In an article posted today in Cantech Newsletter the author puts it down to "a Four horse race. Amazon, Facebook, Samsung and Microsoft appear to be the favourites to partner with BlackBerry-maker Research in Motion.

The one lifeline to independence is a broad-based partnership. In 2012, the rumours about a RIM partnership have been as consistent as the potential candidates have been varied. But which deal makes the most sense? We break down the top candidates."

I have heavily truncated the following portions and recommend you visit the website for the full article.

Amazon: 10:1

......Amazons mountains of content could help RIM devices sell at price points that would beat competitors such as Apple,.....

Samsung: 8:1

Samsungs consumer momentum combined with RIM enterprise credibility would give a partnership instant credibility, he believes. Sure its flying high on Android, but its still a me-too play. he says, adding: A RIM connection would separate Samsung from the crowd.

Facebook: 7:1

RIMs services business, which is generating about $4-billion in revenue, would immediately double Facebooks profit and give it the mobile platform it needs to compete with Apple and Google. Whats more, RIMs wildly successful chat system, BlackBerry Messenger, would appear a perfect for Facebooks famous walled garden business strategy.

Microsoft: 5:1

This is the oldest horse in the race, but perhaps the one with the best shot. ...In April, a rumour reported in Benzingas M&A Chatter section sparked a fresh round of speculation that the Redmond, Washington company will invest $3.5-billion into Research in Motion. Some believe there would be enough value in RIM just for its intellectual property assets. Increasingly, defensive patent aggregation is seen as a necessary guard against IP litigation. Others, however, believe that Microsoft would simply assign the RIM handset business to Nokia and keep RIMs secretive and secure enterprise network for itself.

For the complete article:

Who will Research in Motion partner with? Breaking down the front-runners
    06-27-12 08:17 PM
    Samsung just simply doesn't need RIM, Microsoft is more likely to buy Nokia. Amazon is in bed with googles Android so that leaves FB. Their stock is bad enough, no reason for them to buy another bad stock.
    06-27-12 09:07 PM
    LOL.
    Getting in bed with any of those companies would spell RIM's death.
    Rim knows fully well that they have to go it alone.
    06-27-12 09:19 PM
    RIM will be partnering with Sony, just wait geezze. Since the birth of RIM they've been partners with Ericson, and still have close ties with Sony Mobile. Expect Xperias running BB10 and they both to leverage the playstation platform.
    06-27-12 09:27 PM
    Partnering doesn't mean buyout, so with that in mind, I think Amazon is the best option. RIM could provide hardware, OS, and enterprise access, and Amazon could provide content and cloud services. Amazon makes its money on content and loses money on Kindle Fire (apparently), so having their services on BB would only be beneficial.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    06-27-12 09:53 PM
    Don't be short sighted. Keep in mind that RIM is building a "Platform", as has been stated several times before. Since QNX's main strength is in embedded systems and BB10 will be a platform and not just a phone operating system, I believe RIM will look to partner with someone who can use the platform not just in their phones but will be able to fully utilize the strengths of the embedded platform. This would leave a Sony or Samsung. These companies would be able to use the platform in not only their phones but it could also be used in appliances (Dishwasher/Washer & Dryers/Fridges/Etc) and televisions. Imagine the integration this "platform" could open up to one of those companies. Customers could have full integration of their home appliances via the use of their tablet or phone.

Include the platform in your vehicle and you will have full control of home, mobile and vehicle wherever you are and whenever you need. I believe this opens a lot of opportunity to a Sony or Samsung who have a much larger range of products that could be effected then just phones. The business case is there, lets just see what happens.

From car to home, BB10 will be a platform not just a phone OS.
    06-27-12 10:07 PM
    Samsung does more than just phones, and their phones are fantastic. Google is making them extremely nervous right now.. Some think it would be the death of RIM, but it makes sense as RIM should be moving to being more of a software/service company.
    Throw in Amazon with these two companies and it's a powerhouse.
    06-27-12 10:15 PM
    Don't be short sighted. Keep in mind that RIM is building a "Platform", as has been stated several times before. Since QNX's main strength is in embedded systems and BB10 will be a platform and not just a phone operating system, I believe RIM will look to partner with someone who can use the platform not just in their phones but will be able to fully utilize the strengths of the embedded platform. This would leave a Sony or Samsung. These companies would be able to use the platform in not only their phones but it could also be used in appliances (Dishwasher/Washer & Dryers/Fridges/Etc) and televisions. Imagine the integration this "platform" could open up to one of those companies. Customers could have full integration of their home appliances via the use of their tablet or phone.

Include the platform in your vehicle and you will have full control of home, mobile and vehicle wherever you are and whenever you need. I believe this opens a lot of opportunity to a Sony or Samsung who have a much larger range of products that could be effected then just phones. The business case is there, lets just see what happens.

From car to home, BB10 will be a platform not just a phone OS.
    Thank God someone finally gets it. BB10 is a "platform". Fully scalable ,and intended for such markets as the embedded market, medical etc.

Hence why 3rd party financial firms would be used to ink deals
    06-27-12 10:21 PM
    Although MS turns most of what they touch to stone I would have to say that they seem the most likely to take a stake. Maybe MS wants to hedge its mobile bet and be assured a place in the mobile future. I don't see MS creating any consumer buzz like a deal with Amazon or Facebook would. What I do know is Rim needs a deal with someone which if nothing else would give rim a much needed vote of confidence
    06-27-12 10:56 PM
    Partnering doesn't mean buyout, so with that in mind, I think Amazon is the best option. RIM could provide hardware, OS, and enterprise access, and Amazon could provide content and cloud services. Amazon makes its money on content and loses money on Kindle Fire (apparently), so having their services on BB would only be beneficial.
    I agree. I would like to see a statigic partnership with Amazon. 2 big complaints with BB is that they don't have a lot of content, and what they do have, is not intergrated. You have to log into various accounts for various content. They have started fixing this by adding more content & tyring things to your BB ID but they still have a ways to go. With amazon they could easily do this in one fowl swoop.

The other partners I would like to see RIM work on is embeded partners. As GDubbin said:
    Don't be short sighted. Keep in mind that RIM is building a "Platform", as has been stated several times before. Since QNX's main strength is in embedded systems and BB10 will be a platform and not just a phone operating system, I believe RIM will look to partner with someone who can use the platform not just in their phones but will be able to fully utilize the strengths of the embedded platform.

I love that in the future my phone will seamlessly intergrate into my car, but I would like it to go further then that. There are so many places where the BB-QNX platform could be used.
    06-28-12 01:22 AM
    Not that my feelings have anything to do with anything, but I'd be so sickened if Facebook ended up buying RIM. I hate facebook. I hate what it stands for and what it is. I had one for 6 years and deleted it in January, after I came to the realization that I was refreshing this website that was full of over-sharing and just brings everyone into everyone else's business.

Aside from that, Facebook's privacy issues have always been of concern to me. The fact that my pictures become their pictures, really bothered me. It would be beyond IRONIC if RIM, which has always stood for the best in mobile security (privacy) were to be bought by company that I feel stands for the complete opposite. The fact that people have to Google-search for workarounds to Facebook's invasive privacy policies is scary to me. Facebook also does not seem to listen to user feedback about the changes they make. Remember when Timeline came, and everyone hated it? Facebook's stance was pretty much, "Here is this new Timeline feature. Click here to have it now, but in a few months, you will have it whether you like it or not." That is the OPPOSITE of what BlackBerry has meant for me. BlackBerry has always been about customization, and being straight forward. Facebook is none of those things (he11, RIM even had the old "Legacy" BlackBerry ringtones available to be downloaded to newer devices, they recognize that people like what they know!)

I know that Facebook buying RIM would ultimately be a business decision, without drawing parallels between the BlackBerry phones and Facebook's policies. I cringed when Facebook bought Instagram (I use it on my iPod touch), but I think I'd probably be pretty ..outraged.. if Facebook were to buy RIM. Again, there is nothing we as consumers can do about who could buy RIM, and it is pretty dumb to even feel angry about who would buy the maker of my PHONE, but if I had to choose, I'd much rather Amazon be involved.
    06-28-12 01:53 AM
    Facebook and RIM seem like the worst possible cultural clash. It's like AOL and TimeWarner, but much worse.
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    06-28-12 02:02 AM
    In regards to the Sony idea, it might be a good one. Imagine Sony phones and even PS4 all using BB10 (or some variant). I imagine the ecosystem would explode. RIM could benefit financially from such an endeavor and get more content. I think it's probably a long shot, but I think it could be more beneficial to RIM than a deal with Microsoft.
    06-28-12 03:08 PM
    There's no reason to think RIM couldn't partner with more than one of these prospects.

I've been floating the idea of Samsung taking a stake in RIM for a few days now. Samsung wants something other than Android, and this gets them a beautiful new OS that already has something of an ecosystem developed. It also gets them access to BIS/BES and BBM.

But even if this one comes to pass, why not partner with Amazon for content, too? I could see it happening.
    06-28-12 03:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD