04-14-17 12:47 PM
213 ... 56789
tools
    Whatever the reasons were for the Priv's lackluster launch its disappointing from a customer, shareholder and employee perspective for those involved.

With Blackberry selling 600-700k devices a quarter total even 1 million Priv's sold a quarter would have been good for BlackBerry but weak overall for a flagship Android. The expectations weren't very high but it doesn't appear they were really met at all. We still don't know exactly but all indications point to another weak launch.

I recently emailed both gentleman involved with the device business that were recently hired. I spoke at length about some very minor changes that MUST change for any upcoming devices. They acknowledged the issues and of course promised to continue to work together. Hopefully the next Android device or two has a meaningful level of success or that's it for the hardware division and all the jobs with it. The shareholders and the market will have spoken loud and clear.

I still believe the hardware division has been John Chen's biggest headache to turn around. I personally don't think he foresaw the significant decline in unit sales literally quarter over quarter while at the same time launching new devices and new strategies.

Hopefully the earnings release next week surprises the crap out of everyone in a good way as the hardware division has been cut to the bone and not much else is left to cut other than the division it's self and nobody wants that!

Posted via CB10
    Cutting to the bone is more appropriate in the meat business. Hard to compete on a shoe string.

It is really sad for BlackBerry PKB enthusiasts as there are no other options.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 06-18-16 at 01:28 AM.
    06-18-16 12:55 AM
    If they would have introduced the Priv at 499.00 US so it would attract buyers and bring folks back to the brand. It may have had a chance.

You can't expect folks to pay a premium price for a device from a manufacturer who has lost a lot of its once iconic image.
    The price at launch was too expensive as you said. With 8 GB RAM and 128 GB flash storage internal would have made the original price realistic.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    06-20-16 06:50 PM
    The flip side is that probably not that many customers are coming in looking for a slider or a BlackBerry.

You have to wonder how much research BlackBerry did before giving the green light to a slider.
    Without a physical keyboard I would not have bought the BlackBerry Priv and stayed with my BlackBerry Q5.

Sigewif likes this.
    06-20-16 06:55 PM
    Without a physical keyboard I would not have bought the BlackBerry Priv and stayed with my BlackBerry Q5.

The proof is in the results. BlackBerry, slider and too expensive.
    06-20-16 10:24 PM
    My humble opinion--85% PRICE

edit: wrong comment-my fingers are working faster than my brain
    And the name.
    06-23-16 10:28 PM
    I think this is AT&T giving up on Android BlackBerry . Unless the Hamburg comes out really really soon, it could be all she wrote for BlackBerry phones. I do not see a future for BB10 phones consumer or Enterprise even with an updated run time. Forget about Enterprise too as a potential saviour.

So many poor decisions. Here is hoping that some manufacturer buys the rights to the Bold style PKB design.
    You do have to wonder if BB would have just committed to OS10, could it have found a stable point of 3M sales a year between the loyalists and Enterprise? Troy would know this. Plus the security certification will always be better. I do not pretend to know what the driver costs were but Chen did mention it more than once.

How many BB users left, upwards of 25 million? How many like us who will keep buying BB10 devices, 5 or 10%? That's well on the way to 3M per year, throw in Enterprise and government?

Posted via CB10
    06-24-16 06:23 PM
    Curves just curious what was the gist of the changes you proposed in your email?

Posted via CB10
    06-24-16 06:29 PM
    He knows how to sell Apple and Samsung because each of those companies has a representative in his store at least once a month. That rep will clean up the display (including replacing non-working demo phones and such) and will often give the sales staff demo phones to carry for a month or two. LG, HTC, and Moto won't be in quite as often - every 6-8 weeks or so, but they'll do the same thing: answer questions, give demos, clean up the displays, and make sure the sales staff is up to speed.

The last time anyone saw a BB rep was in September 2013, as they were all let go. Without that personal contact, BB phones are barely on the sales reps' radar. Most probably don't even know the Priv runs Android, and they certainly don't know what's special about it. BB simply can't afford a fleet of reps to visit stores, but they also aren't going to get any significant traction from the carriers without them. It's a Catch-22...
    But see, what doesn't make sense is, there are some talented, well paid, experienced executives running companies like BlackBerry. Do they not know that this is a basic thing that makes sales happen? When you actually work with sales staffs in stores?

Otherwise why even release phones to consumers at all via carriers? What was Chen hoping AT&T staff would do without any direction, you know?

Posted via CB10
    06-24-16 06:37 PM

But see, what doesn't make sense is, there are some talented, well paid, experienced executives running companies like BlackBerry. Do they not know that this is a basic thing that makes sales happen? When you actually work with sales staffs in stores?

Otherwise why even release phones to consumers at all via carriers? What was Chen hoping AT&T staff would do without any direction, you know?
    BB's choices were:

• Release phones with no support for carriers, and hope for the best.
    • Don't release anymore phones.

They couldn't afford any other options - or perhaps the board won't support any other options, which is effectively the same thing.

Chen realizes that most people see BB as a smartphone manufacturer - it's BB's identity, for better or worse - and he's doing his best to stay in the game, but he is well aware that the best he can really hope for is bare survival and break-even - and he is still pretty far from achieving even that, after 3 years.
    Last edited by Troy Tiscareno; 06-24-16 at 08:15 PM.
    app_Developer and JeepBB like this.
    06-24-16 06:58 PM
    I think the need to only sell 3 million phones is help by the fact that blackberry does not have to worry about the cost associated with the creation of custom drivers, like with BB10. I bet that even with taking in mind cost cutting and the outsourcing of the inventory and building of phones that blackberry would have to sell way more than 3 million BB10 phones (more like between 8 & 10 million).

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-24-16 07:16 PM
    Just the cost of maintaining the BB10 platform (which would be required to keep selling BB10 phones, and includes lots of costs beyond just the OS itself) would mean that BB would need to be able to sell a minimum of around 10M phones per year, or 2.5M per quarter. That's FIVE TIMES what they are currently selling.

There's just no way that could happen - BB's cash reserves would be run down to zero in a couple of quarters.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-24-16 08:17 PM
    ...Most probably don't even know the Priv runs Android, and they certainly don't know what's special about it.
    This is a huge problem. A relative of mine just replaced her Q10 with a Samsung. She wanted a BlackBerry, but the Rogers store actively discouraged it. First they claimed to have no Passports available, and they still wanted $300 for the Priv on contract, wheras the Samsung was basically free.

I know the Best Buy store near me has a working Priv on display (Bell kiosk). The phone is in a holder with the keyboard closed and no way to open it.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-16 09:42 PM
    Just the cost of maintaining the BB10 platform (which would be required to keep selling BB10 phones, and includes lots of costs beyond just the OS itself) would mean that BB would need to be able to sell a minimum of around 10M phones per year, or 2.5M per quarter. That's FIVE TIMES what they are currently selling.

There's just no way that could happen - BB's cash reserves would be run down to zero in a couple of quarters.
    Man, I don't know where you come up with those numbers. What would be the cost of maintaining a fully developed BB10 platform? How many developers would you need? What other costs would be beyond the OS? You seem to know the numbers, so can you please release them so we can discuss?
    06-25-16 07:58 AM
    Man, I don't know where you come up with those numbers. What would be the cost of maintaining a fully developed BB10 platform? How many developers would you need? What other costs would be beyond the OS? You seem to know the numbers, so can you please release them so we can discuss?
    10M is from BB's own numbers, back when BB10 was going to be a fully supported platform.

The lower numbers came later, after they had scaled back to just 2 security updates and no new SoC's.
    Troy Tiscareno and JeepBB like this.
    06-25-16 10:22 AM
    I am very sure that if there was any way to profit from BB10 devices they would do so. You have to think that they have all the data.
    06-25-16 02:03 PM
    I am very sure that if there was any way to profit from BB10 devices they would do so. You have to think that they have all the data.
    Yes, I am sure that BlackBerry's management is making every right decision and not missing a single opportunity.

I think they can't afford to lose their last chance at relevancy. Keep releasing Passports and keep a few QNX people and BB10 people around.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-16 11:37 AM
    Yes, I am sure that BlackBerry's management is making every right decision and not missing a single opportunity.

I think they can't afford to lose their last chance at relevancy. Keep releasing Passports and keep a few QNX people and BB10 people around.

Posted via CB10
    If Enterprise would have adopted to the Passport well then maybe but they did not. At my local store they still stock the Classic but not the Passport.
    06-27-16 03:45 PM
    Man, I don't know where you come up with those numbers.
    Other than BBRY themselves who have already said as much?

Or what pretty much every hardware manufacturer has recognized?
    06-28-16 04:01 PM
    Too bad they didn't wait a bit longer; as I saw on Bell and Rogers- the Priv is now 199 and Telus on the $ 90 plan has it for $100.00.
    06-28-16 07:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    QNX people have a future and are very busy these days. BB10 people are mostly gone with a few moved to work on Android.

BlackBerry's chance at relevance, died as Mike and Jim laughed at Steve Jobs and his toy phone.... It was too late in 2010 to start working on a new platform, it was too late in 2013 to release that platform as a beta product. And in 2014 when Chen pulled the plug on BB10 is was too late to do anything but move on.
    techvisor likes this.
    07-11-16 01:45 PM
    QNX people have a future and are very busy these days. BB10 people are mostly gone with a few moved to work on Android.

BlackBerry's chance at relevance, died as Mike and Jim laughed at Steve Jobs and his toy phone.... It was too late in 2010 to start working on a new platform, it was too late in 2013 to release that platform as a beta product. And in 2014 when Chen pulled the plug on BB10 is was too late to do anything but move on.
    Thor killed BB10 when he put BlackBerry up for sale... but agree with the rest of your post.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-11-16 04:16 PM
    The only thing killing BB10 is a lack of marketing, including improving brand visibility. They could have fixed Thor (or the BoD) putting the company up for sale with the right marketing strategy.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-16 09:37 PM
    The only thing killing BB10 is a lack of marketing, including improving brand visibility. They could have fixed Thor (or the BoD) putting the company up for sale with the right marketing strategy.

Posted via CB10
    Marketing only works if you have a good product.

They marketed BB10 when the Z10 and Q10 launched. Sadly BB10 was buggy back then, but ultimately it just didn't do what consumers expect of a smartphone.... APPS. And that simply has only gotten worse now that they told Developers it over.

Sure we currently have a HACK that allows us access to Google Play... but that is borrowed time and requires some work on the part of the user that I just don't think very many would chose to subject themselves too... Especially with the old hardware selection that BB10 has to offer.

Sadly I don't think marketing the PRIV would have helped all that much either. The price and features just didn't meet what the consumer market already has....
    07-12-16 07:49 AM
    Marketing only works if you have a good product.

They marketed BB10 when the Z10 and Q10 launched. Sadly BB10 was buggy back then, but ultimately it just didn't do what consumers expect of a smartphone.... APPS. And that simply has only gotten worse now that they told Developers it over.

Sure we currently have a HACK that allows us access to Google Play... but that is borrowed time and requires some work on the part of the user that I just don't think very many would chose to subject themselves too... Especially with the old hardware selection that BB10 has to offer.

Sadly I don't think marketing the PRIV would have helped all that much either. The price and features just didn't meet what the consumer market already has....
    Well, I think it is a good product with or without apps. I use it heavily for work and I think others would too if they knew how elegant it is or that it even existed.

I'm tired of arguing with you about this on a BlackBerry fan website. BB10 is a work of genius compared to Android. If you think it's just sort of OK or is unusable without Android apps, you are entitled to your opinion just as I am entitled to mine. But what is your purpose in trolling a BlackBerry fans site? Why don't you slam BB10 on Android Central?

I understand having differences of opinion but normally you don't slam a product endlessly on a fan website. BB10 is the best opportunity BlackBerry has. They could still leverage it after all their missteps if they played their cards right. This is my opinion. I know yours already.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-16 02:28 PM
    I'm tired of arguing with you about this on a BlackBerry fan website.
    Then stop arguing.

Yes, it really is that simple.
    07-12-16 04:23 PM
213 ... 56789