3-5 months from entry. I believe it will happen, unless the demand is so high (combined with low produciton) that the revenue and unit targets (and profit/unit) are reached. In that case it will be a successful sale and placement as well (a different sales scenario though).

I for one, really think they will not keep that price up there for too long.

Just opinions my friend
    06-26-14 08:41 AM
    It's simple India wants to save it's telecom industry (Micromax etc, etc)
    As a result imported phones are priced higher.
    Buy it or neglect it, it's upto you.
    The company is not in a good position and now you don't want to give it some chance to earn money. Stop comparing it with other phones.
    If you very eager to have it get it now or wait till the price gets down.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 09:07 AM
174 ... 34567