07-15-14 11:06 PM
174 1234 ...
tools
    Blackberry has never been smart with pricing

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    06-25-14 07:41 AM
    Blackberry needs to lower the price effective immediately, if they want to sell devices. This is also true here in Canada, If they want to compete, they need to sell for cheaper than what they offer at the moment. Where I live the tax rate is still high at 13%, not sure what it is in India but it makes a huge jump in the cost of everything and anything. BB needs to start looking at long term revenue acquisition instead of the short term boost to the bottom line.
    techvisor likes this.
    06-25-14 07:59 AM
    Z3 sales are v good in Indonesia, so doubt there will be a firesale
    06-25-14 08:14 AM
    They could have atleast launched it with some kinf of exchange so that the effective price would have still been low. Highly disappointed with the price. Especially when BlackBerry still had a chance to do so well in India.
    techvisor and singhvikas101 like this.
    06-25-14 08:14 AM
    The high price makes sense if supply is limited from the start as Management knows there's a segment that won't flinch at the price. Producing extra units if sales exceed expectations won't be a burden compared to producing significantly more units if the price is $199.

If Z3 is $265 in India, imagine how much the Classic and Passport will be in September.
    06-25-14 08:19 AM
    Only difference I bet is that foxcon did not build near as many. So there may not be fire sale lol.
    Yeap.
    Population of India is 5 times of Indonesia. So, yes likely Z3 will be Out Of Stock and with speculative prices.
    06-25-14 08:22 AM
    Z3 sales are v good in Indonesia, so doubt there will be a firesale
    I don't recall Z3 sales getting mentioned in the recent earnings report. If not, then I'm not sure if Z3 sales are doing that well in Indonesia. Why keep it secret?
    JeepBB, sentimentGX4 and techvisor like this.
    06-25-14 08:23 AM
    BlackBerry you really are trying to die?
    Why price it so high?

The problem is that if they change the price it would mean that the sales didn't go so well and will give bad impression about the product.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    06-25-14 08:37 AM
    You can still pre-order on flipkart. And they are offering a Rs1000 discount (I think it's their discount not bb) so it's 14900.

Ordering 2 for friends / relatives in India.

Posted via CB10
    vicky_235235 likes this.
    06-25-14 08:42 AM
    12k would have been a sell out with waiting

Don't understand why BlackBerry prefers writing off handsets instead of reducing the pricing??

Especially when we users can feel a big appetite for a phone in that range why can't BlackBerry India!!
    Their 1st mistake was Z10 and. Q10 then Z30 and now Z3? Why can't we learn from our mistakes

This is the time to fight with all hands and minds on deck, don't expect Chen to be everywhere but the definitely need better market research

Posted via CB10
    techvisor and singhvikas101 like this.
    06-25-14 08:45 AM
    The high price makes sense if supply is limited from the start as Management knows there's a segment that won't flinch at the price. Producing extra units if sales exceed expectations won't be a burden compared to producing significantly more units if the price is $199.

If Z3 is $265 in India, imagine how much the Classic and Passport will be in September.
    It's a strategy you adopt when you know that people will buy it anyhow and you don't need to grow your userbase (in the case of the iPhone, high prices actually helped them to sell more, but is an entirely different case of what happens here).

BlackBerry neither can be sure that consumers buy a Z3 instead of an Android with twice the specs at the same price.
    And they surely won't grow their userbase like that. I may have missed something though and BlackBerry is ultra popular worldwide so they can ask for whatever price they want.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and techvisor like this.
    06-25-14 08:45 AM
    There are quite a few misleading statements here. Fist you have somebody saying that just round up the price to $300 making it a 50% increase and then everybody decides to run with that number. Well its not $300, the price is $260 which is a 30% increase. I live in Canada which has higher taxes and import duties than the US and I can tell you that we pay about 30% more on just about everything. Dose it **** us off? Sure but that's life, get used to it.

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque and pcguy514 like this.
    06-25-14 09:07 AM
    Here is one thing I think we should understand. The BlackBerry Z3 was made specifically for the Indonesian Market with the primary motive of getting people to adopt BB10. Profit was not the motive and nobody has asked the question of how much profit BlackBerry is making. This is deal with Foxconn so you know Foxconn are making a percentage of their own too. So I am definitely not surprised that the price is higher in India. You cannot even compare the price of the Z3 at launch to the price of the Z10 at launch so I feel like they are making changes to their previously poor pricing. Like others have pointed out, the production is a lot lower so I doubt (and hope) there will be any fire sales (coupled with the falling Exchange rate). Im not saying the Z3 cannot be better priced but I think people have to understand BlackBerry's position rather than bash them.
    06-25-14 09:11 AM
    If that's the case then the price increase due to currency devaluation would apply to the other phones. But I'm guessing it's not
    How this works is that the OEMs usually keep the price of already released products at their current level for the sake of consistency; but, newly released products will reflect the exchange rate adjustments.
    06-25-14 09:12 AM
    There are quite a few misleading statements here. Fist you have somebody saying that just round up the price to $300 making it a 50% increase and then everybody decides to run with that number. Well its not $300, the price is $260 which is a 30% increase. I live in Canada which has higher taxes and import duties than the US and I can tell you that we pay about 30% more on just about everything. Dose it **** us off? Sure but that's life, get used to it.

Posted via CB10
    I noticed this from my Canadian friends. Carbon tax, high telecom rates, unexplained gas price hikes. They seem to just roll with it albeit unhappily. Where I live, government tried to impose a 1% sales tax (we currently have zero) and it was met with public fury and that proposal fell through. Maybe you should complain louder.
    06-25-14 09:23 AM

Posted via CB10
    Most people I see in here use the local currency of India and Indonesia.
    Which was too annoying for me, so I used a nice round number, in $.

The original question still applies though: Does Micromax for example, or something chinese like Huawei sell their phones for 30-40% more in India than in Indonisia?

Are basically all other phones sold for 30-40% more in India, than in other nearby regions?
    Because if not.... My point still stands, no matter if we talk about 30, 40, or 50%.

Also, I said that my calculations
    is an oversimplification. Just as the post I replied to, was oversimplified.

We obviously would have to factor in PPP as well for example and other market differences to make a well founded answer.
    But the simplest shortcut, is to look at the competition.

Do they sell their phones for the same % increase that BlackBerry does, or not?

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 09:27 AM
    1) If Moto G etc can price well under the same Indian Taxes laws etc why does Blackberry suck all the time.

2) This was their chance to regain their footing in Indian Markets and they sucked! Ideally Rs 12k or MAX 13K would have helped them sell a million Z3s in India itself.

3) Mark my words in just 1-2 months Z3 in India shall sell for Rs 11,500/0

4) History Z10 launched at Rs 43,000 then Rs 29,000 then now Rs 15,000/- or less and Z30 for Rs 39,000/- then Rs 35,000/- and Now Rs 29.990/-

Blackberry Z3 your pricing has really disappointed us big time. All analysts and reviewers were expecting max Rs 13K. So now they shall be the ones who will bash Z3 pricing which shall put off investors.

Some great phones and Hardware for Rs 16,000/- (Samsung Galaxy Grand 2, Nokias, Samsung Galaxy Grand Quottro, Panasonic, LG, Micromax, Karbonn, Lava, Xolo etc etc

God Help Z3 Sales in India. I know its a great quality phone but Indian launch prices always suck and people wont buy till they see a deal and a price drop!!
    Like really? Who do you think is setting the price of the Z3, Foxconn or BlackBerry? Isn't Foxconn on the hook for the inventory? Doesn't common sense tell us that Foxconn would have factored everything you have mentioned before setting the price of the Z3 in conjunction with BlackBerry?

Let's all wait and see how the Indian consumers embrace this phone.
    06-25-14 09:30 AM
    I just started some short research and from what I have seen, there is a common increase between Indonisian prices to Indian ones, of about 10%.

But nothing even close to 30%, from what I gathered.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 09:38 AM
    I just started some short research and from what I have seen, there is a common increase between Indonisian prices to Indian ones, of about 10%.

But nothing even close to 30%, from what I gathered.

Posted via CB10
    Can we call it the BlackBerry 2005 Tax?
    06-25-14 09:51 AM
    Bottom line is that the Z3 has been promoted (as much as anything BB has been promoted) since pr-production as a sub $200 handset to sell into emerging markets and compete head-on with cheap android and Nokia handsets. In emerging markets, the extra $60 US prices many thousands if not tens of thousands out of the phone. It doesn't matter whether this was a Foxconn decision or some BBRY middle manager in India. The result is the same and the buck must stop with the CEO. If Foxconn has priced it this way then the failure is in the contract which allows them this leeway.
    JeepBB and techvisor like this.
    06-25-14 09:51 AM
    Should BlackBerry keeps its price the same the first country when it first releases. I don't really understand its price scheme. I think it is bad to do this. I think it FK up again.
    06-25-14 09:59 AM
    I noticed this from my Canadian friends. Carbon tax, high telecom rates, unexplained gas price hikes. They seem to just roll with it albeit unhappily. Where I live, government tried to impose a 1% sales tax (we currently have zero) and it was met with public fury and that proposal fell through. Maybe you should complain louder.
    I just have to ask:
    Do you have public health care, and a real social security network where you live?

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    06-25-14 10:00 AM
    Yeap.
    Population of India is 5 times of Indonesia. So, yes likely Z3 will be Out Of Stock and with speculative prices.
    A higher population does not mean more sales...the IPhone for example hasn't been selling well in China because they don't want flashy and expensive devices

MATVD - Movies, Advertisements, Tv Shows and Documentaries! The Largest Entertainment Channel out there! Join now!
    06-25-14 10:03 AM
    Bottom line is that the Z3 has been promoted (as much as anything BB has been promoted) since pr-production as a sub $200 handset to sell into emerging markets and compete head-on with cheap android and Nokia handsets. In emerging markets, the extra $60 US prices many thousands if not tens of thousands out of the phone. It doesn't matter whether this was a Foxconn decision or some BBRY middle manager in India. The result is the same and the buck must stop with the CEO. If Foxconn has priced it this way then the failure is in the contract which allows them this leeway.
    Agreed.

Just as a reminder:
    India has a GDP per capita of about 1500$ per year.
    The US has one of about 53000$.

A higher population does not mean more sales...the IPhone for example hasn't been selling well in China because they don't want flashy and expensive devices

MATVD - Movies, Advertisements, Tv Shows and Documentaries! The Largest Entertainment Channel out there! Join now!
    Please show me the research confirming those exact reasons.
    Because from what I know, the luxury sector is booming immensely in China and Apple products are actually in pretty high demand (their entirety, not only phones).

You don't think that a price of 700$ per iPhone might be a reason for it not selling well, in a country with a GDP per capita of about 6800$?

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 and techvisor like this.
    06-25-14 10:06 AM
    I don't recall Z3 sales getting mentioned in the recent earnings report. If not, then I'm not sure if Z3 sales are doing that well in Indonesia. Why keep it secret?
    Yhose numbers don't get declared until second quarter. "Thank you come again"

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 10:08 AM
174 1234 ...