07-15-14 11:06 PM
174 ... 23456 ...
tools
    This is what Z3 is up against. Not sure if the Xiaomi Redmi Note can work in India. It's 5.5", has a 13 megapixel rear camera and it's front camera has same mega pixels of Z3's back camera at 5MP. The phone will be available in HK, Malaysia, and Singapore for US$160. Maybe some of these phones will end up in grey market in India.

Xiaomi's low-cost Redmi Note smartphone to launch in Asia - CNET
    06-25-14 05:46 PM
    Hopefully this phone is of higher quality than the cheaper dual-sim Androids. People will spend more for quality.

BlackBerry is technically out of the consumer business, so volume doesn't matter, except for selling at least 10 million units to have the handsets division be profitable.
    I worry that selling 10 million Z3s is not what JC had in mind. The profit margins on a $200 phone are obviously much, much less than the margins on a $700-800 phone. The Z3's purpose is to get the BB10 OS into as many hands as possible, to convince people to give the OS a shot. Once they use it and see that it is a completely viable ecosystem, the hope would be that during their next upgrade cycle they would be happy to upgrade to the premium device of that era.
    06-25-14 06:25 PM
    They might be trying to get the early adopters and then have a plan to drop the price right after.
    currentodysseys likes this.
    06-25-14 06:40 PM
    Agree with OP, IF BlackBerry need loyalty of India and Indonesia customers, why they always sell overpriced ? in both countries? They did some mistakes, squeeze the customer with ridiculous price instead giving some incentives.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 07:39 PM
    Too pricey. Not interested to recommend to friends at present price.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 07:40 PM
    Some claimed that 200 for Indonesia was too much. I guess if Z3 didn?t sell comparatively well there then they wouldn't try other countries. The fact that they introduce markets one by one means that they are very cautious.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 07:43 PM
    You guys wanted a $200 BlackBerry for the longest time, so BlackBerry released one but you still complain about the price

A very long sigh.........................

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Aljean Thein; 06-25-14 at 08:29 PM.
    LeroyP09 and gokulesh like this.
    06-25-14 07:52 PM
    You guys wanted a $200 BlackBerry for the longest time, so BlackBerry released one but you still complain about the price

A very long sigh.........................

Posted via CB10
    That's because the bar has moved. Lot other phones with comparable specs are now under $200.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-25-14 08:41 PM
    i wanted to buy it, but i don't think it really a good deal with 15,990/- Rs i was expecting max 12,000/- Rs. now i can't suggest to my frnds too as there are lots of big deal phones around with great specs.
    God help Blackberry.......
    06-25-14 09:46 PM
    LOL!!! Did you ever checked bills when you go for lunch or dinner in a good restaurant/KFC? The whole taxes sums around 16-18%. There is an import tax around 10% on mobiles at present. So I can figure out that 15-16k initially itself. It's just the people who circulated the news in minimum knowledge with out imposing any taxes on it. Don't compare a device to another device, it brings many flaws and eye raising facts too. Nothing is 100% winner, by looking at battery one may buy Z3 and others just get attracted to so-so device at same price or may be lower ones.
    currentodysseys and gokulesh like this.
    06-25-14 11:20 PM
    Lol! I don't care if it's manufactured in India or not! Nor will the potential customers when they see the pricing... the fact that BlackBerry has been advertising the phone as a sub $200 device shows that they haven't tried to launch it at a competitive price... also, do you really think this helps BlackBerry as a brand?! The normal consumer won't think about exchange rates! They'll think about getting a cheap solid phone...brand perception is what matters at this point and I'm sorry to say that BlackBerry has succeeded in sc***ing it up again... so I think it's you who needs to come back down to earth...and before you start bashing me about not owning a BlackBerry device, I've got a Z10 and I really like it! But guess what! the Z10 sells for 13,500Rs. now and the Z3 for nearly 16k! Lol! The joke's on you!

MATVD - Movies, Advertisements, Tv Shows and Documentaries! The Largest Entertainment Channel out there! Join now!
    This is exactly right. There are hedging facilities that companies like Blackberry can use to offset any rate fluctuations. Imagine Apple setting a price in a country and then saying "oops, the xx/USD exchange rate has changed. We now have to charge you $xxx more". Ridiculous.

And the other side of the coin, what would have happened had the exchange rate went the other way? You think Blackberry would have launched at the lower figure? Dream on. This pricing was set from the start by Blackberry.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-25-14 11:53 PM
    I hope I am wrong but I am really concerned with the pricing. Even if they couldnt do it at 200 they should have kept it as close as possible. I think this is going to be a huge determining factor for people deciding on this phone or cheaper dual-sim Androids.

I really really hope I am wrong but getting this phone into as many hands as possible should be BlackBerry's number one priority.
    I am less concerned, in general, about Android than I am about the Micromax Canvas Win W121 when competing with the BlackBerry Z3 as most people looking to buy BlackBerry will also consider Windows Phone.
    06-26-14 12:15 AM
    Guess what IT SOLD OUT AGAIN
    06-26-14 01:40 AM
    That's because the bar has moved. Lot other phones with comparable specs are now under $200.
    Specs you say BB10 with same specs is better due to the kernel of QNX and its ability to handle more
    06-26-14 01:43 AM
    Can you give some examples of similar phones under $200? No one makes money off a phone that cheap...

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 01:43 AM
    To all the armchair analysts in this thread trying to compare cross border pricing at traded exchange rates you should know this is often meaningless as currencies can be over/under valued by significant amounts at any point in time. Purchasing power parity is really all that matters when comparing pricing in different countries. I will leave it up to you to look into what this means but also remember companies set prices to try to maximize profits not revenues and this all depends on price elasticity. Blackberry may have done their consumer research and determined they could have sold this phone for 20% cheaper but the people who will buy it will almost all still buy at at higher price and they will make more money this way. Companies are trying to maximize profit not sales and JC has made it clear they are not going to lose money on phones so their pricing will reflect what will be most profitable not what is the highest volume.

Posted via CB10
    If Apple would actually launch an iPhone for 250-300 dollar, your analogy would make sense.

Like this, I just ask, why not get an Android from a local manufacturer or from a chinese one, for the same price, with far better specs (the Chinese have phones for 300$, that more or less have Galaxy S4 specs) and surely an acceptable build quality?
    Let's not forget the faaaar better ecosystem?

What would make the Z3 better than a comparably priced Android?

Lucky me I talked about PPP in this thread then, right?
    Do you actually understand PPP yourself, though?

In a country where I can buy a meal that will satisfy me for under 1 dollar, how many meals could that Z3 buy me?
    Do you understand how PPP is being calculated?

Posted via CB10
    JTaylor, good you brought this up. If I am not mistaken (with all honestly, please correct me if I am) PPP (for the Z3 with a USD 200 parice tag for US standards), the phone would be about 3.3times more expensive in India. The more you get the price up in USD in india, the more the analogy number increases the less PPP.... And to those that will try to throw GDP into the picture in order to make comparison, I would suggest you do not even try, since honestly, even for major investment decisions on productivity and consumption, there is great controversy on reading that data... you might go into the internet and dig this up if you are interested. (start at OECD but then make sure to research online and see how what OECD presents as a fact, gets mingled up with economics theories debates... interesting "game" for those of us that might like things like that ).

On the other hand though, I will agree totaly that maybe, what BB is doing, is analyse the purchasing power of their initial segment/target-group and is expecting to gradually lower prices and increase sales having a higher price initially in order to have increased revenue (most probably equals to increased profits -still may not mean that-) and then lower prices gradualy (an this is where the initial increased revenues may be used to subsidise a price tag burn promo for instance).

In any way, I do not know what would make the Z3 better than a comparable Android (@Marsupilamix) but honestly, I would really like to know what is the strategic thinking of Chen behind this. If he and the new staff has decided everything regarding this launch, I might believe they are actualy up to something, but something tells me that the Z3 launch is highly conditioned by earlier planing that started with TH and if my wild guess is anywhere near to the truth, I fear that JC and his team were facing a difficult recipie re-write or execution.

I am almost sure thow, that the phone will get a considerable discount on initial price really soon in India and this is comon practice: start high, make some extra cash from early adopters, and then lower price in order to increase interest and if you are succesful, sales.

Let us waaaait and seeeee (againnn.... :-P ).
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    06-26-14 01:44 AM
    Can you give some examples of similar phones under $200? No one makes money off a phone that cheap...

Posted via CB10
    I just mentioned Xiaomi above. Check out the specs
    06-26-14 01:49 AM
    Specs you say BB10 with same specs is better due to the kernel of QNX and its ability to handle more
    I'm sorry but bargain hunters and people on low budgets don't care or want to care about QNX. They're just looking at the screen and front/back cameras and when they can install their FB and BBM apps.
    JeepBB and sentimentGX4 like this.
    06-26-14 01:51 AM
    I'm sorry but bargain hunters and people on low budgets don't care or want to care about QNX. They're just looking at the screen and front/back cameras and when they can install their FB and BBM apps.
    And they will most probably never buy a BB anyway, because let us face it, if we are talking about this portion of the consumer pool, then they are irrelevant in BB's strategic positioning. They might come into play in the last phase of second cycle of a product when the replacement model comes out etc, but the first cycle and at the initial stages of cycle1 of sales, the people you mentioned I am pretty sure, are not seen like a target audience.

Maybe I am wrong though, just an opinion.
    06-26-14 02:03 AM
    I will say this again... it's the brand perception that needs to recover, in the eyes of the consumer that is... do you really think the average consumer cares about tax laws and hardcore economics?!?! If someone wants a phone, they go and buy it! They don't go through spreadsheets of data and compare PPPs of different countries before before purchasing devices! Hmmmm...I'd like to buy a fridge but which one should I get? let me go through the company's pricing strategies first and calculate how much more I'm going to pay. It's ludicrous to think that way! In India if you price something around 10-12k it's a win... Motorola has done it! it doesn?t matter if they're making profits or not...right now, they're on the path to restructuring the entire company and loads of people have bought the new line of devices ranging from the Moto E to the Moto X! They launched a stellar phone and now people want more Motorolas! Imagine that! So stop talking about stuff that no one even needs to know let alone understand....

MATVD - Movies, Advertisements, Tv Shows and Documentaries! The Largest Entertainment Channel out there! Join now!
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-26-14 02:06 AM
    Hopefully this phone is of higher quality than the cheaper dual-sim Androids. People will spend more for quality.

BlackBerry is technically out of the consumer business, so volume doesn't matter, except for selling at least 10 million units to have the handsets division be profitable.
    And if they don't sell 10 million total phones JC made it clear that if they don't make money on the phones they will simply shut down the handset division of BB so it sounds like they are ready and willing to do that so what's with all the fuss here from all the armchair CEO's if the real CEO has already decided what to do if the handsets don't make money.
    gokulesh likes this.
    06-26-14 02:24 AM
    i was on of the early adapters. infact first in my region .. purchased at Rs. 42,500 (roughly $700)

and no its sold at Rs.15000 (roughly $240)

was eagerly awaiting the z3 launch at sub 12k or $200

but its a utter disappointment

regarding taxes and depreciation of rupee - we have lot of micromax , xionee, panasonic, samsung sold with better specs at cheaper prices.

this blackberry would have nailed it .. also India has a very big industrial complex of Foxconn at Chennai, Tamilnadu, though its not neccessary to produce these bb phones at India plant. just saying.

the curve 8520 price when it reached Rs.9000, it was selling like hot cakes..

india is a price sensitive market yet brand conscious.

i will pass this one
    JeepBB and flyingsolid like this.
    06-26-14 02:27 AM
    I will say this again... it's the brand perception that needs to recover, in the eyes of the consumer that is... do you really think the average consumer cares about tax laws and hardcore economics?!?! If someone wants a phone, they go and buy it! They don't go through spreadsheets of data and compare PPPs of different countries before before purchasing devices! Hmmmm...I'd like to buy a fridge but which one should I get? let me go through the company's pricing strategies first and calculate how much more I'm going to pay. It's ludicrous to think that way! In India if you price something around 10-12k it's a win... Motorola has done it! it doesn?t matter if they're making profits or not...right now, they're on the path to restructuring the entire company and loads of people have bought the new line of devices ranging from the Moto E to the Moto X! They launched a stellar phone and now people want more Motorolas! Imagine that! So stop talking about stuff that no one even needs to know let alone understand....

I agree with you, no one said that most (the average) consumers will proceed with such analisys; it was never pictured like this in the thread, at least to my understanding it is the other way around...
    The company that produces/sells the product does this in order to clarify their go to market strategy and they place a price tag on each stage of the project. So, this is what we are talking about... how BB might be pricing this and how it might end up. We are just discussing possibilities here, just like in most forums :-P

Maybe you do not need to know, nor are interested in that "stuff", or following a conversation that might show you an aspect or opinion that you have not thought of or be interested in before, but to ask that the rest of the people "stop talking about stuff" you deem as "not interesting" nor "understandable"... well you know... sorry, will not comply on that one...

Thanks.

PS: I agree on your remark on brand perception being needy of a recovery regarding BB, I think BB also already knows that only very well.
    Last edited by currentodysseys; 06-26-14 at 03:22 AM.
    06-26-14 02:34 AM
    And they will most probably never buy a BB anyway, because let us face it, if we are talking about this portion of the consumer pool, then they are irrelevant in BB's strategic positioning. They might come into play in the last phase of second cycle of a product when the replacement model comes out etc, but the first cycle and at the initial stages of cycle1 of sales, the people you mentioned I am pretty sure, are not seen like a target audience.

Maybe I am wrong though, just an opinion.
    Good points. I agree
    currentodysseys likes this.
    06-26-14 02:49 AM

I find your post informative and extremely funny. Reminds me of myself at Walmart and Zellers lining up for a sale.
    06-26-14 02:51 AM
174 ... 23456 ...