04-14-17 01:47 PM
213 ... 45678 ...
tools
    I think the Hamburg is as close to the Passport as you will see because Android does not support a square screen. A larger Passport mini tablet with cell phone capability running Android sounds good.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, they'd have to adjust the aspect ratio to 4:3, maybe make it a bit narrower but not much, the bigger pkb is the main thing. I guess between the Rome (or Hamburg, whichever is the pkb model) and a Passport variant would be like the difference between the 6 / 6+, etc is what I'm thinking.

EDIT: I don't know if people would go for a mini tablet with pkb, I think for most tablets are primarily media consumption devices and not for doing a lot of texting.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Reaney; 06-09-16 at 09:55 AM.
    06-09-16 09:29 AM
    Maybe they should blame their lackluster sales on their crappy display when it rolled out. Any att store I ever waltzed in didn't even have them charged up to hold and see. If a store manager has their 'elite' i-candybar phone what incentive does a store have to push a blackberry phone for say those who hate touch screen only. You get what you pay for. Bought a classic and a PRIV, my 50 sumthin dad loves his classic after having a crappy lg he couldn't operate. Att missed the boat- blackberry gave every complainer what they wanted, more access 2 apps. Admittedly, textra doesn't have the same texting experience but is your phone a workhorse or a playtoy? Kudos for att for debuting the PRIV shame shame on their sales tactics and update lacks...
    06-09-16 09:43 PM
    What the mainstream android user wants is a decent secondary camera, something BlackBerry didn't deliver. Also, the flip phone form factor has had its day.

PP SE - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ιт > 
    06-10-16 06:57 AM
    Maybe they should blame their lackluster sales on their crappy display when it rolled out. Any att store I ever waltzed in didn't even have them charged up to hold and see. If a store manager has their 'elite' i-candybar phone what incentive does a store have to push a blackberry phone for say those who hate touch screen only. You get what you pay for. Bought a classic and a PRIV, my 50 sumthin dad loves his classic after having a crappy lg he couldn't operate. Att missed the boat- blackberry gave every complainer what they wanted, more access 2 apps. Admittedly, textra doesn't have the same texting experience but is your phone a workhorse or a playtoy? Kudos for att for debuting the PRIV shame shame on their sales tactics and update lacks...
    Did BlackBerry support AT&T and their sales people like other OEMs do? How many BlackBerry sales reps are there visiting stores?
    Did BlackBerry put forth a device that sales people could sell and know the customer would be happy and not return it? (Based on the AT&T rep that's a no - based on the number of post here and Android Central... I'd say there were some definite QC issues. A BlackBerry fan might go back and ask for a 2nd, 3rd or 4th PRIV... most others just wanted something else. But either way that wasted salespeople's time).
    Did BlackBerry make the PRIV easy for sales people to sell? Great features that people want at an affordable price? No, while others are offering fingerprint readers and waterproofing... BlackBerry had a redundant physical keyboard and some vague line about privacy for $100 more than the competition.

I think if you were to walk in the shoes of a carrier salesperson for a few days, you'd see there was a reason for the PRIV not to be there focus.
    JeepBB, techvisor and SeeBeeEss like this.
    06-10-16 08:19 AM
    At our local Telus store the working PRIV does not have a working PKB. They can not fix the demo model because they no longer see a BlackBerry rep.

At the Bell store all they have is a non working slab.

Basically, the only consumers who would be buying a PRIV are those who really motivated prior to going to the store. They need to advertise its unique features and have working models.

Can not get those new models fast enough. They also should sell to BlackBerry owners at a special price.

One sales feature could be a free extended warranty.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-16 09:50 AM
    At our local Telus store the working PRIV does not have a working PKB. They can not fix the demo model because they no longer see a BlackBerry rep.

Basically, the only consumers who would be buying a PRIV are those who really motivated prior to going to the store. They need to advertise its unique features and have working models.

Can not get those new models fast enough. They also should sell to BlackBerry owners at a special price.

One sales feature could be a free extended warranty.

Posted via CB10
    Most any retails store you will find devices that aren't working... can be most any brand, unless that Brand is very popular or like in the case of Samsung and Best Buy that brand has their one store inside.

But if it's a device that people don't pay attention to, the sales people don't waste their time on it either. I remember back at the launch of the Z10 there were some here that took it upon themselves to go around and "fix" the displays in some store... true dedicated fans.

At this point I think only BlackBerry owners are buying... so that would mean giving "rewards" to maybe 90% of buyers. They just can't afford it.

Now extended warranty might not be too bad of an idea.... depending on QC.
    techvisor likes this.
    06-10-16 11:32 AM

I was in a Bell store a few months ago and saw a working Priv on display. I got to play with it but the salesperson knew absolutely nothing about it and I ended up answering HIS questions about the device. So how could that person reasonably be able to sell that phone to anyone?
    06-10-16 05:25 PM
    I was in a Bell store a few months ago and saw a working Priv on display. I got to play with it but the salesperson knew absolutely nothing about it and I ended up answering HIS questions about the device. So how could that person reasonably be able to sell that phone to anyone?
    The flip side is that probably not that many customers are coming in looking for a slider or a BlackBerry.

You have to wonder how much research BlackBerry did before giving the green light to a slider.
    techvisor and SeeBeeEss like this.
    06-10-16 09:48 PM
    He knows how to sell Apple and Samsung because each of those companies has a representative in his store at least once a month. That rep will clean up the display (including replacing non-working demo phones and such) and will often give the sales staff demo phones to carry for a month or two. LG, HTC, and Moto won't be in quite as often - every 6-8 weeks or so, but they'll do the same thing: answer questions, give demos, clean up the displays, and make sure the sales staff is up to speed.

The last time anyone saw a BB rep was in September 2013, as they were all let go. Without that personal contact, BB phones are barely on the sales reps' radar. Most probably don't even know the Priv runs Android, and they certainly don't know what's special about it. BB simply can't afford a fleet of reps to visit stores, but they also aren't going to get any significant traction from the carriers without them. It's a Catch-22...
    Bbnivende, kbz1960, JeepBB and 6 others like this.
    06-10-16 09:52 PM
    Visited a Vodafone store in Finchley London. Prive was on display, power supply was faulty and salesman immediately tried to steer me to an S7 edge.

To make matters worse, he even told me Android was a better operating system than Blackberry, clearly they are not informed or incentivised in selling a BlackBerry

I have to be honest and say that following the Marshmallow update, Priv is the best Android I have ever used, better than S7 and LG. Still however prefer and miss the Blackberry 10 operating system but need to move on now. .....
    Last edited by fabio1; 06-11-16 at 12:16 PM.
    06-11-16 01:15 AM
    You are 100% correct! I wrote those words and then I thought I had not hit the "POST QUICK REPLY" button and exited the thread. Turns out that did not happen. I had realized too late EXACTLY what this thread was about. My bad. Anyway, it should have been a comment on why the Priv sales (presumably) have not been that great.
    The dominant reason is lack of a compelling need outside of the security-related market, which is small. The keyboard is not important except to the long time BlackBerry users. Otherwise it is just another smartphone. That market has become commodity and is saturated on the high end. 1/2 the world's population already (over 4 billion. People) now have cell phones.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    techvisor likes this.
    06-12-16 03:06 PM
    All Privs have been pulled from Best Buy Canada...can only special order now.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-16 08:37 PM
    The dominant reason is lack of a compelling need outside of the security-related market, which is small.
    We will have to agree to disagree. I still believe price was the dominant reason it has not sold that well. I know that very few people want a physical keyboard but I remember reading Android Central, Android Authority, XDA and several other sites who were genuinely interested in checking the Priv out but then when the price was announced, it was like rats leaving a sinking ship. People were really put off by the price announcement and interest was quickly subdued.
    06-12-16 11:30 PM
    We will have to agree to disagree. I still believe price was the dominant reason it has not sold that well. I know that very few people want a physical keyboard but I remember reading Android Central, Android Authority, XDA and several other sites who were genuinely interested in checking the Priv out but then when the price was announced, it was like rats leaving a sinking ship. People were really put off by the price announcement and interest was quickly subdued.
    While price was a big factor the number one comment I get on my phone is "oh I didn't realize it ran Android".

There is a massive problem in the market in that people have no clue Priv runs Android. I had one business man say to me he would have bought a Priv instead of a S7 if he knew as he loves them qwertys.

Marketing is just not there.

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    Bluenoser63 and Josh Barrick like this.
    06-13-16 11:33 AM
    There are many here they might would buy another BlackBerry....

The problem is BlackBerry is not providing a compelling enough reason for many of us to do so. I think the two new phones are not really meant for fans...
    I would buy another Blackberry if the phone had BB10. I don't like the Android UI.

Posted via CB10
    Asvertus likes this.
    06-14-16 06:39 AM
    Then I guess it is an iPhone for you.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-16 08:05 AM
    The product just didn't match the price....
    techvisor and brookie229 like this.
    06-14-16 08:38 AM
    What the mainstream android user wants is a decent secondary camera, something BlackBerry didn't deliver. Also, the flip phone form factor has had its day.

PP SE - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ιт > 
    Hold that thought...
    http://www.androidauthority.com/sams...mshell-698186/

*ME173X
    06-14-16 09:22 AM
    Just because Samsung plans to make and release such a device for the Asian market... doesn't mean it the form factor hasn't seen it's day.

What's sad is I think the Kyocera - DuraXV Plus has probable stolen most of the Corporate business that BlackBerry once had at Verizon.
    06-14-16 09:36 AM
    Just because Samsung plans to make and release such a device for the Asian market... doesn't mean it the form factor hasn't seen it's day.
    True. But I'm pretty sure that if ever the Samsung clamshell sees the light of day, it'll still sell a lot more than whatever handset/s that BlackBerry would be offering then. Would love to be wrong, though.

*ME173X
    06-14-16 10:07 AM
    True. But I'm pretty sure that if ever the Samsung clamshell sees the light of day, it'll still sell a lot more than whatever handset/s that BlackBerry would be offering then. Would love to be wrong, though.

*ME173X
    I know Verizon sells a few clamshell dumb phones. Our corporate rep told me once that some of her clients that once used BlackBerry had gone back to using some of these... thus they sell them with and without cameras just like they once did BlackBerries. In fact on Verizon, that's the only way the Classic comes anymore... they must have sold out of the Classic with the camera.

Would be interesting to see how the PRIV ranked against other devcies in one carrier's lineup.... was the PRIV the worst selling product?
    06-14-16 10:27 AM
    Posted via CB10
    06-17-16 08:03 AM
    I know Verizon sells a few clamshell dumb phones. Our corporate rep told me once that some of her clients that once used BlackBerry had gone back to using some of these... thus they sell them with and without cameras just like they once did BlackBerries. In fact on Verizon, that's the only way the Classic comes anymore... they must have sold out of the Classic with the camera.

Would be interesting to see how the PRIV ranked against other devcies in one carrier's lineup.... was the PRIV the worst selling product?
    Funny, there were many here that said that Verizon would save the PRIV. Did not work out that way.
    06-17-16 02:57 PM
    Funny, there were many here that said that Verizon would save the PRIV. Did not work out that way.
    Well, that might have been true if they released it when AT&T did and not so many months later. The AT&T exclusive and Verizon dragging their feet killed it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-17-16 07:47 PM
    Whatever the reasons were for the Priv's lackluster launch its disappointing from a customer, shareholder and employee perspective for those involved.

With Blackberry selling 600-700k devices a quarter total even 1 million Priv's sold a quarter would have been good for BlackBerry but weak overall for a flagship Android. The expectations weren't very high but it doesn't appear they were really met at all. We still don't know exactly but all indications point to another weak launch.

I recently emailed both gentleman involved with the device business that were recently hired. I spoke at length about some very minor changes that MUST change for any upcoming devices. They acknowledged the issues and of course promised to continue to work together. Hopefully the next Android device or two has a meaningful level of success or that's it for the hardware division and all the jobs with it. The shareholders and the market will have spoken loud and clear.

I still believe the hardware division has been John Chen's biggest headache to turn around. I personally don't think he foresaw the significant decline in unit sales literally quarter over quarter while at the same time launching new devices and new strategies.

Hopefully the earnings release next week surprises the crap out of everyone in a good way as the hardware division has been cut to the bone and not much else is left to cut other than the division it's self and nobody wants that!

Posted via CB10
    06-17-16 09:45 PM
213 ... 45678 ...