For developers going to the Blackberry Jam Asia 2013 conference the one thing on their minds wouldn't have been what they would see there, but whether the event would be actually on when they arrived in Hong Kong.

This is after all the mobile device platform that's selling so badly that even one of Blackberry's main electronics suppliers is considering dumping it.

Curiously, a large number of people queuing up for their free Blackberry Dev Alpha device at the conference entrance told me they were not developers. That didn't seem to stop them from enjoying their new gadgets however - which came with a conference attached.

And attending the conference was cheap: the regular rate was a mere US$149, or US$99 if you had registered before 30 August.
    More at:

Will it be BlackBerry Jam tomorrow for Asian developers? | Technology | theguardian.com
    09-29-13 07:21 AM
    So many are there just to get a cheap phone?? No controls put in place by BBRY or maybe it is a calculated side effect?
    09-29-13 07:36 AM
    So many are there just to get a cheap phone?? No controls put in place by BBRY or maybe it is a calculated side effect?
    I guess it was an attempt to prevent an empty hall?
    09-29-13 07:45 AM
    09-29-13 09:48 AM
    I guess it was an attempt to prevent an empty hall?
    Well that certainly didn't work out if it was the plan. I watched the keynote and it looked half empty.
    09-29-13 10:27 PM
    Well that certainly didn't work out if it was the plan. I watched the keynote and it looked half empty.
    Pretty hard to tell the attendance from the setup and the video from the event. Why don't you ask someone who was there and last year for a comparison of attendance. Always best to base impressions on facts. Simon Sage from CB was there and perhaps he can let us all know.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 10:41 PM
    Pretty hard to tell the attendance from the setup and the video from the event. Why don't you ask someone who was there and last year for a comparison of attendance. Always best to base impressions on facts. Simon Sage from CB was there and perhaps he can let us all know.

Posted via CB10
    I was watching a private live stream. Not the same view as the video most have seen. Seeing many empty chairs as the keynote is on is facts.
    09-29-13 11:20 PM