11-21-13 11:02 AM
45 12
tools
    11-19-13 03:09 PM
    Come Jan. 1, those in the Army who want to make the switch from the current legacy BlackBerry devices to the new BlackBerry10 will be able to do so when new servers come online.
    Yeah! Maybe sales will pickup in Jan when the Army starts buying new BB10 devices.

If BlackBerry gets their act together, may this Android / iOS pilot program will not amount to anything.... oh wait looks like maybe it is too late.

"We expect over the next several years that the majority of users that are currently using BlackBerrys will migrate to an iOS or Android device and they will leave the BlackBerry service and go to the new DISA mobility service," he said.

Some commands are taking that option right away. One will be switching its 10,000 BlackBerry devices to Androids on Jan. 1, Mattison said.

Currently, of the 100,000 government issued phones in the hands of Army personnel -- mostly senior officers -- about 70,000 are BlackBerrys, he said. The "vast majority" will be making the switch, he added.
    11-19-13 03:16 PM
    So, is all the security talk BS? Is there anything left that makes BlackBerry more secure than the others. It doesn't look like the us government thinks so these days.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BergerKing; 11-19-13 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Edited language.
    11-19-13 03:19 PM
    This is NOT news.

I'll say the same thing I said when this first came up:

• BES10 can manage iOS and Android devices - they still can make money that way;
    • BlackBerry - BB10 or Legacy BBOS - has some security certs that the other platforms still lack.
    Doolittle2 likes this.
    11-19-13 03:21 PM
    So, is all the security talk BS? Is there anything left that makes BlackBerry more secure than the others. It doesn't look like the us government thinks so these days.
    When a couple of switches can knock out your whole system for days.... that is a HUGE security concern.

That said we don't know what security measures they are implementing and these devices are not used for anything that would be considered a security risk to begin with.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 11-19-13 at 09:54 PM.
    11-19-13 03:23 PM
    They can go ahead with android devices lol probably doing this to have another excuse to start a war.

"ZOMG we were using our truely SECURED ANDROID DEVICES when we got spied by ____enter any country____, it's a violation of our terms, war declared"

*yawn*.

BB4LIFE.
    Mr.mister and Thesmartmale like this.
    11-19-13 03:26 PM
    This is NOT news.

I'll say the same thing I said when this first came up:

• BES10 can manage iOS and Android devices - they still can make money that way;
    • BlackBerry - BB10 or Legacy BBOS - has some security certs that the other platforms still lack.
    Except DISA already selected Fixmo to provide security.

EDIT: Fixmo Selected to Provide Mobile Security and Data Protection Solutions to U.S. Department of Defense as Part of $16M MDM Contract | Fixmo Inc.
    11-19-13 03:34 PM
    How does that change anything I said?

I didn't mention other MDM solutions NOR did I say they were not capable of offering the needed level of security (which most can't yet). I talked about the mobile OS' and BES10 - that still holds true.

Contracts come and go. If Fixmo proves not up to the tast (not saying it will or won't) then there is BB10.
    11-19-13 05:07 PM
    How does that change anything I said?
    You said:
    BES10 can manage iOS and Android devices - they still can make money that way;
    Fixmo was already selected to manage Android and iOS, BES10 can't make money that way.

BlackBerry - BB10 or Legacy BBOS - has some security certs that the other platforms still lack.
    Not necessarily true. From everything I’ve read, both iOS and Samsung have met all standards. Samsung is really the only Android player right now.

I didn't mention other MDM solutions NOR did I say they were not capable of offering the needed level of security (which most can't yet). I talked about the mobile OS' and BES10 - that still holds true.
    Fixmo manages Android and iOS. BES10 can still be used, if users select BB10.

Contracts come and go. If Fixmo proves not up to the tast (not saying it will or won't) then there is BB10.
    Huh? Do you know what Fixmo is compared to BES10? What are you talking about when you say, then there is BB10?

Do you have any shred of evidence that BES10 provides a higher level of security to Fixmo? Since you said yet.

Fixmo SafeZone Secure Workspace Solution | Fixmo Inc.
    Fixmo Sentinel Integrity Verification Service | Fixmo Inc.
    11-19-13 07:11 PM
    When a couple of switches can knock out your whole system for days.... that is a HUGE security concern.
    That's not a security concern that's a reliability concern.

But that's with any cloud service. Apple, Google, Microsoft. And yes BIS was a cloud service also. Before the cloud was even had a name.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 08:29 PM
    That's not a security concern that's a reliability concern.

But that's with any cloud service. Apple, Google, Microsoft. And yes BIS was a cloud service also. Before the cloud was even had a name.

Posted via CB10
    Hipster BlackBerry,
    Had cloud before it was named cloud.

The future is black....
    11-19-13 08:46 PM
    Kinda funny, considering Fixmo is basically a short list of ex BB employees and they also got their start on.... BB apps. But then again, they just bought their way into MDM anyway - http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...120765264.html
    11-19-13 08:56 PM
    Kinda funny, considering Fixmo is basically a short list of ex BB employees and they also got their start on.... BB apps. But then again, they just bought their way into MDM anyway - Fixmo Inc. Completes Acquisition of Conceivium Business Solutions Inc., Giving Customers an End-to-end Mobile Infrastructure Management... -- TORONTO, April 27
    They seem to be doing fairly well at it.
    11-19-13 08:59 PM
    Of Fixmo's 8 big managers, 2 are former BB. The big name is see is Bruce Gilley. He must have a lot of DoD connections.

Management | Fixmo Inc.
    11-19-13 09:07 PM
    They seem to be doing fairly well at it.
    Hope it stays that way for them, the whole MDM market is pretty crowded these days. I'm sure we'll soon be seeing reports of bigger companies buying smaller guys out to help thin things out.
    anon1727506 likes this.
    11-19-13 09:07 PM
    Hope it stays that way for them, the whole MDM market is pretty crowded these days. I'm sure we'll soon be seeing reports of bigger companies buying smaller guys out to help thin things out.
    Gartner has Fixmo among the big 6. (BB is in the top 18). But Gartner tracks 120 different MDM providers.
    techvisor likes this.
    11-19-13 09:10 PM
    Of Fixmo's 8 big managers, 2 are former BB. The big name is see is Bruce Gilley. He must have a lot of DoD connections.

Management | Fixmo Inc.
    Rick Segal was a partner in the BlackBerry Partner's Fund.
    11-19-13 09:10 PM
    Gartner has Fixmo among the big 6. (BB is in the top 18). But Gartner tracks 120 different MDM providers.
    Good Knowledge about BB...do you work for an investment bank?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 09:43 PM
    Good Knowledge about BB...do you work for an investment bank?

Posted via CB10
    Nope, I had a reason to learn about it.
    11-19-13 09:51 PM
    Nope, I had a reason to learn about it.
    And that will be on the short side I guess?

Posted via CB10
    phylez likes this.
    11-19-13 09:57 PM
    If the final guidance for using iPhones by Department of Defense workers is anything like the interim guide, BlackBerry might have a shot at holding onto a sizeable group of users.
    The Defense Department Interim guidelines for using iOS 6 devices, issued in January, strips down the devices and requires so many additional management tools, many groups may not be interested.

The Interim Security Configuration Guide recommends that admins use mobile device management, mobile application management, mobile device integrity scanning, mobile email management, a security container, a browser installed in a security container, and install a smart card reader.
    They?re asked to block Safari for security reasons, and install a third party browser instead. Users can?t use iMessage, iTunes, or the App Store.
    Admins also need to make sure that the browser, VPN client, and email client run in a secure container.
    Since the Wi-Fi in iOS 6 does not meet the DoD?s security requirements, users can?t use the phones or iPads to connect to the DoD?s Wi-Fi network. They can use DoD Wi-Fi networks that only connect to the Internet. Using a home Wi-Fi network is authorized but public networks aren?t.
    Bluetooth use is also pretty limited. Users can have a DoD approved smart card reader and headset, but there are no car Bluetooth products that are approved.
    This isn?t the final guide and the DoD hasn?t issued guidance for supporting BlackBerry 10 or current Android devices, so it?s hard to know how onerous this setup is by comparison. A recently updated implementation guide for the old version of BlackBerry devices allows for the use of many included apps like Messenger, the browser, smart card reader, and games. Most of the management happens through the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.
    Since the newest BES will allow the management of other phone platforms, admins at the DoD might be able to easily add iOS devices and manage them alongside BlackBerry devices. If they don't already have a BES or if the new BES tools for managing other phone platforms doesn't meet all the requirements, allowing iPhones might be a hassle.
    Plus, disabling features that make an iPhone attractive to users might make workers less interested to have one issued by their employer. Many government workers already carry two phones so that they can choose what they like for personal use and because of strict policies against using an employer issued phone for personal reasons. In that case, a stripped-down iPhone might not be all that attractive as a work device.

Posted via CB10
    phylez likes this.
    11-19-13 10:07 PM
    If the final guidance for using iPhones by Department of Defense workers is anything like the interim guide, BlackBerry might have a shot at holding onto a sizeable group of users.
    The Defense Department Interim guidelines for using iOS 6 devices, issued in January, strips down the devices and requires so many additional management tools, many groups may not be interested.

The Interim Security Configuration Guide recommends that admins use mobile device management, mobile application management, mobile device integrity scanning, mobile email management, a security container, a browser installed in a security container, and install a smart card reader.
    They?re asked to block Safari for security reasons, and install a third party browser instead. Users can?t use iMessage, iTunes, or the App Store.
    Admins also need to make sure that the browser, VPN client, and email client run in a secure container.
    Since the Wi-Fi in iOS 6 does not meet the DoD?s security requirements, users can?t use the phones or iPads to connect to the DoD?s Wi-Fi network. They can use DoD Wi-Fi networks that only connect to the Internet. Using a home Wi-Fi network is authorized but public networks aren?t.
    Bluetooth use is also pretty limited. Users can have a DoD approved smart card reader and headset, but there are no car Bluetooth products that are approved.
    This isn?t the final guide and the DoD hasn?t issued guidance for supporting BlackBerry 10 or current Android devices, so it?s hard to know how onerous this setup is by comparison. A recently updated implementation guide for the old version of BlackBerry devices allows for the use of many included apps like Messenger, the browser, smart card reader, and games. Most of the management happens through the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.
    Since the newest BES will allow the management of other phone platforms, admins at the DoD might be able to easily add iOS devices and manage them alongside BlackBerry devices. If they don't already have a BES or if the new BES tools for managing other phone platforms doesn't meet all the requirements, allowing iPhones might be a hassle.
    Plus, disabling features that make an iPhone attractive to users might make workers less interested to have one issued by their employer. Many government workers already carry two phones so that they can choose what they like for personal use and because of strict policies against using an employer issued phone for personal reasons. In that case, a stripped-down iPhone might not be all that attractive as a work device.

Posted via CB10
    Although I am a big BlackBerry believer, I don't agree with you...Currently Apple enjoys a brand more valuable than brand build by coke over 200 years..When you give an option to those Defense personal they would run to buy IPhone 5 as they have never before enjoyed iOS.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 10:22 PM
    The standards from January have already been superseded. New guidance came out in May. Some info can be found here:

http://gcn.com/articles/2013/05/29/b...droid.aspx?m=1

Sent from my GT-N5110 using CB Forums mobile app
    techvisor and awindsr like this.
    11-19-13 10:24 PM
    They can go ahead with android devices lol probably doing this to have another excuse to start a war.

"ZOMG we were using our truely SECURED ANDROID DEVICES when we got spied by ____enter any country____, it's a violation of our terms, war declared"

*yawn*.

BB4LIFE.
    Nicely said

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 11:01 PM
    And that will be on the short side I guess?

Posted via CB10
    Then you would guess wrong. Don't try to force things into your perspective.

It has to do with what I do for a living.
    techvisor likes this.
    11-20-13 08:21 AM
45 12