In the morning I read Kevin's take on Why It doesn't matter if the iPhone 5 is available before BlackBerry 10 and then this article which is a nice read and just reinforces Kevin's take on BB10.

Some of the hard hitting points are:

Here's RIMs opportunity. It is a company that got cloud on mobile before people called it cloud. It also built the best email/msg/input device, period, which is also light on data. As much as we like the real web on mobile, when there are a lot people in one place or you are in a concrete building or underground or some place in between towers or without decent 3G, it would be nice to at least be able to message people. RIM can do that better than anyone. An iPhone 4S on Edge is painful and I would imagine so is Android and maybe Windows.

If RIM can build a high-quality device that can reduce the attention it takes to use it, have a clear divide between business and personal, and have some kick- integration while not losing the things it does well, I would be excited to use the device. I realize that isnt all that easy to figure out because features alone wont cut it. The device has to be experimental in how it works and will take some big crazy vision to discover it on both the device level and the how-to-deliver-it-to-customers level.
    Why RIM could and should bounce back: Mobile needs to innovate
    06-04-12 02:53 PM
    I really do appreciate how effective my 9900 is for email and messaging even when I am in GPRS land which I am quite often. Even the browser is decent on GPRS.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-04-12 03:05 PM
    Wow that's the second positive article today. Nice. I know that BBM is the most reliable means of IM/txt communication hands down. Also its low data usage makes it a usable device when traveling as I don't have to think about how much data it uses. Can't wait for BB10.
    06-04-12 04:47 PM
    One thing i love about RIM is data compression. With carrier offering lesser and lesser data bundle with plans, data compression might prove to be really useful. Especially with the data compression company they bought a while back (can't remember the name). Great for traveling too as mentioned above.
    06-04-12 07:31 PM
    RIM puts out top line secure tools that one can use for both business and personal tasks. If they could just advertise a whole lot better it might work. RIM builds devices that we can make unique to our individual needs. Unlike the Apple app machine phones.
    06-04-12 07:39 PM
    I always maintain that it's a darn shame that the market doesn't care much for RIM's strengths, strengths where RIM is the market leader: communication/messaging and security. BlackBerry devices are known for their top-notch call quality, messaging functionality, and the best security in mobile. Like the article in OP states, if RIM can combine those elements with apps, multimedia, and the "flashiness" that the competing OSs have, then there is no reason RIM cannot and should not be able to make a comeback.
    kbz1960 and anjali_jain like this.
    06-04-12 08:58 PM
    Article's summary: RIM can get back it's Mojo.
    06-04-12 09:19 PM
    I suppose the little hanging fruit for RIM is mobile advertising, the majority of sites are struggling to monetize mobile users and RIM could obtain a huge bump in support if they could figure out how to deal with this.
    06-05-12 02:57 AM
    In the morning I read Kevin's take on Why It doesn't matter if the iPhone 5 is available before BlackBerry 10 and then this article which is a nice read and just reinforces Kevin's take on BB10.

Yeah, they built the best "text" based email at the time, problem is its still that, "text based email" and hasn't really advanced. People in the actual world know this and just don't see RIMmail as a selling point anymore when email on other devices is desktop class. RIM know this which is why the focus of BB10 isn't email, it's apps and developers and sharing.
    06-05-12 08:20 AM
    There is one and ONLY one reason why it doesn't matter if the BB10 phone launches before iPhone 5: it CAN'T matter.

RIM *HAS* to build a phone AND experience that stands on its own. It CAN'T rely simply on not having to compete with the latest and greatest from others; it needs to meet and beat.

(And part of this is the recognition that some of the supposed tautologies expoused here (security, compression, keyboard) are NOT the important factors for the 99%, but only the 1% here. And serving the 1% will not lead to the continued life of RIM as we know it.)

RIM needs a premium phone with premium one-for-one capability matches of iOS and Android, strong on the features that North American consumers expect (YES, I know there's a whole wide world out there, but only the North American market is compelling for a publically-traded company like RIM; selling lots of cheap Curves does NOT impress Wall Street).

C'mon RIM! FOCUS AND DELIVER.

-CFOT
    sleepngbear likes this.
    06-05-12 09:45 AM
    True, and if history is a guide they will deliver a phone with year old hardware performance and BIS data bottleneck that turns off the average consumer. "Light on data" doesn't impress many smartphone buyers, particularly when they constantly experience the sacrifices it entails. The world has moved past "enhanced messaging" and into internet and gaming. There is a reason the market values the NOC at $0.00.
    06-05-12 10:29 AM
    Very enlightening article. The advantage to the carriers is evident by the amount of advertising by those carriers on TV where they are highlighting android devices.

It kind of reminds me of the excessive and disproportionate amounts of commercials you see for movies, particularly when they end up being a complete bomb at the box office. They get a lot of people buying tickets, and buying expensive snacks but they walk away disappointed!
    06-05-12 11:22 AM
    *Thumbs up for RIM!
    06-05-12 11:26 AM
    Awesome read! Very valid points
    06-05-12 03:38 PM

Here's RIMs opportunity. It is a company that got cloud on mobile before people called it cloud. It also built the best email/msg/input device, period, which is also light on data. As much as we like the real web on mobile, when there are a lot people in one place or you are in a concrete building or underground or some place in between towers or without decent 3G, it would be nice to at least be able to message people. RIM can do that better than anyone. An iPhone 4S on Edge is painful and I would imagine so is Android and maybe Windows.

If RIM can build a high-quality device that can reduce the attention it takes to use it, have a clear divide between business and personal, and have some kick- integration while not losing the things it does well, I would be excited to use the device. I realize that isnt all that easy to figure out because features alone wont cut it. The device has to be experimental in how it works and will take some big crazy vision to discover it on both the device level and the how-to-deliver-it-to-customers level.

Back before WP 7.5 Mango came out, Microsoft ran an ad campaign showing people tripping over people and things because they were paying too much attention to their phone and not what's going on around them. The slogan was something like, get in and out quickly. I remember laughing when I saw the ad because I thought it could have just as easily been about RIM products. This is a very important feature of the mobile experience that hasn't been adequitely tapped yet and is a winner for RIM.
    06-05-12 06:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD