07-15-14 11:06 PM
174 12345 ...
tools
    I don't recall Z3 sales getting mentioned in the recent earnings report. If not, then I'm not sure if Z3 sales are doing that well in Indonesia. Why keep it secret?
    Unlike TH, our new CEO JC prefers to keep his mout close until he has something important to tell
    06-25-14 10:11 AM
    Unlike TH, our new CEO JC prefers to keep his mout close until he has something important to tell
    Which might end up in BlackBerry saying nothing for quite some time

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    06-25-14 10:13 AM
    Oh Please, everyone take a chill pill. The suggested manufacture's retail price is $260. It is common and I repeat common for retail sellers to provide special pricing when the purchase is bundled with cell service. There is absolutely nothing new about this and it is done all the time in just about every market. I have never bought a phone at full price.

As to burner phones such as Moto G and Moto X, they don't have the build quality of the Z3. Crap hardware with the glitchiness of Android has been and continues to be the Achilles heal of these smartphones.
    06-25-14 10:21 AM
    Oh Please, everyone take a chill pill. The suggested manufacture's retail price is $260. It is common and I repeat common for retail sellers to provide special pricing when the purchase is bundled with cell service. There is absolutely nothing new about this and it is done all the time in just about every market. I have never bought a phone at full price.

As to burner phones such as Moto G and Moto X, they don't have the build quality of the Z3. Crap hardware with the glitchiness of Android has been and continues to be the Achilles heal of these smartphones.
    For such a huge Achilles heal, they seem to flood the market just well.
    Last I checked, most phones sold in emerging markets are Androids.
    And when you pay 100$ instead of 260$ for your phone, you know what to expect.
    Yeah, the build quality won't be that good, but hey who cares?
    And if build quality is the one thing you search in a cheap phone, you'll get that Nokia Lumia anyhow.

If you think that build quality alone, lets people buy a phone that costs vastly more, while having less apps and at the same time doesn't provide anything else over the competition....
    Think again.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 10:36 AM
    06-25-14 11:48 AM
    It is pretty simple... the market will decide if it too pricey.... funny how some lump everyone into on catagory.... sure many want a cheap burner phone and do not care about build quality or OS.. but many do... It sort of like comparing a burner phone sub 200 dollars to an Iphone.. the only difference here seems to be because it is BB it is obviously wrong pricing... would they not say the same comparing to an Apple?????... so much of what went wriong for BB,.,, bad management aside.,.,.. is the general publics adittude....
    06-25-14 11:48 AM
    Yes but how many? 20? That sucks. 200? Getting better. 2,000? Even better.
    JeepBB and techvisor like this.
    06-25-14 11:55 AM
    To all the armchair analysts in this thread trying to compare cross border pricing at traded exchange rates you should know this is often meaningless as currencies can be over/under valued by significant amounts at any point in time. Purchasing power parity is really all that matters when comparing pricing in different countries. I will leave it up to you to look into what this means but also remember companies set prices to try to maximize profits not revenues and this all depends on price elasticity. Blackberry may have done their consumer research and determined they could have sold this phone for 20% cheaper but the people who will buy it will almost all still buy at at higher price and they will make more money this way. Companies are trying to maximize profit not sales and JC has made it clear they are not going to lose money on phones so their pricing will reflect what will be most profitable not what is the highest volume.

Posted via CB10
    KingOfQwerty, Rowan M and BeautyEh like this.
    06-25-14 12:05 PM
    It is pretty simple... the market will decide if it too pricey.... funny how some lump everyone into on catagory.... sure many want a cheap burner phone and do not care about build quality or OS.. but many do... It sort of like comparing a burner phone sub 200 dollars to an Iphone.. the only difference here seems to be because it is BB it is obviously wrong pricing... would they not say the same comparing to an Apple?????... so much of what went wriong for BB,.,, bad management aside.,.,.. is the general publics adittude....
    If Apple would actually launch an iPhone for 250-300 dollar, your analogy would make sense.

Like this, I just ask, why not get an Android from a local manufacturer or from a chinese one, for the same price, with far better specs (the Chinese have phones for 300$, that more or less have Galaxy S4 specs) and surely an acceptable build quality?
    Let's not forget the faaaar better ecosystem?

What would make the Z3 better than a comparably priced Android?

To all the armchair analysts in this thread trying to compare cross border pricing at traded exchange rates you should know this is often meaningless as currencies can be over/under valued by significant amounts at any point in time. Purchasing power parity is really all that matters when comparing pricing in different countries.

Posted via CB10
    Lucky me I talked about PPP in this thread then, right?
    Do you actually understand PPP yourself, though?

In a country where I can buy a meal that will satisfy me for under 1 dollar, how many meals could that Z3 buy me?
    Do you understand how PPP is being calculated?

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and techvisor like this.
    06-25-14 12:08 PM
    Good price - better gpu so apps start quicker , better battery life, 5 inch screen and it's quick enough and has enough RAM.
    06-25-14 12:10 PM
    06-25-14 12:14 PM
    So they launched the Z3 a couple of hours ago at 15,990 Rs.! That's way more than what they've been advertising! With the launch of the Moto E and Moto G, they should have gone with a more aggressive pricing scheme. At 270$, the Z3 won't sell as expected. Period.

MATVD - Movies, Advertisements, Tv Shows and Documentaries! The Largest Entertainment Channel out there! Join now!
    Pretty afforadable. Already know a few relatives in India that are going to get it on day one.
    06-25-14 12:57 PM
    I suppose that when Foxconn is making more phones than they are selling they will probably lower the cost providing that they would still be making a profit.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 12:58 PM
    If Apple would actually launch an iPhone for 250-300 dollar, your analogy would make sense.

Like this, I just ask, why not get an Android from a local manufacturer or from a chinese one, for the same price, with far better specs (the Chinese have phones for 300$, that more or less have Galaxy S4 specs) and surely an acceptable build quality?
    Let's not forget the faaaar better ecosystem?

What would make the Z3 better than a comparably priced Android?

Lucky me I talked about PPP in this thread then, right?
    Do you actually understand PPP yourself, though?

In a country where I can buy a meal that will satisfy me for under 1 dollar, how many meals could that Z3 buy me?
    Do you understand how PPP is being calculated?

Posted via CB10
    PPP comment was directed at everyone saying it's $190 in USD in Indo and $260 USD in India could be an apples to oranges comparison. The second part of my comment about profit maximization applies to you though.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 01:03 PM
    Z3 is currently sold out in flipcart website. Seems like not everyone care about the high price

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 01:10 PM
    Z3 is currently sold out in flipcart website. Seems like not everyone care about the high price

Posted via CB10

Bad move BlackBerry! (Z3 pricing in India)-img_20140625_111426.png

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 01:14 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, and I'm sure that all five buyers are delighted with their Z3's. (Joking!)

Without knowing how many they had, "sold out" is a meaningless phrase. And BB have previous form for playing the sold-out game.
    06-25-14 01:16 PM
    Yhose numbers don't get declared until second quarter. "Thank you come again"

Posted via CB10
    Actually those numbers don't get declared, ever. Period.

BB have never broken down sales by model to my knowledge. The most they've done is reveal the BBOS/BB10 split.
    techvisor and Irish Blues like this.
    06-25-14 01:22 PM
    Hoping this is good marketing. Make the MRP at $260, then have suppliers sell it at $200 and it looks like a steal!

Also, maybe Foxconn only made 50-100K phones this production run. That number will sell out for sure even at this price (more good marketing) and then the next run price it at $200 and the pent up demand will be there to make those devices at the new price extremely enticing.

BlackBerry has made tons of pricing mistakes in the past but I'm going to give Chen the benefit of the doubt before calling this a mistake. Let's wait and see!
    sum one and currentodysseys like this.
    06-25-14 01:41 PM
    To all the armchair analysts in this thread trying to compare cross border pricing at traded exchange rates you should know this is often meaningless as currencies can be over/under valued by significant amounts at any point in time. Purchasing power parity is really all that matters when comparing pricing in different countries. I will leave it up to you to look into what this means but also remember companies set prices to try to maximize profits not revenues and this all depends on price elasticity. Blackberry may have done their consumer research and determined they could have sold this phone for 20% cheaper but the people who will buy it will almost all still buy at at higher price and they will make more money this way. Companies are trying to maximize profit not sales and JC has made it clear they are not going to lose money on phones so their pricing will reflect what will be most profitable not what is the highest volume.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry needs profits.....
    But they also need to expand their userbase.....
    But then it does seem that for the most part, the people that buy BlackBerry devices are going to buy BlackBerry devices - doesn't matter if they are $20 more than they should be or $100 more.

It's a balancing act... that Foxconn is going to be very conservative with.
    06-25-14 03:15 PM
    Someone said in another thread to not insult the Indian market as a poor developing market...
    06-25-14 03:47 PM
    most import taxes for electronic components are atleast 40-50% in India. So yeah, i expect the pricing of BBRY to be about 1.5 to 2 times the normal price if none of the components were manufactured or sourced in India.
    gokulesh likes this.
    06-25-14 04:26 PM
    I just have to ask:
    Do you have public health care, and a real social security network where you live?

Posted via CB10
    Yes. Check-ups cost US$15 and hospital bed (shared room) is US$10 a day. Meds are free. We also have welfare but not to the level of Canada. All my kids were delivered in public hospitals and total cost for vitamins, check-ups, delivery, and even after natal care was US$150 for all 3.
    06-25-14 04:54 PM
    I hope I am wrong but I am really concerned with the pricing. Even if they couldnt do it at 200 they should have kept it as close as possible. I think this is going to be a huge determining factor for people deciding on this phone or cheaper dual-sim Androids.

I really really hope I am wrong but getting this phone into as many hands as possible should be BlackBerry's number one priority.
    06-25-14 05:23 PM
    I hope I am wrong but I am really concerned with the pricing. Even if they couldnt do it at 200 they should have kept it as close as possible. I think this is going to be a huge determining factor for people deciding on this phone or cheaper dual-sim Androids.

I really really hope I am wrong but getting this phone into as many hands as possible should be BlackBerry's number one priority.
    Hopefully this phone is of higher quality than the cheaper dual-sim Androids. People will spend more for quality.

BlackBerry is technically out of the consumer business, so volume doesn't matter, except for selling at least 10 million units to have the handsets division be profitable.
    06-25-14 05:40 PM
174 12345 ...